Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1415 Talkback - Off the RacksInfinity #1,Itty Bitty Hellboy #1,Trillium #1,Forever Evil #1

Time to talk about some recent comics. In this episode we discuss Infinity #1 from Marvel, Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 from Dark Horse, Trillium #1 from Vertigo, and Forever Evil #1 from DC. (1:22:49)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Jamie, Hate for my first post in ... in a very long time to be a possible correction but isn't the new Captain Universe Tamara Devoux, not Monica Rambeau as you said in this episode? I understnad how the 'fro can confuse :)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Infinity #1 - Galador, why Jonathan..WHY?!

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 - I thought the kids would be all over this but they weren't. I started reading it, hammed up the laughing to get their attention and that's what got them to read it. They love Art & Franco, but I think it being "Hell"boy kinda turned them off. Fun book.

Didn't read Trillium or Forever Evil, which I am slightly interested in.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

Hey Jamie, Hate for my first post in ... in a very long time to be a possible correction but isn't the new Captain Universe Tamara Devoux, not Monica Rambeau as you said in this episode? I understnad how the 'fro can confuse :)

His description of who this Star Brand is was a little off too. He and Nightmask aren't the New Universe originals brought to the Marvel Universe, they were created by a White Event that has gone awry.
  • Options
    Did they ever do buy borrow pants on forever evil?
  • Options
    Greg said:

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 - I thought the kids would be all over this but they weren't. I started reading it, hammed up the laughing to get their attention and that's what got them to read it. They love Art & Franco, but I think it being "Hell"boy kinda turned them off. Fun book.

I wondered about that back when it was announced... would kids be turned off by the "swear" word in the title?
  • Options
    beng5007 said:

I don't think so.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Brack said:

His description of who this Star Brand is was a little off too. He and Nightmask aren't the New Universe originals brought to the Marvel Universe, they were created by a White Event that has gone awry.
    I will double check the Captian Universe, thought she showed up in the Avengers Infinity tie in and it was Monica, and I never said that Starbrand was the orignal but the Hickman was blending the New Universe into the regular continuity
  • Options
    beng5007 said:

Buy would be my scoring and we didnt do the Buy, Borrow, Pants since we all didnt read it
  • Options
    Oh got it! Thanks Jamie D!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    JamieD said:

Brack said:

I will double check the Captian Universe, thought she showed up in the Avengers Infinity tie in and it was Monica, and I never said that Starbrand was the orignal but the Hickman was blending the New Universe into the regular continuity
    Ah, that wasn't how it came across on the podcast to me (it sounded like you were saying Ex Nihilo had brought the New Universe characters into the MU), but it's a Hickman plot, so confusion is to be expected :)
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Should I expect some residuals for the re-air of "Superman in the SIlver Age" episode where I was a guest? I hear that's where the big money is. Thanks for bringing back that blast from the past guys.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

Brack said:

I stand corrected you are correct in that new Captian Universe is Tamara Devoux, thanks for the correction
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2013
    I never know if I'm missing something from Hickman's stories, or if it's just that he writes his characters sort of hollow, so I'm always wishing there was a little more "there" there.

Still, I enjoyed Infinity #1. It's a fun ride and I enjoy seeing so many characters on such a grand galactic scale. I'm liking the two main Avengers titles as well. Still, part of me wants to step back, take it all in . . . basically 20 $3.99 issues at this point, plus Infinity . . . and ask whether or not all of this is really worth it, and wonder just how much of Hickman's story is just complicated for the sake of being complicated. I DO like it overall, and I am going to continue buying and reading it. It IS good. I just wish he'd do smaller-scale stuff. Sometimes those sorts of stories are actually better, even if they aren't about creation and the universe and "building" and "white events" and all sorts of concepts that seem to mean so much that we can hardly coherently understand them. I just hope I get to see Jim Cheung draw Thanos and Thor punching each other.

Also: Jamie deserves a medal for that recap. Nice work, sir!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @Pants
    A suggestion for a future Off the Rack:
    Coming out in 2 weeks is 2000AD prog 1850 which is one of the comic's periodic jumping on points with 5 new stories starting in the anthology title that issue.

Individual issues can be bought digitally from the 2000AD online store
    http://shop.2000adonline.com/categories/comics
    Just a thought.
    ;)
  • Options
    Caliban said:

@Pants
    A suggestion for a future Off the Rack:
    Coming out in 2 weeks is 2000AD prog 1850 which is one of the comic's periodic jumping on points with 5 new stories starting in the anthology title that issue.

Individual issues can be bought digitally from the 2000AD online store
    http://shop.2000adonline.com/categories/comics
    Just a thought.
    ;)

We already have him watching Doctor Who, 2000AD would complete the Brit transformation
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2013
    Black Bolt and his wives goes back to what Hickman did in Fantastic Four/FF. This series is just one piece, I'm sure an important one, in Hickman's epic Marvel tale.

Seeing the past Inhuman kings in Black Bolt's mind reminded me of Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers. He told a story about a forgotten, disgraced Inhuman king. I wonder if that scene from Infinity had anything to do with it?

I agree with Murd that I want my Thanos to be a hands on tyrant. Having super powerful servants is something we've seen as recently as Fear Itself. I hope we don't have to wait six issues to see Thanos get his hands dirty.

I think the Marvel Universe is in a real interesting place. Time is messed up. Displaced characters(Galactus, Spider-Man 2099, etc) Other Earths are intruding into ours. White Events. The Makers are coming. Thanos is attacking. Etc etc

I enjoyed the first issue and I'm excited to see where Hickman takes us.
  • Options
    Ok, my Forever Evil pick is a buy for now. ;)

I do think Marvel is in an I retesting story telling place and not just because time is messed up or the the worlds colliding thing. Which is all great and a bonus to me. Marvel is just telling great stories which interest me personally again.

They really are doing a bang up job right now.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'd also recommend reading the Infinity issues of Avengers/New Avengers. They read like actual chapters of the event. Unlike past event tie ins these issues seem to be an actual part of the story. They're also really, really good!

Murd might really enjoy New Avengers #9 as it gives a mini OHOTMU like entry for each member of The Black Order.
  • Options
    Good recap by Jamie, but I wanted to make one comment on a point I feel is very important.

If I remember correctly the Infinity gems exploding had nothing to do with Cap's memory.

After the New Avengers failed to stop the other planet by using the Infinity Gems the members de used that they must destroy the encroaching world. Cap was against this and wanted them to find another way. The other members basically kicked him out of the group and Dr Strange erases his memory.

I feel this is important because I never believed that Cap would be part of what is basically a Shadow World govt. it was also important because the Beast joined and after all his speeches to Cyclops it made the Beast either the biggest hypocrit or the writer just decided to ignore what happened in X-Men.

Rant over :-)
  • Options
    Kross said:

Good recap by Jamie, but I wanted to make one comment on a point I feel is very important.

If I remember correctly the Infinity gems exploding had nothing to do with Cap's memory.

After the New Avengers failed to stop the other planet by using the Infinity Gems the members de used that they must destroy the encroaching world. Cap was against this and wanted them to find another way. The other members basically kicked him out of the group and Dr Strange erases his memory.

I feel this is important because I never believed that Cap would be part of what is basically a Shadow World govt. it was also important because the Beast joined and after all his speeches to Cyclops it made the Beast either the biggest hypocrit or the writer just decided to ignore what happened in X-Men.

The Infinity Gems exploded(except for the time gem) when Cap tried to push the other universe back using the Infinity Gauntlet.

That's what Jamie D was pointing out when he was describing the scene from Black Bolt's mind.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Infinity Gems exploded(except for the time gem) when Cap tried to push the other universe back using the Infinity Gauntlet.

That's what Jamie D was pointing out when he was describing the scene from Black Bolt's mind.

Yes. I agree. I just wanted to point out that it was Dr Strange who erased Cap's memory.

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Kross said:

Since they started out Infinity with the scene of the Illuminati blowing up that planet I thinking it's going to be important.

Earth is the focal point of the different universes crashing together (an incursion) which is why the Illuminati destroyed that other Earth. (The world they destroyed was also already dead and didn't have any lifeforms on it.) Blowing up that Earth stopped the two universes from being destroyed from the collision.

Maybe that's the reason the Builders are coming to Earth to destroy it. What we don't know is what set the chain reaction of these incursions off. Is it the damage to the time/space continuum?

Oh and just because the Illuminati stopped that one collison from happening doesn't mean there won't be more. Actually I think that was the second or third one. Captain America stopped one with the Infinity Gauntlet which destroyed all but one gem. (I'm thinking that since the Gauntlet doesn't work outside of this Universe the strain of pushing back the other Earth and sealing the dimensional breach caused the gems to break.) I'd have to look it up but the incursion that happened in the first issue of New Avengers where Black Panther meets Black Swan might have been in a different dimension.

So until the Avengers locate the source of the problems the incursions will keep happening and has started happening more frequently.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited September 2013
    Trillium #1 was my personal #1 of the bunch discussed. Art and writing are to my liking.
    Will keep on getting this one.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Good episode as usual guys!
    Infinity #1: BORROW. I did love the artwork, but apocalyptic events happening all over the universe AND the stuff happening in Avengers and New Avengers is just too confusing.
    Itty Bitty Hellboy #1: BORROW. I'm DEFINITELY with MURD on this in that I thought it was just a rehash of stuff they've done before. I didn't laugh at all. I do agree with the rest of the guys that this type of book doesn't have to be in a traditional dark, horror-type milieu, but I really didn't find much funny about the chicken-soup in a suit and the different size boxes.
    Trillium #1: HIGH BORROW: It almost got a buy, but I felt that if I didn't read #2 it wouldn't bother me. I guess it felt more like a TV story that if I didn't get to see the next episode, I could see it in re-runs.
    OH! I didn't read Forever Evil yet...okay...that's all for now...
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    alienal said:

Good episode as usual guys!
    Infinity #1: BORROW. I did love the artwork, but apocalyptic events happening all over the universe AND the stuff happening in Avengers and New Avengers is just too confusing.

It's all one and the same thing. Hickman will bring it all together.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Only of of these I read was Trillium #1, which was a definite BUY for me. I assumed I was just going to wait for the trade to read the rest, but when I saw #2 at the store I picked it up without a second thought. Different from the first issue (no flip book, sorry!), but I dig where the story is going and getting the first hints of how these two characters' worlds come together.
  • Options
    The revelation of the Outsider to be the Alfred Pennyworth of Earth 3 is a nod to the original Outsider who fought Batman and Robin during the Silver Age -- during the years of the New Look, in fact; the mid-60's -- when the Outsider was eventually revealed to be none other than the (at that time) supposedly deceased Alfred!
  • Options
    I also hate for my first comment in a long while to be a correction, but I feel I must. But first, let me say it was another great episode. I'm enjoying both Infinity and Forever Evil so far.

Now, onto the correction. The "trinity" in Trinity War was never Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. It had a dual meaning: 1) the three Justice Leagues being at war with each other over Pandora's Box, and 2) because it revolved around the Trinity of Sin, comprised of Pandora, The Phantom Stranger and The Question. If you read Trinity of Sin: Pandora, that becomes clear. Each one of that trinity was sided with one of the Justice Leagues throughout Trinity War. It had nothing to do with Earth 3 being the "trinity." Pandora's Box was actually a key to opening the gate to that world, and that's what the Trinity of Sin was trying to prevent as part of their collective and individual redemption for their souls.

Just had to clear that up. :)

Keep up the great shows, guys.