Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

When it's time to call it quits with a character

One thing I feel like we tend to hear, especially from creators trying to promote their creator-owned work, is that we, as fans, should follow the creators and not the characters. That we shouldn't by books we don't like just because it's about Superman or Wolverine or whatever. But we've all done it. They may be fictional, but a little part of these characters is real to us and I know I don't want to miss out on an important part of a characters existence just because I don't like how they are being handled...

But not really. Over the last few years I've noticed that I've been breaking up with characters left and right and having flings with characters I wouldn't have looked twice at before because the creative on it is so attractive (like Daredevil and Hawkeye for instance) and reading more creator owned than ever.

Examples:
I read Batman: Hush. I had been a pretty big bat-fan, but even though I didn't hate the story I instantly felt like I never needed to read another mainstream Batman story again. Now I can't stand anything Bat-related. I don't even know why.

Spider-Man, that was toughest, because he's the reason I even got into comics. But even during the BND era Dan Slott was one of my least favorite writers and when Spider-Island happened, I read the first issue and didn't read it again for 6 months. The only reason I even bothered was because there was a crossover with Daredevil and I didn't want to skip ahead. But then 700 came out. It wasn't anything I didn't expect from Slott, no raging hate fires in my soul over it. But it was an out and I took it and now I don't miss him at all.

I'm curious, is this happening with anyone else? When did you know it was over?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Personally, I’ve always been more interested in reading good stories than in following particular characters for good or ill. Even when I was a young reader. Sure I had characters I liked more than others, but I liked a lot of characters, and I could always find a story worth reading if I looked through the entire spinner rack. (Yes, comics were still mostly displayed in spinner racks when I began reading them.) I probably had more Batman and Spider-Man comics than anything else, but I rarely got consecutive issues of any one title. My childhood collection is all over the place—about half superhero, but also lots of war comics, humor comics, sci-fi/fantasy comics, and even a few horror comics.

And even at five years old I was paying attention to the credits. As early as my elementary school years, the creative teams, while not being the sole determining factor, were already playing a big part in my buying decisions.

That being said, there are still certain characters I’ll give more leeway to. Anytime Aquaman gets relaunched, I’ll give the title a shot irrespective of the creative team. By the same token, I won’t hesitate to drop it like a hot potato if it doesn’t do anything for me. Likewise, there are certain creators I’ll pick up no matter what they do, and if it ends up being a series that doesn’t work for me, I’ll drop it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The one character I've followed religiously, for better or worse, has actually been a team: The Legion of Superheroes.

I have to admit a sense of relief at the latest series cancellation, and a hope that it will be a while before a relaunch. Maybe I can make the break.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'll just make a clean break with a classic Marvel or DC character/title if I'm not enjoying it. I have boxes and shelves full of reading material to reread and enjoy.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The only characters I follow, despite the quality of the material, are the Fantastic Four. Thankfully, over the last ten years or so, the book hasn't been so terrible I felt dumb for buying it.
  • Options
    If you are reading by character, I could see you getting burnt out on the industry. Also why not try some independent titles?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited August 2013
    I've got 3 characters I follow, and I would drop 2 of them if things got really bad.
    WetRats said:

I have to admit a sense of relief at the latest series cancellation, and a hope that it will be a while before a relaunch.

yep. sigh Ghost Rider sigh

on the brightside Marvel has given me close to ten years of really good to excellent Hulk stories, and if we pretend Shadowland was just a dream, then Daredevil has set the bar for consistently great stories over a 15 year period.

• Options
    Lets have a call to arms here, all of us! CHARACTERS SUCK! They mean absolutely nothing, they are just people we identify with when written well. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE CREATORS THAT MAKE YOUR BOOKS! You are going to get frustrated with comics, if you are looking for good writing in a wolverine or ghost rider series every month. Read something cool go follow that name to the next comic. DO NOT BUY THINGS THAT SUCK JUST BECAUSE WOLVERINE IS IN IT! Also comics work in a cycle so if you do not enjoy Wolverine right now just wait a few years.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    CHARACTERS SUCK???? That's ridiculously narrow thing to say. They mean nothing???? Even dumber. It all starts with a love of the character and maybe we become refined enough to just go on what a creator does but in the long run we go back to what we like in the character. I loved Amazing Spiderman with Roger Stern and JR JR but I did not like Herb Trimpe's version of Spiderman in Marvel TeamUp but I still loved the character of Spiderman. He did not suck and making a blanket statement like "CHARACTERS SUCK" and "They mean absolutely nothing" may be your motto but I cant believe the majority of this community feels that way.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    i used to love spiderman and xmen and but reached a point where i just didnt need to read anymore of them. i still like them but dont need to read them and im no longer compelled to. similarly, despite how much i love the characters, ive stopped following daredevil, superman, capt. America and the punisher at times. however i would check in on them from time to time and follow a bit so long as i was engaged then sluff em off whenever they go stale for me. I got back into Green lantern and back tracked a bit and now Im pretty much out again.
    I am guilty of buying Batman and Detective out of compulsion and habit than desire. even during times when I flat out havnt enjoyed it. Fortunately even when they havnt been great in my opinion theyve rarely been what I consider really truly bad. I think theyve each been steadily average / nothing special for so long now that I might be ready to let them go.
  • Options
    Great stories of any medium, not just comics, require not only talented creators, but strong, memorable characters.

Yes, a gifted creator can take an existing character no one cares about and turn out a great story. But in the process of making that story, they are making the reader care about that character. They are making that character, even if only for the duration of that one story, a strong, memorable character.

Characters do not appear out of the ether fully formed. They are built up over the course of a story (or many stories). It is those stories—and hence the people creating those stories—that make characters iconic or forgettable.

But the thing is that, if the creators have done their jobs properly, their characters will outlive them. Eventually—sooner rather than later when it comes to comics—they will be handled by other creators, for good or ill. So, it’s only natural that people generally tend to latch onto characters over creators. The characters were created to achieve a connection with the reader on some level (some may connect more strongly than others), and they will always be there for the reader.

As for the rest, I’m not going to judge anyone for what they read or why they read it—not publicly anyway. ;)
  • Options

Great stories of any medium, not just comics, require not only talented creators, but strong, memorable characters.

Yes, a gifted creator can take an existing character no one cares about and turn out a great story. But in the process of making that story, they are making the reader care about that character. They are making that character, even if only for the duration of that one story, a strong, memorable character.

So, it’s only natural that people generally tend to latch onto characters over creators. The characters were created to achieve a connection with the reader on some level (some may connect more strongly than others), and they will always be there for the reader.

As for the rest, I’m not going to judge anyone for what they read or why they read it—not publicly anyway. ;)

I agree with all of you guys, and I have also not judged anybody for reading anything. However nobody should read something out of habit. There are too many good comics on store shelves. Characters and writers definitely go together but writers can make a good story without good characters, the opposite of this is definitely not true. In a story I often character is more important than plot but really it all goes together. Comics work in cycles and I want people to understand that instead of getting frustrated like they are in this post. This is a great form of entertainment and everyone should enjoy it without getting frustrated by being a better consumer. I respect everyone that does disagree, but I also want people to argue with logic instead of having a gut emotional reaction,
  • Options

So, it’s only natural that people generally tend to latch onto characters over creators. The characters were created to achieve a connection with the reader on some level (some may connect more strongly than others), and they will always be there for the reader.

I agree with all of you guys, and I have also not judged anybody for reading anything. However nobody should read something out of habit. There are too many good comics on store shelves. Characters and writers definitely go together but writers can make a good story without good characters, the opposite of this is definitely not true. In a story I often character is more important than plot but really it all goes together. Comics work in cycles and I want people to understand that instead of getting frustrated like they are in this post. This is a great form of entertainment and everyone should enjoy it without getting frustrated by being a better consumer. I respect everyone that does disagree, but I also want people to argue with logic instead of having a gut emotional reaction,
    I beg to differ when you say writers can make good stories without good characters. But perhaps our definitions of “good characters” aren’t quite the same. Perhaps if you gave me an example of what you think is a good story with no good characters, we could have a clearer discussion on the matter.

Look, I understand where you’re coming from. I worked at a comic shop back in the early ’90s. I can’t tell you how many times customers would come up and say something along the lines of, “Man, (fill in the blank) sucks! When are they going to get a new writer?” Yet they kept on purchasing the book month after month, and month after month they would complain about it. After a while I got fed up with asking them why then they kept buying the book. Instead I started telling them, “Well, if you liked this book when so-and-so was writing it, you should try this other book, because it has a similar feel. I think you’ll like it if you give it a shot.” Sometimes they’d take the advice, sometimes they wouldn’t.

The point is, people generally don’t respond well to broad criticisms of their reading habits. They tend to get defensive about it, in fact. But if you give them specific alternatives to specific situations, you’ll get a much better response.

And part of the reason they get defensive is that comic book readers tend to get emotionally attached (sometimes deeply attached) to their favorite characters. It’s just how most of us are wired internally, just as I believe it is that same internal wiring that draws us to stories told in the form of pictures and text in the first place. So you’re going to have a hard time taking emotional response out of the equation.

That doesn’t mean logic has no place in the discussion. In fact, I think you’ll find that most readers, particularly the ones I’ve encountered on this board, already know and understand the arguments have laid out. Most comic book readers are intelligent people, and can figure all of that stuff out for themselves. But if you expect everyone to throw away their emotional attachments in the face of logic, you’re in for a lot more frustration.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes people just like to bitch. ;)
  • Options
    I think it is an age thing. You know, like how little kids eat ketchup on hot dogs and eventually (usually) switch over to mustard?

As a child, it was all about the character. I read Spider-Man because I liked Spider-Man. Anything beyond that was information I didn't need, want, or care about.

But, as a child, it wasn't just what was written on the page... it was tied into every time we played superheroes, or with action figures. The comics were merely jumping off points to our imagination, in which the character was ALWAYS amazing. Comics inspired, but, for the most part, they weren't the final word.

As we get older, there is less time for play, so more of the responsibility for making the character amazing lands on the comic creators. A lot of folks learn that the creators are the major factors and tend to follow the creators at that point, rather than a particular character.

And, yet, especially with those characters that we loved so much as children, there is a desire for them to be good, and we often give them the nostalgia boost - enjoying less than stellar runs a bit more than warranted, keeping up with a title through bad runs hoping it gets better, defending creative choices that even we aren't that sure that we really like.

I'm an old man now. I have my favorite characters, but I've learned that bad stories starring those characters don't increase my love of those characters, so I find it easier to drop them pretty quick. Still, I tend to give them multiple chances to rip my heart out, for nostalgia's sake.

I'm looking at you, Firestorm. I know it was you, Firestorm. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Lets have a call to arms here, all of us! CHARACTERS SUCK! They mean absolutely nothing, they are just people we identify with when written well. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE CREATORS THAT MAKE YOUR BOOKS! You are going to get frustrated with comics, if you are looking for good writing in a wolverine or ghost rider series every month. Read something cool go follow that name to the next comic. DO NOT BUY THINGS THAT SUCK JUST BECAUSE WOLVERINE IS IN IT! Also comics work in a cycle so if you do not enjoy Wolverine right now just wait a few years.

I'm going to respectfully disagree and echo @Peter's comment above. Adding to it, there are definitely creators that I would follow just about anywhere, but, for the most part, they were creators that I discovered as a result of them working on characters that I was following (Rucka, for instance). Sure, there are a few that drew me in off of their own work (Brereton, for instance), but there are just as many creators out there that will cause me to step aside instead. Likewise, there are some characters that might just be enough to cause me to skip out on a creator that I would otherwise follow (Rucka doing Power Pack, for instance).
  • Options
    I remember when I called it quits with Spider-Man. That was also the time when I decided to quit reading comics.

I quit reading Spider-Man because Peter's greatest enemies were either dead or good (the Green Goblin, Venom), his best friend was dead (Harry Osborn), Ben Reily was going to take his place (or was he the clone? I always forget), he and MJ were going to have a kid and raise it, and Aunt May was dead. With all that going on, it was a perfect ending point.

Of course, me quitting comics is a far more complicated answer, but with my favorite superhero retiring, I decided to too.
  • Options

I beg to differ when you say writers can make good stories without good characters. But perhaps our definitions of “good characters” aren’t quite the same. Perhaps if you gave me an example of what you think is a good story with no good characters, we could have a clearer discussion on the matter.

Look, I understand where you’re coming from. I worked at a comic shop back in the early ’90s. I can’t tell you how many times customers would come up and say something along the lines of, “Man, (fill in the blank) sucks! When are they going to get a new writer?” Yet they kept on purchasing the book month after month, and month after month they would complain about it. After a while I got fed up with asking them why then they kept buying the book. Instead I started telling them, “Well, if you liked this book when so-and-so was writing it, you should try this other book, because it has a similar feel. I think you’ll like it if you give it a shot.” Sometimes they’d take the advice, sometimes they wouldn’t.

The point is, people generally don’t respond well to broad criticisms of their reading habits. They tend to get defensive about it, in fact. But if you give them specific alternatives to specific situations, you’ll get a much better response.

And part of the reason they get defensive is that comic book readers tend to get emotionally attached (sometimes deeply attached) to their favorite characters. It’s just how most of us are wired internally, just as I believe it is that same internal wiring that draws us to stories told in the form of pictures and text in the first place. So you’re going to have a hard time taking emotional response out of the equation.

That doesn’t mean logic has no place in the discussion. In fact, I think you’ll find that most readers, particularly the ones I’ve encountered on this board, already know and understand the arguments have laid out. Most comic book readers are intelligent people, and can figure all of that stuff out for themselves. But if you expect everyone to throw away their emotional attachments in the face of logic, you’re in for a lot more frustration.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes people just like to bitch. ;)
    I have felt that illogical emotional attachment before, certainly. Letting go of it was, I think, the best thing to happen to my comics reading experience. I read a better, more interesting and more diverse selection of books, that I feel passionate about. But I also don't have book I can always count on to be in my pull list, with reliable characters who I don't have to relearn everything about every time I turn a page. There is something comforting about the nostalgia of the characters we grow attached to, especially early in life. Its just not worth being disappointed month after month (or every other week in some cases).
  • Options
    I have a very strong emotional attachment to Oracle, so much that it was a running joke at Bristol Comic Con, that Bob Wayne would kill her off. (There is a very logical attachment her however and when Bob was told he felt a bit bad)
    When they announced they were making her into Batgirl again I was devastated but then Gail Simone explained her plan and it made sense (kind of) and it was handled very well.
    I think characters are important to some people because sometimes they are able to get across a point of view that you might not be able to explain.
    I haven't let her go yet as she represents a huge part of me and I think for a lot of people they don't let their characters go, they just wait for the good creators to come back to them.
  • Options

I have a very strong emotional attachment to Oracle, so much that it was a running joke at Bristol Comic Con, that Bob Wayne would kill her off. (There is a very logical attachment her however and when Bob was told he felt a bit bad)
    When they announced they were making her into Batgirl again I was devastated but then

It was a shame the way Oracle was handled. What makes me more mad Is Renee Montoya not being present after 6-7 years of building her up.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Thing is, the older I get, the more I *like* change in my characters. Shazam/Captain Marvel is a great example. A lot of people hated the recent New52 take on him...but damned if I didn't enjoy it. If I want to read about the Ordway version - still the gold standard in my book - I have those back issues to go to. But if...some 20 years later...Ordway was still delivering this same version of the Big Red Cheese? I can't say I'd still be with him.

I see the three elements - Story/Character/Creator - as essentially equals, or at the very least a system of checks and balances that, the closer you get to equilibrium, will deliver a great overall experience reading the book, and a comic that will stand the test of time.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I see the three elements - Story/Character/Creator - as essentially equals, or at the very least a system of checks and balances that, the closer you get to equilibrium, will deliver a great overall experience reading the book, and a comic that will stand the test of time.

The first comment I agree with.
  • Options
    Going back to the original. We follow characters because there is something about the character that we identify with. When that stops being the case, then it's time.

I'm not sure that the touchstones are the same with creators. If all of the works that a creator puts out create the exact same association, that feels a little one trick pony-ish to me and is probably not a creator that I'm going to stick with for very long before I get tired of seeing the same things rehashed. So, I suspect that with creators, it's more about a style of writing or illustration or genre that they elevate that makes for the connection.

For example, while I love David Drake's military SF books, I'm less of a fan of his fantasy (largely because he DOES elevate military SF and his fantasy characters by an large are all the same people in different scenarios). I continue to follow him as a writer, but his books aren't the urgent buys that they were when he was focusing on the Slammers universe.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I follow the character. In Marvel it was Spider-man & Moon Knight. DC it was Batman. I read a lot of crap stories for all 3, but those were my anchors to both universes. Once I got to a good jumping off point, I was able to release the tethers & move on.

Its always been the characters that intrigued me, not the specific creators. They were my safety net when I would read other stuff. Since I moved on, I did try other characters (currently the Shadow.) I buy the titles regardless of the creative teams.

M
  • Options
    Do you guys ever get hooked into a series based on character and stay because of a writer?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    No, but I got hook onto Moon Knight when a black suited Spidey made an appearance in MK's series to fight Hobgoblin. I became a fan & followed the character.

M
  • Options

Do you guys ever get hooked into a series based on character and stay because of a writer?

I've had the reverse happen. Started reading Iron Man because of Warren Ellis and stuck with it til the end of Fraction. I also started reading Green Lantern because of Johns, and expanded to the other titles because I was so enamored with the world, though I recently dropped them as well.

But my love of certain characters has led me to writers many times. Reading JLA and Fantastic Four led me to Mark Waid, and now Daredevil (plus the other million great things he's done in the last 20 years), Fraction on Iron Man led me to Hawkeye, and so on...
  • Options

I've had characters lead me to creators which I then followed to other books. If I was already reading a book, I don't think that a new creator ever caused me to stick with the book. I have had the opposite happen where a creator has caused me to drop a title like a hot rock.

• Options

But my love of certain characters has led me to writers many times. Reading JLA and Fantastic Four led me to Mark Waid, and now Daredevil (plus the other million great things he's done in the last 20 years), Fraction on Iron Man led me to Hawkeye, and so on...

Did you read any of the previous Daredevil series? It was great. I can't reccomend it highly enough. It started with an amazing Kevin Smith story, then had a long (and equaly great) Bendis, then Brubaker run. Just pretend the Diggle run never happened.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Did you read any of the previous Daredevil series? It was great. I can't reccomend it highly enough. It started with an amazing Kevin Smith story, then had a long (and equaly great) Bendis, then Brubaker run. Just pretend the Diggle run never happened.
    With the exception of the Kevin Smith story -- which was great -- I tended to ignore Daredevil after Frank Miller left the book. I never cared for the dark, noirish DD, which always felt anathemic to the original swashbuckling, wise-cracking man-without-fear persona. Miller's turn to the darker side worked well, but he was the only one who really pulled it off. I tried reading the series a few times since -- Chichester and Weeks, Nocenti and Romita Jr, Brubaker and whoever -- all left me feeling pretty empty. Not to say they weren't doing any good stories, but none of it ever felt like Daredevil to me. (O'Neil and Mazzuchelli had a pretty good turn, though.)

Which is why I love the current Mark Waid run. Waid has managed to utilize the best of both the swashbuckler devil-may-care character and the noirish DD to produce some really great, great stories.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

As someone else has said, I didn't necessarily stay because of the writer, but enjoying that writer's work caused me to follow them to other projects they've done. I didn't know who Keith Giffen was until I picked up that first issue of Ambush Bug, but I will give pretty much anything he does a day in court sight unseen (but I'm not 100% loyal to any creator...he's done some stinkers in his day and I've dropped them like a bad habit).

I didn't stop reading the X-Men when Clairemont left, although to me he *is* the definitive voice of the team.

And certainly I wouldn't want to read Warlord done by anyone besides Mike Grell.

If I think of any other examples I'll add 'em...good question, though.