Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Dan DiDio's Favorite DC Projects From His First Ten Years

DiDio listed his favorite 10 projects from his first 10 years at DC. The list is pretty much everything you'd expect, he shares some interesting insights, and I think the omissions say as much about his tastes and DC's direction as the things he listed (No love for All Star Superman or Wednesday Comics?).

Admittedly, some of what he wrote left me shaking my head and remembering what I consider to be better days (especially the part where he calls Countdown to Infinite Crisis "[p]robably my favorite comic of all things published in the last ten years."), but it's interesting "inside baseball" stuff all the same.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    And before you ask about BEFORE WATCHMEN, don't worry, I'm saving that to be number one on the list for the next ten years.
    Did the marketing people tell DD to state this or is BEFORE WATCHMEN really that good?

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Interesting read. Thanks, LB!
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Countdown to Infinite Crisis got me back into reading comics after about a ten-year hiatus. Love it or hate it, an 80 page comic for a dollar and a hook that managed to draw me back into this monthly habit... gotta give it props.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Sorry but these pure marketing shills just to keep DC in the news cycle leading up to Before Watchmen and as the buzz of the new 52 dies down just leave me completely disinterested.

The single interesting line was #8 Batman RIP/Sinestro Corps War "Or better known as, how The Sinestro Corps War and Batman R.I.P. got me through the toughest part of my career"... of course what would have been interesting would be an elaboration on the difficulties of that time (is he talking about Trinity? Final Crisis?)

ughhh

so in his 10 he pims a new format (the Earth 1 books) repimps the reboot (new 52) reminds people of some good stuff (52) and a more successful event than Final Crisis & countdown (Infinite Crisis), name drops Jim Lee, Turner, Meltzer, Johns & Jeff Loeb, and almost ignores actual successes (both in numbers and critics) like New Frontier, All Star Superman and Wednesday Comics....

:-q
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Sorry but these pure marketing shills just to keep DC in the news cycle leading up to Before Watchmen and as the buzz of the new 52 dies down just leave me completely disinterested.
    That's DiDio.

He tries to be the new Stan Lee, but instead of the goofball grandad, he comes across as the creepy uncle.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    That's DiDio.

He tries to be the new Stan Lee, but instead of the goofball grandad, he comes across as the creepy uncle.
    Is that why everytime I read a DiDio interview I come out of it liking him less and less?
  • Options
    That's DiDio.

Is that why everytime I read a DiDio interview I come out of it liking him less and less?
    All that said, he's got a hard job in a very challenging time for the industry. He's taken a lot of risks and made some tough choices, and he's succeeded more than he's failed.

I'd like to like him, but I just can't.

I do like him more than Quesada or Brevoort, at least.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited March 2012
    The thing with DiDio is that he seems like an alright guy - friendly, personable, all that - it's just that we have very different ideas of what makes for good DC comic books.

But, hey, he's a co-publisher making the big bucks and some of the stuff he's pushing here has sold big. I'm some shmoe on a message board with a Captain Marvel, Jr. avatar. So long as his stuff continues to sell, his taste is what's going to keep getting published.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited March 2012
    I liked most of his list. Mine would be different, but his list highlights (mostly) the 10 biggest DC stories. I might replace Identity Crisis, Batman/Superman - Supergirl (coming out in DC Comics Presents soon), and Batman RIP with Allstar Superman, 7 Soldiers, and of course Wednesday Comics.
    What would your list look like? I would bet for most fans at least 2/3rds of the books he mentioned would be there.

Do it honestly, lets see what your list would look like.
  • Options
    Okay. My list (in the order I think of them, not based on any chronology or preference) would be:

1. All Star Superman - The ideal of what mainstream superhero comics should be, IMHO.

2. Wednesday Comics - The great experiment!

3. 52 - The other great experiment!

4. The New 52 - The great gamble!

5. DC: The New Frontier - A perfect love letter to the 50s and 60s, both as experienced in real life and the DC Universe.

6. Collected editions - Omnibi, Showcases, those DC Library books, even that DC Comics Presents format. Great decade for repackaging older material.

7. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Not one of the great stories of the ages, but big, fun, widescreen storytelling using a lot of fun toys in creative ways.

8. Morrison on Batman - Not always popular, not always coherent, but it got people talking.

9. Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds - The only part of Final Crisis that felt like a proper Crisis, and it managed to find a place in the DC continuity for all 3 Legions. Still a little mad that Johns killed off my Kinetix, but still.

10. Dr. Thirteen: Architecture and Morality - Probably the best story *about* DC Comics in the past decade.
  • Options
    I guess I don't fault Dido cause Marketing is the ones pulling the strings on this... its just a crappy format of promotion...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I like Didio's energy, especially at cons.

I just rarely care for anything he says.
  • Options
    Where's " I got a chance to write a completely lifeless Metal Men series that wasted the skills of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez"?

That had to make the top 10!
  • Options
    That's DiDio.

I just wish everyone would stop trying to ape Stan. Only Stan can, could, and ever will be Stan. Attempting to copy his particular brand of hucksterism didn't work in the 60s (Ever see Archie's or Dell's attempts at it? Awkward at best.), it sure as hell doesn't work now. Especially their vision of what Stan is/was seems more Vince McMahon than Stan Lee. Not even Vince McMahon... more like Vince Russo.

• Options
    That's DiDio.

I just wish everyone would stop trying to ape Stan. Only Stan can, could, and ever will be Stan. Attempting to copy his particular brand of hucksterism didn't work in the 60s (Ever see Archie's or Dell's attempts at it? Awkward at best.), it sure as hell doesn't work now. Especially their vision of what Stan is/was seems more Vince McMahon than Stan Lee. Not even Vince McMahon... more like Vince Russo.
    The weirdest was Stan's brother, Larry, when he was at Atlas comics.
  • Options
    That's DiDio.

The weirdest was Stan's brother, Larry, when he was at Atlas comics.
    See? It's not even genetic... it's all Stan. I forget who said it originally, but I've been quoting it for years: Stan Lee is Stan Lee's greatest character creation.
  • Options
    Stan Lee is Stan Lee's greatest character creation.
    I started to say "Except J. Jonah Jameson, but JJJ kinda is Stan.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

And, to be honest, a LOT of Stan's patter and hucksterism was lifted from EC, both during the "New Trend" years as well as from MAD. When I bought the Box Set reprints of the EC stuff, I was amazed at how much the letters pages felt like the Stan Lee "We're a special club and YOU are part of it" that really helped Marvel rise to prominence in the 60's.

Then again, Timely/Atlas was best known as the "knockoff" publisher until the lost distribution in 1958, and was best known for taking whatever trend in comics was hot and pumping out as many books as they could in the genre...and their pre-code horror "lifted" quite a few story ideas from EC (who weren't all that original anyway. Just ask Ray Bradbury ^_^).