Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Prometheus!! the trailer shows so much promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HHcHYisZFLU

Is anyone going crazy over this? It comes out the weekend before my birthday and I don't think I could have been given a more indirectly awesome present :D

Comments

• is it tied to Aliens?
  • TheVaultTheVault Posts: 4
    I don't know how good it will be be, but it looks damn pretty!!
  • JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    is it tied to Aliens?
    it is a prequel of sorts, and it is a prequel to Alien, not Aliens, Alien is the prequel to Aliens
  • Yeah this is going to be siiiiiiiicccckkkkk!!!!!!!!!!
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    is it tied to Aliens?
    it is a prequel of sorts, and it is a prequel to Alien, not Aliens, Alien is the prequel to Aliens
    No, Alien is not the prequel to Aliens because it came first. A prequel is something that comes after, but takes place before, hence the mashing of the terms "pre" and "sequel." Sorry for the nitpick, but that bugs me. ;)

But in any case.... to answer the original question, it depends who you ask. It was originally hyped as a prequel to Alien. Then Ridley Scott started insisting it's not. But the trailers are incredibly reminiscent of Alien (all the way down to the reveal of the title/font). One of the cast members even made a quote geeking out about how it was exciting to be on the set of one of the alien movies because the original was what made him want to be in movies. Then Scott started making quotes about how it's in the same universe as the Alien movies, but not a direct prequel. I personally think it is a prequel and for some reason or other they're being coy about it. But the short answer is that there is a connection, we just don't know exactly what it is yet. But there's something.

And yes, the trailer has me incredibly excited for this movie.
    edited March 2012
    while I understand what you are saying, and what ridley scott says, I have noticed something recently. I just rewatched Alien over the weekend and the alien ship they show crashing in the trailer looks a lot like the structure they go into in Alien where they first encounter the face huggers. so in my opinion, it is related, and since it takes place in the timeline before Alien, it is a prequel in my mind.
    Well, as I stated in my post, "I personally think it is a prequel and for some reason or other they're being coy about it" so I agree with you completely. I really don't know why he started denying the obvious so much, but I really do think this is going to be more than just "in the same universe" as Alien.

What's weird about it is that if you take him at face value and it's not a prequel to Alien, then the whole trailer looks very derivative of Alien. It would be like if George Lucas made a movie that he insisted was not a Star Wars movie, but had lightsabers and scrolling text. We'd think he ran out of ideas. Or James Cameron with a movie that's not a Terminator movie, but still involves Austrian cyborgs from the future (it would probably still be better than Avatar though). I would think from a PR standpoint, it would be better to admit that it's an Alien prequel. Unless of course, he's just counting on most people being able to see the obvious and having it just make them more curious, which seems to be what's happening.
    Actually, re-reading your post, I see where the confusion comes from. I agree completely that Prometheus is going to be a prequel to Alien. What I'm pointing out is that Alien is NOT the prequel to Aliens, by nature of the definition of the word "prequel." Original, precursor, etc., but it's a misuse of the word prequel to say it's a prequel. Semantics, yes, but it's something that bugs me so I feel required to point it out everytime somebody misuses the word "prequel." :D
    edited March 2012
    o definitely, if you put it that way i would agree that it is in the same universe, but not a direct sequel/prequel. my idea is that it is a earlier chapter in the same story that is about the aliens in general, just like how for the most part, besides sigourney weaver being in them, it was always always a new cast of people at a different time having to deal with the aliens. I just can't shake the feeling that what is going to happen in Prometheus is going to be the catalyst for what happened in Alien. For instance the beacon that wakes them from sleep, to me that trailer appears like they aren't going to have a happy ending which is why I think they are definitely going to be connected, but not in a direct way. There is going to be a lot of destruction and I just can't shake the fact that the structure in Alien and the ship in Prometheus look so much alike, not to mention that the ship crashes in the trailer, and seems to cause a lot of problems for the people that are there, hence why I'm thinking that these people are the ones that set off the distress beacon that alerts the people in Alien. Idk, I'm not betting money on it, but it seems highly likely that this may be the case, imagine the goose bumps you get if it ends with someone flipping the distress beacon and then seeing some small glimmer of the ship in Alien, that would be insanely cool.
  • electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited March 2012
    I meant by "Aliens" I was referring to the Universe Scott created. I for one have never seen any of the those movies except AvP. Which I liked.
    oh man, you gotta watch Alien, it is one of the classics. watch the directors cut version in 1080p, classic sci fi right there.
  • FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    It's directly tied the "Alien" franchise, Guy Pierce plays a Weiland who is the company who employs the cast of the "Alien" movie. Also in that trailer, you see the Space Jockey, a facehugger and what looks to be the form of a xenomorph. This film is the one I'm most excited for this summer more so than Avengers or Dark Knight.
    for me it's Prometheus, then Dark Knight Rises, then The Avengers
    for me it's Prometheus, then Dark Knight Rises, then The Avengers
    Same Here
    :\">
    you are my first +1 for Like on this new forum :D
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Not a big fan of the Alien movies, just couldn't get into them. I will say though that the imagery in some of those are incredible. This was the first time I've seen the trailer for this. It truly looks sick to no end. Looks like my dad and I are gonna get an extra guys night out.
    you are my first +1 for Like on this new forum :D
    Thanks, I wont let you down.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Looks interesting. I'm down for it.

But I noticed a lack of Star City destruction...
    Looks interesting. I'm down for it.

But I noticed a lack of Star City destruction...
    star city destruction?
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm looking forward to this
    @JohnTilton

Cry for Justice reference.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    As others have said, this is the movie of the summer for me. Edging just ahead of Dark Knight Rises. I spent real (too much) time nerding out on the Alien movies when I was a kid, and after being let down (but of course still showing up for) so many stinkers like AvP, this really feels like we get to get more of what we got in Alien. Only now Scott and his people have a lot more money and exponentially more technology at their disposal.

That said, I do think I get why Scott made a firm decision to not let this be thought of as a prequel to Alien, even though it is clearly set at an earlier point of the same timeline: I think, in the post Episode 1 age, prequel is a dirty word. And it may also be the case that, even if this ends up being the story of how that ship with the eggs ended up where the crew of the Nostromo found it, it may also be that this is meant to be a story that can stand on its own, and he wants it to be taken on those merits. Sometimes a prequel is meant to be one giant 'Easter Egg'. One big wink at prior knowledge, at the expense of having a story of its own to tell. And (hopefully) Prometheus is not that. So even at the potential box office expense of playing coy with the Alien fans, I can guess why he has played it that way.

It may also be that- for all the familiar elements- Prometheus might not have a full-grown alien in it. We might just see eggs or a facehugger. It may be that the danger of what that ship represents is understood if not, in this movie, realized yet. So I could see where Scott wouldn't want to build up an expectation that this is a capital-A capital-P "Alien Prequel" to end up with the backlash that "It's an Alien Prequel with no #$&(ing Aliens in it!", if that is the case.

Anyway, simply put, I am psyched. This may be the first midnight showing of a movie I have done in years.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    We Swiss are particularly proud that H.R.Giger's designs will again be featured on the big screen.

On the subject of collaborating with H.R. Giger, Scott said,
    …yeah, I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he’s doing a little bit of work for me. He’s been doing some murals, big murals, which we’ll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we’re gonna go.

Switzerland rocks 3:-O
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    As others have said, this is the movie of the summer for me.... I spent real (too much) time nerding out on the Alien movies when I was a kid, and after being let down (but of course still showing up for) so many stinkers like AvP, this really feels like we get to get more of what we got in Alien. Only now Scott and his people have a lot more money and exponentially more technology at their disposal.
    I can't put it in better words.

I wasn't born when Alien came out; I was 5/6 when Aliens was released (I missed that one in theaters); Alien 3 I was 12 (by that time I had seen 1-2 and ended up seeing 3 shortly after it was released on VHS); so Resurrection was the first "Alien" Movie I saw in theaters. Even then that didn't feel like 1/2 or even 3. It felt like a "blockbuster". So Prometheus feels like it is going to be the first real Alien movie I will get to experience in the theater. I'm not missing that.

I don't counts AvP as an Alien movie, just like Preadtors isn't a Predator movie. AvPs and Predators are movies for little boys.
    As others have said, this is the movie of the summer for me.... I spent real (too much) time nerding out on the Alien movies when I was a kid, and after being let down (but of course still showing up for) so many stinkers like AvP, this really feels like we get to get more of what we got in Alien. Only now Scott and his people have a lot more money and exponentially more technology at their disposal.
    I can't put it in better words.

I wasn't born when Alien came out; I was 5/6 when Aliens was released (I missed that one in theaters); Alien 3 I was 12 (by that time I had seen 1-2 and ended up seeing 3 shortly after it was released on VHS); so Resurrection was the first "Alien" Movie I saw in theaters. Even then that didn't feel like 1/2 or even 3. It felt like a "blockbuster". So Prometheus feels like it is going to be the first real Alien movie I will get to experience in the theater. I'm not missing that.

I don't counts AvP as an Alien movie, just like Preadtors isn't a Predator movie. AvPs and Predators are movies for little boys.
    I agree that I don't really count them, too. Heck, I mostly forget everything about Resurrection, as well, so I suppose I don't count that one. Of course I showed up opening day on all of those, sort of like a dog who swears he's buried a bone somewhere (yes, that line is stolen), and never found what I was looking for.

But Prometheus might FINALLY be it.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @David_d

The huge problem I had with AvP (and Predators for that matter) is that I had been waiting to see an Aliens vs Predator movie since Predator 2 (I was like 10/11 when I saw that on vhs). I still remember how awesome it was seeing the xenomorph skull in the trophy room. Those movies were about dudes/Predators being manly, "I ain't got time to bleed" type manly. The Aliens were scary killing machines. It should have been awesome.

Instead AvP was the Twillight version of manly movies.
    @David_d

The huge problem I had with AvP (and Predators for that matter) is that I had been waiting to see an Aliens vs Predator movie since Predator 2 (I was like 10/11 when I saw that on vhs). I still remember how awesome it was seeing the xenomorph skull in the trophy room. Those movies were about dudes/Predators being manly, "I ain't got time to bleed" type manly. The Aliens were scary killing machines. It should have been awesome.

Instead AvP was the Twillight version of manly movies.
    Ha! Indeed.

I also remember the geekout moment of seeing that skull. There was an audible reaction in the theater. (At least my own, though I wasn't the only one).
    How... how did they screw up AVP?

I'm sure Dark Horse facepalmed many a time those years.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Tonight before "The Hunger Games" I saw a trailer for Prometheus that I hadn't seen before. In it I didn't see a face hugger or the space jockey. I am still really excited to see it . But I am thinking about waiting on Blu ray to see it . Mainly cause the theater in town isn't the best .And I doubt I will be able to make a trip to Biloxi to see it at a good theater.