Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers Vs. X-Men #1 (spoilers)

I had a rehearsal downtown tonight anyway, so when I got out I figured, what the hell, and dropped by St. Mark's Place to get it at their (rather quiet) "launch party" to read on the train home.

More thoughts later, but my main takeaway, and it is a bummer that this is the case, is that the the "AR" logos in the corner of certain pages, that I guess you are supposed to point your smartphone camera at to get, I don't know, explosion sounds or something, HAVE GOT TO GO. Ugly. Distracting. Sort of like those annoying logos and promos that intrude on the lower-third of broadcast cable shows. I am already sick of them. I've bought the comic. I am there, reading it in print. Tolerating the interruption of the regular advertising because, hey, it is a periodical. Don't do something that intrudes on the work. Don't interrupt the story, even in that small way, to tell me that I'm not getting the whole thing. That what is on the page is not enough, and the there is a party going on online that I need to stop and check out.

And it's a bummer because I think there was a lot of gorgeous JRJR art in that book... but I find myself after the read whistling my annoyance at the "AR" logos.

As for the book itself? I think it was okay. A start. A few memorable nuances and moments. But mostly a very workmanlike start. It was no Civil War #1 or Infinite Crisis #1 (which, lest we forget in our jaded old age, and whether you liked where that stories got to or not, were some pretty hot first issues), but I will give it a few more chances.

I plan on writing an email to Marvel about the AR logos, for whatever good it might do. If I am going to take the time to talk about it here, I may as well take the time to speak up as a consumer to the producer.

I anticipate I will not be the only one who will be complaining about that ugly logo. I'm not a visual artist, but I would imagine I would HATE it if I were someone that actually worked on those pages.

Comments

• Options
    I just wanted to post the swag from the event: image
  • Options
    David I can't agree with you on the logo. Marvel comics are not high art, they are Disneyland rides and with those rides come logos and sponsors. The artist working on the pages are commercial artists that are trying to sell comics. I put my thoughts on how the app actual works in my other tread. If what you are watching on tv or what your reading in comics is not compelling enough to keep you from being distracted by a couple of letters in the corner then I suggest picking up something that will be more interesting to you. On a side note, the AR logo is no where to be found when reading the digital version of the comic although the AR features do work if you hold up your iphone to your ipad LOL.

Now on to what is really important. The comic:

OMFG, I think Magneto put it best when he said Scott was sounding like him. I have to side with the Avengers here all the way. Scott has totally flipped if he thinks he can control the Phoenix.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2012
    If you were not distracted by it, then great. But to find it distracting doesn't mean that I am reading the wrong thing, or that I don't understand that I am reading a big, commercial comic with a big, corporate parent. All that is clear from the cover and the credits page. I don't think it is too much to ask to not have the narrative intruded upon. It doesn't have to be high art for me to not want junk superimposed over the art. I mean, seriously, when have we ever seen a publisher do that? It looks worse than tacky, it looks amateur.

Simply put: that's the space I paid my four bucks for. That is the content i bought. It would be the same if, say, I bought a season of Mad Men on DVD and the AMC bug still appeared in the lower third from time to time. You know what? I'm not watching it on TV. I bought it. I don't agree that if I am distracted by it I just am not liking it enough to begin with. Rather, I can like ot fine, but still not want this extra noise added for a gimmick. Again, we're not talking about promos and distractions on TV, where I am giving my eyeballs to something free. I bought this book, and after decades of not superimposing junk over the art, they are now doing so. And I think that matters.

I would feel differently if I were looking at free preview pages online. Embed whatever watermarks you want on that. This is the comic I bought in print, and I expect that content to be the pages the creators produced.

I would feel the same if the bar code got printed on a story page. Or the indicia. Or an ad. Keep that outside noise out of the content. Because, to me, that is all that AR is. It pulls focus on a page turn. It breaks up the flow of full bleed pages. It is, simply, in the context of an otherwise professionally produced comic by very talented people, a moment of tone deaf noise added to the signal. It's bad comics- It looks like something added after the fact by someone who doesn't understand how comics work. And it's a bummer.

I wish they had, instead, had whatever these extra things were just be things that you can move into from the free digital copy, and then leave the print alone. But I suppose that wouldn't be enough of a hook for new users to sign up for the Marvel App. But you know what? I didn't pay my four books to try to be sold on an App. I bought a comic book. And I would rather the ads stay on the ad pages.
  • Options
    I didn't realise the green hulk was an avenger again (except for a certain movie)?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @David_D : you're so full of........insight....again..... ^:)^

@popcornsamurai : thanks for showing off the swag - like it B-)

Since I'm going all digital on this one I won't be bothered by AR logos. I wonder though, if and how Marvel will incorporate such logos/features in future trades/HCs.

I will test drive the Marvel AR app.

• Options
    David AMC is not free. The whole point of the AR program is to get people to go to the comic shop. When I was at Wondercon, at the Marvel digital panel, they were speaking to us about the AR program and someone asked if the AR would work on the digital version and they looked at him with confusion and disdain. It does work, but it is very clear that this little gimmick is Marvel trying to find reasons for people to visit the shop and buy the physical copy. I bought the physical copy only to get the little bit if swag and I also wanted to see if anyone else showed up. But I will continue to buy the physical copy if they keep giving a free code away for the digi since I then have a way to make some if my money back trading in the copies later.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    David you are so negative ;) ;) ;) I just can't stand it ;) (I think I got this from you a day or so ago) :)

I couldn't agree more. I have been against the AR gimmick from the instant it was shown at SXSW and I have been completely against this AvX event that is completely built up by Marvel themselves, not the fans. I'm not surprised the launch party was underwhelming while Marvel is claiming this is THE GREATEST THING EVAR!!1! and how every fan is buying this in triplicate! B.S. The books themselves are way underwhelming and weak and like I said before I can't see how they can really do anything major with this whole thing without alienating fans of one or the other and with the Avengers film coming up it seems like they will have to be on the "winning" side. IMO it is all just a manufactured hype/money generator with close to no substance. I'd love to be wrong but I just don't see it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    David AMC is not free. The whole point of the AR program is to get people to go to the comic shop. When I was at Wondercon, at the Marvel digital panel, they were speaking to us about the AR program and someone asked if the AR would work on the digital version and they looked at him with confusion and disdain. It does work, but it is very clear that this little gimmick is Marvel trying to find reasons for people to visit the shop and buy the physical copy. I bought the physical copy only to get the little bit if swag and I also wanted to see if anyone else showed up. But I will continue to buy the physical copy if they keep giving a free code away for the digi since I then have a way to make some if my money back trading in the copies later.
    If that is what it is supposed to do, then it is a fine goal.

Here's the problem: I went to a comic shop. I paid 4 bucks for the comic. To get it right away, I even skipped waiting for DCBS, so this (like Walking Dead and Saga) is one of the rare books I waited to get off the rack in the shop.

And then the comic has promotional junk in the art, that I guess is meant to get people to get into the shops and buy comics? Honestly, if Marvel continues to go this way, I will likely either switch to digital or trades that I would order from DCBS or Amazon, to avoid it. So if this is supposed to make me focus on buying in the shop, it is not working for me. I also question whether- whatever they said in the panel- this is really about the good of the local shop. I think they are doing everything they can to try to get everyone to be Marvel App users, because that is where they want to start reaching their customers, but that is a different topic. I haven't used the AR logo, as I don't want to encourage it by adding traffic, but I am guessing none of these logos lead to a comic shop locator to help you find places to buy more comics, right? Once you've used the logo and are on the Marvel App, then you are now just clicks away from buying related comics digitally. Is that *really* to help the shops?

At the end of the day, it just looks bad. I mean, look at that page of the Phoenix energy in space-- a black star field and then the red AR in the lower corner. It makes that panel look like a sneaker ad or something. Is that good comics? Should I be concerned that they want to sell more comics, to other people, that I should accept that they are injecting a promotional gimmick into the comic itself? I'm the end user. I'm consuming the product. At that point it should be about entertaining me, not about trying to sell to other people.

And, while comparisons to other mediums never exactly match up, sure, fine. AMC is not free. A tiny fraction of your cable bill that pays for a bunch of channels goes to it. Switch the example to NBC if you would like. But the point is, when AMC, or NBC, show you a piece of content via broadcast or their "free" (with your cable subscription) on demand service, there are ads and promos and bugs on the screen. We're used to that. That is a norm. But if you buy an episode of one of their shows on iTunes, there is none of that. Because now you've spent two bucks for a single episode (more, likely, than the fraction of your cable bill that goes to a whole month of their service). You have paid real money to watch the best version of that thing you can. They don't have ads you can't skip, lower third promos for other shows or network logos because they know the consumer would be pissed. The same goes for premium channels you pay a la carte for, like HBO. You'll notice that- unlike SyFy or AMC, HBO content airs with no interruption or intrusion. As it should be. Because, whether it is an episode via iTunes or Amazon, or a premium channel like HBO, you bought this content. You should just get a clean version of the thing you bought. And that is a norm. And, I think, a fair expectation.

The reason why, despite this being a thread that should be more about what happened in the comic, I am going on about this, is that I think to ignore the format change to include the AR logo is to bury the lead. If this is what they are doing now. If they are embedding logos in the interest of getting people to their App at the expense of the flow of the story, then how Marvel does their print comics has just changed. And they are now out of the norm. And they have, I think, violated an expectation of what we as consumers can expect to get for our four bucks. To me, unfortunately, that is the main thing that happened in AvX #1. And, sure, it also looks like the Avengers and X-Men are going to fight some.

I would rather them team up and fight the logo ;)
  • Options
    I have a great, super small, local shop that has been around for a long time and does pretty much everything right by their customers. The owner refused to carry the "bundle" packs from DC with the digital download, and he also had refused to carry the Marvel books with coupons/codes for free downloads... that was his choice and made sense because digital was not in his best interest nor was it helpful or useful for him at all. But he had a choice, not one customer was upset by this and in fact supported him fully on it. He wasn't alone a few other comic shop owners were doing the same thing. I think Marvel/DC saw and heard from shop owners about this (I know this group was pretty vocal and have to imagine they weren't alone). The solution. Don't make it an option. Marvel has now forced these folks' hands by virtue of even selling Marvel books and going further to swipe customers away. That partly gets into a different discussion, but it is sad to see.

My issue, and my love, is always the art and the artist. David I definitely appreciate what you are saying here (and agree) but Marvel is making it more and more clear that *art* is not their focus or concern. Someone likened it all to Disneyland and I'd agree. Unfortunately the fans don't care, that has been made clear so Marvel is putting less value on it. It is very apparent as the increase of stock photo images, lacking or no backgrounds, and tons of bad Google Sketch-Up prominently displayed in their terrible glory. Not to mention the "rotating" teams and myriad people on single titles. No care or focus is here at all, AR logos are just one more sign that this is their view. I refuse to support that. I wish people cared and demanded better, but that clearly isn't going to happen and as much as it bothers me, the fans and apparently enough "artists" are out there that don't.
  • Options
    It is a bit gimmicky putting AR logos on a comic, but ultimately it will have about as much effect to me as changing the DC logo to something ultra bland and corporate.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This was okay. Nothing special. I liked the Cyclops/Hope training session. Other than that, it was the first issue of another event.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    All this talk has done nothing but make me want to buy this and see this AR thing for myself. Thanks for making me spend money, guys.

On the other hand, it sounds like a pretty uneventful first issue. :(

@popcornsamurai is that cover the regular cover? It looks pretty sweet with the mix of color and b&w.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Re: Cpt. Carrot - the DC Logo change didn't bother me because it is just a change in detail on the cover. Where logos belong. What Marvel is doing is more like if the new DC Logo launch meant that the splash pages and big reveals inside were tagged (I would say, vandalized) by cut-and-paste DC logos in some attempt to get people excited about the new logo.

Story pages- particularly inside the panel borders- are simply not promotional real estate. (I would say that parts of the cover are).
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    while I thought the story was ok, not amazing, not horrible, enjoyable to read, was anyone else bugged by the art? it seemed sloppy to me as in it looks like someone with a mild artistic ability drew this. since when do they have oblong shaped heads?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Yeah, throw the first punch at Cap... GREAT idea Scottie.

AR logo or not... Cyclops is still a douche.

Love the panel with Namor smirking at Cyclops' foolish behaviour, knowing how it is going to play out, while the rest of the X-Men look on in disbelief.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Getting past some unfortunate parts of the format and to the story itself-- I will say that, as a positive, it was nice that it had extra pages for that price. I think I may have counted as many as 30 or more story pages. Which is good, as a lot of that was big, whiz-bang Phoenix stuff that went by pretty fast.

One thing that was surprising was that opening page introducing the groups on each side, which would make it seem like there were only five or six X-Men (which, at least since the 1960s, was never a problem that X-books had, too few characters!) Now maybe this was intentional, as the initial Vs. is basically Avengers Vs. the Utopia X-Men (as opposed to the Wolverine group at the school) and more X-Men will be added to the other side of the Vs. as the book goes on, but that was a little surprising. And a point is being made of putting Wolverine and Beast on that line between the two teams, but why not Storm? She joined the adjectiveless Avengers in the last few issues, and despite being pictured on the X-Men side on the cover, she is not in that lineup page and, if I remember right, not in the story. And yet we see her husband matter-of-factly taking part in the Avengers show of force in this issue. Seems an awkward place for him to be. And her absence is a little odd. To be fair, that might all get addressed later, but at the moment it is a little puzzling.

I liked the Cyclops and Captain America encounter. That felt right. And for a little moment, I liked the meta comment of whatever pedestrian falling out a building made about this, finally, being the breaking point for him living in New York.

I do think that moments like the Chrysler Building getting so damaged would mean more if any of that ever stuck. Like the raising of a ninja castle in Hell's Kitchen (wow... I feel ridiculous even just TYPING that), or the near destruction of Madison Square Garden in World War Hulk, all that damage to famous architecture just seems to get better.

So, a start. Neither bad nor all that good. We'll see.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    while I thought the story was ok, not amazing, not horrible, enjoyable to read, was anyone else bugged by the art? it seemed sloppy to me as in it looks like someone with a mild artistic ability drew this. since when do they have oblong shaped heads?
    Good catch. IMO, that's a generous description. Overall, based on the reaction, I'm pleased to be sitting this one out due to the JRJR involvement.

• Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Hmm. I read the first issue, and wasn't too thrilled. This first issue didn't make me want to read 11 more issues of this. If it was five issues, maybe. Maybe.

I should have learned my lesson about this stuff Bendis writes. In six months, someone tell me what happens to Hope.
  • Options
    @ David D. I agree with your view on the story. Storm has become my favorite Marvel Character as I am reading through the x-books and I am very excited to see her make an appearance here. I also agree that C vs. C was the best part of the book. The mid 1980's Scott would not do this but I guess there is a ton of shit that he has been through that I have not read yet so I hope im not to unfair to him.
  • Options
    I love JR Jr. but I don't blame anyone for disliking it. I really like cartoon stuff tho. I would not mind seeing Scottie Young do a Major event title, I think that would be wild.

• Options
    I know it was a bit of a wall-o-text from me above, but yes, the art is terrible. Many of the current Marvel books have seriously just shot for the absolute lowest acceptable bar and not a bit more. There are some exceptions but they are the minority. If my $4 was going toward a standout product with *more* attention to detail and quality then I'd never even care, but to pay a premium for minimum effort I can't do. Someone gave me a digital code and I lost interest in the actual story, there were a few good panels but I'm entirely underwhelmed.
  • Options
    I know it was a bit of a wall-o-text from me above, but yes, the art is terrible. Many of the current Marvel books have seriously just shot for the absolute lowest acceptable bar and not a bit more. There are some exceptions but they are the minority. If my $4 was going toward a standout product with *more* attention to detail and quality then I'd never even care, but to pay a premium for minimum effort I can't do. Someone gave me a digital code and I lost interest in the actual story, there were a few good panels but I'm entirely underwhelmed.
    what is kind of boggles me is that the Infinite digital comic that was released, the art in that was fantastic! If the art in AvX#1 was close to what was in the Infinite comic with Nova, I might actually buy it, but I have to say that I'm glad I just read it at the shop instead of buying it.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited April 2012
    Thought it was okay, there was enough to get me to pick up the next issue.

I did not even notice the AR logo until I read the full page ad at the end of the book. Afterwards I downloaded the app and went back and tried it out, since the app was free I will say it was worth every penny it cost. The effects were interesting and it was a bit of a pain holding my phone on the image long enough for me to see extras but at the same time it was kinda cool. Although on the bio of Hope I wish their was someway to increase the size of the graphic, it was too small on my iPhone. If I was viewing it on an iPad it would of been okay.

I do like that for my 3.99 I got a free digital comic and the "Augmented Reality" experience. I'll take that over some reprints or pages out of the OHOTMU like Marvel has done in the past.
  • Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    what is kind of boggles me is that the Infinite digital comic that was released, the art in that was fantastic! If the art in AvX#1 was close to what was in the Infinite comic with Nova, I might actually buy it, but I have to say that I'm glad I just read it at the shop instead of buying it.

Heartily agree on the Infinite story. Artwork was great and kudos to Marvel for using the digital format so brilliantly. It trod the fine line between traditional comics (which I love) and motion comics (which are a bit 'meh' to me) to great effect.
  • Options
    I have a great, super small, local shop that has been around for a long time and does pretty much everything right by their customers. The owner refused to carry the "bundle" packs from DC with the digital download, and he also had refused to carry the Marvel books with coupons/codes for free downloads... that was his choice and made sense because digital was not in his best interest nor was it helpful or useful for him at all. But he had a choice, not one customer was upset by this and in fact supported him fully on it. He wasn't alone a few other comic shop owners were doing the same thing. I think Marvel/DC saw and heard from shop owners about this (I know this group was pretty vocal and have to imagine they weren't alone). The solution. Don't make it an option. Marvel has now forced these folks' hands by virtue of even selling Marvel books and going further to swipe customers away. That partly gets into a different discussion, but it is sad to see.
    If people are going to support that shop, then what do the digital codes matter? Its another way of consumption. Digital Copies on Blu-Ray and DVDs haven't driven people to iTunes en masse. The Digital Copies are simply Marvel trying to justify their $3.99 price gouging.
  • Options

If people are going to support that shop, then what do the digital codes matter? Its another way of consumption. Digital Copies on Blu-Ray and DVDs haven't driven people to iTunes en masse. The Digital Copies are simply Marvel trying to justify their $3.99 price gouging.
    I don't think that is so much the issue as it at least was the shop owners' *choice* before and since it does have the ability to essentially make his business irrelevant I should not just be subverted instead of handled in some way between Marvel and LCSs. It's kind of a dickish move since it has been (and continues to be) those same shops that support Marvel.

It would be like having a small established store and then the products start coming with coupons for free extras at Walmart. You wouldn't be so keen to carry them, would you?
  • Options

Heartily agree on the Infinite story. Artwork was great and kudos to Marvel for using the digital format so brilliantly. It trod the fine line between traditional comics (which I love) and motion comics (which are a bit 'meh' to me) to great effect.
    I think your quote thing broke when you quoted me haha.
  • Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    Yep. Couldn't get it to work on my phone so just copy and pasted it and forgot to quote it manually. :)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2012
    AvX #0, 1 and 2 are going to 3rd printings and #4 I guess is outselling #3. How good were the retailer incentives and are this many people really buying this?

I looked through #1 and only noticed the AR logo on one page. Anyone else have a hard time getting into JRjr's art in this issue?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/25/avengers-vs-xmen-all-go-third-prints/
  • Options
    DerroldDerrold Posts: 11
    Bought the first two and I'm already selling them and not planning on going anywhere near the rest of the series.
    Storyline was boring, tried so hard to be spectacular and failed miserably.
    JRJR's 'art' is lazy and uninspiring especially for 'marvels event of 2012' I quickly got fed up of seeing Cap look like a 14yr old and everyone having whiskers. Bad show marvel!