Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics You Are Ashamed to Admit You Have Never Read

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Superman: Earth One.

After the first few pages, I just didn't care to go beyond them. Yet, it's a hit, yes?
  • Options
    Off the top of my head, Daredevil: Born Again (ordering it in a couple of days though)
    Y: the last man
    BPRD ( I love Hellboy, just never got round to reading this!)
  • Options
    I could be here for a week listing all the comics i haven't read yet but here are some off the top of my head
    Secret six (although i have all the issues)
    Daredevil Born Again
    Starman (again i have all the issues)
    Strangers in Paradise (again i have all the issues i really should start reading these things)
    Y the last man
  • Options
    Batman: Year One - But I did see the animated movie. I liked it.

Ex Machina - Ditto above.
    I just got the deluxe volumes of this and I love it all. Mitchell Hundred is the type of political candidate I want, to a degree... plus he's a superhero.

• Options
    Is this like a confessional. Will we feel clean again afterwards.

Crisis on Infitine Earths

Infinite Crisis

But I'm not really ashamed about it.

I've filled a lot of holes in my list of shame over the last few months after buying Elephantmen, Ex Machina, Starman and a few other bits and pieces. My conscious in clear and now I do feel clean again.
  • Options

I just got the deluxe volumes of this and I love it all. Mitchell Hundred is the type of political candidate I want, to a degree... plus he's a superhero.

I might buy some trades when I get back from vacation.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    OK. Here's one:

Castle Waiting

You, of all people, will love this book.

Bry
  • Options

I might buy some trades when I get back from vacation.
    Just got the Deluxe Edition of Batman: Year One. I haven't read it in year and really loved it. I did find a fair bit of extra material from Mazzucchelli in the book including original pages. If Mazzucchelli was complaining that this edition was a poor version of what he had planned then I want to see his version.

• Options
    Watchmen.

I am looking forward to Before Watchmen, though.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Let's see

Christopher Priest's Black Panther: I haven't liked his other work, and I'm not a big fan of the non-Don McGregor Panther stuff
    Kirby's Devil Dinosaur: I LOVE Kirby's 70's Marvel stuff, but just haven't gotten around to reading this run. Maybe this summer
    Any of the Malibu Ultraverse or post-Shooter Valiant
    Lost Girls. The damn thing is too expensive!

There are also some that I have been told are GREAT and when I sampled them, I didn't read through:

Silver Age Superman and Wonder Woman: Every time I try, I feel as if they are children's stories written by people who hate children.
    New Look Batman: The Julie Schwartz edited stories before the Batman TV series. They aren't BATMAN stories, but always read like Flash or Green Lantern stories that happen to have Batman in them
    Shooter's Valiant: It just reads like warmed over New Universe stories to me. Sorry.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Let's see

Christopher Priest's Black Panther: I haven't liked his other work, and I'm not a big fan of the non-Don McGregor Panther stuff
    Kirby's Devil Dinosaur: I LOVE Kirby's 70's Marvel stuff, but just haven't gotten around to reading this run. Maybe this summer
    I really enjoyed that run of Black Panther, but I also liked Priest's Quantum and Woody and The Ray . Priest's Black Panther is a good series.

Kirby's Devil Dinosaur wasn't good. I hate to say it, but it was just dumb. The best thing to come out of that run was the Devil Dinosaur (one of my favorite Marvel Monsters). I am glad I got the Omnibus even if I didn't enjoy it.
  • Options
    GonzogooseGonzogoose Posts: 66
    edited April 2012
    If someone had asked me this question four years ago, I would have said Watchmen, Infinity Gauntlet, Kingdom Come and Crisis On Infinite Earths. Thankfully, I've read all of those now.

I'd say The Killing Joke is the one I'd be ashamed of not reading yet. And Y, the Last Man.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I'd like to announce that I have now read the first three trades of Y: The Last Man and I quite enjoyed them.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    until a couple of days ago...Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
    plus the majority of the early Stan and Jack Marvel!!!
  • Options
    Last week, I'd have said Hack/Slash.

Now I;m catching up, and loving it.

All the while my comic stack keeps getting higher and higher...
  • Options
    I've had 'From Hell' on my shelf for years now and I've yet to pick it up. Part of the problem is Eddie Campbell. I like his art, but it just seems to bother me in a comic narrative setting.
  • Options
    Hellblazer
    The Saga of the Swamp Thing
    Daredevil: Born Again
    V for Vendetta
    Animal Man (Grant Morrison)
  • Options
    Frank Miller's Ronin. As much as I love all things Frank (yes, even ASB&RTBW) I have never read this book. Fortunately I just bought it off Kevin so that situation will be remedied shortly.
    Sweet Jeebus!!!! Really!!! That's the second one this week. How many more 'must read' comics have you NOT read? And you call yourself a geek. The shame of it. Al...your not a geek to me anymore...you're a 'newbie'.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I've had 'From Hell' on my shelf for years now and I've yet to pick it up. Part of the problem is Eddie Campbell. I like his art, but it just seems to bother me in a comic narrative setting.
    See I read the few chapters of From Hell that were serialized in "Taboo". But until last year I had never read the rest of it. Really well done book. But I am also a huge fan of Campbell's artwork.
  • Options
    Hellblazer
    The Saga of the Swamp Thing
    Daredevil: Born Again
    V for Vendetta
    Animal Man (Grant Morrison)
    With Animal Man I would say read the first two trades before you decied if you like it or not. It really takes awhile to get going.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Watchmen.

@JakeJarmel at least you can read everything in order, just like it was intended...
    you know... like the Star Wars movies.. .

\:D/
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    Just got reminded of it by an advertisement in the back of a Fables trade:

Haven't read any EX MACHINA yet :-\"
  • Options
    Using CBRs top 100 comic runs...

me no read:
    93. Ennis's Hellblazer
    86. Starlin's Warlock
    80. Carey & Gross's Lucifer
    67. Milligan's Shade the Changing Man
    45. Ostranders "The Spectre"
    40. Moore's Promethea
    35. Hernandez Bros Love & Rockets
    27. Grant Morrison's Invisibles
    25. Sim's Cerebus
    23. Ellis's Transpetropolitan
    14. Morrison's Doom Patrol
    8. Ennis's Preacher

So out of 100 definitive runs, Ive only not touched on 12.
    A number of them fall into the same type of book (fringe supernatural a'la Hellblazer, Lucifer, Shade, Spetre, Promethia, even Doom Patrol)
    A number of them fall into my "out of comics timeline (I missed about '91-2002).

I dont see myself going back after any of them anytime soon
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I read everything that I want to read. :)
  • Options

me no read:
    93. Ennis's Hellblazer
    86. Starlin's Warlock
    40. Moore's Promethea
    25. Sim's Cerebus
    8. Ennis's Preacher
    I think the ONLY one that I have any shame in not reading is Cerebus... so iconic for the 80s, which WAS my era of comics... but then again Im not a big Conan guy...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I read everything that I want to read. :)
    smartass :P
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    I always feel left out that I haven't read Preacher (have ALL the TPB's, but just haven't been able to face finding the time to read them all) and I haven't read Animal Man (Morrison), which is crazy considering my interest in animals and how much I'm loving the new Animal Man (Lemire), too.

For all you peeps that listed Strangers in Paradise, at least jump on board for Rachel Rising! Just getting started and it rocks!
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159

me no read:
    93. Ennis's Hellblazer
    86. Starlin's Warlock
    40. Moore's Promethea
    25. Sim's Cerebus
    8. Ennis's Preacher

So out of 100 definitive runs, Ive only not touched on 12.
    A number of them fall into the same type of book (fringe supernatural a'la Hellblazer, Lucifer, Shade, Spetre, Promethia, even Doom Patrol)
    A number of them fall into my "out of comics timeline (I missed about '91-2002).

I dont see myself going back after any of them anytime soon
    Moore's Promethea is EXCELLENT!!!
  • Options

me no read:
    93. Ennis's Hellblazer
    86. Starlin's Warlock
    40. Moore's Promethea
    25. Sim's Cerebus
    8. Ennis's Preacher
    I think the ONLY one that I have any shame in not reading is Cerebus... so iconic for the 80s, which WAS my era of comics... but then again Im not a big Conan guy...
    With Cerebus after the first 25 or so issues it becomes less of a Conan parody and becomes a great comic.
  • Options
    JakeJarmelJakeJarmel Posts: 18
    Watchmen.

@JakeJarmel at least you can read everything in order, just like it was intended...
    you know... like the Star Wars movies.. .

\:D/
    LOL. It's the reverse for Star Wars. I saw the originals, but not the newer ones.