Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC WTF?

124»

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Face...meet palm.

Palm...meet face.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Face...meet palm.

Palm...meet face.

\m/
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Maybe they just reailzed what a stupid idea it was to begin with?
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    batlaw said:

Maybe they just reailzed what a stupid idea it was to begin with?

Agreed completely.

He's right. They don't need it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    So have any of the WTF stunts, labeled or not, got you to pick up books yet? I have to admit I caved on Batman & Red Robin #19 based on the that particular character reveal (which I won't spoil). It was, of course, a TOTAL swervey red herring (swerve herring?), but it was an interesting way to kinda-sorta insert that character into the story (though, really, it coulda been anyone in that spot), and the rest of the story was actually pretty interesting as we see Bruce starting to go all unhinged about Damian. Out of character? Oh, hell yes. But interesting, thanks in large part to yet ANOTHER guest star who actually had way more to do with the story than Red Robin did.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

So have any of the WTF stunts, labeled or not, got you to pick up books yet? I have to admit I caved on Batman & Red Robin #19 based on the that particular character reveal (which I won't spoil). It was, of course, a TOTAL swervey red herring (swerve herring?), but it was an interesting way to kinda-sorta insert that character into the story (though, really, it coulda been anyone in that spot), and the rest of the story was actually pretty interesting as we see Bruce starting to go all unhinged about Damian. Out of character? Oh, hell yes. But interesting, thanks in large part to yet ANOTHER guest star who actually had way more to do with the story than Red Robin did.

So far as I'm concerned, the whole WTF thing has been pointless if the idea was to get me to buy any books that I wasn't already getting. I'd already put in my order before the WTF gimmick had been announced, and, since I get my books by delivery (from a service that is not DCBS), I don't go down to the LCS more than two or three times a year, so there's no impulse buying for me.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    So far, I have liked what I have picked up. There was absolutely a "WTF" moment in Green Lantern #19. There was also a nice 'WTF" moment in Batman and Red Robin #19 and it wasn't the appearance of Carrie Kelly. It started off a great "5 Stages of Grief" story and I thought it was very well done. Same with Batgirl #19. The ending was a very "WTF" moment for me and it was a bit heartbreaking. Gail knocked it out of the park in my opinion. As for Green Lantern Corps #19. I didn't see a "WTF" moment but it was a very good issue. So, I like what they are doing thus far.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Honestly, while I'm a big fan of covers which actually reflect the content of the issue, I question the point of covers that SPOIL THE BIG PLOT TWIST. (World's Finest, I'm talking to you!)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    batlaw said:

Maybe they just realized what a stupid idea it was to begin with?

And doesn't it show good leadership to say that after you've worked on it with editors, had them direct writers to create shocking moments, commissioned special art for the covers, paid for gatefold covers, released information to the comics press and had the information put into press releases and solicitations?

Who's in charge at DC? Anyone?

• Options

That's the best question anyone has asked in all of this.
  • Options

My money's on the Psycho Pirate.
  • Options
    I would have assumed Ambush Bug or Batmite.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I would have assumed Ambush Bug or Batmite.

Things would be far more fun if that were the case.
  • Options
    You have a point. Maybe it's G'nort?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Ambush Bug's working at Channel 52. The only part of most of the DC books I actively look forward to anymore.

/Read in Comic Book Guy's voice. :)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    jaydee74 said:

There was also a nice 'WTF" moment in Batman and Red Robin #19 and it wasn't the appearance of Carrie Kelly. It started off a great "5 Stages of Grief" story and I thought it was very well done.

Yeah, that went a lot of places I wasn't expecting and considering how downbeat a story it was, I enjoyed (and was genuinely surprised) by it. Don't think I'll be picking the book up regularly, but hey, they got me to buy that one, so points for that.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    WetRats said:

Honestly, while I'm a big fan of covers which actually reflect the content of the issue, I question the point of covers that SPOIL THE BIG PLOT TWIST. (World's Finest, I'm talking to you!)

I totally agree with you. These covers have ruined pretty much every issue I've read this month. Every cliffhanger which normally would've been a good surprise and hook to get me buying the next issue has been ruined by the cover. And also the issues themselves have fallen down, as the gatefolds have only goven you a page of the surprise. Such a pointless gimmick.
  • Options
    Interesting thing about those covers--the place I usually buy comics when I'm at work had the issues--without gatefold covers and no way to see what the reveal was. I don't know whether to be annoyed or glad that at least the stories weren't spoiled.