Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

THOR: The Dark World (Now with spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I think its building toward Patton Oswalt's proposed Star Wars/Avengers crossover movie!

M

Groovy!
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    Also, I some how as able to take my wife to this movie ... she never goes to any of the super hero films and didn't even see the first Thor. She like it ... I think it helps that there were a good about of funny parts. She had a lot of questions, mostly about loki and how he was on back and forth on if what he was doing ... but I told her that's what he's about, misdirection. Also, she said that all the flying rocks made it hard to know what's going on ... I told her, that's what happens when God's fight dark elves.
  • Options
    Oh, my favorite part of the movie was the opening sequence with Thor's grandfather fighting the dark elves.

My second favorite part was Loki as captain america ... that was the funniest thing. Or when Thor was in the cave and goes "where did all these shoes come from?"

Yeah, someone said something about the swords having a glowing or light thing on them ... was that in the first movie too?
  • Options
    As for the mid-credits bonus scene, yes, I am also intrigued: if we saw the Infinity Gauntlet WITH Infinity gem stones in Odin's trophy room in the first THOR movie, then why is the Marvel Cinematic Universe suddenly referring to the Aether and the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube as Infinity "gems?"

I bet they have to infuse the power from those things into the glove. I think they didn't think ahead enough and that's how they will do it.

So is the collector off world or something ... and does he work for Thanos?

JP

• Options
    A lot of people didn't like how the one character from the first film didn't look like the comic version, so interestingly enough he was written out of the majority of the film and was on his home planet ... wonder why they did that? Was it to show he was from a different world or just to have less main characters?
  • Options
    I enjoyed it. A little slow at the beginning, but once the Dark Elves reached Asgard, it really picked up. Loki again steals the show. Also, the mid-credits sequence has me excited for GotG!!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    saw it last night. really liked it. cant say i think it was nec. better than the first but at least as good. gotta say natalie portman did nothing for me in any way in this one and didnt think it possible but her friend was even more annoying this time. the mid credits scene was rather odd and cheap looking/feeling.
  • Options
    The_JP said:

So is the collector off world or something ... and does he work for Thanos?

Well, I'm not sure what the set-up is in the movie universe, but in the comics the Collector is one of the Elders of the universe. He's entirely about collecting everything and anything of interest to himself. He doesn't work for anyone but his own interests, and there have been a few reasons given for why he collects;personally, I see him as the ultimate fan boy.

I expect Thanos will simply see the Collector as a convenience -- let him gather the Infinity Gems, and then Thanos will collect the gems from the Collector.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2013
    I think Natalie Portman is way hot, but I agree Jaimie Alexander is hotter. I hope she does get cast as Wonder Woman.

Having said that, has the irony of saying Thor should want Sif over Jane because she's hotter by a bunch of guys stereotyped as being unattractive, dorky, living with their mothers alluded anyone else?

How many of these same guys would pick Maryann over Ginger? What about Willow over Buffy? Juliet over Kate?

I think there are a lot of supermodels I'd like to date & have fun with, but that doesn't mean I want to marry one.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

How many of these same guys would pick Maryann over Ginger? What about Willow over Buffy? Juliet over Kate?

All of the above.

My issue with Natalie Portman's Jane Foster is she's so bland.

I always find Portman bland.

Every character I've seen her play has been dull as dry white toast.

She even managed to be dull as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl in Garden State.*

*Was it Garden State? One of those movies.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

All of the above.

My issue with Natalie Portman's Jane Foster is she's so bland.

I always find Portman bland.

Every character I've seen her play has been dull as dry white toast.

She even managed to be dull as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl in Garden State.*

*Was it Garden State? One of those movies.
    I wouldn't argue that either. I just don't think "because Sif is hotter then Jane" is a good reason for Thor to be with 1 over the other. There's good be more to it.

And for the record, I'd go with Ginger, Buffy, & Kate.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    On a nit-pick note. Could we have Hogan the Grim not smile in every scene? This a character modeled after Charles Bronson. He is stoic and taciturn. Just. Stop.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I wouldn't argue that either. I just don't think "because Sif is hotter then Jane" is a good reason for Thor to be with 1 over the other. There's good be more to it.

I concur.

I suppose that, Thor having been raised in a world full of dynamic, ferocious, badass warrior women, Jane might seem a fascinating contrast...
  • Options
    Matt said:

I respect that.

I suppose you'd choose Jennifer over Bailey as well?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I concur.

I suppose that, Thor having been raised in a world full of dynamic, ferocious, badass warrior women, Jane might seem a fascinating contrast...
    Who knows why we fall in love? I mean, really. We sound like a bunch of mom's playing matchmaker for their special boy. Thor is a big boy he can smooch who we wants. (Also, they're fictional).
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I concur.

I actually think that's what intrigues him more about Jane.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I respect that.

I have no idea who they are.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It's starting to get a little fan fiction-y in here. ;)
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I respect that.

M
    WKRP.

Loni Anderson vs Jan Smithers.
  • Options
    David_D said:

It's starting to get a little fan fiction-y in here. ;)

Suddenly my wife has commandeered @David_D account!!

M
  • Options
    random73 said:

Who knows why we fall in love? I mean, really. We sound like a bunch of mom's playing matchmaker for their special boy. Thor is a big boy he can smooch who we wants. (Also, they're fictional).

Most of the characters we discuss on the forums are fictional.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I respect that.

M
    WKRP.

Loni Anderson vs Jan Smithers.
    Truthfully, I barely remember watching that show. I recall the opening theme & Les more then anything. I'm assuming Loni is Jennifer & Jan is Bailey?

If I recall correctly, Jennifer is a Polly purebread type. Sure she's got the boobs, but how much "good & sweetness" conversations would I need to endure to play with them. Seems like too much maintenance. I'd have to get some character info on Bailey before I make her my default answer.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Truthfully, I barely remember watching that show.

You poor, deprived infant. ;)

They were very much a late seventies Ginger & Mary Ann.

Jennifer was an over the top sexpot who dated a series of extremely wealthy, extremely ancient men who gave her expensive things.

Bailey was the classic bespectacled beauty, always dressed down and was sweet, good, and largely invisible to all the guys who drooled over Jennifer.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Truthfully, I barely remember watching that show.

You poor, deprived infant. ;)

They were very much a late seventies Ginger & Mary Ann.

Jennifer was an over the top sexpot who dated a series of extremely wealthy, extremely ancient men who gave her expensive things.

Bailey was the classic bespectacled beauty, always dressed down and was sweet, good, and largely invisible to all the guys who drooled over Jennifer.
    Give me bespectacled beauty (provided she wasn't an overly goodie too shoes) over high maintenance, golddigger any day. I can always show Bailey how to dress better!

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Including ourselves.

(Okay, I don't actually know what that means. I just liked the sound of it.)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Most. Sometimes we get silly.

I remember a young kid in a comic shop telling my buddy that Gambit got way more (and forgive me for this, it's a quote) pussy that my buddy. We had to gently remind him that these characters are not real and there is actually no Gambit love happening. He was comically incensed.

Occasionally some of the Hero Clix guys get unhealthily competitive and need to be reminded we are adult grown men playing with 2 inch plastic superhero figures.

Sometimes we need a shot of perspective.
  • Options
    random73 said:

So, Prince Charming was replaced by Chuck?

Prince Charming replaced Chuck (who was supposed to be Fandrall originally), so Chuck just returned the favor

• Options
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

I think perspective is exactly what @Matt was offering when he commented on the silliness of the "Thor should bang the hottest one" comments.

But my trying to rationalize Thor's choice of a love interest is, I believe, classic fan speculation and far less silly than much of what we discuss here.

And if it is silly, so what? Being a super hero fan is at its core, an exercise in silliness. If you're ashamed of your hobby, or to be associated with those of us who share your hobby, perhaps you should sell your little plastic men and your funny books and buy some golf clubs and ugly pants.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

I think perspective is exactly what @Matt was offering when he commented on the silliness of the "Thor should bang the hottest one" comments.

But my trying to rationalize Thor's choice of a love interest is, I believe, classic fan speculation and far less silly than much of what we discuss here.

And if it is silly, so what? Being a super hero fan is at its core, an exercise in silliness. If you're ashamed of your hobby, or to be associated with those of us who share your bobby, perhaps you should sell your little plastic men and your funny books and buy some golf clubs and ugly pants.
    That's accurate. We probably know more females in the Jane Foster archetype then Lady Sif archetype. It's probably why, given the choice, most would go for Sif. I'm sure Thor actual has the same issue.

I could more justify Thor picking Sif if Jane was different, but an idiot (or Darcy.) She's not. He's had interesting conversations with her & she made him 'grow up' in the first movie. She arguably made him a better man. Its no wonder he fell in love with her instead of Sif.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

That's accurate. We probably know more females in the Jane Foster archetype then Lady Sif archetype. It's probably why, given the choice, most would go for Sif. I'm sure Thor actual has the same issue.

I could more justify Thor picking Sif if Jane was different, but an idiot (or Darcy.) She's not. He's had interesting conversations with her & she made him 'grow up' in the first movie. She arguably made him a better man. Its no wonder he fell in love with her instead of Sif.

Good points all.

I love it when you show your sensitive side. B-)