Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Star Trek and Star Wars? that is quite a resume. i'm pretty happy with this choice.
  • Options
    Will Star Trek into Darkness be his last Star Trek gig? Or will he juggle?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I feel like, until this is confirmed on Starwars.com or something, that this is still a rumor rather than news.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Really? REALLY? This is arrogance on his part right? Just has to put his stamp on as many huge properties as possible. Not looking forward to 1500 lens flares.

Hoping this is inaccurate
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    JJ made me give a crap about Star Trek.

Given that I already like Star Wars, I have decent-to-high hopes.
  • Options
    "That's no moon... It's a lens flare"

"These aren't the lens flares you're looking for"

"Stop that." "Stop what?" "Stop that, my lens is dirty." "My lens is dirty too... What're you afraid of?"

"The lens flare is strong with this one..."

C'mon, we could do this all day
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited January 2013
    Works for me
    but...

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Maybe something will happen in the movie that will change the timeline to prevent "The Phantom Menace" from ever happening,
  • Options
    I don't know whether to celebrate him taking on Star Wars or mourn the probable exit from Star Trek that this will cause.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    On face value, it sounds like a good idea. Has the talent to do the epic and intimate in one scene. He gets a thumbs up for me based on the opening scene of Star Trek alone. Let us hope for the best.
    No reason to believe otherwise at this point.
  • Options
    Episode Seven: The Island
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I don't know whether to celebrate him taking on Star Wars or mourn the probable exit from Star Trek that this will cause.

Released transcript from Episode 9: A New Beginning

Jaina Solo: Then...then it's over?
    Mara Jade: Yes. The last remnants of the Empire are gone.
    Jaina Solo: Then...what happens now?
    Mara Jade: We begin again. But this time instead of an Empire we'll establish a Federation. A United Federation...
    Jaina Solo: Of different planets?
    Mara Jade: Yes...a United Federation of Planets. A governing body with a simple creed...that all life should live long...and prosper...

MAKE IT SO ABRAMS!!! :)

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Its funny, my concerns are I fear it will be too much like Star Trek yet I worry it wont be enough like Star Trek. Does that make any sense?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    batlaw said:

Its funny, my concerns are I fear it will be too much like Star Trek yet I worry it wont be enough like Star Trek. Does that make any sense?

It does.

Then again, I'm a bit crazy. But aren't we all?
  • Options
    I just read this at ew.com and then wondered will he direct all three of the new trilogy?
  • Options
    Luke: Obi-Wan? You're still alive!?

Obi-Wan: Luke! It's all wrong! We were never supposed to leave! We have to go back to the Death Star!
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    edited January 2013
    Darth Vader better be a Smoke Monster

I feel like in the coming weeks there is gonna be a lot of LOST-Star Wars combos
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I think this is great news if he can do what he did for Star Trek then this will be awesome. & I read that he still will work on a 3rd Trek maybe not as Director but as a Producer.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Almost every director has at least one turd in his filmography - let's hope JJ's won't trop unto the "geek genre"....Geeks tend to be quite sensitive....
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

I think this is great news if he can do what he did for Star Trek then this will be awesome. & I read that he still will work on a 3rd Trek maybe not as Director but as a Producer.

I don't know. He definently brought a lot of energy to the movie, something the last two Star Trek movies were lacking.

But at the same time, lazy time travel plot, two Spocks, over emphasis on violence and war. Not sure that's what I want in ST.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

I don't know. He definently brought a lot of energy to the movie, something the last two Star Trek movies were lacking.

But at the same time, lazy time travel plot, two Spocks, over emphasis on violence and war. Not sure that's what I want in ST.
    Then you should be pleased that none of the writers or of Star Trek are writing Episode VII, because it sounds like what you didn't like were story and plot decisions. If you disliked those choices, they were not really Abrams' department.

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    My wife and I are big fans of J.J. Abrams (her since the days of Felicity). I was shocked at this news, though, considering he was guiding the Star Trek franchise. But Star Wars > Star Trek. :\">

I was 11 years old when Star Wars came out in 1977. There is no other film that I can remember so vividly -- the theater, where I was sitting, and the feeling I got during the opening scene. I was blown away. Looking forward to many new Star Wars films.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

Then you should be pleased that none of the writers or of Star Trek are writing Episode VII, because it sounds like what you didn't like were story and plot decisions. If you disliked those choices, they were not really Abrams' department.

Were they though? Were they? Lost, Alias, Fringe, that Alcatraz show... all JJs have time travel, alternate universes, "evil" character turns,

Not saying hes bringing time travel to SW. But Ive seen his stuff. Ive seen plenty. Not sure I need him in Star Wars. Besides, i said "Im not sure thats what I want in ST". Im very fearful of Into Darkness.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    kgforce said:

I was 11 years old when Star Wars came out in 1977. There is no other film that I can remember so vividly -- the theater, where I was sitting, and the feeling I got during the opening scene. I was blown away. Looking forward to many new Star Wars films.

same (age + experience) here

B-)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

Were they though? Were they? Lost, Alias, Fringe, that Alcatraz show... all JJs have time travel, alternate universes, "evil" character turns,

Not saying hes bringing time travel to SW. But Ive seen his stuff. Ive seen plenty. Not sure I need him in Star Wars. Besides, i said "Im not sure thats what I want in ST". Im very fearful of Into Darkness.
    Yes. In the past he has written and created a lot of things with time travel.

But he's not writing or creating Star Wars. So I'm not sure how his past writing and creating applies to how he will do as a director.

The director can't make those elements just appear in the direction. They have to be in the script. And we know that the screenwriter is working from Lucas' story outline. And the EP is a longtime Lucas collaborator. I think it is a safe guess to say that he will be doing their story. Not somehow making their story into his story.
  • Options
    It has been officially announced now, and I noticed in the press release that it says his production company, Bad Robot, is now set to co-produce it with Kennedy. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

It has been officially announced now, and I noticed in the press release that it says his production company, Bad Robot, is now set to co-produce it with Kennedy. Thoughts?

It is not unusual for that to happen with an established director with profile (and sometimes big name actors do this as well). It gives them a way of making use of their own key people (and getting them paid). And as they end up hiring you and the production company you own, it is a way to get paid twice.

Still, though, Kennedy is on the studio side. As the person speaking for the people whose money it is, she is still the boss.