Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News - Orphan Black

I have been watching and loving this new series from BBC America. What do you think of this show?

Comments

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Got it recorded, but haven't watched any, yet. Glad to know you are liking it.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    A friend was just recommending this show to me the other night. I don't get BBC America, so I'll have to wait until it gets released to DVD.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Oh, it's freaking amazing and maybe it's just me because I love this kind of show and the mystery it presents but for me, it's really good. Also, for those who have seen at least the first episode, it presents an amazingly awesome question which is what if you see someone who looks just like you? What if you can assume their life because right now your life isn't so great but once you do, you assume a whole new group of problems? I love it and there is much more to it than just that. Also, I love the lead actress who is so good in the role(s).
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Watching and enjoying.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2013
    It's great. A lot of ass-kicking and mystery, and I get the feeling Tatiana Maslany is someone we are going to be seeing a lot more work from in years to come. It is definitely a star-making (multiple) role.

And I hear the series only gets better as it goes along. . .

Also, for those who want to give it a try, or check it out ahead of DVD release and such, you can currently watch the whole pilot episode on the BBC America Website.

(Or at least you can in the US-- there may be restrictions in other countries, I'm not sure)
  • Options
    That's awesome. Yeah, I love Tatiana Maslany in this. I saw her on the Nerdist and didn't realize that the British accent was not hers. She does a great job with all of the roles.
  • Options
    David_D said:

It's great. A lot of ass-kicking and mystery, and I get the feeling Tatiana Maslany is someone we are going to be seeing a lot more work from in years to come. It is definitely a star-making (multiple) role.

And I hear the series only gets better as it goes along. . .

Also, for those who want to give it a try, or check it out ahead of DVD release and such, you can currently watch the whole pilot episode on the BBC America Website.

(Or at least you can in the US-- there may be restrictions in other countries, I'm not sure)

I'm going to wait for the DVD, so I won't have to watch the stream.
  • Options
    So, I now have a favorite and it's science geek Sarah. Love her.
  • Options
    The wife and I watched the first 3 episodes this weekend, and we liked it very much. I can't speak for the rest of the series, but at least in episodes 2 & 3 they toned it down a bit (from TV-MA to TV-14) from the pilot. (less sex/nudity/profanity).
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Been watching it since day one. Great book!
  • Options
    This show continues to really have me interested in the overall mystery.
  • Options
    Renewed for season 2.

Deadline
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Renewed for season 2.

Deadline

You beat me to it! Excellent news.
  • Options
    A few episodes behind, but still loving it. The Mrs. and I should get caught up on all of them this weekend.
  • Options
    @kgforce

And in case you didn't already have them all on your DVR, BBC America is doing a marathon today ahead of tonight's season finale.
  • Options
    @kgforce

And in case you didn't already have them all on your DVR, BBC America is doing a marathon today ahead of tonight's season finale.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We had a 3 episode mini-marathon last night... caught up and ready for the finale tonight!
  • Options
    kevinvolokevinvolo Posts: 70
    Fantastic Show!
  • Options
    It was great to see Patton Oswalt and Damon Lindelof tweeting their love of the show, and Tatiana Maslany's amazing performance(s).

A lot of TV critics are pushing for her to get an Emmy nomination. It is always an uphill battle given that it is a genre show, and BBC America is just getting started in originals. But here's hoping.
  • Options
    David_D said:

...Tatiana Maslany's amazing performance(s).

A lot of TV critics are pushing for her to get an Emmy nomination. It is always an uphill battle given that it is a genre show, and BBC America is just getting started in originals. But here's hoping.

She really is remarkable at playing so many characters.

• Options
    I see in my Westfield catalog (and thus I assume it must be in the Previews as well) for August releases that the DVD for the first season has been solicited.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I started watching this casually, but by the third episode, I actually liked it a LOT more than Doctor Who's season. LOTS of stuff going on in each episode, a nice mix of comedy, action and drama, and an amazing job by Tatiana...she makes each "clone" seem different by how they move, not just the accents.

I wonder how it woudl have ended if they hadn't gotten the second season pickup?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I wonder how it woudl have ended if they hadn't gotten the second season pickup?

Filming on the first season had wrapped months before the show premiered, so it would have ended exactly the same had it not been renewed.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    tazmaniak said:

Filming on the first season had wrapped months before the show premiered, so it would have ended exactly the same had it not been renewed.
    That worries me, to be honest. I hate watching a complex "continued" show that might not have an ending. I can't tell you how many TV shows I watched in the last decade that ended on a cliffhanger, never to return.

• Options
    tazmaniak said:

You beat me to it!

To Cory's point, though, for all the "continued" shows that ended on a cliffhanger and didn't return, there are also many that ended on a cliffhanger that did. So it is a risk, but it is the risk they may feel they need to take to have enough tension to sustain interest in the time between seasons.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Watchjed the first episode yesterday on many peoples recommendation, David D and Bill Ellis and Dani O'Brien I am looking your way, and really enjoyed the first episode although that wasnt New York in any way shape or form and the scene where she gets the money from her account, what the hell kind of money was that, Canadian from the look. I do know thats where it is filmed, just a few nit picks in an otherwise interesting show, will watch them all by the end of the week
  • Options
    I put the DVDs on my Netflix list, though, considering how large my list is currently, it'll be several months before I get a chance to see it.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

Watchjed the first episode yesterday on many peoples recommendation, David D and Bill Ellis and Dani O'Brien I am looking your way, and really enjoyed the first episode although that wasnt New York in any way shape or form and the scene where she gets the money from her account, what the hell kind of money was that, Canadian from the look. I do know thats where it is filmed, just a few nit picks in an otherwise interesting show, will watch them all by the end of the week

Thanks for checking it out-- yes, the show takes place in Canada, and is shot there. They never come out and say where it takes place, it is just sort of vaguely North America. I get annoyed when shows fake New York, but this one is not trying to fake NY, rather it is simply not making a big deal out of being in Canada. (Though also not hiding it completely, hence using Canadian currency). Hope you enjoy the rest!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @JamieD: Guess you got distracted by the hot chick ;) There are many shots which declare that the place is Toronto (Canada....). For instance: the travel itinerary at Elizabeth Child's place depicts a flight from Toronto to Cleveland, the cars have Ontario license plates, Toronto News Channel on the Tele, etc...etc...

But Tatiana Maslany truly is so darn hot.......
  • Options
    edited June 2013

@JamieD: Guess you got distracted by the hot chick ;) There are many shots which declare that the place is Toronto (Canada....). For instance: the travel itinerary at Elizabeth Child's place depicts a flight from Toronto to Cleveland, the cars have Ontario license plates, Toronto News Channel on the Tele, etc...etc...

But Tatiana Maslany truly is so darn hot.......

To be fair, my understanding is that they definitely played down the Toronto-ness of it. Which is to say, if someone in the US wanted to pretend that it was set somewhere in the US, I think they wouldn't have minded.