Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1438 Talkback - Previews

Hey, it's Previews! We go through the November catalog for items shipping to stores starting in January. (1:33:00)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If I remember right the X-Files Conspiaracy issues are bookends with X-Files/Ghostbusters, X-Files/TMNT and X-Files/Transformers inbetween, like Infestation. Would have been cool to see an X-Files/Dr. Who.

I really like these crossovers that IDW has been doing. I had better see a Samurai Jack/TMNT crossover. MLP/Judge Dredd anybody?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Pimp is correct. If you can't grab it by the legs and beat your little brother with it, it's not a GI Joe.
  • Options
    I would like to point out that Gasoline Alley is still published daily and is still relatively real-time, especially compared to any other strip.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Gasoline Alley has a couple of new reprint collections available via Amazon. Look under "Walt & Skeezix." Walt actually made a cameo appearance recently in the current Dick Tracy strip. Skeezix, who was an orphan found on Walt's doorstep, is still in the strip today as an elderly man.

The current run can be found everyday at Gocomics.com:

http://www.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/
  • Options
    rebis said:

Pimp is correct. If you can't grab it by the legs and beat your little brother with it, it's not a GI Joe.

While funny I have to respectfully disagree. I started with GI Joe A Real American Hero toys and that is my GI Joe.

There is plenty of room in my head to enjoy the classic Joes line though. They really did some amazing accessories and vehicles.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited November 2013
    Jamie was thinking of the "Court of Owls" villains month one-shot. I thought "Talon" started off great (and this is coming from someone who didn't particularly like the concept in the first place), but I stopped getting it around issue 6. I the second trade collection is a return to form, though, I'd definitely be interested in picking that up.

I echo the sentiments of Bryan: that old Doug Moench/Kelley Jones "Batman" run was one of my favorites. Such a spooky, atmospheric take. Maybe it's a bit of an acquired taste (because some people really, REALLY can't get over the long ears--GET OVER IT!), but I flat-out loved it. I'm really glad that they're finally collecting it in nice hardcovers.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Regarding Marvel's offering, I agree with Bryan. They're producing such a large amount of quality product that I honestly don't know what to do. I dropped pretty much the entirety of my Marvel purchases during X-Men vs Avengers because I was feeling overwhelmed and burnt out on events and the colossal number of ancillary tie-in books. Couple that with the jump to $3.99 and that did me in.

However, I continued to buy THOR and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY, and have since gotten some other choice books digitally like AVENGERS and MIGHTY AVENGERS. But my heart will always lie with print and I've been debating whether or not I want to jump back in.

But Lord Almighty that will make my monthly budget scream. I've found a number of non-Marvel books I really enjoy that I'll keep getting as well regardless, and the prospect of once again having a monthly comic bill well over $100+ is unappealing to say the least. Trades are an option of course, but I've got some ground to cover on those as well.

*sigh*

Honestly, I know we're in a 90s-like comic boom at the moment but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eagerly anticipating another bubble-pop and crash. I just want a single quality Avengers book again and a potential bill that doesn't scare me.

For example, the series I currently collect or soon will be:

AMAZING X-MEN
    ASTRO CITY
    AVENGERS (digitally)
    FEARLESS DEFENDERS (ending soon)
    FRACTURE (limited)
    GOD IS DEAD
    LEGENDS OF RED SONJA (limited)
    MIGHTY AVENGERS (digitally)
    MIRACLEMAN (limited?)
    RED SONJA
    REVOLUTIONARY WAR TITLES
    THOR GOD OF THUNDER
    THUNDER AGENTS
    TRIPLE HELIX (limited)
    VELVET

And titles I'd like to once again get on a monthly basis in print:

AVENGERS
    AVENGERS WORLD
    AVENGERS A.I.
    MIGHTY AVENGERS
    NEW AVENGERS
    SECRET AVENGERS
    UNCANNY AVENGERS
    ALL-NEW X-MEN
    AMAZING X-MEN
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
    NOVA
    ALL-NEW INVADERS
    INHUMAN
    ALL-NEW X-FACTOR
    FANTASTIC FOUR

So as you can see, that would be murder on my budget. Plus, my wife would kill me. :D They're not making it easy, that's for sure.
  • Options
    I'm a turtle. I'm a big turtle and I'm pregnant.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Still having trouble downloading episodes through the RSS feed in the post pants era
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I don't think I'll have the room for it in my budget, but that Moench/Jones Batman book has me really curious. The few issues I read of that run were really good. I remember there was one really good 2 or 3 part team-up with Deadman in there.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I need to have my copy of Previews handy when I listen. These are fun episodes because it seems like I'm making buying decisions right along with the CGS crew...

Thanks for another prompt and excellent episode guys!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I don't think I'll have the room for it in my budget, but that Moench/Jones Batman book has me really curious. The few issues I read of that run were really good. I remember there was one really good 2 or 3 part team-up with Deadman in there.

Yeah, it was a three-parter. With glow-in-the-dark covers, if I remember right. Yes, it was the '90s, but those were cool. Really spooky and fitting, with Kelley Jones art.

Pretty much the entire run was composed of two-(and the occasional three-)parters. I loved it. I'm sure that people can look back and say, "Oh, this Moench dialogue is dated." Or: "Kelley Jones art here is so anatomically incorrect that it just seems sloppy to me." But I loved it. I loved the feel of the stories. I love how Moench set everything up, and I loved how Kelley Jones drew it. The gothic atmosphere was perfect, and a very good psychological undertone was developed. There was also an ongoing love-interest with "Vesper Fairchild", a radio show host who sort of analyzed the Batman phenomenon (if I remember right). Too bad the run was cut short. They were sort of building a mystery with a puppet master figure who was slowly moving into the foreground.

There's a really great Sidebar podcast from several years ago in which the guys interview Jones about this run.
  • Options
    Twilight Zone isn't one-and-done? Thanks for saving me from buying it.
  • Options

Twilight Zone isn't one-and-done? Thanks for saving me from buying it.

Sad truth is that the anthology format is pretty much dead these days.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Thor_El said:

Regarding Marvel's offering, I agree with Bryan. They're producing such a large amount of quality product that I honestly don't know what to do. I dropped pretty much the entirety of my Marvel purchases during X-Men vs Avengers because I was feeling overwhelmed and burnt out on events and the colossal number of ancillary tie-in books. Couple that with the jump to $3.99 and that did me in.

However, I continued to buy THOR and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY, and have since gotten some other choice books digitally like AVENGERS and MIGHTY AVENGERS. But my heart will always lie with print and I've been debating whether or not I want to jump back in.

But Lord Almighty that will make my monthly budget scream. I've found a number of non-Marvel books I really enjoy that I'll keep getting as well regardless, and the prospect of once again having a monthly comic bill well over $100+ is unappealing to say the least. Trades are an option of course, but I've got some ground to cover on those as well.

*sigh*

Honestly, I know we're in a 90s-like comic boom at the moment but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eagerly anticipating another bubble-pop and crash. I just want a single quality Avengers book again and a potential bill that doesn't scare me.

For example, the series I currently collect or soon will be:

AMAZING X-MEN
    ASTRO CITY
    AVENGERS (digitally)
    FEARLESS DEFENDERS (ending soon)
    FRACTURE (limited)
    GOD IS DEAD
    LEGENDS OF RED SONJA (limited)
    MIGHTY AVENGERS (digitally)
    MIRACLEMAN (limited?)
    RED SONJA
    REVOLUTIONARY WAR TITLES
    THOR GOD OF THUNDER
    THUNDER AGENTS
    TRIPLE HELIX (limited)
    VELVET

And titles I'd like to once again get on a monthly basis in print:

AVENGERS
    AVENGERS WORLD
    AVENGERS A.I.
    MIGHTY AVENGERS
    NEW AVENGERS
    SECRET AVENGERS
    UNCANNY AVENGERS
    ALL-NEW X-MEN
    AMAZING X-MEN
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
    NOVA
    ALL-NEW INVADERS
    INHUMAN
    ALL-NEW X-FACTOR
    FANTASTIC FOUR

So as you can see, that would be murder on my budget. Plus, my wife would kill me. :D They're not making it easy, that's for sure.

I don't know what your relationship is to digital, or if you have a tablet or device that lends itself to easy reading, but for me, Marvel Unlimited has made a huge difference. There is a lot of work coming out of Marvel these days that I want to read, and what has taken the edge off of feeling overwhelmed or $3.99/double-shipped priced out is that I let myself hold off on a lot of books that I know I can catch up on later on Marvel Unlimited. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four/FF, Secret Avengers, the Ultimate line, Superior Spider-Man, and more. It is a great bang for the buck value.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thor_El said:

Two suggestions:

1) Discount Comic Book Service. I've never used it but I use Instocktrades all the time. I know many people who lean on DCBS's discounts to get them through times of chronic comic addiction. :)

2) Do what I do and subscribe to comics from Marvel via magazines.com and Ebates. I get everything for $1.50 an issue, and I have a friend who pays me that amount for every digital code anyway. All you need is a Paypal account and an Ebates account. Go to magazines.com through the Ebates portal, and you'll eventually get an extra 40% back on the listed price, which works out to $1.49.99999 per issue for Marvel comics. I'd give the service a B+. It's not bad. But... I live in the northeast U.S. Not sure what condition the comics would arrive in if they had to make a longer journey in the postal system, or how long it would take. But, at the moment I subscribe to 13 Marvel series this way. Without it I'd maybe be buying 3. (Note: the Ebates discount at magazines.com varies back and forth from 26% to 40%. It's 40% at the moment.)
  • Options
    @David_D and @Elsiebub, thanks for the suggestions. I've already been getting my books from DCBS for several years now so I agree that helps but even with their discount the total still creeps into uncomfortable range.

Odds are I'll just keep missing stuff I want to read. The sad part is I'm feeling less and less invested in comics these days as a result, and could actually see myself leaving the hobby entirely eventually. And for a life-long comic reader like myself that would have once been unthinkable.
  • Options
    I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it should be noted that the Rio by Doug Wildey volume from IDW isn't just a reprint. It's pretty much a smaller-sized Artist's Edition. All but ten pages were scanned from the original artwork, much of which Wildey colored himself with watercolors. It also includes a few pieces from the "Movie Cowboy" era as filler pages between stories.
  • Options
    ArKayArKay Posts: 2
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Rio is a really pretty book. I got the hc when IDW released it last year/2 years ago. It looks great. I've not finished the whole thing.

What I'm waiting for is a collection of Blueberry (come on rightholder reprint something already).
  • Options
    I picked up one of the Panini Doctor Who comic collections recently (one of the 8th Doctor ones), and though they're pricey they're very nice books... a nice chunk of comics in that larger European album size. I think the first collection of the 8th Doctor strips is out of print, but the one I picked up, The Glorious Dead, has several Roger Langridge stories in it, including a crazy looking 40th anniversary story with all (at the time) 8 Doctors and pretty much every important villain or monster. Worth checking out.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Darkhorse: Okay, I'll have to consider that Hellboy hardcover. I think Bryan's definitely right about the reason why Serenity's not a regular series. OTR1: Elquest. Okay...
    DC: Still into Forever Evil, it's okay. I'll get it and the three JL books, plus Wonder Woman, Batman and Astro City. OTR2: Dectective #27. Oh goodness, look at that price!!! Well, as Murd said, at least there's a DCBS discount AND due to the page count it's actually cheaper than a 2.99 comic.
    IDW: Nothing here...
    Image: Deadly Class and Egos look interesting. I think I'll get those...plus my usual Velvet, Lazarus and Fatale.
    Marvel: Tempted to get the DCBS bundle here! Sixteen issues for only $31.42! OTR3: All-New Invaders. Okay, yeah. Interesting. If I get it, it'll be part of the bundle.
    Other: I'll be getting Peanuts and probably Letter #44...
    As usual, thanks guys for helping me out with my order this month!
    @JamieD: Let's see, Uncle Sal was last on June 30th, right? Will we see him on the show in December? Or is it wait til next year? It's usually every 6 months.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Oh, Uncle Sal....I do hope that Pants returns for that.
  • Options
    @adam_murdough - I think the Revolutionary War is being done just for me, ive been waiting with no hope for a Marvel UK come back for years!
    Deaths Head I and II teaming up! Hell yeah!
  • Options
    Revolutionary War sounds kind of interesting. I'm hoping we manage to get reprints of the original Death's Head series as some sort of offshoot of that, but I can't imagine the Transformers or Doctor Who crossovers make that particularly feasible.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the Revolutionary War as well. I enjoyed the Marvek UK books when they were out, and any chance to see Union Jack again and even Captain Britain is always most welcome.