Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics You Are Ashamed to Admit You Have Never Read

For me, it's Y: The Last Man.

I'm so ashamed.

I have, however, just added the first three trades to my library reserve queue. So I have that going for me :)

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    There are lot, tons that I have never read and I am not ashamed of that one bit.

Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns top the list. Never read them and I'm not going to anytime soon. They just aren't on my radar right now.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Frank Miller's Ronin. As much as I love all things Frank (yes, even ASB&RTBW) I have never read this book. Fortunately I just bought it off Kevin so that situation will be remedied shortly.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Never did read Frank Miller's Batman: Year One

I remember reading The Dark Knight Returns in 1986. It was a huge thing that year. So huge that even the Swiss news media had been covering the book. Still own that very first German edition.

Why and how Batman: Year One disappeared from my radar I don't know.

(just opened amazon to order the damn book....)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Batman: Year One - But I did see the animated movie. I liked it.

All-Star Superman - Ditto the above.

Y The Last Man - It's never even been on my radar. Maybe someday in the future.

Ex Machina - Ditto above.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Batman: Year One - But I did see the animated movie. I liked it.

All-Star Superman - Ditto the above.

Y The Last Man - It's never even been on my radar. Maybe someday in the future.

Ex Machina - Ditto above.
    All of those are on the list of stuff I've not read.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Never got into Watchmen. I understand its importance with everything currently in comics (or at least how it changed everything in the 90's), but I got about 3/4 of the way through and had to put it down because I was bored out of my gourd. I don't think Moore is my cup o' tea.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hmmmm

Until 2 days ago it would have been League of Extraordniary Gentlemen. But I read it finaly and don't see what the big deal is. It is middle of the road Alan Moore.

But for stuff I am ashamed I haven't read yet.

Zap Comix-I love Crumb and underground comics but have never read an issue of Zap

Invisibles-Got every issues,but so far have only read the first issue.

Kirby and Lee's run on FF-Read the first 10 issues and was so bored I can't make myself read anymore.

Death of Gwen Stacy-I love pre-80s Spiderman but still haven't read this storyline.

Strangers in Paradise-Another one I want to read but just havn't yet.
  • Options
    Secret Wars II
    Dark Knight Strikes Again
    Atlantis Attacks
    Marville
    Trouble
    Spider-Man: Sins Past
    One More Day
    Countdown
    Ultimates 3

....Oh, I read that wrong, I thought this was comics we were ashamed of reading. ;)
    I am still wondering why Dark Knight Strikes Again gets so much hate. I find it to be one of the best comics of the 2000s. I personally find it to be a great follow up to DKR and one of the top 5 comics Miller has written.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I am still wondering why Dark Knight Strikes Again gets so much hate. I find it to be one of the best comics of the 2000s. I personally find it to be a great follow up to DKR and one of the top 5 comics Miller has written.
    It's aged well. When it came out I think fans were pissed that Miller "would do this to them". I mean, essentially DKSA was Miller getting tired of everyone asking him when he was going to do the follow-up to DKR and DC throwing money at him to do it - so "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. I re-read it awhile back and so much of the vitriol I had towards it had pretty much disappeared and I found myself enjoying a really fun comic.

Then again, I liked ASB&R so my judgement may be suspect. :)

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I haven't read any of the Walking Dead or Cerebus.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I am still wondering why Dark Knight Strikes Again gets so much hate.
    Speaking for myself:

The Dark Knight Returns was densely-plotted, densely-illustrated & groundbreaking.

The entirety of The Dark Knight Strikes Again had less story than any given issue of DKR. The art was lazy and over-reliant on splash pages as opposed to the intricate, multipaneled art of the original, and the story was neither fresh nor memorable. (All I recall is Supes & WW's flying f**k)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

At least you understand that you shouldn't :)

I guess I'm ashamed that I haven't finished Watchmen. I started it before the movie and ended up seeing it before I finished and then just never went back. So how the movie ends is how Watchmen ends for me and I know that's not right.

Haven't read the Dark Knight strikes again either but that was because I opened it and didn't enjoy the art so it got put back on the shelf.

And all the talk about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I'm a little ashamed that I have very little knowledge of them BEFORE the cartoon. Going to work on fixing that.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

It's aged well. When it came out I think fans were pissed that Miller "would do this to them". I mean, essentially DKSA was Miller getting tired of everyone asking him when he was going to do the follow-up to DKR and DC throwing money at him to do it - so "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. I re-read it awhile back and so much of the vitriol I had towards it had pretty much disappeared and I found myself enjoying a really fun comic.

For myself... I thought the art sucked.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    sin city and transmetropolitan (although I'm reading it now, 5 issues in and this is awesome)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    There are a lot of things I haven't read either. Some I will get to someday and some I probably won't. I'm not ashamed of that. I just wasn't as into those things at the time. Some on my list include:
    Swamp Thing (maybe)
    Preacher (probably never will)
    Y: The Last Man (probably at some point)
    Fables: (probably never will)
    Frank Miller's Batman Year One (Not really a fan of his work)
    DMZ (Probably never will)
    Strangers in Paradise (just never was interested enough in it to check it out)

I'm sure there is a lot more as well. I only have so much time.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I really need to give Preacher another chance.

I read the first couple issues when they first came out, and just wasn't interested in that level of gross-out violence at the time.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Crisis On Infinite Earths (finally bought it a few Wild Pigs ago, but it still sits on the shelf)
    Cerebus
    BPRD (fixing that soon)

And many more.

Not really ashamed, though. I read plenty! Can't read everything.
  • Options
    I've never read any Hellboy or BPRD, and whilst I um and ah about picking up the library Editions, it's never been on my to-read list. And whilst I have tried the first trade of Scalped, it did absolutely nothing for me.
  • Options
    Also-

Strangers in Paradise
    Stray Bullets
    And all of Manga
  • Options
    PS- I hope you don't mind, Steeven, but I moved this to the Comics Talk forum. As it is a comics related topic, I thought it belonged there.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Also-

Strangers in Paradise
    Stray Bullets
    And all of Manga
    You're a true crime guy, right? I think you'll dig Stray Bullets. I haven't read all of it, but I enjoyed those issues I did read, particularly the ones featuring Amy Racecar.

• Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    There's lots of stuff I want to read. Here are the ones I am ashamed that I haven't read yet:

Batman
    - Year One
    - A Death in the Family
    - The Killing Joke

Maus
    Daredevil: Born Again
    V for Vendetta
    Animal Man (Grant Morrison)

There may be more. Those are the first ones that come to mind.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Only thing I can say I'm ashamed of is league of extraordinary gentleman... Because I actually own it and still havnt read it. I never read watchmen until the movie and I enjoyed the movie more. Not ashamed or embarassed by not having read other stuff.
  • Options
    Also-

Strangers in Paradise
    Stray Bullets
    And all of Manga
    You're a true crime guy, right? I think you'll dig Stray Bullets. I haven't read all of it, but I enjoyed those issues I did read, particularly the ones featuring Amy Racecar.

Cool. I do love crime comics (whether true or fictional), and from everything I've heard, as well as enjoying other Lapham work, I am sure I would love Stray Bullets. I just keep waiting for it to come back into print.
  • Options
    The Walking Dead
    Preacher
    Y the Last Man
    New Frontier
    Fables
    Starman
    Hellblazer
    The Saga of the Swamp Thing
    Anything by Moebius

My problem with most of these is the expenditure, especially with a series like 'The Walking Dead' or 'Fables' where I'd be looking at a couple of hundred bucks to get into it.
    Hellblazer represents another problem as well; where the heck do I start?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The Walking Dead
    Hellblazer represents another problem as well; where the heck do I start?
    After years of being behind in bringing Hellblazer in line with the rest of the Vertigo trade program, they have finally started to address that. There are now, finally, numbered, all-inclusive trades. You can start with this one which even includes the Swamp Thing crossover issues of that time (it used to be the first Hellblazer trade would end abruptly with Swamp Thing showing up for a crossover). Vol 2 is already out, and it looks like Vol 3 comes out in June. That will get you up to issue #22 (and there is a LOT of great stuff in there). And hopefully that trade plan will continue. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The several thousand books in my closet, which lie dormant. I'm about as backlogged if not more so than Murd, and unlike our side-burned co-host, I'm far less diligent when it comes queues. I did cut my backlog number in half when I parted with roughly 10,000 books last year, but that still leaves at least 10,000 which I kept in the hopes I would get to them someday.
    Perhaps when I win that half-billion dollar MegaMillions jackpot, I'll have the time to do so.
  • Options

See I didn't read DKSA until 2008 or so. But I also love ASB&R. To me at least anything Miller is writing Batman,besides that horrible Spawn Crossover,is gold. Really I have enjoyed almost everything Frank has written,well besides the Batman/Spawn Crossover and that one issue of Spawn Frank wrote. Hopefully the library will get in Holy Terror soon so I can read it.
  • Options
    I really need to give Preacher another chance.

I read the first couple issues when they first came out, and just wasn't interested in that level of gross-out violence at the time.

Preacher really doesn't get going until the second trade. Sure the entire series is full of very intense violence,but at it's heart it is a love story. I was so surprised when my now ex-wife read it and loved it. She isn't a fan of extreme violence and stuff,but the love between Jessie and Tulip is what kept her reading the comic.