Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1426 Talkback: Top 5 Animals in Comics

2»

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    5. Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew - The wacky characters, the cool designs, the terrible animal pun names... loved this book as a kid. The first issue of this I ever read is one of the few books where I can still remember exactly where I bought it (a tiny little mom & pop store in equally tiny Monson, Maine).

4. Krypto the Super Dog - Because no conversation about comic book animals can ever be complete without naming the best pet in all of superhero comics.

3. Hobbes - Not only because he represents the wonder of childhood, but because I find it hilarious that Calvin would invent a friend who gets the better of him more often than not. The kid can't even win against his own psyche!

2. Miyamoto Usagi - This almost feels like a cheat, because you don't have to read a Usagi Yojimbo story very long before you completely forget that all of the characters are anthropomorphic - and rather cartoony, at that - animals.

1. Scrooge McDuck - Under the right pen (Carl Barks, Don Rosa, sometimes William Van Horn, and I'm sure there are others whose work I've enjoyed but I can't name them right now), a Scrooge McDuck story is the perfect mix of comedy and adventure. Barks and Rosa were both particularly skillful in this, and about the closest thing American comics have ever produced to Herge's Tintin.

Honorable mentions:
    Snoopy
    Spider-Ham
    TMNT
    Hukka from Atari Force (even if only for his battle with that robot, BOB!)
    Any number of Warner Bros. or Hanna Barbera animals (who I tend to think more of as TV/movie characters than comics, but they have had many comic adventures)
    K9 (ditto; plus, he's actually a robot, not a dog)
    Lockheed
    Matthew the Raven
    Sam Simeon (though like @nweathington, I'm more interested in Angel O'Day)
    Koj
    Hoppy the Marvel Bunny
    Devil Dinosaur
  • Options
    My top 5:
    5. Titano
    4. Rocket Raccon
    3. Krypto
    2. Howard the Duck
    1. Captain Carrot

Also, while I love listening to the alternates, I felt like Murd went too far. Referencing a character you find in a reference in book on comics, but I feel like you've never actually read, veers from my favorite animals in comics to 'my obsessive list of every animal to appear in a comic book is longer than your list.' territory.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    gothamkid said:

My top 5:
    5. Titano
    4. Rocket Raccon
    3. Krypto
    2. Howard the Duck
    1. Captain Carrot

Also, while I love listening to the alternates, I felt like Murd went too far. Referencing a character you find in a reference in book on comics, but I feel like you've never actually read, veers from my favorite animals in comics to 'my obsessive list of every animal to appear in a comic book is longer than your list.' territory.

"disagree"

I love Murd's ramblings.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited October 2013
    HOBBES!!!!

OPUS!!!

SNOOPY!!!

ODDIE!!!!

• Options
    do these count?

• Options
    i think you guys missed this one

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    gothamkid said:

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

gothamkid said:

• Options
    Oh, wait. I could've clicked that "Agree" button, right?

chris
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Mr_Cosmic said:

gothamkid said:

So thats where it went
  • Options
    I have to offer a correction to the statement that Comet the Super-Horse was the only member of the Legion of Super-Pets that was not Kryptonian-based. There was one other member who could make that claim: Proty II, the protoplasmic pet of Chameleon Boy, who was inducted into the Super-Pets after a series of trials in Adventure Comics #322.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2013
    Beverly Switzer, in the Howard The Duck comics, was never a reporter. In fact, she had no real steady employment at all, but was a working girl in the sense that she did whatever fell her way, including waiting on tables and doing the occasional modeling session for student artists.
  • Options
    Super-Turtle was a filler strip that appeared in many of the DC comics during the 50's and 60's, written and drawn by cartoonist Henry Boltinoff.
  • Options

I have to offer a correction to the statement that Comet the Super-Horse was the only member of the Legion of Super-Pets that was not Kryptonian-based. There was one other member who could make that claim: Proty II, the protoplasmic pet of Chameleon Boy, who was inducted into the Super-Pets after a series of trials in Adventure Comics #322.

I actually did qualify my statement with the clause, "With the exception of Proty II...". Timestamp 32:23. Just sayin'.
  • Options

I actually did qualify my statement with the clause, "With the exception of Proty II...". Timestamp 32:23. Just sayin'.
    D'oh!! So you did. I completely missed it the first time around. My error, then.
  • Options
    I had a whole list of characters that nobody mentioned, which has been whittled right down having read this forum... the only one that demands repeating again and again - Hobbes (props to @caliban for getting there first).
    It just leaves me to add:

Jaxxon from the Marvel Star Wars series (who predates Bucky O'hare)

And just for laughs, the monkey from 'Hellboy: Box full of Evil"

• Options
    DUH! FREAKIN' MOUSE GUARD!?!?!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Catching up! Okay, I tried to limit my choices to animals that have actually appeared in comics or comic strips that I actually read.
    5. Batcow (fairly recent Morrison Batman and Robin comics)
    4. Krypto: when I was a kid (well, 10 years old), I read this story about Krypto contracting some virus that gave him super-rabies or something that turned him evil and ferocious. That story has stuck with me since then...more than 40 years.
    3. Redwing: Falcon's partner. Oh, c'mon Redwing is so cool. Tracker, spy, messenger - he does it all!
    2. Zabu: Ah, who wouldn't want a saber-tooth tiger as a pet? Not me, but Zabu is awesome!
    1. SNOOPY!: yeah, he sometimes acts all too-human but, when it's dinner time, we all know he's a dog.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    rebis said:

Zok and Igoo rule!