Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel time travel and Age of Ultron - Now with AofU #10 SPOILERS

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2013
    SPOILERS

Since this conversation was already underway, and as the final issue has a lot to do with the place of time travel in the Marvel Univer. . . err. . . Multiverse, I thought I might as well rename and bump this thread rather than start a new one.

So. . . Age of Ultron #10, then. Your thoughts?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I liked it. I think Marvel broke their own rules just a bit when it may not have been necessary to do so. The way the ads were placed towards the end annoyed me but I enjoyed the final issue with a decent fight between Ultron and the Avengers.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Meh

I was all right with it but it left me wanting for something else. The final battle was nothing to write home about. I give it a 3 out of 5.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    When will you silly kids ever learn about Marevl and their events?

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Macbeth (V, v)

ZING! =))
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    All this Marvel Multiverse stuff is confusing. I am now waiting for the Watcher to battle an Anti Watcher to resolve this.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    The black plastic wrapper was a little over the top. Why?
    Were they wanting to shield the little kids from Angela?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hex said:

The black plastic wrapper was a little over the top. Why?
    Were they wanting to shield the little kids from Angela?

Make people think it's special.
  • Options
    And why was Beast reverted back to his pre-cowardly lion mutation?
    I know this storyline deals with time-travel, so maybe that portion was to have taken place in the past? And if so, wouldn't Beast have really really "broken" time when he brought forward the original X-men for the current All New X-men storyline (and both series are written by Bendis!?!)

I enjoyed the battle with Ultron (way to go Hank!), but there wasn't a whole lot of resolution and the entire "event" felt pretty sloppy.

Not digging the idea of bleeding the Ultimate universe with the 616, but it is starting to happen more and more, so I guess it is inevitable.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hex said:

And why was Beast reverted back to his pre-cowardly lion mutation?
    I know this storyline deals with time-travel, so maybe that portion was to have taken place in the past? And if so, wouldn't Beast have really really "broken" time when he brought forward the original X-men for the current All New X-men storyline (and both series are written by Bendis!?!)

I enjoyed the battle with Ultron (way to go Hank!), but there wasn't a whole lot of resolution and the entire "event" felt pretty sloppy.

Not digging the idea of bleeding the Ultimate universe with the 616, but it is starting to happen more and more, so I guess it is inevitable.

I think the answer to Beast's look is the same as why Carol Danvers still had her Ms. Marvel look rather than her current incarnation-- I think Hitch's art, at least those pages, got done a long time ago.

I feel like part of the strange timing of this event (spring to early summer, in the same summer that there is another event) as well as the odd pacing and mix of artists in the final issue is due to some behind the scenes delays and probably reorganizing/ restructuring of the whole story. You know, the sort of thing no one will ever talk turkey about in public.

My theory is that Age of Ultron was supposed to be going on right before Marvel Now! launched. Not to actually reboot anything, but rather to hook people in with the idea that maybe Marvel WAS about to reboot. And that this would be their Flashpoint to get there.

But I am guessing those Hitch issues took a lot longer to get done than they hoped. And so we got it at this odd time. A time where there are concurrently two or more other time travel stories going on, and Marvel Now! is already underway.

I give them credit for waiting to get the Hitch issues in the can. I believe all of Age of Ultron shipped on time (or, if late, only late by a week or something, never by a month). So I will give them that. But I think the timing of this only added to the lackluster feel the whole thing had.

This could have been an incredible two or three issues of Avengers. A sort of "Days of Future Past" for Avengers, IN Avengers, just as DofFP happened in issues of Uncanny. But, I guess that is just not how it goes anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    David_D is correct, AoU was written a few years ago and was planned for a much sooner release, but was put on hold due to both Fear Itself and AvX.

I also remember an interview with Bendis saying that Hitch had all or at least most of the art done.

I'm willing to bet what we got was not part of Bendis' original story.
  • Options
    @David_D
    That sounds about right. I like your theory. Age of Ultron would have been a great kick off to the whole Marvel Now.
    Still... Beast hasn't had that look in close to tens years! Just plain sloppy on the editorial department not to catch such a glaring error on Hitch's part.

And one hundred bucks says we haven't seen the last of duplicate Wolverine kicking around. That would be a good reason "time got bust" during this time travel story more than any in the past (and make sense how Logan can appear in so many titles at once).

Also forgot to mention that I really enjoyed how Ultron's petulant teenage temper tantrum got cut short during the climax of the issue. Poor Ultron... if only he had some fatherly love, things might have turned out different.
  • Options
    RicsplodeRicsplode Posts: 2
    We definitely have an alternate Wolverine and Sue running around. they are from further ahead in the future than our version in current 616.

Maybe they will show up in infinity and close the loop.

• Options
    RicsplodeRicsplode Posts: 2
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but...did anyone else actually enjoy the Morgana-verse?

• Options
    Ricsplode said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but...did anyone else actually enjoy the Morgana-verse?

Yes, and it seemed like they going to tell some of that story after the Fearless Defenders tie-in, but I don't think was there anything after that.