Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Now One Year Anniversary

Last year on this Wednesday we saw the release of Red She-Hulk 58 and Uncanny Avengers 1. Marvel Now celebrates its one year anniversary today. What are your thoughts on the books YOU ARE READING, overall concept, creative teams, etc? And keep away from new 52 comparisons. Plenty of that elsewhere. Stay on point, jagoffs. :)

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I know there were some questions if certain titles like Hawkguy and Captain Marvel counted as part of Marvel Now or not, I'm including them.

Avengers/New Avengers - Right now Hickman's got me by the balls. I've liked the art throught both series. Big ideas, enourmous epic story that reminds me of classic Avengers stories like the Kree/Skrull War.

Nova/Guardians of The Galaxy - Thes are both just good cosmic fun. Nova makes a good all ages book from what I've seen so far. I'm absolutely in love with Sara Pichelli and waiting to see how Angela's presence plays out in GotG.

Fearless Defenders - Silney's interior art has been good but I would love to see what what Mark Brooks could do. I like the Valkyrie/Annabelle connection and the story so far does bring back some nostalgia of reading Defenders back in the 70's.

Hawkeye - ^:)^

Captain Marvel - My only gripe is the art. Dexter Soy I like. Andrade took a while to get used to, but the more I looked into his art the more I liked it. I try not bash on the artists but it's really hard because everything else I've seen artwise almost made me drop the book. I know some people are not big on KSD's writing, but look at what she's done. Carol has a huge following now, it's bigger than its ever been and the book may not go down as one of the greats, it is a good story and I'm glad that I can give this my daughter and nieces to read.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man - Right now this on par with Hawkeye for me.

Fantastic Four - The first family adventuring through time and space...this is classic Fantastic Four and it has been nothing but pure fun.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Greg said:

Nova/Guardians of The Galaxy - Thes are both just good cosmic fun. Nova makes a good all ages book from what I've seen so far. I'm absolutely in love with Sara Pichelli and waiting to see how Angela's presence plays out in GotG.

Had a question about Nova and the NOW stuff.

First I am really enjoying Nova. The latest issue had a certain kinetic hero show up which I was glad to see. However this particular person has been through a lot of stuff of the last 8 years or so, he seemed to have been retconned did anyone else notice this? Am I not seeing it right?

In my opinion he had the most character growth over the last decade and always enjoyed when he showed up.

Sorry for the vague.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Thor GoT is the very best comic I read last year. nuff said.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited October 2013
    Krescan said:

Greg said:

Had a question about Nova and the NOW stuff.

First I am really enjoying Nova. The latest issue had a certain kinetic hero show up which I was glad to see. However this particular person has been through a lot of stuff of the last 8 years or so, he seemed to have been retconned did anyone else notice this? Am I not seeing it right?

In my opinion he had the most character growth over the last decade and always enjoyed when he showed up.

Sorry for the vague.

I did notice, he looked much younger and and he seemed much more happy than he has been, almost as if Stamford never happened. Much different from his appearnces in Avengers Academy.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    As a reminder here are the Wave One and Two books:

October 2012

Uncanny Avengers
    A+X

November 2012

All-New X-Men
    Captain America
    Deadpool
    Fantastic Four and FF
    Indestructible Hulk
    Iron Man
    Thor: God of Thunder
    X-Men Legacy

December 2012

Avengers and New Avengers
    Avengers Arena
    Cable and X-Force
    Thunderbolts

January 2013

Morbius: The Living Vampire
    Savage Wolverine
    The Superior Spider-Man
    Uncanny X-Force
    Young Avengers

February 2013

Fearless Defenders
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Nova
    Secret Avengers
    Uncanny X-Men

May 2013
    X-Men

Other on-going series
    Avengers Assemble
    Captain Marvel
    Journey into Mystery
    Red She-Hulk
    Wolverine and the X-Men

Mini Series

Thanos Rising

Wave Two

New on-going series:

July 2013

Avengers A.I.
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Superior Spider-Man Team-Up

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What I've read:

Red She-Hulk: I only read the first two issues. I thought they were OK but not good enough to keep reading the series. I didn't hate it as much as others did.

Uncanny Avengers: I read the first HC when it came out and it was fine. Not exactly what I was expecting but not bad either. The next story with Kang looks interesting and I may pick up the HC/TPB.

All-New X-Men: This is one of the best books to come out of Marvel NOW. Bendis can be hit or miss with me but he knocks it out of the park with his X-books. The idea of the old X-Men coming to the present is an interesting one and Bendis really has fun with how the characters interact.

Fantastic Four and FF: Matt Fraction is a great writer but his run on these books haven't been exactly fantastic(pun?). There are some interesting connections between the two books(like old Johnny) but not enough to keep me jazzed. Bendis and Hickman do a better job juggling interlocking story lines in their two books.

Indestructible Hulk: This started off pretty ho hum for me but Waid has really hit his stride. The book is crazy fun and he does some interesting things with Banner/Hulk that I haven't seen before.

Thor: God of Thunder: I read the first HC, loved it, and will be picking up the next volume when I can.

Avengers and New Avengers: Hickman is my favorite comic book writer. He writes huge, mind numbing stories that all seem to come together in the end. His run on the FF books are amazing and I've been just as entertained with his Avengers books.

Thunderbolts: I read the first few issues...but "it wasn't my cup of tea."

The Superior Spider-Man: I fell for the hype and started reading ASM in the late 690s. I loved the big reveal. The new direction this book has taken is fun and it's Slott at his best.

Fearless Defenders: I stuck with this series for a while but it just fell off my list over time. I had to make room and this book just didn't make the cut. Not a bad read at all and I hope to pick up the back issues or TPBs.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova: "It could be crap on a cracker and I'd still buy it." Both books have been a lot of fun and I'm happy to see them getting the attention and push they deserve. I do miss my DnA though.

Uncanny X-Men: I actually enjoy this book more than All New X-Men. Great, great, story and Bendis does a fantastic job connecting the two books.

X-Men: So far OK. I started getting it because of Coipel's art but the story has been just interesting enough to keep me around.

Thanos Rising: I didn't care for the chatty Death but besides that a good mini with wonderful art.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man: I'm really enjoying this book as well. Funny and great art.

Hawkeye: Not sure if it counts as Marvel Now but it's obviously an elite book.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    The only Marvel Now books I've picked up and read are the Hulk titles (Red She Hulk and Incredible Hulk) and Daredevil.

II'm now down to Hulk. I got so far behind on Daredevil that I decided to let it go.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Here's what I've been following:

Hawkeye - My favorite Marvel book, probably my favorite monthly comic of all right now. Compelling characters, stories that are more down to earth and (comparatively) quieter but still have big stakes, art that fits the mood. Fantastic all around.

Captain Marvel - Nice balance of cosmic high adventure and down-to-earth character focused stuff. The relationships between Carol and her friends and neighbors ring true to me (I especially like her interactions with Jessica Drew, her new assistant whose name I forget right now, and the little girl next door). And I really like that the art doesn't look like anything else Marvel puts out right now. This is top of the pile on weeks that don't involve Hawkeye.

Daredevil - Just as good as when it began. I really thought I would've lost interest by now, but Waid hasn't lost a step. Samnee's art is dynamite, too... a worthy successor to what Rivera and Martin were doing when this launched.

FF - Wasn't able to get into Fantastic Four, but this has been pretty fun. The mishmash of characters interacts in ways I both expect and didn't see coming at all (loved the bit in the last issue with the Impossible Man's son and Luna, for instance). The Allreds are the perfect complement to the story. Not sure if I'll continue on when Fraction leaves, though. We'll see.

Fearless Defenders - Another oddball group of characters I'd have never thought to team up, but Cullen Bunn is really making it work. Hell, even Shamrock showed up in the last issue, and I really hope she sticks around!

Superior Foes of Spider-Man - The lower-tier super-villain heist/caper/comedy book I didn't know I was looking for but now kinda wonder how I got along without for so long.

Avengers Assemble - Gave it a shot because KSD was writing it and stayed with it because it's another dose of Carol, Jessica, and/or Clint every month.

Indestructible Hulk - Read the first 3 issues, liked them, dropped it because I wanted to get it in trades instead, haven't done that yet, need to get around to it.

All New X-Men - Read the first two trades and liked them, plan on continuing. Kitty-as-teacher to some of the people who taught/inspired her is a great dynamic.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Read and liked the first collection. Always room for some space opera in my comics diet. Plan on continuing.
  • Options
    For the most part, I've just continued on with the titles I was already getting, which were mostly the various Avengers books, most of which I've enjoyed. The exceptions are Avengers Arena, which I very much dislike, and A+X which feels forced and contrived.

Captain America: a disappointment since Brubaker left.

FF: dropped after Hickman left; no interest in the Allred version.

Daredevil: a delight and an absolute must-read each month. I haven't enjoyed this book so much in decades!

All-New X-Men: A very pleasant surprise; I'm getting the collections.

Captain Marvel: Been reading the recent crossovers with the Avengers -- not impressed. Hate the costume, hate Danvers as Captain Marvel, don't care for the writing, haven't seen any art here that I like.

Superior Spider-Man: no interest.

Deadpool: really no interest.

Thanos Rising: Worst Thanos story ever.

Nova; Guardians Of The Galaxy: haven't been bothering with, but have this itch that I really might be missing something where Guardians is concerned.

The two that I haven't been getting due to tight finances, and which I regret not being able to get are Hawkeye and Indestructible Hulk.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Glad to see a lot of love for Superior Foes of Spider-Man.
    I can't say enough good things about this book. Every week I rave about it with the guys at my LCS.

Marvel takes a ton of my ca$h. Marvel Now has taken even more of my money. At a time when cash is tight, that is not an easy task. AND they have made me happy to give it to them.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I should be reading more Marvel, but I can't get past the price point for many of the books. That said:

Daredevil: Love it. I didn't really like the everything that came after Bendis' run as I felt like they were trying too much to keep the tone Bendis created. Waid has accepted what has come before and yet he manages to create a DD that is its own.

Superior Spider-Man: Am I happy with Sp-ock? No, not really. But these are serialized funny books. Don't take it too seriously, fanboy, it'll be okay. I am having a lot of fun reading Slott's stories though. And while I may not like the overall idea in the changes Slott has made, he is telling compelling stories that are fun to read.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Okay, not really a Marvel NOW! book, but I have been following this since issue #2 of the very first Bendis/Bagley series (it's what brought me back into comics). It's simply solid every month. Plus it's the only other regular Marvel book I get.

I've read a bunch of the first issues from comiXology and Marvel's 700 #1's project and a lot of it seemed impressive and interesting. But alas, I didn't/don't have the capital to waste on those, so I stuck to my favorites and they are sating my appetite so far. I have picked up some of the issues when they go on sale for $0.99 and have enjoyed them.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    fredzilla said:

I've read a bunch of the first issues from comiXology and Marvel's 700 #1's project and a lot of it seemed impressive and interesting. But alas, I didn't/don't have the capital to waste on those, so I stuck to my favorites and they are sating my appetite so far. I have picked up some of the issues when they go on sale for $0.99 and have enjoyed them.

Same here. I get the books when the price is right. Meanwhile I buy lots of old Marvel books. There is still lots to discover.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hex said:

Marvel takes a ton of my ca$h. Marvel Now has taken even more of my money. At a time when cash is tight, that is not an easy task. AND they have made me happy to give it to them.

The last time I read this much Marvel material consistently... well, I don't remember for sure when that was. Maybe middle school, so that would make it, what, 1989?
  • Options
    Somehow I forgot to add Daredevil to my list. Awesome book!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Hex said:

The last time I read this much Marvel material consistently... well, I don't remember for sure when that was. Maybe middle school, so that would make it, what, 1989?
    right there with you buddy. i am a self proclaimed DC guy but right NOW Marvel is doing it right. I have not picked up a single Dc title for the last 6 months or so.

My pull list is now made up of:
    Captain Marvel: (art is a little iffy for me and this is sometimes boarderline but i'm still digging it)
    Hawkeye: see: any review above
    All New X-Men: first time I've collected x-men consitently since i was a teen.
    Uncanny X-Men: see above
    Avengers: Hickman is nailing it. I personally love the White Event New Universe love
    Uncanny Avengers: Liking Havok more than i expected
    Daredevil: consistently good in every way. characters, drama, action...
    Indestructable Hulk: Waid is my man! first issue was brilliant, took a bit of a dip for a couple issues and now has leveled out to a pretty fun comic.
  • Options
    I'm super happy with almost all the titles but my favs are superior spidy secret avengers and the x-men title with cyclops and magik I don't remember the title though. All new xmen is the best though which is funny because I was never a big bendis fan.
  • Options
    I am now looking for a book called Superior Spidey Secret Avengers, which sounds kinda cool.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2013
    Marvel is getting underway with a brand new, All-New Now campaign. How many titles will they restart with a brand new #1? Let's count them. Oh, look; there's one now!

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48418

Secret Avengers gets restarted into its third series in four years. Probably because it's hard to make a '20' fit into the issue number slot on the cover.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm reading more Marvel now than I have in, hell, 25 years, easy. Hawkeye, Daredevil, FF, and Thor GoT are all top-shelf books. Was reading Captain Marvel as well, but the inconsistent art and crossover involvement forced me to drop it.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Any discussion on the next wave of Marvel Now is off-topic. Start a new thread. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm reading a huge chunk of Marvel books now, and love almost all of them specifically the Avengers books. Also, much to the chagrin of Jamie I think the direction Cap has gone in this year, with the Kirby like Dimension Z story, has been fantastic. I loved the Brubaker stuff, but after so long of that, the new direction is nice. Plus Remender is incredible.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I now own the entire run of the latest Morbius... AND it was pointless, but I kept sticking with it, can't really say why. Look for it to appear on ebay in the very near future.

I've stuck with Superior Spider-Man, but don't plan to much longer. I just cannot get into Spider-Ock. It was an intriguing premise, I fell for the hype, he's overstayed his welcome. Nice art, if inconsistent.

While I wasn't so sure at first, I think that Indestructible Hulk has continued to improve overall. Solid book.

I've stuck with Thor simply because, well, it rocks. If you haven't read it, get the trades, now.

Hawkeye - ditto.

Captain America... gee. I really hoped something was going to click with the Zola story, but I've been consistently put off by JRjr's artwork - it's just not Captain America worthy. Although I'm not caught up with the title yet to comment on the newest books with Carlos Pacheco's art (#11 and beyond), I will say that I can tell Remender has a firm grasp of the character and really enjoy his writing, so I've stuck it out.
  • Options

Captain America... gee. I really hoped something was going to click with the Zola story, but I've been consistently put off by JRjr's artwork - it's just not Captain America worthy.

Yeah, I hate to be so down on such a well known artist but you're right. I Just don't get the appeal. A change in art might bring me back to the book.

• Options
    Frankly, the JR JR art was the only thing I've enjoyed so far -- the Remender story did absolutely nothing for me. I found it a let-down after the years of Brubaker's more down-to-earth espionage based stories. I'm trying out the new story arc, but if things don't improve, I'll have to drop this title as well.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Almost every time I see a JRjr Captain America cover I think "why are they putting Kick-ass in a Cap costume?"
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Krescan said:

Almost every time I see a JRjr Captain America cover I think "why are they putting Kick-ass in a Cap costume?"

I cannot argue with that logic. Now if they can just get a new inker that doesn't wash out Pacheco's work, it might be fine.

Frankly, the JR JR art was the only thing I've enjoyed so far -- the Remender story did absolutely nothing for me. I found it a let-down after the years of Brubaker's more down-to-earth espionage based stories. I'm trying out the new story arc, but if things don't improve, I'll have to drop this title as well.

I have to accept that the Brubaker run is effectively over for good. He's moved on. I again must say that I feel like Remender has a good handle on the character though. I will give it one last arc. It has not been worth $3.99 every month (of course I'm using DCBS, so I'm only paying $2.40, but still...)
  • Options
    Uncanny Avengers: Still reading it, but it sure doesn't feel like the Cornerstone book it was sold to us as. I like the tension in the group, but that needs resolution soon or it become a case of “Well, if they all hate each other, why do they work together and why should I care?”

A+X: I love this book, but then I like a good anthology book that I can sit down and read without having to read a bunch of issues beforehand. I know they don't do well, and this one is getting a serial in it to try to stem the sales drops, but every issue has been fun and reminds me of the old Marvel Team Up.

All-New X-Men: The first X-Men book I have enjoyed since Morrison left. Bendis takes the time to give the characters their own voice, doesn't have 14 sideplots going and has set up an interesting premise. Dunno how long this main story is going to go, and what he has planned for a second act, but I'm along for the ride.

Captain America: As someone who loved the 70's Kirby Cap, I LOVED the Zola story. Not only was it filled with Big Kirby ideas and Big art by JR Jr., but the time issue brings back something missing from Cap for a while, the whole “Man out of time” aspect that's been missing since Mark Waid left.

Deadpool: It's a Deadpool book. No better, no worse, no different. If you like that sort of thing, here it is. If you don't, this won't change your mind.

Fantastic Four and FF : I am liking Fantastic Four, although there is a lingering issue I have had since Valeria showed up: She's SO smart and powerful that she kind of makes the rest of the characters irrelevant. Still, I always like it when they send the F4 on a quest, and Fraction is keeping me interested. FF is a book I lost the thread of and will have to read it in trades.

Indestructible Hulk: This book is hit or miss with me. The Simonson story was TOO FUN, and the ideas are interesting, but sometimes the art gets in the way, and the stories jump around a bit too much for me. Am now reading it in trades.

Iron Man: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark annoyed me. Not because it was a bad story, but because it is another in the “everything you know is wrong!” where now Tony Stark wasn't just brilliant, but he was genetically engineered to be UBER Brilliant. It makes him too powerful in my mind, and I hope it's ignored pretty quickly like the Ellis story. That being said, they have completed the switch of making Tony just like he is in the movies, which I am OK with, since Iron Man didn't have a lot of personality. Stories have been OK. Nothing great.

Thor: God of Thunder: So loving this. Beautiful art, stories that feel like myth and then a one shot that shows why Thor loves Earth? SO good.

X-Men Legacy: Dropped it early on, as Legion is a character with little to no appeal to me.

Avengers and New Avengers: I have been praising these on my podcasts since they came out. Hickman is a writer who brings BIG ideas, and these books have been filled with them. Almost Kirby-esque in that he's giving Marvel new concepts and ideas that will be able to be minded for years to come in stories that feel like they are Important. Add to that the fact that he picked up Warren Ellis's plot threads from his unfinished series #258 New Universal and really made it into something that feels important to the Marvel U.

Avengers Arena: I tried it. Hate the concept, hate that they are getting rid of so many characters with potential. It feels like that “Young X-Men” book where Yost went on a killing spree to generate drama out of laziness.

Cable and X-Force: First time in a LONG time I have given a damn about Cable. It plays with the Marvel U and the concept of being a hero in an interesting way. Well worth a read.

Thunderbolts: Dropped.

Morbius: The Living Vampire: The return no one wanted.

Savage Wolverine: These revolving team books never seem to last, no matter the team. I liked Frank Cho's story, and the Joe Mad story has lost my interest.

The Superior Spider-Man: It's popular to bash this on line, but I am loving it. Slott is slowly building this story, and Doc Oc is re-emerging bit by bit. It also plays with the idea of how far a super-hero can go to enforce order before it becomes fascism. And when Peter comes back, watching him clean up the mess will be a GREAT story.

Uncanny X-Force: Lost the thread on this book and have no idea why this team is together.

Young Avengers: It's been too long between series, and I lost all interest in the characters. This book didn't win me back.

Fearless Defenders: Dropped. I wanted to support it, but the stories are too “paint by the numbers”, and just haven't appealed to me.

Guardians of the Galaxy: A bit more scattered than a normal Bendis book, but I am LOVING his take on the characters, and hopefully the team pulls back together so it doesn't feel like two or three books under one cover. And come on, I have to love any book where Rocket Raccoon shouts “Blam! Murdered YOU!” during fights.

Nova: Loeb set the series in motion, and there are things to like about the book, but it does feel like it got a second launch after the first story arc. Waiting and seeing.

Secret Avengers: This book is all over the place and hasn't gelled. I'm not the only one who thinks so, since it's already getting a reboot.

Uncanny X-Men: The flip side of Bendis's other X-Men book, following Cyclops, and do0es a good job of playing off of that book while showing us a team that feels they are doing the right thing, and the world thinks they are villains. I love the dynamic of that, and the stories have had a nice frenetic flow.

X-Men: I love Brian Wood, but this book hasn't grabbed me yet. I think it is because Bendis's two X-Men books have teams with a strong reason to be together, a direction and a purpose and this feels like Just Another X-Men book. Will be reading it in trades.