Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: Winter Soldier Trailer Discussion

13»

Comments

• Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

We're being coy here, but it's been long enough for people (at least on this forum) to know who the Winter Soldier is in the comics.

Coy doesn't suit you, Matt!
    Can I be Vance instead?!*

M

* - the OTHER fo-Duke boy during Season 5.
    Now THAT was a casting disaster...
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2013

As good as it the trailer looks (and I am really excited to see Sam Wilson), I am going to have to pass. I have not read any stories featuring the Winter Soldier and I shan't be watching this movie, either. I think it was a poor storytelling decision and I prefer to imagine the last decade or so of Cap stories did not happen. I hope to come back for the third flick. Until then, I'll just have to rewatch Thor 2 a bunch of times...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I too thought it was a terrible decision to bring Bucky back from the dead. But I was already reading Captain America, and I really liked what Brubaker had been doing up to that point, so I decided to give it a chance. I had a very short leash on that series.

And, in my humble opinion, it turned out to be the best superhero comic of the 2000s, hands down.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited November 2013
    Watching this trailer and X-Men: Days of Future Past in close proximity last night, I am awed by how much more exciting it is. XDoFP looks like a pompous, talky snoozefest by comparison.*

*"Pompous talky snoozefest" sounds like far too many D&D campaigns I've been in. Or run.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

Watching this trailer and X-Men: Days of Future Past in close proximity last night, I am awed by how much more exciting it is. XDoFP looks like a pompous, talky snoozefest by comparison.*

*"Pompous talky snoozefest" sounds like far too many D&D campaigns I've been in. Or run.

Due to time and money, there will only be a handful of movies in the theatre I can go see next year. Having said that, WS is top of the list. X:DoFP is near the top. Definitely higher than Guardians of the Galaxy...which probably isn't going to make the cut for me. It might seem "pompous, talky snoozefest" but it has Singer back at the helm, returning cast members, a chance to fix the X-Men movie-verse that have been altered from the spinoff and X:FC, and its a story I am familiar with, though having never read it.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Due to time and money, there will only be a handful of movies in the theatre I can go see next year. Having said that, WS is top of the list. X:DoFP is near the top. Definitely higher than Guardians of the Galaxy...which probably isn't going to make the cut for me. It might seem "pompous, talky snoozefest" but it has Singer back at the helm, returning cast members, a chance to fix the X-Men movie-verse that have been altered from the spinoff and X:FC, and its a story I am familiar with, though having never read it.

M
    I'm commenting more on the trailers than the films.

One is full of AcTION, the other of AcTING.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    X2 was good but Singer has gotten way too much capital based on the first 2 x-men movies. The first one has one of the worst third acts I think I've ever seen and has the advantage of having come out before quality comic book movies were the norm. And the less said about his other films (Like Jack the Giant Killer Slayer, Valkyrie, Superman Returns) the better. Yes there was the Usual Suspects, but that movie was the twist. Ask M. Night how much mileage one can get out of that trick.

Personally I really loved First Class. Easily my favorite X movie, one that actually made the X-cinematic universe interesting, and I wish Matthew Vaughn had come back for a sequel. In short, DoFP is pretty much an automatic rental, while GoTG, even if the trailer is terrible, (I'm also not a huge fan of James Gunn, but I'm not a Whedon fan either and thought he did an excellent job with Avengers so I'll give him a shot), at least its a new franchise to screw up with characters I still like and care about being brought to the screen.

I ranted so much that I forgot this is a thread about CA:WS. which I think we can all agree looks amazing.
  • Options

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    X2 was good but Singer has gotten way too much capital based on the first 2 x-men movies. The first one has one of the worst third acts I think I've ever seen and has the advantage of having come out before quality comic book movies were the norm. And the less said about his other films (Like Jack the Giant Killer Slayer, Valkyrie, Superman Returns) the better. Yes there was the Usual Suspects, but that movie was the twist. Ask M. Night how much mileage one can get out of that trick.

Personally I really loved First Class. Easily my favorite X movie, one that actually made the X-cinematic universe interesting, and I wish Matthew Vaughn had come back for a sequel. In short, DoFP is pretty much an automatic rental, while GoTG, even if the trailer is terrible, (I'm also not a huge fan of James Gunn, but I'm not a Whedon fan either and thought he did an excellent job with Avengers so I'll give him a shot), at least its a new franchise to screw up with characters I still like and care about being brought to the screen.

I ranted so much that I forgot this is a thread about CA:WS. which I think we can all agree looks amazing.
    You are correct about First Class, though I heard the Wolverine is amazing. I'm not a big "space adventure" guy, so the GotG were never appealing to me, comics or otherwise.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    I'm commenting more on the trailers than the films.

One is full of AcTION, the other of AcTING.
    Yeah, they definitely have a different feel to them...which is something I like. Though, based on ANOTHER thread & posts, will the "full of AcTION" actually be an issue because people want more "AcTING"?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Yeah, they definitely have a different feel to them...which is something I like. Though, based on ANOTHER thread & posts, will the "full of AcTION" actually be an issue because people want more "AcTING"?

M

I just think an acTION-packed trailer is a lot more exciting.

Doesn't mean the movie will be better, it just makes me go "YEAH!", while the other makes me go "hmmm..."
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It must be hubris that makes helicarriers fall almost every time we see them.
  • Options
    David_D said:

When I saw those scenes in the trailer, I began to wonder how much of my tax dollars is essentially getting pissed away on those things.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

David_D said:

When I saw those scenes in the trailer, I began to wonder how much of my tax dollars is essentially getting pissed away on those things.

M
    Not to mention all the money they now seem to spend putting logos on everything!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    WetRats said:

Disagree.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    My stupid brother-in-law (who is the DP on Winter Soldier) just spoiled the story for me. It is pretty obvious in hind-site, but I would have liked to have figured it out for myself.
    Jerk... and after all that help I gave him with getting him up to speed on Cap.
    Needles to say, I am really looking forward to this. And with all the beans my bro has been spilling, I think it is going to be awesome.