Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman Earth One

Who is going to be picking this up? I'm on the fence and not really sure if I want to read another origin story, Year One is all I want to consider as far as Batman and his origin, even if the new book is "earth one"

Comments

• Options
    i am. i didn't purchase superman earth one, but borrowed it from the library and read it and really liked it. batman is my favorite hero, and geoff johns is one of my favorite writers, so it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I have it in my Amazon list but I don't really understand the "Earth One" bit not being a DC follower. Is it like an elseworlds thing or what? If I knew more about what it is or isn't I'd be able to make my mind up easier. The blurb on Amazon has me interested but doesn't explain enough.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I picked up the Superman one and really enjoyed it, so I've had it ordered from amazon since it became available
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I am definitely not the target audience for this.

Yet another slightly different Batman origin tweaked to appeal to a younger generation.

Whee.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm over Mr. Johns.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Despite not liking what I read of the Superman one, I'll read Batman: Earth One.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I will be reading it from my local library.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really disliked the Superman one. I might pick this up if I see it at the library, but I'm not going to actively seek it out.
  • Options
    I really disliked the Superman one. I might pick this up if I see it at the library, but I'm not going to actively seek it out.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Were you able to get through the entire thing, or after awhile did you skim?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I agree with WetRats that I think I am not the target audience for these, just as I am not intrigued by the Marvel Season One books. Personally, I am sick to death of origin stories. Especially when it comes to iconic characters whose origins have been told and retold endlessly.

Now, that said, give me a funky killer Elseworlds, and I am game. But my understanding of these Earth One books are that they are basically doing Ultimate DC: Trying to make young, modern, relateable, book market friendly versions of the big characters. Nothing at all wrong with that, but it is nothing I feel I need.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I got through it. I liked the characterizations of the Daily Planet staffers pretty well, and the idea that Clark could have excelled in literally any field he chose, but the changes they make to Krypton's destruction (trying to be vague here) took away all of the pathos of their story, and therefore a lot of Superman's, too, I thought.
  • Options

I got through it. I liked the characterizations of the Daily Planet staffers pretty well, and the idea that Clark could have excelled in literally any field he chose, but the changes they make to Krypton's destruction (trying to be vague here) took away all of the pathos of their story, and therefore a lot of Superman's, too, I thought.
    Interesting. Maybe I'll give it one more shot, just to fill in the gaps.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I might check this out. I know that the Superman book was pretty popular but didn't it seem very light in both new concepts and in actual pages. I must have read that thing in like 30 minutes. Plus the price doesn't seem right to me. Glad I borrowed it from my library.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I really liked Superman of Earth One. I don't remember much about it now, but I do remember liking it.