Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guilty Pleasures - Superhero films and tv.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481

Speed Racer is awesome - and on blu ray always a reference

I was about to post this exactly! Very very underrated beautiful looking movie!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Okay, despite the flaws of both films, I enjoyed The Phantom and The Shadow.

In fact, I like to make a triple feature of those two and The Rocketeer, because of the similar "feel" of the films (at least in my head).
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The Shadow is a way under-appreciated film.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

One I forgot to mention was the Adventures of Superboy series that ran from 1988-92. The first season wasn’t very good, but once Sherman Howard came on board as Lex Luthor it really picked up. It had a terrible time slot—Saturday at noon or 12:30—and was often pre-empted in my area for sports events, so it didn’t really have much of a chance to catch on, but there were some really interesting stories, particularly in the last two seasons. Some of the writing credits included: Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel (probably a plot was lifted from one of their stories), Mike Carlin, J.M. DeMatteis, Cary Bates, Ilya Salkind, Andy Helfer, and Denny O’Neil.

I really liked the Superboy show at the time, particularly the later seasons like you mentioned. Never looked like it had a particularly high budget, but I appreciated that it never stopped them from bringing in characters like Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, and Metallo. They did several awesome alternate reality stories, too.

I've heard a story that the Superboy from seasons 2-4, Gerard Christopher, almost got cast for Lois & Clark, too, and may have only lost out on the part because the producers eventually discovered he had been Superboy and didn't want to hire anyone as Clark that had already played the role. Might be apocryphal, but it's a great story.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

The Shadow is a way under-appreciated film.

Yeah, The Shadow wasn’t bad, and I quite liked Dick Tracy too for that matter.
  • Options
    Anyone ever seen The Specials? It's a low budget comedy about a superhero team that finally achieves the superhero world's equivalent of an Oscar - their own action figure line - and all of the problems that result from that (one hero being recruited by a team that's actually popular, personality conflicts, inter-team romance attempts, the action figures really suck, etc.). Not great, but kinda fun, the cast is pretty good - Rob Lowe, Thomas Haden Church, Jamie Kennedy, Paget Brewster, Judy Greer, and a bunch of others - and it makes good use of the song "Life is a Rock (but the Radio Rolled Me)," which is always a good thing.
  • Options
    The Specials is superb. Brilliantly imagined on virtually no budget with some great characters. It's funny and reminds me a bit of the Bwah ha ha years of Justice League. I particularly love the final gag though. Everyone should definitely see this.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I liked' Rainn Wilson's "Super" - was surprisingly interesting and funny.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited March 2013
    ctowner1 said:

I liked' Rainn Wilson's "Super" - was surprisingly interesting and funny.

e
    L nny

LOVE this movie. A very radical take on the "superhero in real life" schtick.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Super disappointed in Super. Liked the Shadow but not as much as Phantom or Dick Tracy, I think it gives up on itself half way through. Watched both versions of Superboy live action and liked them but never considered them very good and Im sure I couldnt bare watching them now. I remember I loved the redhead on that show though.
    Niether Speed Racer nor Rocketeer should be considered guilty pleasyres.
  • Options
    Anyone else have a soft spot for The Return of Captain Invincible? I remember liking Condorman as well, when I was a kid, but I suspect that hasn't aged well.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Vilify me all you want - I enjoyed both of the recent Fantastic Four movies...
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Torchsong said:

Once you realize they are aimed at kids, they work...at least for me.

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

Torchsong said:

It must be why they worked on me! ;)
  • Options

And I will insist until my dying day that Speed Racer is a good movie. It's big and bright and toyetic in the best ways possible.

I love love love Speed Racer. It's not ok, not a guilty pleasure, its good
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    rebis said:

I love 70's Godzilla movies where Godzilla would rope-a-dope his monster opponent and then wave goodbye to his human buddies at the end of the movie.
    However, I like Gamara more the Godzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRHqvC7f_o

For some reason, I also preferred Gamera to Godzilla. Maybe it was because they showed them more often on TV when I was a kid. I must have seen that one where the two boys end up on an alien planet and Gamera has to rescue them dozens of times.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Torchsong said:

I enjoyed them more than some of the more serious superhero films that came out around the same time.

Given the choice, I'd probably be more likely to re-watch the FF films than Superman Returns or Spider-Man 3. At least they're quick and entertaining.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Watched both versions of Superboy live action and liked them but never considered them very good and Im sure I couldnt bare watching them now. I remember I loved the redhead on that show though.

Stacy Haiduk... :x

I remember liking Condorman as well, when I was a kid, but I suspect that hasn't aged well.

Condorman probably hasn't aged well, but so little of that 70s live-action Disney does. That's almost part of the charm now, though. I really wanna re-watch that some day. And the Witch Mountain movies. And the Dexter Riley movies. And and and...
    Torchsong said:

I couldn't get into the second one, but the first one was pretty good. It had a goofy charm that appealed to me, and I thought it was a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the leaden seriousness of Batman Begins.
  • Options
    I love some of those live action Disney films. Especially the ones with Dean Jones. I think he was probably one of my childhood heros.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

Ugh... once you say they're aimed at kids, I like them even less... I can't imagine a kid finding anything appealing about them... with the exception of Johnny Storm... I thought his character was fun.
  • Options
    The Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Galactica, Land of the Lost, Six Million Dollar Man... any of these shows I find extremely entertaining and comforting. Sure, they were crap by today's standards, but that's ok by me.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Tonebone said:

The Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Galactica, Land of the Lost, Six Million Dollar Man... any of these shows I find extremely entertaining and comforting. Sure, they were crap by today's standards, but that's ok by me.

Some of those were crap even by the standards of those days! Though Land Of The Lost generally made up for the cheesy effects with better-than-average writing. Certainly a far shot better than the recent movie.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Tonebone said:

Some of those were crap even by the standards of those days! Though Land Of The Lost generally made up for the cheesy effects with better-than-average writing. Certainly a far shot better than the recent movie.
    I rewatched the first season of Land of the Lost last year and was amazed at how well it was written.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Loved Condorman as a kid. From the bits and clips Ive seen since, its pretty bad but nostalgia keeps it enjoyable. I also have fond memories of the Captain America TV specials. I know theyre aweful I loved them even if I cant sit through them now.
    I think thats the defining factor of this thread... do you enjoy it and watch it despite its real or perceived suckyness?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    dubbat138 said:

Tonebone said:

I rewatched the first season of Land of the Lost last year and was amazed at how well it was written.
    It had the 'Star Trek' advantage in having writers like D C Fontana and a story editor like David Gerrold.