Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1432 Talkback: A Farewell to Pants

Comments

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I was totally shocked to see this in the feed this morning.

Pants, you did an excellent job running the show, and you were a great podcaster on CGS even before you became the producer.

As Shane said on the most recent episode, it's been especially fun listening to your forays into Marvel Comics this past year (or so). Your enthusiasm and interest in discovering that universe was infectious. Even though I'm pretty well versed in Marvel, it was great listening to you learn about it. I hope that perhaps you'll make an appearance or two in future Spotlight episodes. You've acknowledged that sometimes you felt that you "didn't know what to say", but you still certainly had a way of asking the right questions and steering the conversations into interesting territory.

I'll continue to look forward to CGS as it goes into its next era. I have no doubt that there will be many great hours of listening ahead.

And Pants, as great as all things Podcast/Comic/Geek-related are . . . whatever you're going to be doing with your time now that you won't be on CGS . . . try to make the most out of life. It's a big world out there with a lot of wonderful new experiences waiting to be discovered. On the other hand, as the guys said, maybe the first thing you should do is clean your room. ;-)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’m sure I’ll continue to run into you at the various cons we attend, @Pants, but I’ll miss hearing your voice every week. As I’ve told you before, and as I told Bryan at the NYCC, I think you’ve done an exceptional job keeping the show going, and your perspective will be missed.

The main reason I listen to CGS regularly, and rarely listen to other comic book podcasts, is that the CGS group dynamic reminds me of my days working in a comic shop. Having so many different voices and opinions—sometimes agreeing, often not, but always having a good time in the process—is what makes CGS so interesting for me. And just as when Peter left and when Bryan stepped more to the sideline, the show will suffer for your absence.

I like the idea that Bryan’s cousin may become a regular, and @JamieD, personally I think the show could use a little more Military Comics and Plastic Man talk. :D All I’m really saying here is that I’d like for the group’s numbers to stay large. If that means Bryan, Matt, Kevin, or even Chris getting on the show a little more often, bringing in another regular or two, or having more guests come in, or all of the above, I’m all for it.

Enjoy your newly found free time, Brian, and use it well my friend. See you on the con floor.
  • Options
    Brian (aka @pants ), I hate to hear you're leaving (still need to hear the episode), but wanted to pop in to say what a fantastic job you did producing the show. Your hard work was evident and it paid off for us, the listeners.

Thanks for all you did, and, darn it, like @nweathington said, I hope I still see you at conventions from time to time!!! Now I'm extra sorry you and I didn't manage to catch up in person at NYCC...even though every time I turned around, I ran into that Moyer character. ;)

Best of luck with everything!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2013
    Well, this is definitely the end of an era. Worst. Monday. Podcast. Ever!

Seriously, I was quite saddened to hear this news and listen to this podcast. To me @pants was the everyman of the show. His youthful energy and spontaneous comments are part of what's made this show a top-shelf comics podcast for me, and I've tried them all. I hope you will return at least once every 12 - 15 episodes so we can feel like you haven't completely abandoned us...?

As far as your producing skills - yeoman's work sir, yeoman's work. It is now down to the talents of @JamieD, @Adam_Murdough, @brydeemer, @ShaneKelly and the occasional ChrisEberle ~ a great line-up of highly-capable geeks - so we are all in very good hands.

Here's to thousands more enjoyable episodes of CGS. The show must go on... Brian, live passionately, love completely, and leave boldly.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2013
    In the words of another great broadcaster, Edward R. Murrow; "Good night, and good luck".
  • Options
    I've been listening since Pants was known as Onesie. I miss a few episodes, and it all falls apart. Son of a .....

But seriously... you had a great run, Pants! Sad to see you go, but I can understand your need to move on. Know that you're loved greatly by this community, and obviously by your pals on the show.

We'll miss you.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    Pants, so sorry to hear you are leaving the show. I enjoyed meeting you at Heroescon this year and hope you enjoyed the Cheerwine!
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Via con Dios, mutha flippa!
  • Options
    I saw Pants at NYCC but didn't stop to say hi and tell him what a great job I thought he did. ;( CGS was easily one of the best podcasts out there and I think he was a huge part of it. I find most comics podcasts unbearable to listen to. I only listen to one other comics related podcast and that one ended last week. While I'm glad the show will continue, changes are a-coming and it feels like the end of an era.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Well good luck to you pants. Its been five years since I met you at the 2008 Super Show and got to shake your hand and thank you for your contributions to the show. I remember during one of the earlier Super Shows and Peter and Deemer were not on the show and it was just you Jaime D. It was so weird not to hear either Peter and Bryan and it was pretty good. And who thought that years later that would be the new status quo eventually.

Thanks for all the hours of entertainment. Don't be a stranger. Take some martial arts in preparation for the Christmas season.

Jaime, Murd, and Shane I will still be listening. Keeping doing Comic Talk. I really enjoy those. Also think about rotating podcasting guest-hosts. CGS has spawned so may podcasts like Shawn Kemp has kids so have people drop in. Good luck to you guys. I have been listening since Ep. 40 and I guess I'll stop when you do.
  • Options
    wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 16
    Pants, all the best, and much happiness in everything going forward. You went beyond the call of duty in picking up the mantle. I will miss your voice, both literal and figurative.

Gentlemen, may I gently suggest that CGS is now ripe for a format revamp? I miss Let's Talk Shop.

As well, some other voices for variation of opinion and tone would be welcome. Dare I say it: how about regularly inviting some women to the mix?

Lastly, Bryan Deemer -- get back to where you once belonged.
  • Options
    DUH! @ Pants ... say it aint so..... say this is some kind of head-fake....

This hurts me .. but respect you for making the decision. Please take some time off - and consider coming back for random acts of re-visits....

Pleasure meeting you & talking at Hero's Con (this year) and if you come to ATL area... please reach out. Good luck on the Tales of Suspense #57 search!!
  • Options
    The only geek I've met in person. Thanks for the shows, Pants.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited October 2013
    In the immortal words of little Joey Starrett in the classic 1953 western SHANE: “PANTS! COME BACK!”

Seriously though - Pants, words can’t describe how much I will personally miss hearing your voice on the regular on the CGS podcast, including the best and most infectious laugh I’ve ever heard. I had commented last week or so on the most current X-Men Spotlight thread that the chemistry between you, Adam, Jamie, and Shane made you guys, in my opinion, the Fantastic 4 of the comic book podcast world (Matt-your periodic appearances makes you the Sensational She-Hulk of theF4 John Byrne era *wink*) . I read the brief podcast episode description as the episode was downloading on my iPhone podcast app this morning and was like ‘damn, what a way to start the day’. I thought your farewell episode was great and very touching and I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever future endeavors you decide to pursue on your newfound free time. You are a class act!
  • Options
    LanceLance Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear you're leaving Pants. You did a great job keeping the show going after Bryan left. More and more the voices I came used to many years ago move on. I wish you the best and look forward to episodes you may return on. Hopefully I'll bump into you at C2E2 in the future. Take care kid.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    For episode 1500, Jamie D gets the entire band back together in the studio.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Right before I heard about Pants' decision, I had it in my head to email him and suggest timing Ep.1500 for the CGS 9th Anniversary in March 2014. It won't line up with the new less frequent schedule unfortunately. Curses! That would've been a fun way to kick off Year Ten towards March 2015.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    WOW

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving Brian. You have done a great job and we are the better for you being on the show and when you produced it.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited October 2013
    I'm really sorry to see you go Pants from the podcast. You will be missed but not forgotten for your hours of dedication to contributing & working in the podcast producing chair. I will still listen to the podcast in the Jamie D., Kevin, Murdo & CGS Matt aka the post Pants era. I look forward to Marvel & DC spotlights but also the shooting the breeze about the comics & trades that you really like (or think otherwise is not up to par as stinky poo poo). Thanks Pants for all that you do & if you feel recharged to talk about comics please feel welcome to do so in the future.

Matthew
  • Options
    I hate you Pants for leaving. I will never forgive you.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I will also say welcome aboard to @MPhil but just to take a moment to avoid any confusion, he is a new member, not Mr. Phil of ISR fame, who is already (occasionally) on the forums.

Welcome to the League of Retired Podcasters, Pants!
    Wishing you the best!
  • Options
    Thank you Pants for your dedication to the show!

I'm so far behind in my episode listening that I'm still getting over Peter and Bryan.

You have done an amazing job sir, and I'm going to miss your insight, your zeal, your love of Letterman, and that laugh! Oh that laugh.

Hope to see you at a con someday soon!
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I am so out of the loop. I haven't listened the show in ages, but listened to this one. The shows I did catch of Pants working the controls were great. I've always enjoyed the show.

Pants - smart move. You noticed you were losing a certain degree of interest and you stepped away. Give yourself some time away from the hustle and bustle of the show and you might find yourself coming back with a new vigor. When you have something to say, you'll know when to show up and express yourself. Good luck and thanks for the hard work over the years.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Why does there need to be such finality Pants. Take some time and come back if you want. You might find you miss it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Dman said:

In the immortal words of little Joey Starrett in the classic 1953 western SHANE: “PANTS! COME BACK!”

Seriously though - Pants, words can’t describe how much I will personally miss hearing your voice on the regular on the CGS podcast, including the best and most infectious laugh I’ve ever heard. I had commented last week or so on the most current X-Men Spotlight thread that the chemistry between you, Adam, Jamie, and Shane made you guys, in my opinion, the Fantastic 4 of the comic book podcast world (Matt-your periodic appearances makes you the Sensational She-Hulk of theF4 John Byrne era *wink*) . I read the brief podcast episode description as the episode was downloading on my iPhone podcast app this morning and was like ‘damn, what a way to start the day’. I thought your farewell episode was great and very touching and I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever future endeavors you decide to pursue on your newfound free time. You are a class act!

Does that mean you picture me covered in green wearing a 1-piece?!

M