Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: JJ Abrams to direct the next Star Wars movie.

Comments

• Options
    I am very excited for these movies, more so than when i was a teen when the prequel trilogy came out. Remember, the only other non-lucas directed SW film was arguably the best film of the series.
  • Options
    There were two non-Lucas directed movies out of the six... Empire and Jedi. But I'm pretty sure you're referring to Empire.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm with Planeis in that I don't want a Star Wars time-travel story, which to be fair *is* Abrams forte and comprises a large chunk of his work to-date. The real concern for me is that I felt the six movies made a nice compact story and I'll be curious to see what they're going to do for the next trilogy. Because I'm really not crazy about the Thrawn trilogy. A friend of mine this week urged me to pick up Legacy at the con we were at. Haven't read it yet.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

I'm with Planeis in that I don't want a Star Wars time-travel story, which to be fair *is* Abrams forte and comprises a large chunk of his work to-date. The real concern for me is that I felt the six movies made a nice compact story and I'll be curious to see what they're going to do for the next trilogy. Because I'm really not crazy about the Thrawn trilogy. A friend of mine this week urged me to pick up Legacy at the con we were at. Haven't read it yet.

Sure- but again where there is smoke there is usually but not always fire. For example, just because Abrams directed MI3 didn't mean it ended up about time travel.

I just don't see it being the kind of thing Lucas has built into what he created. And therefore I don't see the people stewarding his creation (and hiring Abrams for the gig) going that way. If only to avoid such direct comparisons to Abrams ST.

I mean, anything is possible, but I would be very, very surprised
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Torchsong said:

Sure- but again where there is smoke there is usually but not always fire. For example, just because Abrams directed MI3 didn't mean it ended up about time travel.

I just don't see it being the kind of thing Lucas has built into what he created. And therefore I don't see the people stewarding his creation (and hiring Abrams for the gig) going that way. If only to avoid such direct comparisons to Abrams ST.

I mean, anything is possible, but I would be very, very surprised
    I didn't say he WOULD bring Time travel to it. I also feel VERY strongly it won't be the thrawn trilogy. I feel strongly it is going to be Lucas' version of a fully grown up Luke and Leia and their teenaged or 20 something children.

Anyway, like I said, I don't expect time travel, smoke monsters or alternate realities. BUT... I have seen enough of JJ to think I'm not really jazzed about him.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Here is an instance where I don't want to see any of the original actors reprise their role. Usually I'm a nolstagia guy but not this time.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Here is an instance where I don't want to see any of the original actors reprise their role. Usually I'm a nolstagia guy but not this time.

With you on this - unless it's an aged Han or Luke or Leia "passing the torch". I don't want it focused on them or their stories. We got those in IV-VI. Give me a legacy to those things, but give me some new faces and stories.

• Options
    Deadline article about the 3D re-releases being cancelled.
  • Options
    Official news of postponing 3D re-releases.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

Writer:
    Taking Care of Business - no time travel
    Joy Ride - no time travel
    Felicity - no time travel
    Alias - no time travel (weird renaissance era mystery gadgets, yes, but no time travel)
    Mission; Impossible III - no time travel
    Lost: Time Travel
    Undercovers - no time travel
    Super 8 - no time travel
    Fringe - time travel

Director:
    Alias - no time travel (weird renaissance era mystery gadgets, yes, but no time travel)
    Star Trek: Time Travel
    Super 8 -no time travel

Producer:
    Regarding Henry - no time travel
    Forevery Young - Suspended animation
    The Pallbearer - no time travel
    Alias - no time travel
    What About Brian - no time travel
    Six Degrees - no time travel
    Cloverfield - no time travel
    Lost - time travel
    Star Trek - time travel
    Super 8 - no time travel
    M:I Ghost Protocol - no time travel
    Alcatraz - time travel
    Fringe - time travel
    Person of Interest - no time travel
    Revolution - no time travel

Curiously, I thought that he was associated in some way with Flash Forward (which was absolutely entertaining and deserved more time). I find no such link on IMDB.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    "no time travel" - happens to me every time I miss that friggin' bus. Just hate having no time.......
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Official news of postponing 3D re-releases.

That's quite ok

• Options

Deadline article about the 3D re-releases being cancelled.

Well... nuts.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited January 2013
    hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Producer:
    I take it you didn't the last few episodes of the series?
  • Options
    Hauberk,

Interesting list. Focusing on the writing/directing roles (which I think more directly influence storyline than producer), I think the stigma attached to Abrams still holds. You have to consider the work he's most known for. Lost, Star Trek, Fringe - these are more quickly identified as JJ Abrams work than Taking Care of Business, or even Mission: Impossible (which I love, but still consider it a Tom Cruise thing more than a JJ Abrams thing).

I've got confidence he won't go the route we're talking about here, but I can see where the roots of the sentiment are buried and watered.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Writer:
    Taking Care of Business - no time travel
    Super 8 - no time travel
    Fringe - time travel

Director:
    Star Trek: Time Travel
    Super 8 -no time travel

Producer:
    Regarding Henry - no time travel
    Forevery Young - Suspended animation
    The Pallbearer - no time travel
    Alias - no time travel
    What About Brian - no time travel
    Six Degrees - no time travel
    Cloverfield - no time travel
    Lost - time travel
    Star Trek - time travel
    Super 8 - no time travel
    M:I Ghost Protocol - no time travel
    Alcatraz - time travel
    Fringe - time travel
    Person of Interest - no time travel
    Revolution - no time travel

Curiously, I thought that he was associated in some way with Flash Forward (which was absolutely entertaining and deserved more time). I find no such link on IMDB.

Lost's time travel was not in the pilot, which was the only part of the series he was really involved in.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Producer:
    Seriously? I've never seen a single episode.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm totally cool with J.J. on this.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    hauberk said:

tazmaniak said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Producer:
    Well, there was time travel.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

hauberk said:

tazmaniak said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Producer:
    Well, there was time travel.
    Huh. I thought it was just a college girl rom-com thing.
  • Options
    Just listening to Team Jack on the Smodcast network, and Jack Morrissey (his show) says a friend of his in the know indicated that the new Star Wars movies is kind of in competition with, but also being done similarly to, in the house of Disney, the Marvel/Avengers movies. This leads me to think about the possibilities of the side/stand-alone movies could be about characters that are more in the same timeline of the story of the next trilogy. Thoughts?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Just listening to Team Jack on the Smodcast network, and Jack Morrissey (his show) says a friend of his in the know indicated that the new Star Wars movies is kind of in competition with, but also being done similarly to, in the house of Disney, the Marvel/Avengers movies. This leads me to think about the possibilities of the side/stand-alone movies could be about characters that are more in the same timeline of the story of the next trilogy. Thoughts?

It's been a successful formula.

Why not?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/lucas-began-new-star-wars-trilogy-before-selling-to-disney
    The article adds that Lucas has "attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. 'I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’' Lucas says. 'You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.'"
    Hopefully that means no time travel!
  • Options
    Could a force user (jedi, sith, whatever) have/develop a power that would affect time? Time as we know it in this universe seems to be constant, and going in one direction.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    They may be able to slow or speed the rate at which time may affect an object or person but I think affecting time to the point that time travel is possible is out of their reach.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26437/lucas-original-trio-onboard-star-wars-7

Lucas and Carrie Fisher making all kinds of noise by saying the original 3 are back. I can only hope their roles are secondary and in the background. I don't want to see 70 year old Han Solo trying to save the galaxy.

Seems pretty obvious this is going to be a generational story, with their children being all grown up and the center of the story. Which, to me, means the EU is basically out. Lucas has said in the past that he respects the EU, but that it is its own separate thing. I highly doubt we'll be seeing the Solo children as we know them now. This might be the end of the EU really. Maybe after all these movies are over they will just kinda reboot everything since their main protagonists will have been done away with by the creator of the whole universe.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I think the only main castmember from the OT (besides the droids) that should return and would work would be Luke. As much as I love Ford / Han, that character doesnt work old aged. Nodoby wants to see an old Han Solo. If hes going to appear I think it should be only a couple scenes and only if theyre powerful and Nec. Personally I think if hes to appear, he should do so in the second movie, only for a few scenes and should die. Die saving "the kids". Kindve like he was intended to do in Empire.
    I dont think Fisher/princess should appear. If anything maybe just briefly to issue medals ala the end of New Hope.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I think the inclusion of the original three stars, Hamill, Fisher and Ford, is simply to establish a connection with the earlier films and to pass the torch along to the next generation. Their participation will likely be minor -- though Luke could easily pull off a mentor role, much as Obi-Wan did for the original trilogy.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited March 2013

I think the inclusion of the original three stars, Hamill, Fisher and Ford, is simply to establish a connection with the earlier films and to pass the torch along to the next generation. Their participation will likely be minor -- though Luke could easily pull off a mentor role, much as Obi-Wan did for the original trilogy.

I'd think all 3 could have significant roles. Perhaps not as action heroes, but I'm pretty sure I've seen movies - even sci fi type movies - that had great roles for people over 30 in the past!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited March 2013

I had no problem with a 63 year old Alec Guiness helping to save the galaxy in the original 1977 Star Wars movie.