Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: Winter Soldier Trailer Discussion

So today the Captain America: Winter Soldier trailer finally dropped, after yesterday's frustrating 10-second teaser for the trailer (I don't understand how teasing a trailer is now actually a thing).

What were people's reactions? I hope there's some sort of reason given for the new outfit in the actual film. I hope that he'll still wear the Captain America proper outfit in Avengers 2, or perhaps the suit he has here is only for his work with SHIELD, doing special ops, etc.

Not sure how I feel about Black Widow's ever-changing hairstyle (or how I feel about my even mentioning the hairstyle). The Falcon looks cool, reminds me a lot of Ultimate Falcon.

Like how the Winter Soldier himself isn't the focus of the trailer, and you don't quite get a good glimpse at his face, which is important for keeping some surprises for closer to when the film drops (obviously fans know what's going on, but those who haven't read the comics and aren't aware are still going to be surprised).

Random thought- any chance Nick Fury will bite it here?

I'm quite curious and very interested. I'm actually more excited for this than Thor: The Dark World.

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    If anyone is from Ohio you should look closely for the shots done at various Cleveland locations. This past summer they closed a section of the shoreway for 2 weeks for filming. We had lots of star sightings around town but the big news was when Robert Redford flew in for the day.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I'm quite curious and very interested. I'm actually more excited for this than Thor: The Dark World.

Me too.
  • Options
    I agree with the thought that Falcon looks really good, I was very worried that he would turn out to be a lame characterization of the original. Winter Solider looks absolutely amazing and I think I am more excited to see that character enter the Marvel Movieverse more than any other character to date. Over-all this trailer only makes me hate that I have to suffer through what will be 1000 more trailers before I actually get to see the film.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Falcon is going to steal the show.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    When I first saw this trailer I thought Robert Redford character was going to be Dell Rusk.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Holy crap! That was awesome!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
  • Options
    Looks way better than the 1st Cap film! Can't wait.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

So today the Captain America: Winter Soldier trailer finally dropped, after yesterday's frustrating 10-second teaser for the trailer (I don't understand how teasing a trailer is now actually a thing).

What were people's reactions? I hope there's some sort of reason given for the new outfit in the actual film. I hope that he'll still wear the Captain America proper outfit in Avengers 2, or perhaps the suit he has here is only for his work with SHIELD, doing special ops, etc.

Not sure how I feel about Black Widow's ever-changing hairstyle (or how I feel about my even mentioning the hairstyle). The Falcon looks cool, reminds me a lot of Ultimate Falcon.

Like how the Winter Soldier himself isn't the focus of the trailer, and you don't quite get a good glimpse at his face, which is important for keeping some surprises for closer to when the film drops (obviously fans know what's going on, but those who haven't read the comics and aren't aware are still going to be surprised).

My sources told me Cap's Avengers uniform wasn't reviewed very well. No word yet if the "Commander Rogers" uniform is the status going forward.

I'm not a fan of this uniform, but it looks better then I thought. Since this is a political thriller & Cap spent the last 2 yrs working covert ops for SHIELD, a less 'spangly" uniform makes sense.

Black Widow's hair looked best in IM2 (I'm a sucker for red-heads), but the varying styles don't bother me. Besides her hair styles, has she really had different costume schemes to alter in each movie?

I do like how they're emphasizing her bad ass-ness.

Incredible trailer. Besides minimal Bucky, I didn't see anything about Agent 13.

M
  • Options
    ToastToast Posts: 2
    Really enjoy the spy bent. And I'm really happy about the change in uniform. I thought 'The Avengers' uniforms was simply terrible, this one appears more tactical.

They have certainly ratcheted up the scale, and the menacing eyes of Sebastian Stan's Winter Solider is fantastic. Very excited to see this on the big screen.
  • Options
    I like the new uniform look and Sebastian Stan looks super bada$$
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Maria Hill "I've had the same car for ten years. Never failed to start or broken down on me once. But these Helicarriers seem to be dropping out of the sky every week."
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Maria Hill "I've had the same car for ten years. Never failed to start or broken down on me once. But these Helicarriers seem to be dropping out of the sky every week."

Hey, the Helicarrier crash is a classic Marvel trope. Its like multiple Iron Man suits or Goblins and Bridges.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Good lord it looks good. I figured it would be different that the Original, but wow, looks great.
  • Options

In my opinion there is literally no chance Fury bites it. Unless its a "fake" death.
  • Options
    Watching the trailer (and not driving at the same time), I got a better assessment of things. It wouldn't surprise me if Fury was replaced as Director following his dissention in Avengers. Bucky being called upon to eliminate him as Fury returns in some capacity.

I can further see Cap using the "Commander Rogers" uniform initially, but returning to a "spangly" uniform close to the end. Once he sees what SHIELD is verse what he wants to do, the "spangly" uniform can again represent the patriotism he felt in WWII.

Just my assessment.

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    That was a tasty little morsel.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Watching the trailer (and not driving at the same time), I got a better assessment of things. It wouldn't surprise me if Fury was replaced as Director following his dissention in Avengers. Bucky being called upon to eliminate him as Fury returns in some capacity.

I can further see Cap using the "Commander Rogers" uniform initially, but returning to a "spangly" uniform close to the end. Once he sees what SHIELD is verse what he wants to do, the "spangly" uniform can again represent the patriotism he felt in WWII.

Just my assessment.

M

Yea but... when he was actually fighting in WW2... he didn't wear the "spangly" uniform.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Just my assessment.

M

Yea but... when he was actually fighting in WW2... he didn't wear the "spangly" uniform.
    I recall it including a red, white, & blue color scheme, hence it was A spangly uniform.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I think the SHIELD Cap uniform looks better here than in the comics.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Looks great. My only (superficial) quibbles are that Bucky looks a little bit like a Mortal Kombat character (I think it is the scarf over the mouth) and Cap seems to keep getting less blond as time goes on. Of course, maybe it was out of deference (or respect) to Redford, the Godfather of all Blond Actors.

Those are tiny things, though, I say bring it on!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I wasn't a massive fan if the first cap. But man this one looks good!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I wasn't a massive fan if the first cap. But man this one looks good!

First Cap was a little slow but solid. I think both Thor 2 and Cap 2 look significantly improved from their first outings. Never been a Thor fan but I am looking forward to that movie beyond all reason.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Yes, please, definitely. I'll take two.

Robert Redford's character has me wondering some things, though. Any chance they're mashing up the obvious Brubaker Winter Soldier story here with Gruenwald's Commission on Super-Human Affairs storyline? Hmm... :-?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    That's a good guess. Also, the scene in the elevator reminded me of a moment at the beginning of Civil War as well.
  • Options

Yes, please, definitely. I'll take two.

Robert Redford's character has me wondering some things, though. Any chance they're mashing up the obvious Brubaker Winter Soldier story here with Gruenwald's Commission on Super-Human Affairs storyline? Hmm... :-?

I was thinking the Winter Soldier/Richard Nixon "Secret Empire" story, minus the X-Men.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    DAMN this looks good. I never knew much at all about cap until listening to Jamie's Essentials on the topic, which was about a month before the first Cap's release, and that brought me up to speed to be blown away by the first film.

I went into Thor completely cold, knowing nothing about his background. I thought the movie was decent but felt Cap blew it out of the water.

This trailer has me PSYCHED. As for the uniform, I was never married to the Avengers version, and felt the original WWII version looked more tactical. This one looks like an improvement for sure. I feel the same way about Superhero costumes across the board, and it applied doubly to live action films: They should look practical. Thats why Nolan's Batman is my favourite suit and so on and so forth (my only exception is Spidey cause how do you make that look practical, although "Amazing" did a great job).

And all I could think of when Bucky caught the Shield was "Hey that looks like Melina from Mortal Kombat!"
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Is it just me, or do all these newfangled movie posters look the same?

• Options
    I'm really jazzed for this movie. I like that TDK was a crime thriller, Thor 2 looks to be similar to a Lord of the Rings, & this is a political thriller. Each one fits with the specific character, can make the sequel fresh, & shows the diversity of the character from the 1st movies.

M