Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Pacific Rim - Most enjoyable movie of the summer so far!

124»

Comments

• Options
    davefaustdavefaust Posts: 24

davefaust said:

I didn't notice. I don't watch a movie in which giant robots fight monsters because for the human element. The pilots could have been played by balloons with faces drawn on them and it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Hmm... are you a fan of the Michael Bay Transformers films?
    Actually, I hate them. When I was a kid a liked Transformers for a little bit but then lost all interest in them. Kaiju on the other hand, that's forever.
  • Options
    davefaustdavefaust Posts: 24
    Planeis said:

davefaust said:

I didn't notice. I don't watch a movie in which giant robots fight monsters because for the human element. The pilots could have been played by balloons with faces drawn on them and it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Really? I mean sure, some movies look great, but upon second viewings don't you want to have some connection to the characters?
    Sure, but for this specific movie I had little to no interest in the people. I just wanted giant robots fighting giant monsters, and that's what I got. I don't know anyone who watches a Godzilla movie for the non-rubber suited characters.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    davefaust said:

I don't know anyone who watches a Godzilla movie for the non-rubber suited characters.

...which is about as good a reason as any why I don't watch any Godzilla (or similar) movies.

Except for the first Godzilla film. Love that Raymond Burr performance.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    And now, this week: Wolverine!

Will this film rise above the debris of fallen summer 'blockbusters'?

Or will it be just another bomb?

(I'm hoping it will do at least respectably if it can't draw in the huge crowds. In the meantime, I spent my birthday this week at the theater watching Despicable Me 2.)
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

(I'm hoping it will do at least respectably if it can't draw in the huge crowds. In the meantime, I spent my birthday this week at the theater watching Despicable Me 2.)

I feel very confident it will not bomb and will perform in line with where all the X-Men movies have been. Not spectacular like a Spiderman or Iron Man movie, just right in line with where they want it.

Box Office Mojo is saying based on its early numbers it could close out the weekend with $70 million depending on how things go.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I feel very confident it will not bomb and will perform in line with where all the X-Men movies have been. Not spectacular like a Spiderman or Iron Man movie, just right in line with where they want it.

Box Office Mojo is saying based on its early numbers it could close out the weekend with $70 million depending on how things go.
    Whoops. Scratch that. Despite better reviews... Latest Saturday update shows it tracking along the lines of the original X Men. That... Is not good. Oh well. Word of mouth may help it and Days of Future Past is already en route.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

I dunno.

It's the rare non-spectacle film I'll spend theater bucks for.*

The Way, Way Back for instance, went straight to my stream or rent list.

*And tickets are a heckuva lot cheaper here in the sticks.

See? It's all your fault. ;)
    :\">

I went to Much Ado.
    Then you are net neutral ;)
    I can live with that.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Whoops. Scratch that. Despite better reviews... Latest Saturday update shows it tracking along the lines of the original X Men. That... Is not good. Oh well. Word of mouth may help it and Days of Future Past is already en route.
    Looks as though there's still berserker hope:

'The Wolverine' claws way to top of box office
    http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/2013/07/28/the-wolverine-claws-way-top-box-office/pFhYcaOp5Sn8fpAOgtXLWN/story.html

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/2013/07/28/the-wolverine-claws-way-top-box-office/pFhYcaOp5Sn8fpAOgtXLWN/story.html

M
    Yea. I'm glad it did ok. I think it might be some audience fatigue. I would definitely count myself as an xmen fan, seen all the movies in theaters. Will see this one for sure. But I've already been to a bunch of big movies. Didn't feel the need to rush out and see this one.

I think this movie may have suffered from not having any other recognizable actors. At least not that I noticed. I haven't seen most of the marketing. In the other X movies and even the last wolverine movie they could focus some of the marketing on Reynolds, Schriver, that guy from the black Eyed Peas. Not that they are huge named actors, but it provided other characters to focus on. This, they didn't seem to have any to market.

Bringing it back to Pac Rim I think it may have suffered similarly. Yes, it had huge robots, but none of the actors were known enough that they could focus some of the marketing on them.

Anyways, just my two cents. I look forward to seeing Wolverine and Pac Rim. I liked Origins and think it takes way too much heat on the net in general.

• Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

M
    Yea. I'm glad it did ok. I think it might be some audience fatigue. I would definitely count myself as an xmen fan, seen all the movies in theaters. Will see this one for sure. But I've already been to a bunch of big movies. Didn't feel the need to rush out and see this one.

I think this movie may have suffered from not having any other recognizable actors. At least not that I noticed. I haven't seen most of the marketing. In the other X movies and even the last wolverine movie they could focus some of the marketing on Reynolds, Schriver, that guy from the black Eyed Peas. Not that they are huge named actors, but it provided other characters to focus on. This, they didn't seem to have any to market.

Bringing it back to Pac Rim I think it may have suffered similarly. Yes, it had huge robots, but none of the actors were known enough that they could focus some of the marketing on them.

Anyways, just my two cents. I look forward to seeing Wolverine and Pac Rim. I liked Origins and think it takes way too much heat on the net in general.

Just a point of clarification, the actor who portrayed Sabretooth was Liev Schreiber.
  • Options

Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

M

Just a point of clarification, the actor who portrayed Sabretooth was Liev Schreiber.
    Yea, that's what I meant, I was typing on a phone and went crazy.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Took in both Wolverine and Lon Ranger tonight. Enjoyed both to varrying degrees. Wolverine was essentially better than the 1st but kindve lacking in some ways. Liked the Lone Ranger despite it being a let down for me in many ways. I had really hoped for more.
  • Options
    Pacific Rim is fading away even faster now, the Lone Ranger appear to be a fading memory, Despicable Me 2 has finally dropped from the top three down to #5, but Wolverine is still holding strong in it's second week. That's a good sign.

I note, though, that the international box-office for Wolverine is greater than the domestic box-office by a 2 to 1 ratio; is it even possible for a blockbuster to do well in America alone anymore, or will it continue to rely heavily on international sales to be a hit?

The box-office is actually dominated by comic book movies this weekend, with 2 Guns blazing in at #1 and Smurfs 2 prancing at #3, with Red 2 slipping away to #8 in spite of some very good reviews.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I note, though, that the international box-office for Wolverine is greater than the domestic box-office by a 2 to 1 ratio; is it even possible for a blockbuster to do well in America alone anymore, or will it continue to rely heavily on international sales to be a hit?

China is adding 100 screens per week.

100 screens per week!

They're scheduled to keep doing so at that rate for the next five years.
  • Options
    Finally saw it.
    Bottom Line: 2.5 stars out of 5. Not a good movie in my opinion, but not “bad”. Expecting it to be more fun. Boring characters, bad dialogue. Good music, sometimes good visuals.

Short Pac Rim Review
  • Options
    Kick Ass 2 got its ass kicked by The Butler this weekend. The rankings are...

1 - The Butler ($25M)
    2 - We're The Millers ($69.5M) (2nd week)
    3 - Elysium ($55.9M) (2nd week)
    4 - Kick Ass 2 ($13.57M)
    5 - Planes ($45.1) (2nd week)
    6 - Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters ($38.9M) (2nd week)
    7 - Jobs ($6.7)
    8 - 2 Guns ($59.2) (3rd week)
    9 - Smurfs 2 ($56.9M) (3rd week)
    10 - The Wolverine ($120.5M) (4th week)

Those are gross figures; I don't know if they include both domestic and international sales, but, going by these numbers...

Only We're The Millers has made a solid profit so far. Wolverine has just broken even, so will likely do all right in the long run. The Butler, 2 Guns and Planes are right on the verge of breaking even, and will also do well in the long run.

Looking further down the chart, Despicable Me 2, now at #12, appears to be the biggest, runaway money maker, though a number of other films are doing pretty good too (Star Trek, Fast & Furious 6, The Conjuring, Grown Ups 2).

Sliding away at #19 is Pacific Rim, barely earning half its budget and losing over half its screens this weekend.

Like I say, I don't know if these numbers include the international returns, so this might just be a reflection of the domestic market only.
  • Options

Like I say, I don't know if these numbers include the international returns, so this might just be a reflection of the domestic market only.

Pretty sure those are the domestic numbers.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I just saw it and knew nothing about it going in. This is as bad as Van Helsing.
  • Options
    csyeungcsyeung Posts: 2
    Those should be domestic numbers: From boxoffice Mojo
    Pacific Rim added $20 million this weekend. Most of that came in China, where the movie dipped 25 percent to $14.6 million. This was enough to get the movie past $100 million there, which makes China the movie's highest-grossing territory ahead of the U.S. Overall, Pacific Rim has grossed $286 million overseas, and it should get past $300 million in the next week or two.
    China has surpassed US Domestic gross
    The worldwide is just short of 400 M
  • Options

Kick Ass 2 got its ass kicked by The Butler this weekend. The rankings are...

1 - The Butler ($25M)
    2 - We're The Millers ($69.5M) (2nd week)
    3 - Elysium ($55.9M) (2nd week)
    4 - Kick Ass 2 ($13.57M)
    5 - Planes ($45.1) (2nd week)
    6 - Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters ($38.9M) (2nd week)
    7 - Jobs ($6.7)
    8 - 2 Guns ($59.2) (3rd week)
    9 - Smurfs 2 ($56.9M) (3rd week)
    10 - The Wolverine ($120.5M) (4th week)

Those are gross figures; I don't know if they include both domestic and international sales, but, going by these numbers...

Only We're The Millers has made a solid profit so far. Wolverine has just broken even, so will likely do all right in the long run. The Butler, 2 Guns and Planes are right on the verge of breaking even, and will also do well in the long run.

Looking further down the chart, Despicable Me 2, now at #12, appears to be the biggest, runaway money maker, though a number of other films are doing pretty good too (Star Trek, Fast & Furious 6, The Conjuring, Grown Ups 2).

Sliding away at #19 is Pacific Rim, barely earning half its budget and losing over half its screens this weekend.

Wolverine is doing nice international business and it hasn't opened in Japan yet. Could make 300 million at the "foreign" box office and a little over 120+ in north america. Weird fact, Wolverine is the most successful "travelogue" movie of a north american in Japan. (although, when adjusting for inflation, the Karate Kid 2 is likely still well ahead)

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Pacific Rim just exceeded $100M in China.....
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I just saw Pacific Rim about two weeks, ago, it was raining outside at my house and completely dark. I felt like I was in the city with them. Cannot WAIT to watch it again.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Got around to seeing this movie. I loved it, and loved the theme.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Sequel slated for 2017

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119980

Universal Pictures and Legendary Pictures have announced that Pacific Rim 2 will be released on April 7, 2017 in 3D and IMAX 3D theaters. Guillermo del Toro will again be directing, and is currently writing the script with Zak Penn (cowriter of The Incredible Hulk and Marvel's The Avengers). Between now and 2017, del Toro will also be working on a Pacific Rim animated TV series, Pacific Rim graphic novels, The Strain TV series, and the haunted house film Crimson Peak, which Universal and Legendary are releasing on October 16, 2015.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    That's great news. Really loved the movie and Del Torro seems like a cool guy.