Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1213 Talkback: Previews

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
What time is it? It's Previews time! (The Management is aware of the repetitiveness of the descriptions for Previews episodes, but hopes you'll listen and enjoy them anyway.) (1:41:32)

Listen here.

Comments

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I think enough of us are happy to get a new Previews episode that we don't mind if you're farming out the descriptions to the Department of Redundancy Department. :D
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    hahahahaha.... after reading the description you put on the Facebook entry, I just had to skip to the end and hear the ending. That was the best ending ever.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Thanks for doing the previews episodes each & every month CGS. Previews is the best $1.12 you can spend from DCBS.

Matthew
    I think that Alien adaptation by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson was published by Heavy Metal. And from what I've always heard about it, I'm surprised it took years for Mike's library's copy to fall apart, because due to binding problems pretty much all of them fell apart sooner or later, which is what makes it so hard to find today.
  • Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    You're freakin' kidding me! Previews is only $1.12 at DCBS?! I have to pay full cover at my LCS...

I was disappointed to see Drusilla was just cancelled. I'm really digging Angel & Faith.

Curious about Mind the Gap, too...
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Since I like to play along with the episodes I go to diamond-previews-catalog
    My only access to Previews (living in Switzerland)
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I think that Alien adaptation by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson was published by Heavy Metal. And from what I've always heard about it, I'm surprised it took years for Mike's library's copy to fall apart, because due to binding problems pretty much all of them fell apart sooner or later, which is what makes it so hard to find today.
    I got the 1979 German edition of the book. Bought the day it came out (I was 13 then...omg...I feel old...) Still in mint condition (the book...me?...not so much...)

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I just (gently) checked mine on the shelf, and it is "Heavy Metal Presents" and published by Simon & Schuster. Cover price of $3.95!

I wish I had the money for that Dave Stevens: Stories and Covers book from IDW. I bet that'll be gorgeous.

I may pony up for their G.I. Joe Treasury Edition, though. The Archie: Best of Dan DeCarlo treasury was gorgeous and well-put together, a far cry from the old Marvel and DC tabloids from yesteryear. And I got the Marvel Treasury Edition reprint of G.I. Joe #1 in my Christmas stocking as a little kid (my parents wouldn't let me buy the actual issue at the $1.50 cover price, but Santa came through on the over-sized reprint which was also cover priced at $1.50!), so I'm not only used to seeing the story at that size, but I think it looks really nice that way.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Walt drew the Alien adaptation while the movie was in production, as was usually the case during those days of adaptations. He had very few stills to work from as reference, and I don’t think they had the final script either. He didn’t even know exactly what the alien looked like. That’s why the book varies so much from the film.

Jamie, while Eric Powell may not talk much at cons, he was a great interview. He would be good to get on the show.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    The Invisibles Omnibus by Grant Morrison....
    61 issues for $90.00 through DCBS. Whoa
  • Been a long time since I listened to a CGS Previews ep -- in the past, it has proved hazardous to my wallet! - but I enjoyed this one.

I appreciate all the emphasis on kid-friendly titles this time around. Maybe Jamie can answer this, but is the Strawberry Shortcake a good series? I've considered getting it for my 4-1/2-year-old daughter, but am a little reluctant to get what seems to me a stereotypical "girl's" title. (What we really need is a Wonder Woman title where WW is wearing a star-spangled skirt instead of a high-cut bathing suit, but that's another matter entirely...) Is there something there beyond just cute fluff? I don't mean really meaty stories and themes, of course, but something?

I tried (and am trying) to get her into the Dorothy of Oz prequel series currently being released -- we read the Marvel Shanower/Young adaptations of the first three Baum Oz books and enjoyed them (I thought we did, anyway - she wouldn't let me read with character voices!) -- but so far she's not interested in even giving it a try. Anna and Frogga sounds promising; maybe I'll give that a whirl. She also liked the DC Super Hero Pets book that I got her, so maybe that "Hero Pets" comic would be a hit, too.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Planetoid looks really good.

Image does a really good job pushing new comics but then the following month they get a half page solicit mixed in with the rest. I'd think things like Fatale and Saga would get pimped a little harder to keep their momentum going(not that they aren't doing well).

Of course The Mighty Thor Annual caught my eye.

I looked at some preview pages for Iron: Or The War After and it looked really nice. I might add this book if my budget allows it.
  • BrotherDBrotherD Posts: 1
    Thanks for the episode! I phased out of comics last year due to financial reasons and a number of other real life "stuff," but since things have evened out, I tuned in, and then went to the local comic shop to pick up a Previews catalog for myself! I'm definitely interested in that Prophecy mini-series (how is Marz going to mix Red Sonja and Dr. West?!?) . . .

Stay loose . . .
    A note to the shiznit - I am glad I'm not the only one really digging on Batman and Robin. I keep seeing mixed reviews on that and I don't know if it's because people are comparing it to Scott Snyder's Batman (which would make anything suffer) or because they have bad taste, but I look forward to reading that book every month.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Liked that short ending, Pants! I hope you get over your cold soon. I also like how y'all went over the Previews catalogue backwards! That was actually kind of refreshing! Well, since I haven't gotten my $1.12 Previews catalogue yet, I'll be listening to the Ep. again when it comes...
    Thanks!
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Absalom is one of the best things 2000AD has done in the last year. I'm hoping to get round to annotating the two stories they have done so far
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Haven't listened to whole show yet, is there a Muddle the Murd I need to add to the archive?
  • Haven't listened to whole show yet, is there a Muddle the Murd I need to add to the archive?
    Nope--citing exhaustion and/or illness, we (i.e., Pants) decided to miss out the Muddle for this episode.
    Pants was muddled.
  • When Mike highlighted "The Invincible Gene Colan" book I was reminded of how much I appreciate when he mentions comics industry/history books. I never realized there were so many great publications available. No surprise I've become a big fan of TwoMorrows Publishing. So, thanks Mike!
  • I think that Alien adaptation by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson was published by Heavy Metal. And from what I've always heard about it, I'm surprised it took years for Mike's library's copy to fall apart, because due to binding problems pretty much all of them fell apart sooner or later, which is what makes it so hard to find today.
    My library had a habit of rebinding everything as soon as they got it. So it was hardcover and plain blue... sad...

• When Mike highlighted "The Invincible Gene Colan" book I was reminded of how much I appreciate when he mentions comics industry/history books. I never realized there were so many great publications available. No surprise I've become a big fan of TwoMorrows Publishing. So, thanks Mike!
    I'm glad it helps!
    It has become my burning mission to get the fen to read something in addition to That famous barely worth a buck Previews!
  • Mike -- agreed. I'll do what I can to spread the word :)
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Mike you were wondering if Dick Huemer and Paul Murry were some of Disney's Nine Old Men, they were not. Murry actually moved to comics and worked briefly under another animator Freddie Moore. Dick Huemer was a story man who worked on Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland. He worked on Dumbo with a man by the name of Joe Grant, who worked for the studio up until his death just a few years ago in his late 90's he even worked on a few Pixar films.

The Nine Old Men were, Les Clark, Woolie Reitherman, Ward Kimball, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, John Lounsberry, Milt Kahl, Eric Larson and Marc Davis. If you ever want to know more about them there's a terrific autobiography by John Canemaker. It's a little pricey but worth picking up.

• Thanks dar! I used to know a ton about those fellas but forgot so much
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Iron: Or, the War After is my pick of the month (year?) and I am so excited to get this and just bathe in the artwork for days.

Anna and Frogga looks interesting and fun but a little too sarcastic from my read through of a preview. I may end up picking it up at some point if I find it cheaply enough.

Archaia and Drawn and Quarterly are really stealing the show for me lately. I am even more cutting back my monthly comics to the bone and picking up trades and especially works put out by these two companies. Image, IDW, Aspen, and AP still are hanging around for a few titles but that is about it. My love is art and I am getting it in spades with the amazing stuff being put out right now by Archaia and D&Q. Supplemented with a few standouts and new monthlies and I am having the best time lately!
  • AprecheApreche Posts: 7
    @MikeGallagher you went out of your way to mention all the comics about comics that were in this Previews. Yet, you completely missed Bakuman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakuman

It's a manga about two kids who try to make a manga that will get published in Shonen Jump. It's simultaneously a drama about them and their personal lives while also giving a behind the scenes look about how things work in the manga industry. It's by the same people who brought you Death Note. You can tell that even though it is fiction, a lot of the story is straight from their personal experience.