Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Pacific Rim - Most enjoyable movie of the summer so far!

HOLY CRAP!

I'm predisposed to like giant monsters and robot fighting, but this was fantastic.

Had a smile on the whole time. Was great to see something ORIGINAL and not an adaptation or a pre-exsisting comic book hero.

Go. Now. See.

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I took a pass on this one. From what I've seen, it looks very similar to the Transformers movies, with lots of giant robots and massive damage, and a plethora of angles designed to give me vertigo-induced headaches (which the first Transformers movie did). And I'm not a fan of the giant robot genre anyway. Glad you enjoyed it, but... not for me.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited July 2013

I took a pass on this one. From what I've seen, it looks very similar to the Transformers movies, with lots of giant robots and massive damage, and a plethora of angles designed to give me vertigo-induced headaches (which the first Transformers movie did). And I'm not a fan of the giant robot genre anyway. Glad you enjoyed it, but... not for me.

I’m going to try to see this one in the theater. Guillermo del Toro doesn’t do spectacle for spectacle’s sake. From what I’ve heard about the film (both from the people I know who worked on the film, and from people who’ve seen it whose opinions I usually agree with) you can actually see what’s going on in the scenes. He doesn’t do the 20-jump-cuts-per-second style most action movies employ these days. It’s his love letter to the daikaiju films he loved as a kid, along with a little luchador action for good measure. But at its heart the movie is a fairy tale of princesses, knights in armor, and dragons. Very. Big. Dragons.

As someone who has every Godzilla movie (as well as the related Toho films—Rodan, the Mothra kids movies, etc.) in their collection, I’m looking forward to seeing it. I’ll probably have to take my kids too, as they’re bigger Godzilla fans than me.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    The movies of Guillermo del Toro have a heart and soul. That's a very good thing.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If I went, I'd spend the whole movie wondering why they didn't just do a Voltron movie instead.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'll probably wait for the bluray.

I want a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion. That's the giant robot/alien movie that needs to be made.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Oh.

My.

God.

What a great movie.
  • Options

Nothing like Transformers.

Love.

Loss.

Heroism.

More love.

Annnnnnndddd. Rocket Punch!

• Options
    WetRats said:

Nothing like Transformers.

Love.

Loss.

Heroism.

More love.

Annnnnnndddd. Rocket Punch!

And another endorsement from a source I generally agree with. Now to decide if I see it this weekend while I'm home alone, or wait to see it with the kids when they get back.

@WetRats, would you say this was okay for a 7-year-old—specifically, a 7-year-old who has seen every Godzilla movie ever made, including the more recent ones?
  • Options

And another endorsement from a source I generally agree with. Now to decide if I see it this weekend while I'm home alone, or wait to see it with the kids when they get back.

@WetRats, would you say this was okay for a 7-year-old—specifically, a 7-year-old who has seen every Godzilla movie ever made, including the more recent ones?

There's no gore to speak of other than icky kaiju organs.

Nor do I remember any "bad" language.

The trailers pretty much show the intensity of the violence.

I'd definitely rate it as more kid-friendly than Man of Steel or Iron Man 3.
  • Options
    One very scary sequence involving a little girl.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

One very scary sequence involving a little girl.

Hmmm. I'll have to discuss it with the missus, I guess. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    That scene with the little Japanese girl was terrific. There were people in the audience tearing up. She was great.

It it the best Kaiju/Robot movie ever, so far yes.
    However I feel there is yet to be made the ultimate Kaiju film. Hopefully the new Godzilla will set the bar higher. Pacific Rim is fun and loud and action stuffed. I really would have loved to see more Kaiju city smashing, like the old Godzilla movies. Though the little girl scene was kind of like that. There was a wee bit of silliness with the scientists but in the end I loved them. My biggest complaint was I could not understand/hear some of the dialogue. Need to see again.
    My 12yr old LOVED it.
  • Options
    Well, I might wait and watch it on DVD. But I still don't think this is one I'd want to see on the big screen.
  • Options

Well, I might wait and watch it on DVD. But I still don't think this is one I'd want to see on the big screen.

This is the most big-screen-worthy film I've seen in years.
  • Options
    This was a movie about love, respect, comradeship and sacrifice disguised as an action movie.
  • Options
    I totally agree that this film needs to be seen on the big screen. The sense of scale and scope is aww inspiring. The mechs and the Kaiju have a real sense of mass to them. As for kid friendly, my son is almost 8 and he was blown away. I was so envious of him to be that age and see something like this. I said to my wife while we were leaving the theater that Guiermo Del Tor
    I love the concept that it takes two pilots with a strong emotional bond to use the mechs. It totally opens the story up for added tension and character development.
    It's sad that the public perception of this film is that it's a Transformers knockoff. It's better than any of those films in every convieveable way.
  • Options
    And for me, this is still just a 'big robot' movie. I'm not trying to put down the film, but this particular genre -- gigantic robots and/or monsters that waltz through cityscapes -- just don't interest me. I liked the original Godzilla movie. I sat through Transformers. That's pretty much it for me.
  • Options

And for me, this is still just a 'big robot' movie. I'm not trying to put down the film, but this particular genre -- gigantic robots and/or monsters that waltz through cityscapes -- just don't interest me. I liked the original Godzilla movie. I sat through Transformers. That's pretty much it for me.

Fair enough, but honestly, it's more of a war movie than a big robot* movie.

It's about the crews and their support team.

*Besides, despite the slogan, Transformers aren't robots, either, they're mechanical aliens. :-/
  • Options
    "Mechanical aliens in disguise!"

...?

• Options
    edited July 2013

"Mechanical aliens in disguise!"

...?

As robots disguised as trucks and cars and jets and boom boxes.

Not so catchy...
  • Options
    all that property damage and loss of life... I don't know if I can handle it after Avengers and Man Of Steel... Its... Its... Just to much....

BULL! Movie was great and I loved it. But how come no "call to arms" over the the destruction of said life and property?!? A little hypocritical, me-thinks?

yeah... the forum has been too quiet lately... time to stir some &%$@ up!

• Options

But how come no "call to arms" over the the destruction of said life and property?!? A little hypocritical, me-thinks?

Haven't seen it. Got nothing to say.
  • Options

all that property damage and loss of life... I don't know if I can handle it after Avengers and Man Of Steel... Its... Its... Just to much....

BULL! Movie was great and I loved it. But how come no "call to arms" over the the destruction of said life and property?!? A little hypocritical, me-thinks?

yeah... the forum has been too quiet lately... time to stir some &%$@ up!

I don't see any hypocrisy at all. It comes down to expectations. And the negative reactions to Man of Steel weren't as much about the death and destruction, but Superman’s reactions amidst all the death and destruction.

With daikaiju movies, however, we know going in that a city (or two or three) is going to get stomped on, but good. That disaster film aspect is part of the genre.
  • Options

But how come no "call to arms" over the the destruction of said life and property?!? A little hypocritical, me-thinks?

Because the human cost was addressed.

The movie was about carrying on despite the cost!
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Wow! The wife, kids and I saw it today. Loved it from the beginning!
  • Options
    Best movie of the summer. Diverse cast, powerful human narrative. yet cool fight scenes. My only regret is, a sequel seems impossible.
  • Options

Best movie of the summer. Diverse cast, powerful human narrative. yet cool fight scenes. My only regret is, a sequel seems impossible.

Because of the box office?

This thing is gonna destroy in Asia.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

It had better -- it's domestic weekend take was pretty tepid. Only $37M sales for a film with a $190M budget. (But, then, most US films are being made for the international market rather than the domestic market anyway.)

Despicable Me 2 took first place for the second weekend in a row; Grown-Ups 2 came in second; both beat out Pacific Rim... and the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.
  • Options

WetRats said:

It had better -- it's domestic weekend take was pretty tepid. Only $37M sales for a film with a $190M budget. (But, then, most US films are being made for the international market rather than the domestic market anyway.)

Despicable Me 2 took first place for the second weekend in a row; Grown-Ups 2 came in second; both beat out Pacific Rim... and the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.
    Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Screens and showtimes were limited.

When I saw it the theater was maybe 1/4 full.

Shame.

• Options

the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.

Has the rest of the world joined me in being tired of Depp's clown act?