Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1318 Talkback: Off the Racks: ASM #700, Black Beetle #0, Whistling Skull #1

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2013
    I sort of agree with you @Peter. I actually had stopped reading comics sometime during the Spider-Man Clone Saga in the 90's and only recently came back, in no small part because of this arc with Doc Ock. In fact, the very first comic that I bought off the rack was one of THE MOST LUDICROUS stories of the bronze age era. It involved Stegron reanimating museum dinosaur bones and doing battle with the Lizard and wanting to destroy Spider-Man. It was a Christmas-time story to boot. Anyways, I was hooked.

Once I couldn't find what I wanted off the racks I began subscribing to Marvel Premiere, Star Wars, Marvel Tales, etc, and borrowing my buddy's copies of What If...?, Amazing Adventures, Eternals, House of Mystery, World's Finest, Conan, Werewolf By Night, and more.

I stuck around for a few years, but once I "grew up" and joined the Navy I didn't get back into comics until I spotted another issue that simply grabbed me and I bought it right off the rack - ASM #300. McFarlane's art thrilled me and the story was excellent. I continued to pick issues of ASM, but began to explore more indie comics at the time.

The Clone Saga in the mid-90's once again piqued my interest, but it couldn't sustain it and I pretty much gave up on comics in general, only grabbing random issues of Heavy Metal or Epic now and then. I "grew up", again. I'd still occasionally grab a #1 title here and there (as a speculator) like Generation X, or Deadpool, but once I grew tired of the newest incarnation of the X-Men, that was it... until this new arc with issues 697 - 700 suddenly caught my attention.

And now, I've started filling up my back issues via Atomic Avenue, Fearless Readers, and Ebay. I'm an avid listener to CGS. And I'm pre-ordering Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, FF, Superior, Prophet, Star Wars, Trillium, Conan, and more via DCBS - all because of this single intriguing storyline with Peter Parker's "death". I love comics and I love Spider-Man, but I am not attached to the outcome. I suspect he will return to his own body one day soon, but I just like being entertained with something bold and new. Our experiences are clearly different, but I don't begrudge that @Chuck_Melville.

Let's just enjoy them while we can.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Take this with a grain of salt, this is coming from a huge Spider-Man fan

As a comic book it is okay but as a Spider-Man book it is not good. With out Peter it has lost all of it's soul. It feels like I am reading just any other comic about a hero that I really do not care about one way or the other. Sure it is interesting to see Ock trying to be a hero but this story could of been written with an other superhero and it would of been just the same, in fact if they had used a C-list character it might have been more interesting. What really disappoints me is Slott is a better writer than this, he proved it with when he had Peter at Horizon labs and he introduced new supporting characters. Spider-Man's supporting characters have always played a big part of the books starting all the way back to AF#15. Now with Ock as the lead role the supporting character do not feel so important almost as he was throwing them into the stories. I've spoken to other hardcore Spider-Man fans and they have had similar feelings. ASM before the change was a top of the pile read now SSM is more towards the bottom middle of the pile read.

I do agree with Peter Rios, this is a good all age book and I would have no problem giving it to someone to read, just not a hardcore Spider-Man fan
  • Options
    Peter said:

Then why comment?

Because we were asked for our thoughts and feelings. That was mine. I dropped off the book after it took a turn that I found disagreeable, and when it began coming out practically every week, written and drawn, not by a single, solid team, but several. That was a change I thought to be untenable, unattractive, and unaffordable. It was also a good 'jumping off' point. I've read the reviews, I've read a few samples, and thus far, I haven't seen any good reason to jump back in, least of all for the spectacular Spider-Octopus.