Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guilty Pleasures - Superhero films and tv.

Everyone knows and likes the more recent superhero films and tv shows but they weren't always successful or any good. So 'fess up, what slightly rubbish superhero films or tv shows do you secretly like?
I nearly bought a bootleg copy of the Corman Fantastic Four the other day and a friend of mine got me the pilot of Generation X for my birthday. I do have a soft spot for the Dr Strange tv movie from the late 70s that had John Mills in it. And I sort of enjoyed (for all the wrong reasons) that Justice League pilot they did.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The Dr. Strange movie actually has a decent story, once you get past the low-budget effects and sub-par acting. And so does the Nick Fury TV movie, as long as you can get past the Hoff in the lead role and don’t mind it being a little tongue-in-cheek. I think my favorite guilty pleasure though, is the Swamp Thing TV show. It’s not nearly on the level of the comic’s glory days, but it had a couple of decent actors and some good stories amidst the clunkers. (And Kari Wuhrer is always a pleasure to look at.)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I never feel guilty for my tastes. [-(
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2013
    Like @John_Steed, I don't feel guilty about my tastes, but I really enjoyed the Daredevil movie. Even more so with the Director's Cut and its subplots.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I love the Corman FF film. Same with the Swamp Thing tv show.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    say what you like about Corman's FF. He got Doom right.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I really like the Daredevil movie (both cuts). I enjoyed the Flash tv show (but it hasnt aged well at all). I liked the Birds of Prey show ok and believe it couldve/shouldve been quite good if given another season and some tweaks.
    My biggest guilty pleasure though (other than Flash Gordon movie) would be the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie. I still enjoy much of it despite being dated now. I think it mainly suffered from budget and some editing issues. I think much of it was actually ahead of its time and took some risks. At least conceptually its the best Punisher movie IMO.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    batlaw said:

I really like the Daredevil movie (both cuts). I enjoyed the Flash tv show (but it hasnt aged well at all). I liked the Birds of Prey show ok and believe it couldve/shouldve been quite good if given another season and some tweaks.
    My biggest guilty pleasure though (other than Flash Gordon movie) would be the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie. I still enjoy much of it despite being dated now. I think it mainly suffered from budget and some editing issues. I think much of it was actually ahead of its time and took some risks. At least conceptually its the best Punisher movie IMO.

I like the Dolph Punisher but think Punisher Warzone is the best one of the three Punisher films so far.

• Options
    The Flash tv show was great especially once the start introducing more interesting baddies. But its very 90's. I've never seen the Swamp Thing TV show but I have seen the film sequel which is pretty rubbish.
    I'd forgotten about the Hoff as Nick Fury. Should really try to see that one.
    The Nicholas Hammond Spider-man tv series I have a real soft spot for as well.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I also really thought the Corman FF was underappreciated. It did a lot of things really well all things considered.
    At my last convention I scored a bootleg of the old Electrawoman & Dynagirl show - imagine 60s Batman but with women in spandex - but same if not worse level of campiness.
    Speaking of 60s Batman, that's a pretty obvious one. As is the Wonder Woman series with Lynda Carter. I don't know that either of those counts as a "guilty pleasure" as pretty much everyone likes them for what they were.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The Flash television show. I have it on DVD and still love the Trickster episodes.
    Generation X. I thought it was kind of cool.
    Daredevil. I don't know why more people knock it. It was a decent movie.
    Supergirl. I thought it was just fun.
  • Options
    Supergirl is a great movie. Has anyone seen that 60's pilot for Wonder Woman that was by the same team that did Batman? With the domestic sitcom angle. I quite enjoyed Secret of Isis (if that counts )
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    The only guilty pleasure I have is ICP Everything else I like, I can say I am entertained by and defend it on some level.

Damn, I love me some wicked clowns.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Throw me in with the people who liked Daredevil.

Also, I liked X3 and Wolverine....I still don't get why people bashed those.

Others include:

The Phantom(with Treat Williams and Billy Zane)
    Constantine
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Boy, I just don't know you people. Really!?

...on the other hand, I have a soft spot for the Howard The Duck movie...
  • Options
    I watch and like anything with Amanda Tapping in it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Not really about superheroes, but I really enjoy the Masters of the Universe movie. It's cheap and not very good, but kinda fun. Frank Langella owns every scene he's in, and I saw in an interview on CBS Sunday Morning that he actually loved playing Skeletor and took the part because his son was a big He-Man fan. Awesome.

And I will insist until my dying day that Speed Racer is a good movie. It's big and bright and toyetic in the best ways possible.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I very much enjoyed Supergirl. I saw it in the theater (yes I'm old) and Helen Slater's loveliness made up for pretty much everything.

And Speed Racer is indeed a good movie.
  • Options
    Speed Racer is awesome - and on blu ray always a reference
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    RickM said:

I very much enjoyed Supergirl. I saw it in the theater (yes I'm old) and Helen Slater's loveliness made up for pretty much everything.

Supergirl has many problems, but you're right, Helen Slater makes up for a lot of the flaws. And kinda Faye Dunaway, too, in as much as that she clearly doesn't care that she's eating up so much of the scenery she has to eventually start moving on to the people.
  • Options
    Speaking of the Salkind Super-movies, I really like Superman III. There's a whole lot wrong with it, and most of the attempts at humor fall pretty flat, but it's pretty much the most Silver Age-y screen appearance of Superman ever, and I really like that about it. Also, the running gag where Clark and Lana are always having two conversations at once and Clark can never keep up always makes me smile. It seems kinda hokey for a movie in the 80s, but it's a real throwback to the sort of thing you'd see in a Rock Hudson and Doris Day movie. Both Chris Reeve and Annette O'Toole had the kind of old-fashioned screen presence at that point in their careers to make it work.

I have fewer kind things to say about Superman IV, but that's still weirdly watchable, too. And go back and watch Margot Kidder closely... it's never explicitly stated, but the way she's playing it, Lois totally knows Clark is Superman and is just keeping up the pretense. It takes a away little of the creepy vibe of the roofie kiss from Part 2.

But as bad as III and IV may be overall, I'll take 'em any day of the week over Superman Returns.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2013

Throw me in with the people who liked Daredevil.

Also, I liked X3 and Wolverine....I still don't get why people bashed those.

Others include:

The Phantom(with Treat Williams and Billy Zane)
    Constantine

I enjoyed Wolverine too; still not sure how I feel about X3 though. Loved The Phantom (saw it again recently on Netflix and my 7-year-old son loved it) and Constantine. Good picks!

I think that it's funny that these are "guilty pleasures" for everyone. They're that way because the majority of the population didn't like them. I also think it's funny that most-if not all--of us will admit to the films/shows having some missteps, but for some reason we're willing to look past them and look at the bigger picture. There's some good picks in here that I now want to check out.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I really liked Constantine and dont get the hate. I also enjoy the Phantom and dont think either should Nec. be a quilty pleasure. I understand the dislike for Wolverine and X3 if for no other reason than by comparing them to the start of that franchise. I think theyre both ok but not guilty pleasures for me. Superman Returns might bet since I think they got more right than wrong. (moreso/better than Wolverine/Spidey3/X3 IMO) Another might be the original Swamp Thing... but the return did suck. I too enjoy Superman3 despite how completely absurd and bad it is.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2013
    I love 70's Godzilla movies where Godzilla would rope-a-dope his monster opponent and then wave goodbye to his human buddies at the end of the movie.
    However, I like Gamara more the Godzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRHqvC7f_o
  • Options
    I'll add Mystery Men to the list of guilty pleasures. Always liked that one. Rented "All Superheroes Must Die" from a Redbox this weekend. Can't say I recommend that one. Surprisingly homemade for a Redbox release. Given the recent CGS legal episode, I'm surprised they got it released with that title (then again there was "Superhero: The Movie" so maybe that trademark applies more to print. They must have made a very large batch of fake blood as anyone who got punched spit a big glob of it out of their mouth, lol. Saw one familiar face dressed as Uncle Sam (can't remember the actor's name). I'll give that writer/director/producer/star props on getting Redbox distribution though!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    the Flash TV series is pretty well respected in the Geek community so no guilt there. I really loved Lois and Clark and there is some guilt there.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    shroud68 said:

the Flash TV series is pretty well respected in the Geek community so no guilt there. I really loved Lois and Clark and there is some guilt there.

Agreed with Flash, but Lois and Clark was a pretty solid, successful show—nothing to feel guilty about there.

One I forgot to mention was the Adventures of Superboy series that ran from 1988-92. The first season wasn’t very good, but once Sherman Howard came on board as Lex Luthor it really picked up. It had a terrible time slot—Saturday at noon or 12:30—and was often pre-empted in my area for sports events, so it didn’t really have much of a chance to catch on, but there were some really interesting stories, particularly in the last two seasons. Some of the writing credits included: Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel (probably a plot was lifted from one of their stories), Mike Carlin, J.M. DeMatteis, Cary Bates, Ilya Salkind, Andy Helfer, and Denny O’Neil.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526

I watch and like anything with Amanda Tapping in it.

@John_Steed Agreed 1,000%.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Put me in with the people who liked Supergirl (no real surprise there) and Daredevil. I still think DD has one of the more powerful scenes in any superhero movie (where the kid is watching him beat the crap out of someone and he has to assure the kid he's a good guy when he may not believe it himself).
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

Not really about superheroes, but I really enjoy the Masters of the Universe movie. It's cheap and not very good, but kinda fun. Frank Langella owns every scene he's in, and I saw in an interview on CBS Sunday Morning that he actually loved playing Skeletor and took the part because his son was a big He-Man fan. Awesome.
    blockquote>

For me that hits the nail on the head. Fun. I can forgive a movie being cheap and not very good (or just not good) as long as its fun. Masters of the Universe is fun.