Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boston Marathon Explosions --

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2013
    Amen.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their loved ones.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Such sad news. My thoughts are with everybody in Boston.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2013
    The wife was in town with some coworkers for the Red Sox game today (I had to work), but was thankfully nowhere near the marathon finish line when it happened, said she didn't see, hear, or feel anything, and is now home safe and sound.

I just hope other people's stories have similarly happy endings.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    My thoughts are with Boston.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Thoughts and prayers out to the victims and the people of Boston.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    God Damnit What the F&^$ is wrong with people !?
    Blessings and Prayers to everyone effected. May the victims receive all the help and healing possible and may those responsible see swift appropriate justice.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I've run marathons in the states and here in the UK. The targeting of the supporters, families and friends is particularly shocking and cynical. The hearts of all runners and of everyone here go out to all those affected. Along with our respect and admiration for all the first responders who ran towards the blast site to help the fallen.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I really can't believe what has happened and like everyone else, my thoughts and prayers are with the people who were there. I want to bring attention to artist Yale Stewart who has something up at his site that I thought was pretty cool.

http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/
    https://gumroad.com/yalestewart#xgweK
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    They're reporting this morning that two additional devices were found unexploded nearby -- meaning that as horrific as the aftermath was, it was only half as horrific as the perpetrator(s) intended.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Good lord, I can't even imagine how it could have gotten worst until now. :(
  • Options

They're reporting this morning that two additional devices were found unexploded nearby -- meaning that as horrific as the aftermath was, it was only half as horrific as the perpetrator(s) intended.

AMENDED: The FBI are now saying in a live press release this morning that there were no other unexploded devices. There were only the two bombs.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2013
    Eight-year-old Martin Richard :(

...killed by something called a pressure-cooker bomb..which were packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings..

I think we can narrow down which group of radicals is to blame:
    Although no group has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks, similar devices were used in the failed 2010 attempt to bomb Times Square by Faisal Shahzad, who admitted he had undergone bomb-making training at a militant Islamist faction camp in Pakistan.

A pressure-cooker bomb is also a preferred weapon of al-Qaeda and listed as the 'most effective' weapon of jihad, according to an English-language terror magazine called Inspire, in an article entitled 'How to Build a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom'.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited April 2013
    Mr_Cosmic said:

...killed by something called a pressure-cooker bomb..which were packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings..

Although no group has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks, similar devices were used in the failed 2010 attempt to bomb Times Square by Faisal Shahzad, who admitted he had undergone bomb-making training at a militant Islamist faction camp in Pakistan.

A pressure-cooker bomb is also a preferred weapon of al-Qaeda and listed as the 'most effective' weapon of jihad, according to an English-language terror magazine called Inspire, in an article entitled 'How to Build a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom'.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think we should jump to conclusions before there is more evidence to support who's responsible. That's how lynch mobs and vigilante justice gets started. At times like these, we so want to place blame, but we have to be objective until the guilty party(ies) can be identified. Plus, I have heard a former Counter-terrorist Advisory Task Force (worked with Bush and Obama), Roger Cressi, who stated he is leaning more toward domestic than international.

M.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think we should jump to conclusions before there is more evidence to support who's responsible. That's how lynch mobs and vigilante justice gets started. At times like these, we so want to place blame, but we have to be objective until the guilty party(ies) can be identified. Plus, I have heard a former Counter-terrorist Advisory Task Force (worked with Bush and Obama), Roger Cressi, who stated he is leaning more toward domestic than international.

M.

Quoted for truth. Running around saying "Well I think it's THESE GUYS" accomplishes nothing and only leads to an atmosphere of fear and paranoia. Everyone was SO SURE Oklahoma City was the result of foreign terrorists, and everyone was SO SURE that Richard Jewell was behind the Atlanta Olympic Park bombing, and in both cases "everyone" was wrong.

Don't let opinions color the view of the evidence. Let the evidence report the FACTS.
  • Options
    Agreed. So far, this act smells to me of domestic terrorism rather than international -- there's a lack of credit claimed for the bombing for one thing -- but, as pointed out, we really don't know anything one way or the other. Let's wait until the evidence is examined and the first leads are chased down and see what the investigators say before we start pointing fingers.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2013
    Ok, I get it, but I don't think ignoring the fact that this sort of bomb is a favorite of radical Islamists is somehow doing the right thing. I'm not calling for anyone to take justice into their own hands...just stating facts.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Ok, I get it, but I don't think ignoring the fact that this sort of bomb is a favorite of radical Islamists is somehow doing the right thing. I'm not calling for anyone to take justice into their own hands...just stating facts.

Don't worry, I was certain because of the venue (a marathon with runners from around the world) that this was foreign terrorists. The more info I have obtained, such as around the 4hr mark it is mostly runners for charities finishing the race, the less I see this as a "world stage" and more domestic. Also, no foreign groups have pounded their chests claiming responsibility for the bombings.

Hell, I've always thought the Super Bowl & Times Square on New Year's are possible targets for terrorists. Bombs (specifically pipe bombs) are way more effective then assault rifles. I also recognize that maiming people is somewhat more sinister then killing people. The suffering, images, & reminders last longer. Having said all those facts, I would never doing anything like these bombings.

M
  • Options
  • Options
    CNN was just reporting that the FBI has identified a suspect, but hasn't yet released that ID to the press. There's supposed to be a press conference soon, maybe there will be more details then.
  • Options
    They're now reporting that an arrest has been made, and that the press conference will be at 5 PM eastern time.
  • Options
    ...annnnnnd now they're saying that there hasn't been an arrest made, though they do have a suspect.

I wish they would check their stories before they air them!!!!
  • Options
    Matt said:

Don't worry, I was certain because of the venue (a marathon with runners from around the world) that this was foreign terrorists. The more info I have obtained, such as around the 4hr mark it is mostly runners for charities finishing the race, the less I see this as a "world stage" and more domestic. Also, no foreign groups have pounded their chests claiming responsibility for the bombings.

Interestingly, I heard an analyst say this morning that it looks like people in these foreign terror groups are pretty much scouring for info since a lot of them don't know if it was one of their guys (or inspired by them) or something homegrown, either.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    And now there's an explosion in West Texas near Waco . This explosion took place at a fertilizer plant, so it could very well be attributable to an industrial accident. But as accidents go, this one's shaping up to be quite a doozy. Initial reports of hundreds injured and a nearby nursing home being leveled suggest the initial casualty count will likely rise in the hours to follow. My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone involved in this incident.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Explosion-Injuries-Reported-At-West-Fertilizer-Plant-203505331.html
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2013
    wow......

"There are no official numbers, but Dr. George Smith, the head of West, Texas EMS confirms that there at least 60 dead and over 100 injured, CBS News has learned."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57580172/doctor-60-dead-and-over-100-injured-in-texas-fertilizer-plant-blast/
  • Options

wow......

"There are no official numbers, but Dr. George Smith, the head of West, Texas EMS confirms that there at least 60 dead and over 100 injured, CBS News has learned."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57580172/doctor-60-dead-and-over-100-injured-in-texas-fertilizer-plant-blast/

Again, the reporters need to double-check their facts. I heard between 5 and 15 dead before I went to bed, and that number hasn't changed yet this morning.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    In the old days the news travelled much slower but has been fact checked first. The internet is way too quick for its own good. The quality is lacking. Better to wait until "news" cool down a bit.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wow! What a crazy situation unfolding in Watertown Massachusetts. One MIT campus police officer dead, another police officer is in critical condition. The bomber suspects fled in a hijacked vehicle with a hostage. That hostage was released. Police pursued the vehicle. The bombing suspects threw explosives at police. One bomber suspect was shot by police and is in custody (conflicting reports as to whether or not he's still alive), and another is still on the loose. I just hope this ends without any more loss of innocent life.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    They are brothers, both Chechnian here for about a year. They are presumed to be a part of a terrorist organization (not completely confirmed yet) that is warring with Russia. The shot brother was run over by his brother first. The shot/run over brother was pronounced dead at the hospital. The remaining brother is still being pursued. There is a 3rd suspect in custody (but no further word on the connection).

Apparently, this terrorist group is known not to give a shit about targeted victims (women, children), to take hostages, are military trained, and can make improvised explosives.

M