Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1370 Talkback: Comic Talk

We open this episode with a salute to Berks County, Pa.'s late, lamented local treasure, artist Dan Adkins. We close it with webcomic artist Jamie Noguchi (Yellow Peril), who joins us to discuss his Kickstarter campaign, and an interview with Mr. Adkins from the CGS Archives. Somewhere in between, we address the official green-lighting of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series; the upcoming DCU/Masters of the Universe crossover; and the latest 'New 52' DC titles to suffer cancellation. (1:37:56)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The family is looking forward to the SHIELD series. My wife and daughter are convinced that Coulson never died in the first place. My son and I are going with the LMD possibility.

The DC/MotU crossover came out of nowhere, seems like this is a push to get the He-Man book more visibility. Giffen has done decent job of writing MotU so far and I'm sure he'll do fine with this. Dexter Soy was the first artist on the the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel book at Marvel and I like his work. Didn't expect the crossover, I don't know why it's happening, but will be on my pull list.

@Murd, thank you for the Monty Python reference there, made my day. Kudos to all the folks putting forth help to keep the Crisis Tapes alive.

Good luck to Jamie Noguchi on the kickstarter.

Mr. Adkins, thank you for your contibution to the comics industry, rest in peace.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2013
    You guys are on top of it - very quick with new episodes. I have listened to other podcasts such as EMP, Tales from the Longbox, Comic Book Insider, War Rocket Ajax, Comics Tribune, iFanboy, and others (which will remain unnamed they were so inane), but you guys are the top shelf comics podcast.

You produce new episodes quickly, there isn't much foolishness, and what silliness that does make it in is warranted. You can tell you guys know your stuff and the episodes are well-produced with good sound quality. It's obvious that you guys have a lot of fun and it doesn't come across that you're prideful or nervous in front of the microphones.

Personally, I enjoy the 'Spotlight On..." episodes and thought the Spider-Man episodes were very fun. I was wondering when the next Spotlight On The X-Men and Spotlight On the Avengers were coming? The last ones focused on the Silver Age in episodes 1339 & 1340 from back in February.

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited May 2013

You guys are on top of it - very quick with new episodes. I have listened to other podcasts such as EMP, Tales from the Longbox, Comic Book Insider, War Rocket Ajax, Comics Tribune, iFanboy, and others (which will remain unnamed they were so inane), but you guys are the top shelf comics podcast.

You produce new episodes quickly, there isn't much foolishness, and what silliness that does make it in is warranted. You can tell you guys know your stuff and the episodes are well-produced with good sound quality. It's obvious that you guys have a lot of fun and it doesn't come across that you're prideful or nervous in front of the microphones.

Personally, I enjoy the 'Spotlight On..." episode and thought the Spider-Man episodes were very fun. I was wondering when the next Spotlight On The X-Men and Spotlight On the Avengers were coming? The last ones focused on the Silver Age in episodes 1339 & 1340 from back in February.

Well since you asked so nicely (flattery goes a long way).

The Spotlight on The Avengers in the Bronze Age Part One was released back at the end of March. Part two has already been recorded along with the X-Men in the Bronze Age. They will be released at
    the end of May/early June when we take some time off from recording due to Memorial Day and traveling to the Denver Comic Con and Heroes Con.
  • Options
    Pants said:

The Spotlight on The Avengers in the Bronze Age Part One was released back at the end of March. Part two has already been recorded along with the X-Men in the Bronze Age. They will be released at the end of May/early June when we take some time off from recording...

I've been looking forward to The Avengers in the Bronze Age part two as well as the X-Men bronze age episode, and then onward into the modern/copper/chromium whatever age spotlights as well.

Might I suggest for your consideration the following for future "Spotlight On..." episodes: Hulk, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Thor, Daredevil, Silver Surfer (or all of the Marvel Cosmic i.e. Killraven, Warlock, Guardians of the Galaxy, et al), and maybe some DC heroes like Superman, Batman, Flash, and others.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you continue to review material that you guys are passionate about and enjoy reading, otherwise it wouldn't be so much fun for us to listen to. Thanks and keep it up guys.
  • Options

Might I suggest for your consideration the following for future "Spotlight On..." episodes: Hulk, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Thor, Daredevil, Silver Surfer (or all of the Marvel Cosmic i.e. Killraven, Warlock, Guardians of the Galaxy, et al), and maybe some DC heroes like Superman, Batman, Flash, and others.

If you haven't already done so, check out the searchable CGS episode archives. We have done spotlights on many of the characters you have mentioned and will certainly cover some of the others in the future.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Captain Carrot! I want Captain Carrot!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    more on MARVEL COSMIC would be very much appreciated 8->
  • Options
    I did listen to episodes #1097 and #1107 - Spotlight on Marvel Comics in the the 80s parts 1 & 2, but I guess I'm at a handicap because my iPhone podcast app only goes back to episode #1082 from May 2011. Maybe it's a two year limitation?

I will catch those others online sometime. It's just become a habit to listen on my phone while cutting the grass or in the car or setting a sleep timer as I am going to bed.

I don't want to hijack this thread talking about old episodes or future episodes. I still need to listen to #1370, so in the meantime, thanks again for the great podcasts @Pants!
  • Options

This, alot of this.

• Options
    Greg said:

This, alot of this.

I 'third' this sentiment...
  • Options
    iTunes seems to be picking these podcasts up slowly -- I haven't seen a new upload since #1367. (I listen to these on my iPad while I'm working.) Anyone else having this delay?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

iTunes seems to be picking these podcasts up slowly -- I haven't seen a new upload since #1367. (I listen to these on my iPad while I'm working.) Anyone else having this delay?

Listened on my ipod touch, early this morning around 6:30ish while on the treadmill.
  • Options

It's been brought to my attention that iTunes hasn't had any new episodes since 1367. I'm not doing anything differently when I put the episode online. I've got an inquiry out to @brydeemer about it since my technical skills are lacking.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I've not had a problem with the iTunes (using from a pc not iphone). I've downloaded all the episodes on the day they've been released. My nose is twitching there is a mystery.
  • Options
  • Options
    My iPhone has the latest episodes. Just got today's a little while ago. This may be something that device specific.
  • Options
    I connect directly with my iPad through it's Podcast app. I checked earlier today and there were no new CGS episodes since the Iron Man 3 review. I'll check again later and see if there's any changes; likely it's a problem on their end. Maybe even a bug in the app needing an update.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    mwhitt80 said:

I've not had a problem with the iTunes (using from a pc not iphone). I've downloaded all the episodes on the day they've been released. My nose is twitching there is a mystery.

:)) @ the nose-twitching part

and to confirm : no delays when using the PC
  • Options
    I have the latest one on my iPhone as well...
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338

Personally, I enjoy the 'Spotlight On..." episode and thought the Spider-Man episodes were very fun. I was wondering when the next Spotlight On The X-Men and Spotlight On the Avengers were coming? The last ones focused on the Silver Age in episodes 1339 & 1340 from back in February.

Hear, hear! I especially second the part about there not being "much foolishness or silliness". You guys do bring the funny, but you aren't in love with your own humor the way some other podcasts are. Though fairly laid back, CGS runs a fairly tight ship, and that is appreciated.

I'm also really looking forward to more of the Spotlight episodes. I cringe at what you'll say about X-Men in the '90s (c'mon, it ain't THAT bad!) but can't wait to hear it!
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Jamie D: you can't throw a Steranko comment out and not tell the story! I need to know. Guy seems like a huge fucking blowhard.