Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Star Trek Into Darkness

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    random73 said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Anyway, obviously this cast aint gonna be in a TV show. Is ST TV dead until its over? Might we have to wait till 2020 and beyond?

You have to take into account two things:

1. Enterprise was received pretty negatively.

2. With Fringe ending, the only Sci-Fi show on major network television right now is Revolution (which is still on its break) and I don't think that Paramount is interested in bringing Star Trek back to TV unless it's on a major network.
    It will never be on a major network again. Not sure why they'd even want it. The way they produced and syndicated the previous shows was very profitable for them.
    Never say "never again". it might be a long stretch but Never is a mighty long time.
    Lol. It will NEVER be on a "major" network again unless we count whatever current generation of the WB or UPN as "major"
  • Options
    Wow. Is it going to seem like a let down if, after all this secrecy, Into Darkness is remarkably similar to the first Star Trek 2?
  • Options
    New trailer, be warned.... Spoilers abound.

And of course lens flares
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Spoilers in a trailer?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Planeis said:

And of course lens flares

(added embed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Thank you, J.J., for making me give a crap about Star Trek.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I liked Star Trek long before J J Abrams.

Just saying.
  • Options

I liked Star Trek long before J J Abrams.

Just saying.

+1000

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Until the 1st of the relaunch, my favorite Star Trek movie was the Galaxy Quest one. I'm not sure where it falls in the numbering of the initial movies. :)

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Until the 1st of the relaunch, my favorite Star Trek movie was the Galaxy Quest one. I'm not sure where it falls in the numbering of the initial movies. :)

M

+1000 and 1
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5ec_rPApKCA

Trailer 3 youtube link

Dear lord, please... please tell me he's not from the future... please please please please
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Let me ask you all something. I listen to a podcast called "Look At His Butt" which is a show that two women do about William Shatner and classic Trek and they take every opportunity to really just tear down the new reboot, especially Chris Pine as Kirk. Do other people feel that way? I like both versions for what they have brought to the overall franchise but I can see why this new reboot would rub classic fans the wrong way. What are other people's thoughts?

Oh, I am so looking forward to this movie. Mostly because I am hoping this really propels Cumberbatch's stock as a movie star in the States. Although I want more Sherlock!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    There can be only one Shatner [-(

I also do like both Trek versions. But only the classic one has the cult status.

In the end though all that matters is both deliver good escapism.

• Options
    @John_Steed That's how I feel but when you say, there can be only one Shatner, how do you feel about Chris Pine's performance as Kirk? Do you like it? Do you wish he was more like Shatner? Or do you feel like I do that because this is an aleternate timeline and we are given a different Kirk because of the different timeline and different upbringing and overall past that Chris Pine does a good job as Kirk because it's so different than Shatner.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

There can be only one Shatner [-(

I also do like both Trek versions. But only the classic one has the cult status.

In the end though all that matters is both deliver good escapism.

But the original was attempting to reach beyond delivering only good escapism by trying to present stories with important themes with current relevance. That's what helped to make it a cult hit to begin with, and what ultimately separates it from the current movies.
  • Options
    To me, the original series is more science fiction than what you get in the rebooted movies. The current movies is more of an action movie with a science fiction feel to it but again, it's how I see it. I think both have it's merits and I enjoy both of them for what they are.
  • Options
    @jaydee74 : See, I don't even compare the two versions. Both "timelines" are fine and each does work on its own. Chris Pine is a very capable actor - not just in this franchise. The Shat has reached a higher plane though..... The classic series will always be a bit more special to me since I grew up with that one. I feel like it has more soul than the new stuff. But then there is also way more material to digest. The new Trek is still rather light. Let's hope they have the chance to let it grow some more.
  • Options
    That's more or less how I feel as well. I also grew up with classic Trek but in the rerun stage as I was born in 1974. I think there is something quite timeless about the classic series although in actuality, it's my third favorite series behind DS9 and TNG. I love the new rebooted stuff for what it is and what it isn't. I didn't want to see these actors just ape the performance of the original actors so they bring a freshness to the parts and I like that. I'll be curious to see in what direction this movie takes the characters and what will be in store for them going forward.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    jaydee74 said:

Let me ask you all something. I listen to a podcast called "Look At His Butt" which is a show that two women do about William Shatner and classic Trek and they take every opportunity to really just tear down the new reboot, especially Chris Pine as Kirk. Do other people feel that way? I like both versions for what they have brought to the overall franchise but I can see why this new reboot would rub classic fans the wrong way. What are other people's thoughts?

I am very happy to get to see Kirk portrayed without the Shatner filter.

Should only one actor ever play Hamlet or Willie Loman?
  • Options
    I agree 100%. It's also why I love Doctor Who so much as I get to experience the lead character done by different actors and each one brings something different even though he is basically playing the same character. James Bond is another example of liking what each actor brought to the role and there is also Sherlock Holmes. That's a great point. I just wanted to get other people's opinions.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I could watch these new movies over and over. I can't last 5 minutes in the original series. I can't take Shatner (Adam West did a similar thing with Batman) seriously anymore. It dates back to when I first saw the Star Trek movies. There was some level of camp that I could not get into Kirk's character.

M.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    jaydee74 said:

To me, the original series is more science fiction than what you get in the rebooted movies. The current movies is more of an action movie with a science fiction feel to it but again, it's how I see it. I think both have it's merits and I enjoy both of them for what they are.

A lot of '60s-'70s science-fiction television seemed to devote more time to wrestling with big ideas than engaging in action. Probably due to the time period (Vietnam, Summer of Love, Watergate, etc, stirred up lots of debate and the culture of the time reflected that), and also because they didn't have the special effects to do much else. I can't help but think that if they'd had the capability, the original TV series would have featured more battles in space and fewer visits to planets populated by Nazis,cowboys, and whatever other costumes the studio had lying around.
  • Options
    If you want a lot of "big idea" talk, there's a podcast at Nerdist called Mission Log.
  • Options

If you want a lot of "big idea" talk, there's a podcast at Nerdist called Mission Log.

yep - highly recommended (not just for Trekkies)

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    jaydee74 said:

@John_Steed That's how I feel but when you say, there can be only one Shatner, how do you feel about Chris Pine's performance as Kirk? Do you like it? Do you wish he was more like Shatner? Or do you feel like I do that because this is an aleternate timeline and we are given a different Kirk because of the different timeline and different upbringing and overall past that Chris Pine does a good job as Kirk because it's so different than Shatner.

I think that SFDebris summed it up nicely
  • Options
    @RedRight88 : thanks for the link - guess I'll have a good time with SFDebris :D
  • Options
    Mission Log, huh? I will have to check it out. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I could watch these new movies over and over. I can't last 5 minutes in the original series. I can't take Shatner (Adam West did a similar thing with Batman) seriously anymore. It dates back to when I first saw the Star Trek movies. There was some level of camp that I could not get into Kirk's character.

M.

See, I feel that way with original Trek more so than I do with any of the other Trek shows that came after and especially with Shatner. I like his Kirk but the way he hams it on the screen in the show just bothers me now. My favorite Shatner stuff is mostly from the movies being II and III. He had some really great moments in those movies. Also, when I compare TOS to TNG, I just liked the overall cast of TNG more because they were actually utilized and had something to do. Not everyone agrees with me on that but what the hell did Uhura do in TOS other than answer the phone lines on the Enterprise?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited May 2013
    I posted this ad in the YouTube thread, but I figured it was Trek enough to deserve a spot here as well.

Go Bilbo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs