Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Candidates For The First Issue Special!

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    My copy of Starlight is coming in my DCBS shipment - I've been on a slow building Flash Gordon kick lately (Dynamite has a new FB book coming up by Jeff Parker). Is it any wonder I enjoy Adam Strange so much?

I skipped Undertow but now I might give it a try. Thanks for talking about it!

David D a Punisher fan - who knew? I think Chris Marshall is a big Punisher fan as well.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Peter said:

My copy of Starlight is coming in my DCBS shipment - I've been on a slow building Flash Gordon kick lately (Dynamite has a new FB book coming up by Jeff Parker). Is it any wonder I enjoy Adam Strange so much?

I skipped Undertow but now I might give it a try. Thanks for talking about it!

David D a Punisher fan - who knew? I think Chris Marshall is a big Punisher fan as well.

I will admit that my longtime Punisher (and Ennis) fandom is a bit of a quirk. If comics had a Netflix like recommendation algorithm, my many Punisher purchases over the years would confuse it compared to the rest of what I buy. Maybe all that G.I. Joe when I was an impressionable kid? I don't know.

Undertow is worth checking out.

And if you have been on a Flash Gordon kick, I think you will really dig Starlight. What Parlov does with the Raymond pastiche is pretty strong.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    SECRET AVENGERS 1
    http://marvel.com/comics/issue/50285/secret_avengers_2014_1

Loved it. I had been reading the prior volumes of Secret Avengers via Marvel Unlimited, but when I heard Kot was the writer on the new volume, I was in. Kot's Zero, from Image, is one of the best new titles for me in the last two or three years. I love the art in the new Secret Avengers, by Walsh (who also did Zero #1) is excellent. Expressive and a bit cartoony in a way I enjoy.

I would describe the tone of SA in keeping with the Hawkguy corner of the MU. I don't think it is trying to BE Hawkeye (even though he is in this), rather it feels like this story doesn't have the enormous (sometimes tiring) gravitas of the Hickman Avengers books. Like Hawkeye, I get the feeling this book will have adventures that take place on their own time, with aplomb. I mean, come on, MODOK is in the mix and you've got Hawkeye stuck with two of his ex-girlfriends (Spider-Woman and Black Widow). And it is nice to have an issue with Black Widow in which she spends no time at all on the guilt about her past, she just gets on with being Black Widow in a way that makes it look like anyone would want to be Black Widow. I dug it. I'm on board. Marvel NOW has added three new ongoings to my list in two weeks. If Kot's upcoming Iron Patriot is this good, then this is going to start getting expensive.

the BUNKER 1
    http://www.onipress.com/title/the-bunker-1

This is a dense (and packed for the price) first issue, partly because it presents an expanded version of the previous digital series, and a lot of story, character and premise are given in the first issue alone. It is a big start of a very ambitious and high-concept time travel story about a large cast of characters. I wonder whether this might be better in trade, as I ended up reading it over two subway rides spread out over a couple of days, and I was getting a little lost just in that first issue. But that is also a sort of compliment to the book, as some books demand real attention and focus, and this might be one of those. I really get the feeling that this is a passion project for Fialkov and Infurnari (and Fialkov says as much in the back of the book) and I hope it gets the chance to tell the full story, as I get the sense this is a big one to tell.

To not give away too much, I will say that it is an ensemble book, about time travel, fate, and friendship. It is a sort of Lost meets Y: The Last Man meets Stephen King's It. Which is not at all to say that it is derivative of any of those things, as it is very much its own thing. Looking forward to seeing this one grow.

Damn. A LOT of great comics to read lately. No?
    Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    David_D said:

Damn. A LOT of great comics to read lately. No?

Absolutely. That's why I like this thread - and I continue to do New Comics Wednesday/Previews posts as well. Lots of stuff coming out each month worth noting/attention.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Peter said:

I really liked Starlight #1. Its an excellent issue. I'm a fan of the characters like Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, and Adam Strange, and this comic is in that pulp sci-fi vein. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    How was Silver Surfer #1? I have it shipping in my next DCBS box and I'm really curious about. Never been a big Surfer fan in the past but the involvement of Slott and Allred piqued my interest.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    sandman said:

Peter said:

I really liked Starlight #1. Its an excellent issue. I'm a fan of the characters like Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, and Adam Strange, and this comic is in that pulp sci-fi vein. I highly recommend it.

I haven't liked a lot of Millar’s stuff, but the concept and the Goran Parlov was enough to make me give it a try. I liked it quite a bit. If the rest of the series is as good as the first issue, it should end up being my favorite of Millar's work. Did I mention Parlov is awesome?
  • Options
    If anyone wants to be a completist, Parlov drew the Spider-Man/Psylocke chapter of A+X #16: http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=293001
  • Options
    I mentioned this on another thread, but Lumberjanes #1 was pretty good. It feels like it would fit in well as a cartoon in Cartoon Network’s lineup. I wasn't blown away, but I'm interested enough to pick up the rest of the miniseries.

Haven't read Flash Gordon or Doop yet, but they're in the stack. I almost picked up Shutter, but didn't. If anyone's read it, I'd like to know what you think.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have behind contributing to this thread, and I figured it was time. . .

The Fade Out #1 by Brubaker and Phillips - Oh HELL yeah.
    https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-fade-out-1

I have been enjoying the Brubaker and Phillips collaboration for 15 years now, and will buy everything they do. I will admit that, while Fatale had great moments, it partly just made me miss Criminal. So for me, The Fade Out gets them away from the supernatural, and the superhero (Incognito) and back to Criminal territory. In this case, a murder mystery noir set in the bad old days of Hollywood. Fantastic.

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

I mentioned this on another thread, but Lumberjanes #1 was pretty good. It feels like it would fit in well as a cartoon in Cartoon Network’s lineup. I wasn't blown away, but I'm interested enough to pick up the rest of the miniseries.

Haven't read Flash Gordon or Doop yet, but they're in the stack. I almost picked up Shutter, but didn't. If anyone's read it, I'd like to know what you think.

Shutter is one of my favorite indie books that's out right now. Great art and totally unpredictable stories that keep me invested. My wife started picking it up with issue #3 and has since caught up on all the issues released. I always look forward to her bringing home a new issue.
    I also really respect the creative team on the book, as well. In every letters page, they share their current favorite books, music, comics and movies with the readers and give them recommendations of other stuff to check out and encourage them to do the same.

• Options

Shutter is one of my favorite indie books that's out right now. Great art and totally unpredictable stories that keep me invested. My wife started picking it up with issue #3 and has since caught up on all the issues released. I always look forward to her bringing home a new issue.
    I also really respect the creative team on the book, as well. In every letters page, they share their current favorite books, music, comics and movies with the readers and give them recommendations of other stuff to check out and encourage them to do the same.

Thanks, @Evening639. Perhaps I'll give it a try sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Nameless #1 by Morrison and Burnham. Fantastic. It's like Hellblazer meets the movie Armageddon. The occult and astronauts trying to stop an asteroid doesn't sound like a mix that would work. But to judge from the first issue, it does. And great to see Morrison and Burnham collaborating again.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Titan Comics has announced a brand new Johnny Red series. Issue #1 is due to arrive in stores on November 4th, and is currently being solicited. This new series will be written by Garth Ennis and the artwork being handled magnificently by Keith Burns. These will be all-original adventures of the fighter ace who thrilled millions and rocketed to status as a classic British comic character in the pages of legendary combat comic Battle, bringing World War II to incendiary life in the finest air warfare stories ever told! Ennis and artist Keith Burns are diving right back into the thick of the period action to present the character to a contemporary audience!

Also of note, George Pelecanos, the writer & producer of The Wire has an all-new comic series called “The Six” written with Andrew Ewington and drawn by Mack Chater (fans of The Fuse ought to recognize) . It's being published by Michael Bay‘s 451 Media Group and the solicit reads:
    "From master author George Pelecanos, (HBO’s The Wire, The Pacific, Treme), comes a searing tale of warfare at its worst and fighting soldiers at their best. When the wife of a former Marine buddy finds herself a target of a vicious Mexican cartel, she ends up turning to her husband’s old squad for help. Sergeant James McQuade and five former members of the Five-One Sand Scorpions find themselves outnumbered and outgunned against the most lethal and unpredictable enemy they ever went head-to-head with. It was someone else’s war but it was their fight. Just the way they like it."
  • Options
    David_D said:
    Update: It is great (this is about Johnny Red from Titan Comics-- anyone else check it out?)
  • Options
    The Fix #1 by Lieber and Spencer was fantastic. It was energetic, naughty, surprising, and genre-bending. It is sort of like an LA noir mixed with doses of Shane Black, Tarantino, and Guy Ritchie. (And, to be fair, it is its own thing-- I don't make those comparisons to say it is derivative, but rather that it has a similar mix of dark humor and violence. So, I don't know, if you feel like Saga or Sex Criminals doesn't need to be "that way" this one might not be for you.)

It is a $4 first issue, but it must have been 40 or more pages. It felt like a very meaty read. Nick Spencer is someone I have enjoyed but not always followed, and Steve Lieber I have loved ever since I read Whiteout way back when.

This is one of the best #1s from Image I have read in awhile. An excellent start.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

David_D said:
    Update: It is great (this is about Johnny Red from Titan Comics-- anyone else check it out?)
    I'm waiting on the 8th and final issue. Haven't missed one yet.
  • Options
    @David_D ... I couldn't agree more. The Fix #1 was excellent. I'm a sucker for anything Nick Spencer writes, and this was no exception.
  • Options
    David_D said:

The Fix #1 by Lieber and Spencer was fantastic. It was energetic, naughty, surprising, and genre-bending. It is sort of like an LA noir mixed with doses of Shane Black, Tarantino, and Guy Ritchie. (And, to be fair, it is its own thing-- I don't make those comparisons to say it is derivative, but rather that it has a similar mix of dark humor and violence. So, I don't know, if you feel like Saga or Sex Criminals doesn't need to be "that way" this one might not be for you.)

It is a $4 first issue, but it must have been 40 or more pages. It felt like a very meaty read. Nick Spencer is someone I have enjoyed but not always followed, and Steve Lieber I have loved ever since I read Whiteout way back when.

This is one of the best #1s from Image I have read in awhile. An excellent start.

I will be checking this one out for sure.
  • Options
    As for some other upcoming #1 issues on the horizon (and, in some cases, available for pre-order)--

One that stood out to me, coming from Image in March, is Gideon Falls by Lemire and Sorrentino. I've loved their work together in the past, together and separately, and great to see them collaborating on something they'll own.
    GIDEON FALLS #1
    STORY: JEFF LEMIRE
    ART / COVER: ANDREA SORRENTINO
    VARIANT COVER: JEFF LEMIRE, JOCK
    MARCH 07 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

A brand-new ongoing series from the acclaimed bestselling creative team of Old Man Logan and Green Arrow! The lives of a reclusive young man obsessed with a conspiracy in the city’s trash, and a washed-up Catholic priest arriving in a small town full of dark secrets, become intertwined around the mysterious legend of The Black Barn, an otherworldly building that is alleged to have appeared in both the city and the small town, throughout history, bringing death and madness in its wake. Rural mystery and urban horror collide in this character-driven meditation on obsession, mental illness, and faith.
    “Gideon Falls has been percolating in my brain for a long long time. A lot of the ideas have been with me for over a decade, but I just never found the right time or way to pull them together...that was until I started working with Andrea Sorrentino,” said Lemire. “Andrea and I quickly developed an incredible chemistry while working on Green Arrow and Old Man Logan. And, as much as we loved working on those books, we were dying to create something all our own too, and now we have with Gideon Falls, one of the weirdest and wildest things either of us has ever done. We are excited to be at Image and excited to be unleashing Gideon Falls with the incomparable Dave Stewart joining us on colors.” (Lemire at NYCC announcement)

• Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    David_D said:

As for some other upcoming #1 issues on the horizon (and, in some cases, available for pre-order)--

One that stood out to me, coming from Image in March, is Gideon Falls by Lemire and Sorrentino. I've loved their work together in the past, together and separately, and great to see them collaborating on something they'll own.

GIDEON FALLS #1
    STORY: JEFF LEMIRE
    ART / COVER: ANDREA SORRENTINO
    VARIANT COVER: JEFF LEMIRE, JOCK
    MARCH 07 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

A brand-new ongoing series from the acclaimed bestselling creative team of Old Man Logan and Green Arrow! The lives of a reclusive young man obsessed with a conspiracy in the city’s trash, and a washed-up Catholic priest arriving in a small town full of dark secrets, become intertwined around the mysterious legend of The Black Barn, an otherworldly building that is alleged to have appeared in both the city and the small town, throughout history, bringing death and madness in its wake. Rural mystery and urban horror collide in this character-driven meditation on obsession, mental illness, and faith.
    “Gideon Falls has been percolating in my brain for a long long time. A lot of the ideas have been with me for over a decade, but I just never found the right time or way to pull them together...that was until I started working with Andrea Sorrentino,” said Lemire. “Andrea and I quickly developed an incredible chemistry while working on Green Arrow and Old Man Logan. And, as much as we loved working on those books, we were dying to create something all our own too, and now we have with Gideon Falls, one of the weirdest and wildest things either of us has ever done. We are excited to be at Image and excited to be unleashing Gideon Falls with the incomparable Dave Stewart joining us on colors.” (Lemire at NYCC announcement)

I’m definitively getting this. Lemire and Image are always a buy for me.
  • Options
    Yep, I'll always try a new Lemire creator-owned book.
  • Options
    Something picked up recently. Ever since I read Borrowed Time (written by Neal Shaffer), I've been a fan of Joe Infurnari's artwork. His recent book with Joshua Hale Fialkov, The Bunker, just cemented that. So, when I saw he had a new book coming from Image, I had to check it out.
    EVOLUTION #1
    Story: James Asmus, Joseph Keatinge, Christopher Sebela, Joshua Williamson
    Art / Cover: Joe Infurnari, Jordan Boyd

Human evolution has taken millions of years to get to this stage. But next week, we become something new. Around the world, humanity is undergoing rapid and unpredictable changes, and only three individuals seem to notice that their world is being reborn. But what can they do about it? Skybound unites writers JAMES ASMUS, JOSEPH KEATINGE, CHRISTOPHER SEBELA & JOSHUA WILLIAMSON and artists JOE INFURNARI & JORDAN BOYD to create a new global phenomenon in this oversized debut issue.
    The art is beautiful, moody and dark befitting the premise, and the story of these disparate characters hooked me with that first issue. I was impressed with how seamless the whole thing felt, despite four writers working on the book. I'm looking forward to following this series.
  • Options
    As per the Dark Horse April Solicitations Gabriel Hardman is drawing and writing a four issue Aliens miniseries.
    Aliens: Dust to Dust #1 (of 4)
    Gabriel Hardman (W/A/Cover) and Carlos D’Anda (Variant cover)
    On sale Apr 25
    FC, 32 pages • $3.99 • Miniseries
    The Trono colony on LV-871 is under attack. Emergency evacuations are ordered. Evac shuttles are taking off. All twelve-year-old Maxon and his mom have to do is make it to the spaceport. Except between them and it are . . . Aliens!
    A terrifying coming-of-age story by master storyteller Gabriel Hardman.
    Gabriel Hardman storyboarded the films Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, Logan, Dawn of Planet of the Apes, and many others!
    A reexamination of why we fear the Aliens!
    On sale in time for Alien Day (4/26)!
    Yes, please.