Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1340 Talkback: Spotlight on The X-Men in the Silver Age

2»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Guys, Bill Everett did a lot more art work for Marvel in the 60s other than the first DD issue, including returning to the Sub Mariner for several stories.

And he probably would have gotten a lot more if he hadn't been an alcoholic. He actually shared an apartment with Roy Thomas for a while, and Roy tried to look out for him as much as he could.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

Hi,

Great episode. I love when Chris is on. One small correction, the X-Men did appear in a cartoon during the Silver Age. On the Sub-Mariner cartoon of the 60's, there was a mini three parter that adapted parts of Fantastic Four Annual #3 and Fantastic Four #6. Since Hanna Barbera had the rights to the Fanastic Four, they were cut out of the story. The cartoon, which used panels from those comics to bring the story to "life", used the panels of the X-Men in the Annual to take the FF's place in the story. This cartoon was released as a VHS in the 90's with Wolverine on the box...even though the character had not been created at the time the show first aired!

I bought that! Most effed up thing I ever watched!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2013
    WHAT!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=u9BMDivjnd8&feature=endscreen
    These cartoons are much like 70's Godzilla movies. They're so bad, they're good.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I guess I am not getting why Professor X liking Jean is THAT creepy. I mean lots of older men like younger women. My high school Algebra teacher ran away with a student. I get he's probably 20 years older, but she's at least a teenager. Not saying it's right, but I mean it's not like he's 100 and she's 10.
  • Options
    Nick said:

I guess I am not getting why Professor X liking Jean is THAT creepy. I mean lots of older men like younger women. My high school Algebra teacher ran away with a student. I get he's probably 20 years older, but she's at least a teenager. Not saying it's right, but I mean it's not like he's 100 and she's 10.

High school algebra teachers (or history teachers, as happened in my high school) running away with students is creepy too. In this case, Professor X is the head and only teacher at the school, and has a certain amount of power over Jean. Then you throw in later retcons--such as the fact that Charles had been working with Jean since she was 10, or that he had a sexual relationship with a patient culminating in a child--and yeah, hecka creepy.
  • Options
    I always thought the X-Men were mid to late teens. Take it for what it's worth but, in X-Men: The Hidden Years #22, The Beast turns 20. Warren and Scott say they are nipping at his heals, but he is the first to not be a teen. This story takes place between X-Men #66 and Giant Size #1. As for Charles, heck yeah it's creepy...but what about fans that want Jean with Wolverine. He was around in the 1800's for Pete's sake!!!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Nick said:

High school algebra teachers (or history teachers, as happened in my high school) running away with students is creepy too. In this case, Professor X is the head and only teacher at the school, and has a certain amount of power over Jean. Then you throw in later retcons--such as the fact that Charles had been working with Jean since she was 10, or that he had a sexual relationship with a patient culminating in a child--and yeah, hecka creepy.
    Are we not running too far after reading some goofy Silver Age dialouge/thought balloons? Professer Xavier has been sh*t on enough by Marvel Editorial the past 25 years. Must we now accuse him of being a creepy sex fiend. The story lines never really pushed the angle and it was forgotten about quickly from my recollection. Must we go on about a pointless character point that never resolved much further than idle thought. I dont know about you but I do not go to the Silver Age for any character's finest hour. And not to lump myself in with the creepy sex fiends of the world, Norman Osborne f*#king Gwen Stacey or Dr Octopus F#*king Aunt May is significantly more disturbing than a plot point out of The Police's "Dont Stand so Close To Me"
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Nick said:

It's a bit creepy because when you first see it, Jean is in her late teens and while I'm never sure how old Professor X is supposed to be, he's probably old enough to be her father and at that age, it's kind of creepy. If Jean was in her mid to late 20's and you had the similar age difference? Not as much. My wife's aunt is with someone who old enough to be her father but they met when she was in grad school and didn't get together until much later in life. Someone in their thirties who digging on a teenager is creepy.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Finally got to sit down and listen to this episode. A few notes:

The Changeling did actually appear as a villain previous to the story where he was revealed as having taken Prof X's place: he was part of the criminal organization, Factor 3, who plagued the X-Men for several issues. As was Banshee, who made his first appearance during the same arc.

The Erik The Red who appeared in the Steranko-drawn issues was not the Shiar spy who turned up later during the Claremont/Cockrum stories, but was actually a false identity created by Cyclops, in order to infiltrate Mesmero's group. (The Shiar spy adopted the guise later, probably to put the X-Men off-guard.)

The Z'nox invasion story where Professor X returns was written by Denny O'Neil, making this the only O'Neil/Adams collaboration not published by DC. It was also the only story during Adams' run on the series that Roy Thomas did not write. It's also, if I'm not mistaken, the only time O'Neil has written the X-Men. (Apart from some Wolverine guest-appearances, that is...)

The coffee house scenes may seem goofy today, but at the time... well, they still seemed pretty goofy. But not so much as you might think when you put it in context. At that time, the days of the Beatniks weren't that long gone, and the last, enduring persona of that era was Maynard G Krebs (Bob Denver) from the Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis TV show that ran just a few short years before the X-Men began; no doubt the memories were still fresh.

The cancellation of the X-Men was a shock, but it was not the first Marvel title to be cancelled; that honor went to the Hulk, whose original series only ran six issues. It wasn't the first series to be cancelled either; besides Hulk (whose series was revived in Tales To Astonish), Giant-Man and the Wasp also lost their series. Nor was it the only book at that particular time, as the spaceborn Captain Marvel wound up being cancelled twice within the space of a year (though it would be revived a couple of years later, just in time for Jim Starlin).

The Cobalt Man made his original appearance during the X-Men's silver-age years. This isn't particularly important; I just liked the idea of a blue 'Iron Man'.

I don't recall now if it was mentioned, but the last artist to work on the original run of the X-Men before it went to reprints was Sal Buscema.

• Options
    Nick said:

I'm with you. It seems creepy now, but just a few generations ago, older men with established careers often married much younger women.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Well my grandfather was 30 when he married my grandmother who was 17. But that was also 69 years ago. Societies views on many things have changed in that time.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Well my grandfather was 30 when he married my grandmother who was 17. But that was also 69 years ago. Societies views on many things have changed in that time.

I have a similar family history.
  • Options
    Marc0sMarc0s Posts: 2

Advertencia, es hora de luchar los ataques contra el Foro Brasileño, hay algunos, no muchos, somos lo suficientemente fuerte para poner fin a la interfaz foro.

El ataque comenzó ...

imageEl aprender no será Close Your Temas nuestra basura

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Nick said:

Well at least Xavier knew these feelings were wrong and locked them away...was it Mark Waid who wrote the Adjectiveless X-Men issue when Onslaught opened up Xavier's secrets to Jean? Either way great stuff.

I started reading comics in the 90's so these episodes are epecially great for me.
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    Guys, didn't the Nuwali definitively create the Savage Land? It's not ambiguous like Murd said in the episode.
  • Options
    krustycookkrustycook Posts: 42
    A lot of good points. Really nice to hear someone else has actually read Silver Age X-Men. :)

I started reading/collecting X-Men around issue 132 (original series). As I tried collecting back issues in the early 80s, even then it was expensive to get the earlier new X-Men, particularly the mid-90s, GS1 and the early Byrne stuff. But I would see the Silver age X-Men (including some of the reprint issues) in $1 boxes sometimes and pick them up. Between those and reprints in other series, I was able to piece the full series together.

One thing about Marvel...they pretty much reprinted everything a few times, even in the early years. Between Annuals/Specials and series like Marvel Collector's Item Classics, you could read a lot of what you couldn't afford to collect. That also meant that if you collected in the 80s and wanted to get all the stories, you almost had to buy reprints that way, unless you had unlimited funds to buy the really early stuff.