Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1395 Talkback: Previews

Time again for Previews! Chris Eberle from Wild Pig Comics joins us in studio to go through the July catalog for items shipping to stores in September. (1:19:27)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    If you're not already getting Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover's Bandette digitally, or even if you are, be sure to check out the hardcover from Dark Horse this month. It's a fun, BeDe-inspired book about a Parisian cat burglar who steals for the common good. Or to fill her own wallet. Or just because it's fun. Fun story, great characters, simple-yet-brilliant design, and world all its own, the sort of Paris that can only exist in a comic book. Probably my favorite comic going right now in any format (yes, @Pants, I think it's even better than Hawkeye), and I don't offer that praise lightly.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited July 2013
    Preach on Jamie D & George Perez!

I'm skipping the DC point month w/ the Dark Knight over Metropolis tpb & Fairest HC excluded. The extra money saved is going to a Hellboy Library Volume so DC's loss is Dark Horse's gain.

Matthew
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

If you're not already getting Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover's Bandette digitally, or even if you are, be sure to check out the hardcover from Dark Horse this month. It's a fun, BeDe-inspired book about a Parisian cat burglar who steals for the common good. Or to fill her own wallet. Or just because it's fun. Fun story, great characters, simple-yet-brilliant design, and world all its own, the sort of Paris that can only exist in a comic book. Probably my favorite comic going right now in any format (yes, @Pants, I think it's even better than Hawkeye), and I don't offer that praise lightly.

I put in my order for Bandette today. I’ve enjoyed Tobin and Coover’s work in the past, and I happened to see the first issue available for free on Comixology. If the rest is as good as the first issue, I’ll be extremely happy.

There are a lot of interesting books this month. I also ordered The Fifth Beatle, the Fairest OGN, Farel Dalrymple’s Delusional art book, Gene Yang’s Boxers & Saints boxed set (I’m a sucker for Chinese history), Fortunately the Milk (Q: How can you pass up Neil Gaiman and Scottie Young? A: You can’t!), and Greg Ruth’s The Lost Boy—and there were three or four other books I put on my wish list because I just can’t afford them all.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I saw the dc solicits for nxt month. We will be seeing The Forever Evil Omnibus then
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
    I have never been more disappointed by DC's offering... I only got Batman (Joker cover) and even that hurt a little.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    fredzilla said:

I have never been more disappointed by DC's offering... I only got Batman (Joker cover) and even that hurt a little.

Next month may be worse. I buy all trades and after looking at the just released solicits, with the DCBS discount, it looks like DC may be getting $15 bucks from me.

This of course means that Marvel is about to solicit 3 or 4 must have Omnibus editions.

:-??
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I might not be ready to sign up for Jamie D's revolution post AoU but I couldn't agree with him more about DC's "Evil" month. September is the month I drop monthly DC books cold turkey. Thank you DC..your attempt to rape my wallet has pushed me towards books from other companies.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'm currently getting ALL of the Monkeybrain books (digital)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I might not be ready to sign up for Jamie D's revolution post AoU but I couldn't agree with him more about DC's "Evil" month. September is the month I drop monthly DC books cold turkey. Thank you DC..your attempt to rape my wallet has pushed me towards books from other companies.

I pretty much agree with that. I'm still getting a handful, such as Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest and a couple of the newer titles like The Movement and Green Team, but I'm dropping the majority of the New52 titles. Forever Evil makes a wonderful jumping off point. (Forever Gimmick?)

I am, however, still getting the 'digital first' books and a couple of the Vertigo titles.

You know, I keep thinking that I might have bought Forever Evil #1 with the 3-D cover if it was the only such entry in the solicitations, and if the series wasn't spreading out throughout the entire line. But this event makes both my head and wallet explode. No way I'm even going to bother following this. Congratulations, DC, on making it easier for me to drop your titles from my buy list. You'd almost think that this was planned.
  • Options
    I'm slowly making my way through this episode and I was happy to hear Jamie D point out Farlaine the Goblin #1. This book caught my eye the first time I flipped through this month's Previews. The comparison to Bone is unavoidable and hopefully the story will live up to the great art we see in the ad.
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    I think I'll be joining some of you in skipping Villains month. Maybe that money will go to some comic book Beatles instead.

Also, the Geeks mentioned the slow release for the City of Owls TPB. Marvel has been frustrating me for several months now by not releasing TPB of the first arc of All New X-Men, Thor: GoT, Captain America, and Avengers. All of them are Marvel Now books that I missed when they first came out (I chose to jump on other titles, like Deadpool, instead. Mistakes were made...) and I've been trying to wait patiently for the trade ever since. I know there are hardcovers, but I'd rather spend less (and take up less shelf room) with the TPBs...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The fact that Jeff Parker is writing Kings Watch earns it a look, but will it have a theme song with lyrics by Stan Lee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLKzsynt5I

Because, obviously, it should!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    A few gems hidden away amongst the solicitations that shouldn't be overlooked:

Batman Black And White #1 -- first of six issues, black and white stories by several ace artists, such as Neal Adams and Joe Quinones.

Deadshot Beginnings -- trade collection of the Deadshot mini-series by John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell, plus his first modern age appearance by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story -- Now in softcover, if you missed the hardcover.

Cerebus - Low Society One Shot -- by Rob Walton, Dave Sim and Gerhard. I have absolutely no idea -- but it's Cerebus.

Archie #648, Walt Simonson variant cover -- Archie as the God Of Thunder. I'd get this just for the cover.

Simpsons: Treehouse Of Horror #19 -- This year, with art by Daniel Brereton.

Jeff Smith's Bone: The Great Cow Race Artist's Edition HC -- The title pretty much describes the book.

Wallace & Gromit Newspaper Strips HC vol 1 -- I'd had no idea.

Law Of Superheroes SC -- What are the hypothetical legal repercussions of superheroing in the real world?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I am already looking forward to seeing the sales figures for Villian's Month. If the collector mentality wins out, DC could possibly have one of the best months in Diamond history (that will only last one month) or if good judgement prevails, the crash and burn will be spectacular.

Villian's month may be what finally causes John Mayo's brain to short circuit trying to track it all.
  • Options

A few gems hidden away amongst the solicitations that shouldn't be overlooked:

Batman Black And White #1 -- first of six issues, black and white stories by several ace artists, such as Neal Adams and Joe Quinones.

Deadshot Beginnings -- trade collection of the Deadshot mini-series by John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell, plus his first modern age appearance by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story -- Now in softcover, if you missed the hardcover.

Cerebus - Low Society One Shot -- by Rob Walton, Dave Sim and Gerhard. I have absolutely no idea -- but it's Cerebus.

Archie #648, Walt Simonson variant cover -- Archie as the God Of Thunder. I'd get this just for the cover.

Simpsons: Treehouse Of Horror #19 -- This year, with art by Daniel Brereton.

Jeff Smith's Bone: The Great Cow Race Artist's Edition HC -- The title pretty much describes the book.

Wallace & Gromit Newspaper Strips HC vol 1 -- I'd had no idea.

Law Of Superheroes SC -- What are the hypothetical legal repercussions of superheroing in the real world?

I'll be getting the Batman: Black & White once it’s collected, since I have the first two volumes in hardcover. I think I read somewhere that Alex Niño is doing a story, which would please me to no end.

I always get the Treehouse of Horror issues. They’re typically the only Bongo comics I pick up.

I can’t afford any of the Artist’s Editions, otherwise I’d be all over this one.

The Wallace & Gromit collection is one I considered, but I’ll have to put that one off for now.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I went to a book signing for Neil Gaiman Wednesday and he read an excerpt from Fortunately the Milk. If you like his stuff this is something to get it's ridiculously funny. It's definitely going on my order.

......also I got to meat Neil Gaiman ^:)^
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Lazarus? Is that what that Rucka book is called Chris? He's one of my fave writers and you sounded pretty enthused about that book:) Is it only one ish in? I may need to check it out:) Who was the artist again? Thx. Great show guys:) And Jamie...I'm kind of soured on the big 2 lately as well (not feeling Trinity so far - ish 22 of JL- wasn't impressed by Age of U) ....Very happy to hear the Perez comments at the top of the show...made me smile:)
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Image is my "goto" these days:)
  • Options
    mbatz said:

Lazarus? Is that what that Rucka book is called Chris? He's one of my fave writers and you sounded pretty enthused about that book:) Is it only one ish in? I may need to check it out:) Who was the artist again? Thx. Great show guys:) And Jamie...I'm kind of soured on the big 2 lately as well (not feeling Trinity so far - ish 22 of JL- wasn't impressed by Age of U) ....Very happy to hear the Perez comments at the top of the show...made me smile:)

The Lazarus art is by Michael Lark. I haven't read it yet, but the art is fantastic.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

I... don't think that word means what you think it means...
  • Options

Krescan said:

damn damn damn

.......also I got two meat Neil Gaiman

better?

I'd like to say it wasn't a Freudian slip but really you all have heard his voice right, it's like butter.....only sexy

sexy butter

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Krescan said:

Krescan said:

damn damn damn

better?

I'd like to say it wasn't a Freudian slip but really you all have heard his voice right, it's like butter.....only sexy

sexy butter

try MEET Neil Gaiman.....just saying ;)
  • Options
    JamieD said:

Krescan said:

Krescan said:

damn damn damn

better?

sexy butter

try MEET Neil Gaiman.....just saying ;)
    you weren't there you don't know what we shared!

:x
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Final DCBS order:

MARVEL

ALL NEW X-MEN #16
    AVENGERS #19
    AVENGERS #20
    DAREDEVIL #31
    FANTASTIC FOUR #12
    FF #12
    GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #7
    HAWKEYE #15
    HUNGER #3 (OF 4)
    INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #13
    INFINITY #2 (OF 6)
    INFINITY #3 (OF 6)
    INFINITY HUNT #1 (OF 4)
    NEW AVENGERS #10
    NOVA #8
    SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #3
    SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17
    SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #18
    UNCANNY X-MEN #12
    WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #36
    X-MEN #5
    X-MEN BATTLE OF ATOM #1

Dark Horse

BRAIN BOY #1
    STAR WARS #1 (OF 8)

MANHATTAN PROJECTS #17
    RAT QUEENS #1
    REALITY CHECK #1
    SAGA #14

IDW

THUNDER AGENTS #2

Other

FARLAINE THE GOBLIN #1

PREVIEWS #300
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited July 2013
    I was going through my order on the DCBS spreadsheet & man DC keeps getting whittled away.
    DC
    Earth 2 tpb
    Lucifer vol. 2 tpb

Marvel is pretty dollar intensive
    John Byrne Omnibus vol 2.
    Nick vs. Shield tpb

Daredevil & Indestructible Hulk)

Onto the good stuff
    Darkhorse has been knocking it out of the park with Omnibuses of comics I've wanted to read for years (Nexus, Grendel, and Lone Wolf & Cub); this month I get Lone Wolf & Cub Omnibus vol. 3 for 50% off

Other
    Low Society
    Mouse Guard Legends #2
    Cowboy vol 2 - is anyone else a little disappointed that this isn't a hardcover
    Adventure Time & Candy Capers
    Boxers & Saints - I'm really excited about this book; I loved American Born Chinese and these two should be great.
    Knights of the Dinner Table #203 - always top of the stack for me.
  • Options
    mbatz said:
    No problem, @mbatz. And I finally read it a couple of days ago. It's quite good. A little more sci-fi than the typical Rucka, but in a hard sci-fi, not-too-far-distant-future kind of way, so it still feels like what you'd expect from Rucka.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    LOL! That was funny: Chris taking his turn at saying the episode introduction and Pants laughing! DC: I wish I could be like Jamie and totally boycott Villain's month, but I will DEFINITELY buy less, maybe half-a-dozen as Shane said. In this case, I'll probably look at what I usually buy, then choose individual issues based on who is writing or drawing. MarveL: Hmm, as I wrote after the Jamie-rant, I'll stop getting Infinity and go with Battle of the Atom. I sort of feel like I'm getting used either way, but I find the X-Men more interesting now. Zombified Archies? Hmm....I'm not sure I'm so interested in that, guys, but I'll play along...