Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And the Beat Goes On - Blackman & Williams Leaving Batwoman

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    So it sounds like, in current continuity, weddings that lasted in the last 10 years is holding at one, the one, previously mentioned one: Northstar and his husband.

Quick question on Aquaman and Mera, as I don't read that book: are they married in the New 52 version? I don't remember that from the first issue of the relaunch. Have they got married since? Or was theirs a marriage from prior continuity done away with, like Superman and Lois?
  • Options
    Yes they are married. Although she was formerly married to someone else called xebel who is back. It's complicated.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    beng5007 said:

Yes they are married. Although she was formerly married to someone else called xebel who is back. It's complicated.

I think she's *still* married to Nereus (King of Xebel), and bigamously married to Aquaman.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

beng5007 said:

I think she's *still* married to Nereus (King of Xebel), and bigamously married to Aquaman.
    "What do you say we get married, all three of us?"
    "Why... that would be bigamy!!"
    "Sure it would. It'd be big o' me, too!"
  • Options
    beng5007 said:

No, she wasn’t married to Nereus (Xebel is the name of the colony), only betrothed or engaged to him. But, yes, she is married to Arthur.

If DC were really “making comics for 45-year-olds,” you’d think they’d be all for having a few married heroes, since a good number of 45-year-olds are married. Or is the thinking that 45-year-olds who read comics can’t get a date, much less get married? Or more likely that the 45-year-olds who read comics are looking for escapism from everyday life—especially escapism from everyday married life? ;)

Speaking of escapism, has Mr. Miracle and/or Big Barda shown up in the n52-verse yet? And if so, are they still married?

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited September 2013
    They're in the Earth 2 book...can't remember off hand if it was made clear if they were hitched or not.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    WetRats said:

beng5007 said:

Hot.

PS- "bigamously" is my new adverb for the day. I will try to use it to qualify all my verbs. Even walking.
  • Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Aquaman was the only hero to still be married in the New 52.
  • Options
    beng5007 said:

I thought I read somewhere that Aquaman was the only hero to still be married in the New 52.

Animal Man definitely is. So if Aquaman was revealed to be as well, then that makes 2.

2 out of 52+.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    And now... apparently there is no Aquamarriage.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    That's a shame. Way back during the Great Depression when I was reading Aquaman, his relationship with Mera always struck me as the perfect marriage metaphor. Seemed like no matter what issue I picked up, he was always in hot water (pardon the pun) with her or she was just pissed at him for some reason.

And that...to me...is love. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    WetRats said:

well I guess that answers that.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Looks like Williams and Blackman could be off the book before #26...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47792

• Options
    Doesn't a same-sex wedding in Gotham have major geographical ramifications? I mean, we don't know for SURE what state it's in (NJ? NY? Something else?) Granted, we can only assume that marriage laws are the purview of the states in the DCU (no indication otherwise), and of course there is no way to know WHICH states in the DCU allow same-sex marriage, but I imagine the sticky issue of where Gotham is located would come up here and I am not sure DC wants to deal with that officially
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    While I get that DC is well within their rights to dismiss creators from a book, the way they've been going about it seems very unprofessional to me. When that many creators take to the internet and openly discuss behind the scenes goings on, then at some point DC management isn't handling things well.

For them to not publish two issues already in the can simply looks petty. They were clearly okay with them before. Okay, fine, you're not happy when creators mouth off about how they've been treated. You're grown-ups - publish the issues and move on.

It's a shame that there's all this negativity now, because Andreyko is a good writer. He may very well deliver better stories than we've been getting. I've loved the art on Batwoman, but even going back to the Rucka run, I've been baffled by the stories we've been subjected to: shape-shifters, evil water spirits... I'm way behind on the title, so maybe things improved, but all the gorgeous splash pages in the world can't convince me that Batwoman should be dealing with that nonsense.

Back to the maturity issue - I feel more and more like the company is being run by a bunch of emotionally immature individuals who can't even see the story potential of a character being married and having a family. Much of what I see from them these days feels joyless, as if it was written by an angry teenager, and not a grown person.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    WetRats said:

Wow this is stupid. "heroes shouldn't get married"... not even kings and queens or characters that have been married for decades.