Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The first random information post in the random thread in this random version of the forums was done by the not random at all @WetRats from July 2013. His voice has randomly been missing from the forums for a while.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I talk to Stewart on Facebook now and then, but I'm hardly ever on Facebook these days.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The YouTube Channel Defunctland just did a great two-part video on the history of EuroDisney & the park's Jules Verne inspired Space Mountain ride.

Part 1:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SFE8RlKlLCE

Part 2:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wqV070b25GA
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

The YouTube Channel Defunctland just did a great two-part video on the history of EuroDisney & the park's Jules Verne inspired Space Mountain ride.

I watched a great documentary on Ric Flair and his Marriott inspired Space Mountain ride :)
    mwhitt80 said:

I watched a great documentary on Ric Flair and his Marriott inspired Space Mountain ride :)
    Whooo!
    You gotta tell us, is it as great as the podcasts tell us?
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

You gotta tell us, is it as great as the podcasts tell us?

It's fine, my last mattress was hanging on by a few strands. So, I really needed a new one.
    Started rewatching the Real Adventures of Jonny Quest.
    I'm a Scooby-Doo guy with my daughter, but in my heart, I ride for Quest (even the new adventures from the 80s)
    I love Sam kieth

Fox is getting smackdown for 1 billion over 5 years.

ESPN got the rights to the UFC 1.5 billion over 5 years. I guess this going to be an app item like boxing.
    edited May 2018
    Time

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

NBA Draft lotto is tonight.

I became a night in night out Hawks fan in 1999 which is why I despise the practice of tanking. Watching a bad team for multiple seasons be sucks. I promise watching a good team (that doesn't have championship talent) is much better.

Which brings me back to my first point. I really hope Atlanta wins the lotto and RIP coach bud I hope you land on a good team.

Hawks got pick #3
    The only #3 I'm worried about tonight is Game #3 of the Caps/Bolts series.
    As a hockey guy, how do you like the idea of Vegas/Caps finals? I'm provegas winning it all, but I wouldn't mind if Ovie got it. (Yes, I know Tampa is alive).
    I would love for Tampa/Vegas based on a climate irony. I'm not sure it has ever reached freezing temperatures in either city.
    edited May 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Time

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

I became a night in night out Hawks fan in 1999 which is why I despise the practice of tanking. Watching a bad team for multiple seasons be sucks. I promise watching a good team (that doesn't have championship talent) is much better.

Which brings me back to my first point. I really hope Atlanta wins the lotto and RIP coach bud I hope you land on a good team.

Hawks got pick #3
    As a hockey guy, how do you like the idea of Vegas/Caps finals? I'm provegas winning it all, but I wouldn't mind if Ovie got it. (Yes, I know Tampa is alive).
    I would love for Tampa/Vegas based on a climate irony. I'm not sure it has ever reached freezing temperatures in either city.
    Being as I am a Caps fan, I like the idea of a Caps/anybody finals.

The thing that gets me about Vegas is everybody is so shocked they in this position. Yeah, they overachieved a bit, but they have guys with Stanley Cup rings on their team. It’s not like they’re a bunch of rookies. Maybe it’s a surprise they made it to the finals, but it didn’t surprise me they made the playoffs, and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen—that’s the beauty of the NHL over other sports leagues.

When the Caps came into the league, the expansion draft got them a bunch of warm bodies who knew how to lace up their skates, and that’s about it. It took years of them sucking and getting good draft picks before they were able to become even respectable. The NHL handed Vegas a team that could win. Other teams were making deals with them to keep them from drafting players they couldn’t afford to lose. You can’t compare Vegas to expansion teams of yore.
    edited May 2018

mwhitt80 said:

Time

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Hawks got pick #3

The thing that gets me about Vegas is everybody is so shocked they in this position. Yeah, they overachieved a bit, but they have guys with Stanley Cup rings on their team. It’s not like they’re a bunch of rookies. Maybe it’s a surprise they made it to the finals, but it didn’t surprise me they made the playoffs, and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen—that’s the beauty of the NHL over other sports leagues.

When the Caps came into the league, the expansion draft got them a bunch of warm bodies who knew how to lace up their skates, and that’s about it. It took years of them sucking and getting good draft picks before they were able to become even respectable. The NHL handed Vegas a team that could win. Other teams were making deals with them to keep them from drafting players they couldn’t afford to lose. You can’t compare Vegas to expansion teams of yore.
    I get that feeling, but I remember reading the hockey heads knowing Vegas screwed up the draft. Going into the season everybody predicted they would be bad

They picked the unprotected guys they thought were the best. It's the same rules as 2000 only with more protected players. Don't hate them for for nhl GM's being bad at their job.
    Just know I really want a vegas/Washington finals. Ovie is great and I want him to get a legitimate shot at the title. I've not decided on who I want to win yet, but I want the caps to be there.
    edited May 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Time

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Hawks got pick #3

I get that feeling, but I remember reading the hockey heads knowing Vegas screwed up the draft. Going into the season everybody predicted they would be bad

They picked the unprotected guys they thought were the best. It's the same rules as 2000 only with more protected players. Don't hate them for for nhl GM's being bad at their job.
    In 2000 the Capitals lost two guys you’ve never heard of. Last year the Caps lost Nate Schmidt, who was arguably their best defenseman in the playoffs last year, and who now runs Vegas’ power play.

But I don’t hate Vegas, I just don’t think their accomplishments are quite as impressive as everyone is making them out to be. I know what the wonks were saying, but I predicted they would make the playoffs. Their GM, McPhee, was the Capitals’ last GM, and he did a great job building the core of the team they have today, but got fired in 2014 for losing in the second round one too many times. Apart from a couple of bad coaching hires in Washington, the guy has been really good at his job. And the scary part is how many draft picks they have in hand.
    mwhitt80 said:

Just know I really want a vegas/Washington finals. Ovie is great and I want him to get a legitimate shot at the title. I've not decided on who I want to win yet, but I want the caps to be there.

Ovi has been a beast the whole playoffs. He’s only had one mediocre game. After having to play hurt last season, he’s been on a mission this year.
    mwhitt80 said:

It's the same rules as 2000 only with more protected players.

Slightly different rules. 2000: Teams could protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. 2017: Teams could protect either protect one goaltender, three defensemen, and seven forwards, or one goaltender and eight skaters regardless of position. Either way, teams were able to protect more of their players in 2000. Also, there were two expansion teams going back and forth over those unprotected players in 2000, so one of those teams wasn’t even necessarily going to get the best available player from half the teams.
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

Sooooo.. the game I worked on... Star Trek Bridge Crew is releasing a DLC for....

Star Trek the Next Generation!
    It'll be out on May 22!

Like original Bridge Crew, it's playable cross-platform (PC/PS4) with or without VR headsets.

P.S. I modeled and textured the Enterprise D, along with several other ships. Yeah... my job is awesome.

Kotaku likes the expansion a lot. The headline reads: "We just got a good StarTrek TNG game". Good job @Tonebone
    Caps.
    Knights.
    Lord Stanley's cup.

Now I have to decide who to root for. I'm thinking going in with the knights because we have a real caps fan already.

Decisions decisions....
    edited May 2018
    Things that need to be done as a comic

The US Camel Corps - before the civil war broke out the us government bought 800 camels and two drivers (those 2 guys were probably leased) from Egypt and for a short time there was US Camel Corps . The corps was ended due mule lobbiest and the civil war. After the camel corps disbanded the camels were sold at auction, captured by the Confederate armies, or escaped. The camels ended up all over the southwest. I just learned this was a real thing today.

There needs to be a western (probably European) with the camel corps or at least featuring a cowboy that rides a camel. Moebius or Doug wildey would have been perfect for this, but alas. I would even love it in a lucky Luke
    edited May 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Things that need to be done as a comic

The US Camel Corps - before the civil war broke out the us government bought 800 camels and two drivers (those 2 guys were probably leased) from Egypt and for a short time there was US Camel Corps . The corps was ended due mule lobbiest and the civil war. After the camel corps disbanded the camels were sold at auction, captured by the Confederate armies, or escaped. The camels ended up all over the southwest. I just learned this was a real thing today.

There needs to be a western (probably European) with the camel corps or at least featuring a cowboy that rides a camel. Moebius or Doug wildey would have been perfect for this, but alas. I would even love it in a lucky Luke

I agree, but it’s been done.

edited May 2018
    One of the NPR shows did a story on the Camel Corps. Or more specifically on these ghost sightings out in the desert, which turned out to be a dead soldier still in the saddle of his camel. Don’t remember the show, but this podcast talks about it.

[EDIT: Come to think of it, it might have been this podcast where I first heard the story.]
    I was a little surprised that I couldn't find a lucky Luke volume based on the camel corps.

Do you have any idea who the artist was on true animal picture stories?
    mwhitt80 said:

I was a little surprised that I couldn't find a lucky Luke volume based on the camel corps.

Do you have any idea who the artist was on true animal picture stories?

Nope, and it’s not on the Digital Comics Museum site either, so I can’t even try to ID it. It’s just a little three-page non-fiction story. Cover art is nice though.
    mwhitt80 said:
    Fine. Are you happy now?
    Very. Time to get ranking.
    edited May 2018
    I made a version of these tomato and basil eggs this morning. They were really good and super easy to make.

Here are a few mental notes and changes I made.
    1) cook everything at a lower temperature than suggested. The onions starts to burn before the tomatoes are done. I had to pull my tomatoes early and the pan was too hot and scorched my eggs.

2) you need to add a little salt and pepper to the eggs before you cook them.

3) never use water when you have milk. If you are making scrambled eggs or omelettes try mixing in a little milk before you you get them cooking. It really adds some fluffiness
  • I didn't
    mwhitt80 said:

Tonebone said:

Sooooo.. the game I worked on... Star Trek Bridge Crew is releasing a DLC for....

Star Trek the Next Generation!
    It'll be out on May 22!

Like original Bridge Crew, it's playable cross-platform (PC/PS4) with or without VR headsets.

P.S. I modeled and textured the Enterprise D, along with several other ships. Yeah... my job is awesome.

Kotaku likes the expansion a lot. The headline reads: "We just got a good StarTrek TNG game". Good job @Tonebone
    Thanks! We are very proud of the end product. When we released the original game, the number one request was TNG. We were all thrilled to get a chance to do it, since, for most of us, it was "our" Star Trek.