Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biggest Order/Amount Paid

I submitted my April Solicits order with DCBS and it was by far the biggest and most expensive order I have ever placed. It was $636 retail and $365. 26 after the DCBS discounts. There were 3 Omnibus, a marvel master works, a DC archives, 7 other trades, 4 floppies, and two hardcover collections.

I was wonder what was the biggest orders (items order + cost) that the rest of the forum members have had?

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2013
    Mine was somewhere around $90-$100 after the discounts, I'd be hospitalized by my better half if i went over that. I can't remember everthing that was in there, I do remember having a lot of trades in there for the kids along with my normal floppies.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I am always between $185 and $250. I was up over $300 this month but had to cut out the Sandman Omnibus and a few other trades from the order to get it down to $200. I hope someday money won't be an issue but today is not that day.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I am usually around $150 to $175 range. My biggest order prior to this was around $230. The crazy thing is, I could have easily gone higher. There were at least 2 more trades I wanted.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited April 2013
    My biggest order was around $187 when I ordered all 16 Cerebus phonebooks on a 1/2 price sale.

Otherwise, my usual order is around $120-140

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    oh..I take that back...I hit $212 the month I ordered 2 Rocketeer Deluxe Editions (although 1 was for a friend, does that count??).
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,616
    $160 from DCBService. Invisibles Omnibus plus one of the early postFlashpoint DC trade releases. Ugghhh. That shortly after that month I started really culling out DC titles I wan't interested in.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    From DCBS: $107.75...not sure what it would have been retail.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    $207 was my biggest order ever (Aug 2008). Most expensive things in that order were:

* Camelot 3000 HC $17
    * NAKED FAT RAVE JAM SGN PORTFOLIO $45

Funny thing is the portfolio was never shipped and eventually canceled.

4 years later, I saw one sitting at Michael Golden's table at a con and picked it up from him for $20 including a sig on his plate.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    $186.05 was my peak. I have never topped $200, nor do I want to if I expect to keep breathing. :)

I shoot for $100 as my average. Sometimes I come in way under, sometimes way over. Basically I run through and click on everything I see that I might want. Then when I see the total is just too damn high, I start cutting things out from "might want" to "definitely want".
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I don't know the exact total of mine, but about 6 years ago before I moved out of my parent's house Buy.com used to have 11% off Amazon's prices, plus they sent codes out for another 8% off, so essentially every book was about 50-60% off. I bought about 3 long boxes full of trades, so I'm guessing $500 or so is what I paid. Wish I was young and single again so I could have that much free cash again!
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    edited April 2013
    Mine was $362.06 in June of 2009. Complete Essex County HC, Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 3, and the Usagi Yojimbo special edition were the big items.

On average, I spend about $125 or so a month. It has gone down considerably in the last couple of years.

My smallest order was $54 this January, for those keeping score at home.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2013
    I'm showing this thread to my wife to show her what I could be like. :D

I think last month was my highest at about $150, but I was purchasing some future gifts for my brother-in-law. Usually I hover at about $75. There's so much I'm not getting anymore.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I was actually surprised when I looked this up - my largest order was $293.98.

Even at my heaviest regular orders, I was usually around $75 a month.

Now I'm at $30 a month. Almost 10 times that for one month is... well, honestly, a little sickening.

What got me that month? Looks like three Batman B&W statues that had been cancelled and then resolicited for that month, and two more that were solicited for the first time.

After that, it was a reasonable order with one trade and the rest comics.

Five of those stinking statues in one month. Man, if I hadn't already stopped picking up the new statues, this reminder would have pushed me to it.

Excuse me, I need to go slap myself in the head... a lot.
  • Options
    Jeez... my biggest purchase this week was a soda at work... they only cost 25 cents, and I had to borrow a nickel.
  • Options
    SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    Over about 6 and a half years with DCBS, I had three months over the $300 range. For a few years, I tried to make a goal of getting the total down to $100 but always managed to hit about $200. Lately, with the exception of those months with IDW Artist Editions, getting it under $100 has not been a problem. Some months, it is way under that mark. Those trades and art books usually make up the total with just a handful of Marvel and independent floppies and not much of any DC, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    My usual order is between $150 and $200, including shipping to UK. The highest cost was $288 which will not happen again any time soon
  • Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    And I thought my $30 monthly Comixology order was a lot. Do any of you guys have time to read all these?
  • Options
    Hellsfire said:

And I thought my $30 monthly Comixology order was a lot. Do any of you guys have time to read all these?

I have a pretty big "to read pile" but I do get through most of my monthly order except if there is something really large like an Omnibus.

I did lower the $365 in the first thread post to $343. It is a drop in the bucket but there is nothing left I want cut. From the advanced solicits released this week, it does look like my May Previews order with DCBS will be back down to around $150. (I hope)
  • Options
    Good question @Hellsfire . I typically get 35-40 single issues. I read all of those every month. Those come first in my reading. Then I read trades. I do have a backlog of trades but not single issues.
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    $227 and half of that was the Born Again artist edition.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    larry said:

Good question @Hellsfire . I typically get 35-40 single issues. I read all of those every month. Those come first in my reading. Then I read trades. I do have a backlog of trades but not single issues.

This is my situation as well. I've got quite a lot of trades backed up right now and I've even got a bunch of Comixology books/collections waiting for me as well. I enjoy taking my time with these and so it takes me longer to read.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

This might be a little off topic but I wrestle with buying from DCBS vs my LCS. Sure, I'd probably save money going with DCBS but there are advantages I get from my LCS that I wouldn't get elsewhere. I get some really good special deals, enjoy the conversation at the shop, enjoy going weekly with my friends, like how I can browse new titles without buying them first. It's the whole comic book experience I like the best, I look forward to it every week. I wouldn't get that with DCBS. Anyway, my largest buy was around $300 which included a framed piece of art.
  • Options
    fxmatt said:

This might be a little off topic but I wrestle with buying from DCBS vs my LCS. Sure, I'd probably save money going with DCBS but there are advantages I get from my LCS that I wouldn't get elsewhere. I get some really good special deals, enjoy the conversation at the shop, enjoy going weekly with my friends, like how I can browse new titles without buying them first. It's the whole comic book experience I like the best, I look forward to it every week. I wouldn't get that with DCBS. Anyway, my largest buy was around $300 which included a framed piece of art.

If overall I bought less stuff, I would just deal with my LCS. But since I primarily just get trades, the 45% discount with DCBS wins out against the 10% at my LCS. I would have to cut way back on ordering without the discount.

I do still buy stuff at my LCS, i just do not have a regular order. There are a lot of stores in my area. 6 stores for a town of 500,000 plus another 5 to 10 stores located 60 to 90 mins away. So it is easy to find something.
  • Options
    @fxmatt Sounds like you have a great thing going with your LCS. I have two nearby that I never go to for various reasons. When I was in college there was an LCS that I hung out at, knew everybody, and bought everything from. After I moved I was very disappointed in the offerings nearby. It's all DCBS now for me but if I had my old LCS back I would probably buy everything there.