Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1353 Talkback: TV Talk on The Walking Dead and More

Easter Sunday was a big night for geek television, and in this episode we bring you the highlights, from Walking Dead to Game of Thrones to. . . Masterpiece Theatre?? Also, Pants bends Jamie's ear about Dr. Who, and Jamie sounds off on Comic Book Men. (1:13:55)

Listen here.

Comments

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I love me some TV Talk 3:-O
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Lethbridge-Stewart first appeared as a colonel in Web of Fear with the 2nd Dr.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    TV talk is always good.
  • abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited April 2013
    Wow, this is the first positive reaction to the finale I've heard. Many critical and Twitter rections found it be flawed, primarily that it didn't deliver on the Rick vs. Governor battle that's been setup throughout the season along with the Governor's survival. A question that was consistently asked is "why Rick didn’t just choose to bring his group over to Woodbury instead of locking everyone in a prison that arguably doesn’t have enough room (at least, not enough clean room) to support them?"
    I have heard much in the negative when it comes to the finale. I'm looking forward to a more positive review of the finale. Also, I had heard mixed reactions to what happens to Andrea.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Jamie

The guy Carl shot outside the prison was not part of Tyreese's group, he was the kid from Woodbury with asthma who's mom tried to get him out of serving in the Governor's army.

The kid from Tyreese's group was the one how got shot by Merle when he was trying to kill the Governor.
    Yeah. The Brigadier was in some of the Second Doctor stories. I remember him in the story "The Invasion" which was really good and when you see the Five Doctors, each of the Doctor had one companion with him for the adventure and representing the 2nd Doctor was in fact the Brigadier as the Third Doctor was represented by Sarah Jane.

@Pants, Torchwood is a nice comanion show to Doctor Who if you want to watch it. The first season of Torchwood runs sort of parallel to the 3rd season of Doctor Who to the point that if you wanted to watch them sort of at the same time, you could and it would be a good viewing. You do get mentions of Torchwood at the end of seasons 3 & 4 of Doctor Who but you don't have to watch them to really get it but Torchwood is a fun show with really good characters. I found season 2 to be a bit better than 1 but not by much. If I can recommend to you a comic, you might really enjoy the Doctor Who comic story called "The Forgotten". It's a 10th Doctor story where he loses his memory and somehow he finds himself in a museum with all of his stuff and each item he sees makes him remember a past story as a past incarnation. I liked it a lot. Also, the Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who story is excellent with amazing art by JK Woodward that is just gorgeous. Enjoy your continued journey into the world of Doctor Who. It's a lot of fun to experience and I'm pretty jealous in that your getting to experience this stuff for the first time and it's always fun the first time around. Enjoy.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    It's true that Lethbridge-Stewart first appeared with the Second Doctor, but the actor, Nicholas Courtney, first worked on the series during the First Doctor's tenure.
    Really? Do you know what story he was in?
    edited April 2013
    Oh. I have a question for @Adam_Murdough or anyone else who has this same problem. Why the hate for Chris Hardwick? I listen to his podcast and find it entertainng. I don't watch Talking Dead but did after the finale and thought it was pretty insightful. I watched the first episode of his BBC America show, The Nerdist and found it kind of interesting. Not sure if I'll stick with it but it wasn't horrible so why do people think so badly of him?
  • sandmansandman Posts: 199
    The Walking Dead finale was a pretty big departure from the comic books. Do you expect the show to follow the comics at all from here on out?

Also, I know people complained about season 2 being slow. And some people complained about season 3 being slow at times. If they spend season 4 at the prison is it going to be like being at the farm again?
    I think there have been big depatures from the show going as far back as season 1. We have seen characters who are still alive in the comics no longer alive. We have seen deaths of characters being very different than how they went out. We have seen characters who died much earlier in the comics last much longer in the show. Also, with certain deaths in the show, it changes the interactions of characters from the comic. Relationships that happened in the comic won't happen now and with original characters in the show, we'll see relationships that you won't see in the comic. I mean, one of the most popular characters in the show is someone who isn't even in the comic. I think we'll get a lot of differences from the comic and that's the greatest aspect of the show in my opinion.
    edited April 2013
    jaydee74 said:

"The Nightmare Begins"

It was a Dalek story. The Doctor hadn't yet gone through his first regeneration, and was traveling with Katarina and Steven. Nicholas Courtney played a security agent named Bret Vyon. I don't know if it's on DVD or if it's one of the lost episodes.

• shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Love the Doctor Who talk. Big Brigadeer fan. I love how because of his longevity you got to see him retired several times but still relevant. Loved the Sarah Jane spinoff appearance and while his daughter's appearance was sort of dumped out there it still works especially how see identifies him when she first sees him.

jaydee74 said:

"The Nightmare Begins"

It was a Dalek story. The Doctor hadn't yet gone through his first regeneration, and was traveling with Katarina and Steven. Nicholas Courtney played a security agent named Bret Vyon. I don't know if it's on DVD or if it's one of the lost episodes.

I googled it and it seems that there are some videos. I have to say I'm not very familiar with the companions. I know Ian, Barbara and Susan as well as Ben and Polly. These companions are pretty unfamiliar to me. That's aweosme. Must check this out.
  • sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    jaydee74 said:

I think there have been big depatures from the show going as far back as season 1. We have seen characters who are still alive in the comics no longer alive. We have seen deaths of characters being very different than how they went out. We have seen characters who died much earlier in the comics last much longer in the show. Also, with certain deaths in the show, it changes the interactions of characters from the comic. Relationships that happened in the comic won't happen now and with original characters in the show, we'll see relationships that you won't see in the comic. I mean, one of the most popular characters in the show is someone who isn't even in the comic. I think we'll get a lot of differences from the comic and that's the greatest aspect of the show in my opinion.

jaydee74 said:

We have seen characters who are still alive in the comics no longer alive . . . Also, with certain deaths in the show, it changes the interactions of characters from the comic. Relationships that happened in the comic won't happen now and with original characters in the show, we'll see relationships that you won't see in the comic.

I know that there have been changes in the show that didn't happen in the comics, but the show was hitting some general points that kept it moving with the comics. Rick wakes up and finds his way home where he meets Morgan and his son. Rick makes his way to Atlanta where he runs into trouble and meets Glenn (and others) and they make it back to the camp. The camp gets attacked. Carl gets shot and the groups goes to the farm. They discover the zombies being kept in the barn. Shane and Rick come to a head and Carl kills (zombie) Shane. The group leaves the farm and move into the prison. Having to fight off the Governor. I know that things happen differently, but they where still hitting some general markers. But because of the same relationships not being there now, and since they weren't driven from the prison, it would seem that they have to be going on a tangent nowhere near the comic books now.

I'm not complaining. I like that I have two Walking Dead worlds where I can't be sure what will happen in either. I was wondering about people's expectations about what happens next. Are there things that you hope will still happen? Is staying at the prison or these different relationships going to throw out a lot of things from the comics? I know that some people are cautious about spoilers. Are you at all worried that reading the comics will spoil the show, or vice versa? I'm just curious to get reactions and feelings about where they'll go next.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah but there are a lot of slight differences as well when it comes to how people died, when they died and other stuff. You got relationships in the comics that you won't see in the show as well ones in the show that won't happen in the book. Yes, the beats are similar but the details are a bit different which I like and make me wonder how different it's going to be going forward. One thing I would love to see is a relationship between Carol and Darryl.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Pant's fear of spoilers will prevent him from reading this (and most other) threads :))
    Yup. I can see him about to look at the thread and get so nervous about spoilers that he throws his computer in fear of him reading a spoiler.
    edited April 2013
    jaydee74 said:

jaydee74 said:

"The Nightmare Begins"

I googled it and it seems that there are some videos. I have to say I'm not very familiar with the companions. I know Ian, Barbara and Susan as well as Ben and Polly. These companions are pretty unfamiliar to me. That's aweosme. Must check this out.
    While I've seen a lot of the earlier William Hartnell, I haven't seen very many from this later period myself, though I have seen one or two with Steven, who was an astronaut from some future century. He was played by a young Peter Purves, who's better known today as Wormtail in the Harry Potter movies.

I think Steven came along shortly after Ian and Barbara got back home and stuck around until shortly after Ben and Polly came along; Katarina had the shortest tenure of all of the Doctor's companions -- this was her second and last adventure with him, having only just come on board at the end of the previous adventure.
    Interesting. I'll have to check out those videos when I get home from work. Very neat.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    abuddah said:

Wow, this is the first positive reaction to the finale I've heard. Many critical and Twitter rections found it be flawed, primarily that it didn't deliver on the Rick vs. Governor battle that's been setup throughout the season along with the Governor's survival. A question that was consistently asked is "why Rick didn’t just choose to bring his group over to Woodbury instead of locking everyone in a prison that arguably doesn’t have enough room (at least, not enough clean room) to support them?"

Yeah it seems all I see online is people hating on TWD finale. I loved it and everyone I know that saw it loved it. But I had a feeling months ago that the big Rick vs Governor storyline wouldn't wrap up till next season.
    I'm not sure why but it really just be the vocal minority. The finale once again set records for AMC and as Mr. Jamie D said, this show is topping the Nielsons not just for cable shows but for shows overall. More and more people are checking out this show and it's in my opinion getting better with each season.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Pimp, I'm with you on Jenna-Louise Coleman. Ever since this moment during the Christmas Special
    NICE!
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

jaydee74 said:

"The Nightmare Begins"

This was part of a 12-episode serial known collectively as The Daleks' Master Plan. Until the 14 part Trial of a Time Lord story that made up season 23 (which, despite being one story, was really 4 stories stitched together with the ongoing trial sequences), DMP was the longest Doctor Who serial ever. And according to Wikipedia, of the 12 episodes, NINE are missing! So your chances of seeing this ever aren't good, but I think BBC has released the audio tracks with narration, though, like they have for so many of the other missing stories. And there are always recreations and the Target novelizations (they broke the story up into two books).

jaydee74 said:

"The Nightmare Begins"

This was part of a 12-episode serial known collectively as The Daleks' Master Plan. Until the 14 part Trial of a Time Lord story that made up season 23 (which, despite being one story, was really 4 stories stitched together with the ongoing trial sequences), DMP was the longest Doctor Who serial ever. And according to Wikipedia, of the 12 episodes, NINE are missing! So your chances of seeing this ever aren't good, but I think BBC has released the audio tracks with narration, though, like they have for so many of the other missing stories. And there are always recreations and the Target novelizations (they broke the story up into two books).
    I had always thought the Patrick Troughton finale, "The War Games" had been the longest Dr Who serial... but I see that only had ten episodes. I guess it's fair to say, then, that "War Games" is the longest intact Dr Who serial available. (Apart from the asterisked "Trial Of A Time Lord").

• grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited April 2013

Audible has it available for download--in fact I just got it yesterday. I did not realize that as many as nine of the episodes were missing! Wow!

Audible has it available for download--in fact I just got it yesterday. I did not realize that as many as nine of the episodes were missing! Wow!

There are a lot of incomplete Dr Who stories due to missing tapes: most of the Troughton era, about roughly half of the Hartnell episodes, and even a few of the Pertwee I believe. This is a result of a lack of prescience among the TV execs and producers who never imagined there might have been a future audience for the show, or that there would be a means of selling the shows directly for home viewing. A lot of the tapes were either lost, disposed of, reused, or misfiled. Every now and then a station will find an intact episode stuck in their storage and return it, making it possible to release another adventure to DVD.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

There are a lot of incomplete Dr Who stories due to missing tapes: most of the Troughton era, about roughly half of the Hartnell episodes, and even a few of the Pertwee I believe. This is a result of a lack of prescience among the TV execs and producers who never imagined there might have been a future audience for the show, or that there would be a means of selling the shows directly for home viewing. A lot of the tapes were either lost, disposed of, reused, or misfiled. Every now and then a station will find an intact episode stuck in their storage and return it, making it possible to release another adventure to DVD.
    This was pretty common practice in the early days of TV. That's why there's so little existing footage of early Johnny Carson-era Tonight Show, to use another famous example. You'd think someone would have had an eye toward history, but most TV was seen as ephemeral in those days, to be aired once and then either recycled (for stuff on videotape) or dumped (LITERALLY! NBC allegedly routinely dumped their old film into the East River).

Some folks had an eye toward the future. There's not nearly as much Ernie Kovacs footage as there should be, but what we do still have is due to the efforts of his widow, Edie Adams. When she heard Kovacs's stuff was getting dumped, she approached the various networks and asked if she could purchase it from them. Thankfully they agreed (they cleared up space and turned a little profit besides, everyone won), and she bought stuff piecemeal from them when she could for many years. She was a hell of a performer, and clearly a smart businessperson to boot.