Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1340 Talkback: Spotlight on The X-Men in the Silver Age

This year is also the fiftieth anniversary of the X-Men, so they too will get the CGS spotlight treatment, starting with the Silver Age. Chris Eberle from Wild Pig Comics joins us as we review the early history of Marvel's Merry Mutants, from their first appearance to their brush with (gasp!) cancellation! (1:09:19)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I really appreciate the education on all things Lee, Kirby, Neal Adams, Roy Thomas, etc.. related to the X-Men.

Looking forward in Claremont We Trust!

Matthew
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Good timing, considering that I just bought the first 25 issues from Comixology for $0.99 each! I'll have to get reading those, pronto. I also look forward to Mr. Eberle's commentary. Don't get me wrong, the Geeks are great, but Eberle's input adds just the right seasoning. Cheers!
  • Options
    I find it funny how the Avengers and the Xmen seem to have alternating periods of popularity. 60's and 70's where very Avengers heavy while the 80's and 90's were dominated by the X Men.recently it has swung back to the Avengers again.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    About Professor Xavier's thought about Jean in issue 3. Was he really THAT old? I think he got bald early because of his mutation. Couldn't he have been in his early 30's or late 20's?
    Anyway, the first issue of X-Men I read was issue 41 (like Avengers 41!). And it wasn't even my comic! My sister bought it and I remembering seeing that STARK RED cover for the first time. WoW! So, basically I just took it from my sister and read it. ("Sorry, sis!")
    Murd: Spoiled again. Sorry, Murd.
    Ah, man. I remember this era of Uncanny X-Men so vividly. The new costumes, the Steranko and Adams artwork, my sadness when I heard the title was cancelled, etc.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Double spotlights with Chris!! Hot damn, thanks Geeks!!!

I remember seeing X-Men comics in the racks in '79 (I was seven) flipping through them and even though I liked the issues of Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One that had appearnces by X-men in them, I had always felt like the X-Men book was not for kids my age.

What changed that for me was the two episodes of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends that the X-Men were in and ROM #17 & 18. It was in the late 140's or early 150's that I started reading X-Men, I really can't remember what my first issue was.

I have the first two volumes of X-Men MMW, hoping to grab the rest at C2E2 and jump into Uncanny later. The early X-Men seemed to lack what FF and Spidey had, but they were still fun to read and I've loaned those two volumes of X-Men out to friends and co-workers more than anything else.

• Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    Man I can't wait to listen to this episode today. My Marvel experience started off with reading about powerless X-Men on Magneto's island. This started a life long love of Cyclops and all things X-Men. It must be kismet that I listened to the Dark Phoenix saga episode yesterday. I am just giddy as a schoolgirl in anticipation.
  • Options
    Hi,

Great episode. I love when Chris is on. One small correction, the X-Men did appear in a cartoon during the Silver Age. On the Sub-Mariner cartoon of the 60's, there was a mini three parter that adapted parts of Fantastic Four Annual #3 and Fantastic Four #6. Since Hanna Barbera had the rights to the Fanastic Four, they were cut out of the story. The cartoon, which used panels from those comics to bring the story to "life", used the panels of the X-Men in the Annual to take the FF's place in the story. This cartoon was released as a VHS in the 90's with Wolverine on the box...even though the character had not been created at the time the show first aired!
  • Options

Hi,

Great episode. I love when Chris is on. One small correction, the X-Men did appear in a cartoon during the Silver Age. On the Sub-Mariner cartoon of the 60's, there was a mini three parter that adapted parts of Fantastic Four Annual #3 and Fantastic Four #6. Since Hanna Barbera had the rights to the Fanastic Four, they were cut out of the story. The cartoon, which used panels from those comics to bring the story to "life", used the panels of the X-Men in the Annual to take the FF's place in the story. This cartoon was released as a VHS in the 90's with Wolverine on the box...even though the character had not been created at the time the show first aired!

Absolutely correct.. and -- you beat me to it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Looking forward to this. I have just read the first three volumes of the Masterworks and I'm in the middle of volume 4. I really like this material a lot.
  • Options
    Its been awhile since I've read these issues but I got the impression that Professor X was supposed to be a bit younger than the middle age man he was later portrayed as. So it would be a little less creepy. Also, there were two Marvel Essentials that covered this period for those who don't mind black and white.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2013
    Love, love, LOVE the Thomas, Adams (inked by Palmer, I believe) run on X-Men! There was a 3 issue reprint set titled X-Men Classics that collected this run. It was released early to mid 1980's. I see it in back issue bins very reasonably priced. They're not square bound trades, just very high quality floppies.
    Marvel did the same with Starlin's Warlock and Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight.
  • Options
    Dr_ZenDr_Zen Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    So, when is Chris getting his own podcast?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Dr_Zen said:

Doesn't need one - already does the most talking on CGS :P
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Dr_Zen said:

Doesn't need one - already does the most talking on CGS :P
    on these spotlights sure does and we love having him, there are group efforts, with chris leading the conversations and the rest of us chiming in,
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    And we LOVE it :x
  • Options
    Toth did a handful of romance stories and a couple of westerns in the ’50s and ’60s, but his X-Men issue was the only superhero story he did for Marvel. And he didn’t much care for working over someone else’s layouts, even if their name was Kirby, so he didn’t do any more for them.

Kirby did layouts for just about all of the artists Marvel brought in during that time, at least for a couple of issues. Stan thought it was the best way to convey to the artists the type of dynamic storytelling he was looking for. Werner Roth, who had done a lot of work for Marvel in the ’50s (primarily on Venus, Apache Kid, and Lorna the Jungle Queen), never could get the hang of it to Stan’s satisfaction, even though both Kirby and Don Heck often provided layouts for him on X-Men. Eventually, Stan moved him back to a western strip. He died in 1972, so who knows how much longer he would have lasted at Marvel. Perhaps a more dynamic artist would have kept X-Men out of the sales basement.
  • Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    patrokls said:

Its been awhile since I've read these issues but I got the impression that Professor X was supposed to be a bit younger than the middle age man he was later portrayed as.

Although I can't put my hands on it atm; there was an issue or minor arc where Magneto and Xavier fought together well prior to the beginning of the X-Men. I took that to be in the miid '50s. I believe it was when Charles met Gabrielle Owing that Jean was say 19 in the mid '60s and that Xavier and Eric both grew up in the '40s then I would say a good 15 yer difference betwixt he and Jean. I have always thought of Chuck as about 20 years older than his students but after thinking it thru here it could be around even ten years at the minimum I would think. Didn't Charlie's Dad work during WWII on atomic bombs? Or am I misinterpreting my memories of a long and twisted X-Men history?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    My intro to the X-Men was a combo of Adam's and Chris's. The first time I remember seeing them was that Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends episode with the Juggernaut, Firestar's origin retelling, and Wolverine's Australian accent. A few years later, I received that early Dark Phoenix Saga trade paperback, too... the one with that awesome Bill Sienkiewicz cover and the purple spine (which didn't even say Dark Phoenix Saga yet, just The Uncanny X-Men). Around that same time I also found the Special Edition reprinting of Giant-Size X-Men #1 in a back issue bin at some local flea market, which was a lot of fun to read at that time and finally get some back story on some of these characters, though I was bummed that Sunfire clearly didn't stick around long. Dug that mask of his!

Only ever read the book sporadically as a kid - a little too "soapy" for my tastes at the time, but those few issues/reprints I had I did enjoy a lot.
  • Options
    Regarding Xavier's age, I put him in his early 30s as of X-Men #1. He graduated from college, then fought in the Korean War circa 1951-1953. If he's early 20s then, he's early 30s in 1963.

I also need to correct Adam regarding the Changeling: he did appear as a villain prior to his replacing Professor Xavier. The Changeling was second-in-command of Factor Three, the villainous organisation that plagued the X-Men in issues #37-39 (and numerous issues before that).
  • Options
    Guys, Bill Everett did a lot more art work for Marvel in the 60s other than the first DD issue, including returning to the Sub Mariner for several stories.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Guys, Bill Everett did a lot more art work for Marvel in the 60s other than the first DD issue, including returning to the Sub Mariner for several stories.

That's true. I remember him doing some Hulk stories back then, and doing a lot of work in collaboration with Marie Severin, covers especially. He also inked some early Defenders stories drawn by Ross Andru and drew the Sub-Mariner during the early 70's, around the period where he first got the blue bodysuit.
  • Options
    Yep he got marvel work until his death in 73, and his last story ran posthumously in 75
  • Options
    greyman24greyman24 Posts: 50
    First knew X-Men in the late 80's--during the Claremont/Lee run. Was turned away by the Executioner's Song/Days of Future Present cross-over silliness until several decades later.

Wound up getting into it again thanks to a gift from my wife of the "40 years" CD-ROMs they sold of the full run of X-Men to that point. It was engrossing, and was amazed by the Neal Adams artwork from the 70's--someone who I had loved because of his work with Denny O'Neil on Detective/Batman. But his work on X-Men seemed to really push through boundaries.

Still have a love/hate relationship with the series, which can easily lend itself to melodrama and excess, but which can also show real depth.
  • Options
    patroklspatrokls Posts: 4

Regarding Xavier's age, I put him in his early 30s as of X-Men #1. He graduated from college, then fought in the Korean War circa 1951-1953. If he's early 20s then, he's early 30s in 1963.

That's what I was thinking. He's old enough to be a teacher and mentor but not so old that a crush on Marvel Girl is too creepy.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Dr_Zen said:

To me, he's the MVP and the glue to these spotlight episodes. I almost wish they did more of these because Chris brings so much information and passion to the conversation and it's so much fun to listen to him talk about these comics.
  • Options
    grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited March 2013
    patrokls said:

That's what I was thinking. He's old enough to be a teacher and mentor but not so old that a crush on Marvel Girl is too creepy.
    I may be wrong, but I believe that the originals were high school age when the series started, with the exception of Beast, who'd had at least a year of college. I either assumed or read somewhere that Jean was 16 or 17 in issue 1. Even if Jean was as old as 19, this is back when the age of legal adulthood was 21, not 18, so Xavier would still be an adult crushing on a girl who was technically still a child. With the teacher/student imbalance of power, that puts it back in creepy territory, at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited March 2013

I may be wrong, but I believe that the originals were high school age when the series started, with the exception of Beast, who'd had at least a year of college. I either assumed or read somewhere that Jean was 16 or 17 in issue 1. Even if Jean was as old as 19, this is back when the age of legal adulthood was 21, not 18, so Xavier would still be an adult crushing on a girl who was technically still a child. With the teacher/student imbalance of power, that puts it back in creepy territory, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I've not listened to the whole episode yet, but it seems like the consensus here is that the X-Men were in their late teens or early 20s when they became a team? I'm pretty sure they were younger than that -- definitely not in their 20s. Beast only had a year of college because he was super-smart. Iceman was the youngest of the group, and he didn't turn 18 until issue #32 from 1967, and back then Marvel continuity followed real-world timespans more closely than it did later on. I wish I could find some exact figures from the early issues, but to me Bobby Drake of the 1963 stories definitely seemed around 14 or 15, and the others were 3-4 years older than him. They were "the strangest TEENS of all".

It's worth pointing out that mutant powers were supposed to develop during puberty and these characters weren't THAT far past puberty.

Xavier definitely wasn't an old man, but it certainly wasn't a young adult either. I guess there's some leniency for his crushing on Jean -- he wasn't an old man and she wasn't a "little girl" -- but the notion is still gross and inappropriate, as the original panel even makes clear. It isn't pedophilia -- because, again, Jean was definitely post-pubescent -- but it was obviously creepy and wrong.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Xavier's has nothing on Reed Richards.
  • Options
    greyman24greyman24 Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I remember reading that Xavier thing and being amazed at the creepiosity. I even showed the panel to my wife. We were both stunned.
  • Options
    patroklspatrokls Posts: 4

Fair enough. I haven't read the issues in quite a while so my memory on the ages is faulty at best.