Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Murd's Time Bubble Talkback: The Twentieth Time

The Time Bubble is running on Mountain Time, as Murd, just returned from the Denver Comic Con, reminisces about a batch of comics he bought during his last trip to Colorado, twelve years ago! Featured are the last pre-Straczynski Spider-Man story; a few classic Bronze Age Superman tales; and some high and low points of cosmic superheroics, '90s style! (2:25:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Adam, don't EVER apologize for the episodes "running long"! We wait months for them and enjoy every second!

As usual, the selection of spotlighted issues was great this Time around. I had read none of them, and yet I was thoroughly edutained.

My only complaints are petty:

-No Tammy the Cat??? You teased us with this guest-star and then promptly wrote her out of the series! Hopefully she'll be around for the Twenty-First Time. If not, if I were her, I'd think of going solo. Or maybe Jamie's Essentials would appreciate Tammy's services more.

-Toward the end, when you began to tell us that a musical ending song was imminent, I began to assume that YOU were going to sing it! The song you played for us was nice, and appropriate, but perhaps by the Thirtieth Time you will have your own rendition (or even an original composition) to sing for us yourself?

;-) Great stuff as always!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Murd I have to disagree with you about the last issue of Geeksville. It was very different than the 3 Geeks comics, but I thought it was more hopeful than bleak. I mean all the geeks ended up in a great place (even Jim). They were still friends even after time and life had separated them. They wouldn't have changed their lives if they could. I found it moved from bleak (Jim's death and separation) to hopeful.

I did find that the last issue came out of left field though, and when you look at the 18ish issues of 3 Geeks/Geeksville it doesn't really fit. However I thought for a final issue it was a fitting close to their friendship. Also I just read The King this week wow that was good.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Another engaging solo podcast from @Adam_Murdough - between these and the occasional Spotlight podcasts, the very reason I began downloading CSG podcasts is satified. I have missed @JamieD's Essentials though... any chance they'll be coming back? While boycotting the Big2 you could delve into more of the back issue type of podcasts again.
  • Options
    jmpenickjmpenick Posts: 10
    Make Mine Murd! 20th edition of easy listening pure joy...ahhhh....
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Another engaging solo podcast from @Adam_Murdough - between these and the occasional Spotlight podcasts, the very reason I began downloading CSG podcasts is satified. I have missed @JamieD's Essentials though... any chance they'll be coming back? While boycotting the Big2 you could delve into more of the back issue type of podcasts again.

I have said I will do it soon I just have to get my ass reading FF and I will be there, I promise
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JamieD said:

I have said I will do it soon I just have to get my ass reading FF and I will be there, I promise

An essentials Fantastic Four podcast would be a great substitute for any future Age of Ultron-type podcasts... ugh. Assuming you meant the World's Greatest Comic as opposed to the Matt Fraction FF. Perhaps between your treatments and your big2boycott, you'll be able find the time to catch up on your reading buddy. I hope so :)

Thanks again for these podcasts guys.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Murd, I enjoyed the podcast. I don't think that you ramble too much on your episodes. I like hearing you talk about the comics that you're going through.

And it was fun to hear you talk about the Quasar issues in this episode. BI loved that Barry Allen made a secret appearance in those issues. I'll have to search the back issue bins to find these. I would like to have them in my collection.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Woohoo! More Time Bubble! @Adam_Murdough

The Mary Jane plane crash. Ahhhh, the 90's. I feel as if MJ was "dead" for exactly 83 seconds. Cuz she was!

I had also completely forgotten that Charlie Adlard ever did art for Peter Parker: Spider-Man. Mind it, it was this one issue, but his art has become so synonymous with The Walking Dead that you forget there was ever anything else. Heck, he even did a fill-in issue of Chase back in the day!

I was a big fan of Paul Jenkins' Spider-Man, both Peter Parker and Spectacular. He had quite the grasp on Peter Parker the man, and the "Return of the Green Goblin" arc he did with Humberto Ramos is still one of my favorite arcs of all time.

Also, am I the only one who always wanted a villain named "The Hanging Chad?"
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2013
    @Adam_Murdough

Sorry to hear it took you so long to find Quasar #17. I bought the entire series off eBay for $16. It might be cheating by not going through long boxes..I don't know. Anyways, the race is my favorite story in this excellent series. Like you say this was pure comics fun. The introduction of "Buried Alien" is just icing on the cake.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Looking Forward to this one Adam!!!! I'm a bit slow...but this will indeed be a nice summer burn one evening this week:)
  • Options
    DougLDougL Posts: 3
    I just discovered the Time bubble and couldn't be more delighted for doing so. I'm currently going back in time to the first time to listen from the beginning. Can't wait for the next one. Perhaps some Starlin cosmic will be discussed? A fellow can only hope.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    DougL said:

I just discovered the Time bubble and couldn't be more delighted for doing so. I'm currently going back in time to the first time to listen from the beginning. Can't wait for the next one. Perhaps some Starlin cosmic will be discussed? A fellow can only hope.

I am in a similar place as you, but further along in time so to speak. While I would love to say that you're expectations have been met in the Time bubble, no cosmic discussions have taken place ...yet. I too want to hear @Adam_Murdough discuss Marvel cosmic, but I'm on the 9th time myself and there's been very little of that... so far.

I'm hoping they simply relent and do a two-part Spotlight episode on all things Marvel Cosmic - beginning with FF, Galactus and the SSurfer all the way through Thanos and the newest Guardians of the Galaxy, while squeezing the Collector, the Celestials, Eternity, and everything else in between... it would be an epic undertaking, so I don't want to rush or overwhelm the CGS crew.

I'm just thankful they take the time to even record these podcasts, so God bless 'em!
  • Options
    The only reason you should limit the time, Murd, is if doing so would decrease the time between episodes. Three two-hour Time Bubbles in one month versus one four-hour Time Bubble would rock, but then you wouldn't have as much time to read all of your back issues, making the entire point moot. In much simpler terms, the current length is great! You could add time and the quality would only go up!
    Alternately, you could send all your podcast listeners into another Time Bubble at near the speed of light, then bring us back, meaning the relative time for the listeners was much shorter than the time you stayed on Earth. Thus, more time for you means more episodes for us, but in our time shortened Bubble by comparison, we'd have more episodes in a shorter time. Relativity rules!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    JamieD said:

@JamieD

Can you PLEASE finish Legends miniseries first?

A really REALLY patient comic geek,
    Matthew
  • Options
    Now finishing the 18th time, and it just occurred to me that a Marvel Cosmic discussion would take more than one episode at least. With everything from Killraven to the FF to Silver Surfer to Thanos, the Collector, etc. Heck even ROM: Spaceknight, where it could be argued that a lack of source material led Bill Mantlo to create a whole cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe with Rick Jones (along with connections to the Invaders, plus the Hulk, the Thing, Shang Chi, Power Man and Iron Fist thrown in for good measure). Marvel Cosmic would be a discussion of epic proportions.

If anyone on the CGS team is capable though @Adam_Murdough is the man to do it. He's like the Les Daniels of Comic Geek Speak.

One more idea. Since some episodes of the Time Bubble have gone over 2 hours, how about just doing two one hour episodes and release them 6 weeks apart?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Yeoman's work trying to explain that Spider-Man story, @Adam_Murdough. That sounds... wow, just all kinds of terrible. I'm impressed you had the fortitude to just read the thing, much less explain it in a way that made some sort of sense.

And yes, what I've read of the rest of Jenkins's Spider-Man output was much better than that, particularly Peter Parker: Spider-Man #33, "Maybe Next Year..." which is not only my favorite Spider-Man story ever (despite a noticeable lack of Spider-Man), but maybe my favorite single issue ever (it's in the running, anyway). It's about dads and baseball and it came out at a time when my own baseball-loving dad was fighting cancer and it didn't look good (though he thankfully rallied back and kicked its ass), so it hit all the right buttons. If you have that sitting in the pile somewhere, I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying the Time Bubble very much. It was also a pleasure to finally meet Murd at the Shop in Stone Harbor last week. Keep up the great work as I look forward to the 100th time!
  • Options
    JDick said:

Murd...any updates on the crisis tapes?

ditto
  • Options
    Greetings Murd! (& other Time Bubble passengers)...

I am excited because - after a near eternity of listening to all of your podcasts from the First Time onward - I finally have caught up! YES!! It happened yesterday, on the 101 Freeway here in Los Angeles, which isn't surprising in that most of my podcast listening happens either in my car or at the gym. So there I was, driving along, when the Twentieth Time came to its Laupery close... and it dawned on me: these Time Bubbles are now at a premium for me. I cannot just launch a new one whenever I desperately need to hear the dulcet tones of Adam Murdough (who, for the record, sounds just as dulcet whether he is in the studio or his kitchen). Which is all my way of saying that I pray that not too much *time* passes between new podcasts; I just love these Time Bubbles too much to go long without my next fix. Matter of fact, I think my hand is shaking as I type this!

As for my next topic - our host's fear that his Time Bubbles go on too long - Murd, allow me to assure you - extended length is no problem at all! Especially since you can't put these things out every day or week? The more Murd, the merrier. Please wax on with your nuggets of nostalgia for two, three, four hours at a time, if you wish. If there truly is a listener somewhere who'd prefer that you not, then perhaps he or she should be listening to Furd's Space Bubble instead because I cannot imagine a true fan of yours wanting less *time* with you.

Lastly, atop my general gratitude and praise for you, I wanted to give you specific thanks for a couple of comic book works toward which your Time Bubbles recently led me. The first is Gaiman's Superman/Green Lantern "The Legend of the Green Flame," a comic which I already owned but for some reason had never read. Hearing you discuss it so lovingly prompted me to pluck it from my own stacks (i.e. the 24 short boxes which make up what's left of my collection) and reading it provided me with a grand old time, indeed. The second comic is Garth Ennis' two-part Enemy Ace "War In Heaven" story, which I did not own, but I was able to grab it off eBay (for under five bucks!) and it just arrived and I can't wait to dig in.

So this is me, sighing in contentment. After years of climbing, I have reached the top of the Time Bubble mountain - and the view is splendid! I look forward to your Twenty-first Time giving me even more and greater perspectives on the world of comic books which we all love so much. And again, Murd, I offer my sincere thanks for so many hours of listening pleasure. Until next *time,*

BionicDave