Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Only The Valiant Podcast

BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
edited March 2012 in Other Comic Podcasts
Feel the love!

What a beautiful thread this is for the Valiant Comics podcast. Ask questions, talk Valiant, talk about the show, and get new show announcements here.

Valiant is back in 2012! Might as well party here.

Comments

• I am looking forward to this more then most other comic related things from the past several years. The movie work is tops but this is a close second....
  • BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Start the show here, Episode 67, we update calssic Valiant characters for today!

@miscatonic, yeah, they're doing some exciting things, I really hope this takes off! I'm glad others are excited about this.
  • I'm surprised Solar or Magnus were neither used in the relaunch. I also hope for Dr. Mirage and Shadowman reboots.
    Magnus and Solar are Gold Key properties, and Valiant doesn't have the rights to them. They're gonna have to make it work without them!

I'd love to see a new Valiant universe with Solar in it though!
  • Is Gold Key even still around? I would have thought those properties would have been scooped up by now.

Wow so those were licensed? I never thought of that.
    Magnus, Solar, and Turok were originally licensed characters in the "classic" Valiant universe.

Gold Ket does not specifically exist, though the company still exists, as a different name. I believe it is "Golden Books" now, or something like that. Currently, Dark Horse has the license. They've been reprinting the silver age stuff from the 60's in hardcover, and there was the failed relaunch at Dark Horse a year or two back, led by Jim Shooter. Did you read that stuff? It wasn't really that great, unfortunately.

There was a Magnus, Robot Fighter, Doctor Solar, Turok, and Mighty Samson series. It was plagued by delays and throwback writing.
  • Now that you mention it I did see that but it didn't seem to strike me, I suppose given that Shooter was involved.
    We recorded an interview with Joshua Dysart and the rest of the Valiant Comics team at Wondercon. Lot's of great stuff about what to expect to see in the new Valiant Universe:

Lots of exciting stuff in this one, check it out!
    The OTV crew has closed up shop, and we are starting a bold new project. Please check out our new show:

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Since I know near to nothing about the Ultraverse I'll give it a try.
    Cool!

Also, for our non-loyal listeners, please keep in mind what day it is :)
  • bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I might have to give this a try (because I need ANOTHER podcast to listen to). Any specific episodes where you talk about Quantum and Woody or the BWS run of Archer and Armstrong?
    @bats00, you know, oddly enough, we don't have a specific episode dedicated to either of those two. We have talked a lot about A&A, but haven't really touched on Quantum and Woody yet. I'm sure we'll get to it eventually.
  • OOOO an Ultraverse pod? Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a listen, I like me some Ultraverse.
    "Only The Ultraverse" has been the inside joke "enemies" of our podcast for a long time. We decide as an april fools to put out an Only The Ultraverse podcast, saying we have given up on Valiant. We're back on Valiant, and the Ultraverse podcast will stay up indefinitely. We don't have any immediate plans to keep recording Ultraverse episodes, but who knows?

On another note, I had never read Ultraverse books before recording this episode. I liked them! They are fun comics.
  • JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    so i have a question, I never read any valiant stuff back in the day, will listening to these podcasts help get me ready for the relaunch?
  • "Only The Ultraverse" has been the inside joke "enemies" of our podcast for a long time. We decide as an april fools to put out an Only The Ultraverse podcast, saying we have given up on Valiant. We're back on Valiant, and the Ultraverse podcast will stay up indefinitely. We don't have any immediate plans to keep recording Ultraverse episodes, but who knows?

On another note, I had never read Ultraverse books before recording this episode. I liked them! They are fun comics.
    I hate you right now. Maybe if I saw the post date and clicked on the banner I would have figured out that it was a gag.
    @Justin_TheBuck Sorry ;) The nice thing about this gag is that there actually is an honest to goodness podcast to come out of it, well, at least one episode...
  • Yeah, I got pod and it's the next one on my list to listen to.
    @JohnTilton, Our show should TOTALLY get you ready ;) The nice thing, this is a reboot, so you don't really need to know much going in to it. With the new Valiant stuff coming out soon, that has been the primary focus of our show for the last several months.

If you want to get a little background, I'd recommend a couple of our recent shows:

Episode 65: X-O Manowar's Greatest Hits - we talk about the best of X-O Manowar from the classic Valiant.

Episode 68: Interview with Joshua Dysart and the Valiant Comics Team - we interviewed Josh Dysart (writer of Harbinger), and almost the entire Valiant Comics publishing team. We talked a lot about what we can expect to see with this relaunch.

We just launched a new website redesign, and I haven't imported all our old episodes to the new site (I have to do it by hand and it takes a while). But everything is available on iTunes.
    @Justin_TheBuck, please let me know what you think of the show! We did it as part of a joke, but we tried to put together something decent.
  • Just got done listening to it and the first thing I noticed is how stiff you guys are. I'm not sure if you did this since this was a joke pod or what but you didn't sound full of life.

The next thing I noticed was that even thought you guys were poking fun a lot of the stuff it was very clear you actually liked the stuff on a genuine level.

3rd: one of you sounds like one of the guys from the Game Sack vid cast.

4th: Even if I hadn't known it was a joke I would have been saying to myself thurout the ep that something fishy is going on.

5th:I think I would listen do you guys if you stuck with Ultraverse casts.

PS
    The Nightman tv show was not 100% crap.
    @Justin_TheBuck, thanks for the feedback!

I think some of the stiffness had to do with how little I knew about Ultraverse. I've read five Ultraverse books in my life, and I read them all in the hour before recording this. We put it together really last minute.

I wanted it to kinda seem like a joke to our long time listeners, but be serious enough that people could genuinely listen to it and enjoy it. I hope that kinda came through.

I appreciate the feedback! I have no idea if we'll continue on with this.
  • JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    alright, got the last few episodes download onto my iphone, gonna be listening today at work. I'll let ya know how it goes :)
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Gonna download the last 2 episodes this weekend. Can't wait to hear the Ultraverse episode. Back in the 90s I actually read way more Ultraverse than I did Valiant. Mainly cause back then Valiant back issues were pricey and Ultraverse wasn't. And now both Valiant and Ultraverse are 2 of the many dead universes I collect. Any chance yall might do an episode of Triumphant? I want to say I remember Chiclo mentioning that he had read most of them and enjoyed them.
    @dubbat138, Chiclo's read just about every Dead Universe ;)

We don't have any specific plans for other dead universes, but you never know.
    Two Men Enter! One Man Leaves!

We throw the Valiant characters into the Thunderdome to discuss who would win in a single elimination tournament.

Episode 69 available now:

• bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I listened to the first episode today. Pretty good job guys. I will def listen again.
    @bats00 Thanks! Our first episodes were so clunky and not-good, they get better :)