Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1396 Talkback: Spotlight on The Avengers in the Copper Age

Our fiftieth-anniversary Avengers retrospective marches on into the Eighties, with honorary Geek grand-marshal Chris Eberle at the head of the parade. Listen and learn how the Avengers cope with the disgrace and betrayal of founding member Hank Pym; emotional fallout from Avengers #200; new friends and foes stemming from the twisted family heritage of Thanos; the Vision gone haywire; the royal rivalry of Namor and Hercules; and a fateful appearance on Late Night with David Letterman! Plus, the foundation of the West Coast Avengers, and an extended recap of one of the greatest Avengers stories (and THE greatest Masters of Evil story) ever told: 'Under Siege'! (1:56:33)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Listening the episode, I immediately thought of my favorite finishing move from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 when you guys brought up the cover to Avengers 223:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBVhFbI0cNI
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited July 2013
    On Jarvis:
    The last place I remember seeing him is at the end of Secret Invasion stealing Luke Cage's baby. But that was Skrull Jarvis, so I'm not sure where real Jarvis was. My hope is he's in England hitting up nannies and servant girls.
    I could a write a two issue mini starring Jarvis getting his StoneCold-Butler-Pimp thing on in England living off his Avenger/Stark money. To bring it back to this episode I would even have him wearing an eye-patch (it works for Fury).
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    A few notes from my end:

If I'm not mistaken, Bill Mantlo and Gene Colan were actually assigned as the regular ongoing team on the book near the beginning of this period, but this was squashed almost immediately by some dissatisfaction on Shooter's part. Mantlo had already been tying some story elements into Iron Man having to do with the Maria Stark Foundation and the robot in the basement known as Arsenal. Shooter took the book and shook it up with the roster change that introduced Tigra to the team. He was also having problems with Colan's unique style of storytelling and had been trying to get him to conform to more standard modes of panel grids (among other things); this was one of the tensions that eventually led to Colan's defection to DC. (I might be a shade off on some details; I'm running on half-remembered details I'd read years ago.)

The first married superheroes of the Silver Age were not Aquaman and Mera, but Hawkman and Hawkgirl who were already married when they first came to Earth from Thanagar. Aquaman married Mera after a whirlwind romance sometime shortly after, however -- and they, in turned, were soon followed into matrimonial bliss by Mento and Elasti Girl from the Doom Patrol. (And, of course, the Richards were somewhere in that period as well.)

The Molecule Man was one of those interesting one-shot villains that peppered the pages of the Fantastic Four during its early years, and was quickly forgotten and not seen again for years. He was initially brought back from obscurity by Len Wein and Steve Gerber in the team-up books, initially as an escapee from the Watcher's prison, and then, later, as his own son! And then back into obscurity until Shooter brought him back and breathed new life into the character.

The Eraser, who made further appearances during the 70's, didn't actually 'erase' people -- his device actually teleported them into his home dimension, where his government were waiting to take the victims as prisoners. Why the device did so in such a bizarre fashion, transmitting portions of a body a piece at a time is unknown (other than that it looked visually cool, especially as done by Jack Kirby). He is totally unrelated to the 60's Batman villain of the same name who apparently really did erase people from sight.

A lot of the Roger Stern era also benefitted from being under the careful and insightful guiding hand of editor Mark Gruenwald, who helmed a lot of the more interesting Marvel titles in the 80's, and deserves at least a portion of credit for their successes.

I'm pretty sure you mentioned this, but, just for the record, the Iron Man who was brought in as a founding member of the West Coast Avengers was Tony Stark's replacement, James 'Rhodey' Rhodes, who had also been present during the Secret Wars. Rhodes was only an active 'whacko' (as Hawkeye referred to them) during the mini-series, after which he returned the role to a recovering Stark, who, in turn, joined the west coast team in a generally non-Alpha role. Rhodes later went on to become War Machine and would return to the team years later, which I'm sure wil be covered in the next segment or two.

The whereabouts of Jarvis -- is a darn good question. I'd thought I'd remembered him being in the first couple of issues of Uncanny Avengers, but a quick check proved that I was mistaken. I can't remember his last appearance, though I do remember him being around during the period that Dr Strange had been a member of the New Avengers, and he and Wong had a constant tension over kitchen privileges. I would guess the current writers have a problem figuring where he would prove most useful, especially given that there are now so many sub-teams with more than one base of operations. I'm going to recheck my copies, because I now have a hunch that he may have been more likely to have shown up in the Avengers Assemble title.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    mwhitt80 said:

On Jarvis:
    The last place I remember seeing him is at the end of Secret Invasion stealing Luke Cage's baby. But that was Skrull Jarvis, so I'm not sure where real Jarvis was. My hope is he's in England hitting up nannies and servant girls.
    I could a write a two issue mini starring Jarvis getting his StoneCold-Butler-Pimp thing on in England living off his Avenger/Stark money. To bring it back to this episode I would even have him wearing an eye-patch (it works for Fury).

This is my recollection as well.
  • Options
    JDick said:

mwhitt80 said:

On Jarvis:

This is my recollection as well.
    Actually, now that I think further on it, I can place him more recently: he was with Hank Pym's team in Mighty Avengers during the Dark Reign stories, in the Infinite Avengers Mansion. I don't recall where he went after that period though...
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Jarvis has been around the last few years, I was really hoping to see a rivalry develop between him and Wong. He's also in the preview for Avengers: Endless Wartime so he's been around.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2013
    I'm only 3/4 way through this podcast, but loving it.

During the earliest portion of the podcast, @Pants asks what the response was from readers back in 1980 to the seminal issue #213 "the Court-Martial of Yellowjacket", so I reached into my far left long-box and pulled out issue #216 (my first guess) to see for myself. It appears the consensus was that it was a fantastic issue, and I agree. Fans gave major props to the team's line-up changes, Yellowjacket's downfall being so realistic (maybe even too 'real' for comics), and offered overall unanimous accolades for Jim Shooter and the direction he was about to take the super team. There truly was truth in advertising on the cover of issue #213 - proclaiming it as destined to become another "Mighty Marvel Milestone".

FWIW: I'm a huge fan of these spotlight episodes guys. I'd like to request that you please, please consider doing one that covers Marvel Cosmic in the near future. @Adam_Murdough has proven time and time again that he is more than capable of handling it solo, though I prefer the roundtable discussions that also include Chris Eberle, @Pants and @JamieD. Thanks again guys!
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    eps 1396 and 1397!!!! Can't Wait!!! I'm off work til Tuesday and between these 2 eps Previews and Murd's latest Time Bubble, I'm gonna have some enjoyable summer evening walks this week! these spotlights are my faves!!!!! Like Pants, I just wanna go and read all this stuff!! - and frequently do! Was pleasently surprised, after the last XMen ep, to see that a recent Marvel masterworks I acquired starts with the days Of Future Past ish:) PERFECT synchronicity:) And that has happened to me more than once lol. (Kree Skrull War as well...which I JUST read for the 1st time after the relevant Avengers spotlight:) )Anywho....very much LOVE summer CGS:) See you in Baltimore?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On the matter of Henry Pym's villains during the era of the Ant-Man/Giant-Man stories in Tales To Astonish: most were forgettable one-shot villains like the Protector, the Wrecker, the Voice of Doom and the Mad Master of Time, but he did have a few memorable adversaries: Egghead (of whom you took prominent note in the podcast), the villainous Black Knight (the uncle of Dane Whitman, who was also a charter member of the original Masters Of Evil), the Porcupine, and the Human Top (who later became better known as Whirlwind, who attacked the Avengers as both a solo act and as part of teams such as the Lethal Legion, but almost always with a personal grudge against the Pyms).

And then there was the Magician, of whom we shall speak little of.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I can't say how much I appreciate these episodes. As a fan (and podcaster) of the Avengers these episodes fill me in on the rich history of the Avengers.

Jarvis showed up in AvX Versus #6 to fight Toad...LOL
    But on a more serious tip I think he showed up in Bendis last few issues of Avengers and maybe a cameo in the recent Young Avengers. I think he's hanging around Avengers tower.
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    When my wife is angry at me after a massive box of Avengers back issues turns up on our doorstep, I'm blaming you guys!
    Thank goodness I already have a complete run of all the copper age X-men titles!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

A lot of the Roger Stern era also benefitted from being under the careful and insightful guiding hand of editor Mark Gruenwald, who helmed a lot of the more interesting Marvel titles in the 80's, and deserves at least a portion of credit for their successes.

As long as he also gets a portion of the blame for the horrors unleashed on the book after he fired Stern.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Brack said:

As long as he also gets a portion of the blame for the horrors unleashed on the book after he fired Stern.

I was reading Avengers during the Stern run as a kid (around 10 yrs old). After Stern left, I stuck around until issue 300 but it was dreadful. In #300, when Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, and Gilgamesh (?) joined the team, I had to say enough. I also remember the annual before 300 that was an Evolutionary War cross over and there were no active Avengers. Steve Rogers as "The Captain" had to throw together a reserve team potluck of Falcon, Beast, Hercules, smart Grey Hulk, the masters of evil Yellow Jacket, and Jocosta.