Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Comments

• Options
    You know, the funny thing about The Amazing Spider-Man is that I only recently saw it.

I remember when it came out, I had zero interest... which was shocking, because I was talking with a friend about it and said this:

"Can you believe the embarrassment of riches we have? I mean, what would 13 year old Billy think about a Spider-Man film coming out and hearing me say I was not interested in seeing it?"

My friends, we reached that moment - the moment when simply being a comic book film wasn't enough for me to go to the theater. I needed to believe it was worth my time.

This is the Golden Age, people.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited December 2013
    WetRats said:

jaydee74 said:

First off, the Spider-Man costume has never looked better.

Seconded.
    Thirded. That costume in ASM is what kept and still has kept me away from seeing that movie. And the shiny shoes have a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

This is the Golden Age, people.

Agree 100%

And take a peek at what that Blu-Ray sold for...

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Okay, so I read Jamie Foxx described his character as:

'works for Oscorp Industries, "a nobody" who initially idolizes Spider-Man. He develops an obsession with Spider-Man after being saved by him and obtains his powers through an accident at Oscorp involving electric eels'

Kind of sounds like Batman Forever's Riddler, right?

M
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Matt said:

'works for Oscorp Industries, "a nobody" who initially idolizes Spider-Man. He develops an obsession with Spider-Man after being saved by him and obtains his powers through an accident at Oscorp involving electric eels'

M

It just raises too many questions. ;)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Extended look at ASM2 (I'm excited!)
    http://youtu.be/dW5u_y27LmQ
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    There's three threads for ASM2. Could we get an amalgamation?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

M

there was a Batman Forever? Hmmmmm. no record of that ever existing in the ole mental databanks...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    fredzilla said:

Agree.

In the meantime, here is the 3.5-minute sizzle reel that debuted yesterday. Lot's of shiny stuff in this extended trailer. Foxx's character is featured prominently in this and I have to agree with @Matt on the Batman Forever Riddler comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHA9OcJ1gg

It does seem to have a bit of an unattractive Joel Schumacher sheen to it...
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2014
    I was skeptical.
    I have some friends that worked on it, and they said it is a total hot mess.

But Damn it! now I'm so excited!
  • Options
    I've said it before, and I say it again... it has a bit of a Joel Schumacher sheen to it...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

At first I was like "Giamatti? Really?" because it seemed like a waste of talent. You're going to put him the Rhino suit and let him run around smashing stuff? Maybe the occasional growling line at Spidey? It may work yet, though. We'll have to see.

Now that we know the Rhino suit is a mech and not whatever nonsense it was in the comics (indestrucible hide? Sometimes?) How do we feel about Giamatti now that the physical aspect has been taken out of the question. Clearly there was a lot of grousing a year ago.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

At first I was like "Giamatti? Really?" because it seemed like a waste of talent. You're going to put him the Rhino suit and let him run around smashing stuff? Maybe the occasional growling line at Spidey? It may work yet, though. We'll have to see.

Now that we know the Rhino suit is a mech and not whatever nonsense it was in the comics (indestrucible hide? Sometimes?) How do we feel about Giamatti now that the physical aspect has been taken out of the question. Clearly there was a lot of grousing a year ago.
    I'm already bias as I wasn't a fan of ASM or Ultimate Spider-man, so I'm not going to bash this movie. I do want to respond though.

I'd prefer more of an exoskeleton to a mechanical suit. This kind of reminds me of a transformer or at least a non-spider, Spider-Slayer. If you can't get Paul back, you could have another person be Rhino. So now, rather then Aleksei Mikhailovich Sytsevich be bonded to his rhino hide, you could have Stevie Guyson still the mechanical suit & be Rhino in ASM3.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Meh. Not interested in ASM2. ASM was OK. maybe i'll see it eventually, but nothing about the marketing makes me want to see the sequel.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    fredzilla said:

Done!
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'm already bias as I wasn't a fan of ASM or Ultimate Spider-man, so I'm not going to bash this movie. I do want to respond though.

@Matt - curious, does this statement above indicate that you prefer that people who are not a fan of the subject matter at hand not comment on the subject or the future of projects related to that subject? I am just asking. And if so, why or why not?
    Planeis said:

Meh. Not interested in ASM2. ASM was OK. maybe i'll see it eventually, but nothing about the marketing makes me want to see the sequel.

This is definitely a DVD viewing for me, but not a theatrical run. Just not compelled by anything I'm seeing.

• Options

Matt said:

@Matt - curious, does this statement above indicate that you prefer that people who are not a fan of the subject matter at hand not comment on the subject or the future of projects related to that subject? I am just asking. And if so, why or why not?
    Planeis said:

This is definitely a DVD viewing for me, but not a theatrical run. Just not compelled by anything I'm seeing.

I'm just being straightforward with my subjective input. If you dislike something, its easy to find fault with it. Knowing that from the get go of my input, you can take it for what its worth.

I could easily pick apart everything I don't like about ASM and the bits I've seen of ASM2. Its a waste of everyone's time though. I'll probably never grow to like this series, which is okay. It's also not my place to dissway those who do like the movie.

Just because the series isn't for me doesn't mean its not good. I just (mostly) prefer Raimi's version.

Giving input on the look of Rhino wasn't to bash the movie or the look. Just voice my answer to the question.

M
  • Options
    Got it.

And I prefer Raimi's take as well - mostly.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Got it.

except for part 3.........................
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Got it.

except for part 3.........................
    Hence the "mostly" :)

• Options
    Raimi's Spidey was missing the wisecracks, which is a feather in ASM's hat. Almost to the minute, the first half of 3 is watchable. Once he street dances, its all down hill....like Wyle E. Coyote with an anvil!

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

Raimi's Spidey was missing the wisecracks, which is a feather in ASM's hat. Almost to the minute, the first half of 3 is watchable. Once he street dances, its all down hill....like Wyle E. Coyote with an anvil!

M

yup. 100% agree. apparently "evil" Peter is John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever.
  • Options
    I don't expect much from this movie, to be honest, especially with it wedged between the Winter Soldier and the X-Men, all within seven weeks. I didn't like the way they portrayed Peter - as a show-off and a kind of a jerk - nor did I like the Oscorp Peter's-parents corporate intrigue plot being shoehorned in there. Raimi's version wasn't flawless (hello, Kirsten), but I liked it a lot better.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting a bad movie, full of sound and fury, but signifying nothing.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Whirlwind said:

I'm expecting a bad movie, full of sound and fury, but signifying nothing.

Probably a safe bet... maybe even worse than Spider-Man 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAd9FNvdmak
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

Actually its when he dances a second time is when it lost me and the scene with Harry and Mary Jane dancing before didn't help either. Spidey 3 got bogged down by the 3's - 3 villians, 3 dance scenes, 3 plots, and 3 scenes with obnoxious kids. But yeah the movie was on point for the first half or so.

I have still not scene ASM but will in anticipation for the sequel. I guess it helps they went back (should not have left) to the classic looking costume. The action looks good and as long as I get some good action scenes I will be happy. Don't need the whole conspiracy plot.
  • Options
    Just watched the "Electro Rising" trailer and I have to admit, if I hadn't seen the first one, hadn't see the previous promos, trailers and spots and didn't know that this movie had at least 3 villains in it... I'd be excited. It was easily the best this movie has looked.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Matt said:

M

Actually its when he dances a second time is when it lost me and the scene with Harry and Mary Jane dancing before didn't help either. Spidey 3 got bogged down by the 3's - 3 villians, 3 dance scenes, 3 plots, and 3 scenes with obnoxious kids. But yeah the movie was on point for the first half or so.

I have still not scene ASM but will in anticipation for the sequel. I guess it helps they went back (should not have left) to the classic looking costume. The action looks good and as long as I get some good action scenes I will be happy. Don't need the whole conspiracy plot.
    The moment when Harry and Mary Jane danced to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" was the moment when I realized Raimi was too far removed from his teenage years to successfully do those films anymore. Even Franco and Dunst couldn't sell characters of that age getting into a song that clearly wouldn't have much relevance to their generation. These were characters that I presume were supposed to be in their early to mid '20s, but they were acting like a bunch of 40 year olds.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Matt said:

M

The moment when Harry and Mary Jane danced to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" was the moment when I realized Raimi was too far removed from his teenage years to successfully do those films anymore. Even Franco and Dunst couldn't sell characters of that age getting into a song that clearly wouldn't have much relevance to their generation. These were characters that I presume were supposed to be in their early to mid '20s, but they were acting like a bunch of 40 year olds.
    A part of me wants to believe Raimi saw it was a sinking ship anyway. Why not fire a cannonball into its own hull?

M

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

M

A part of me wants to believe Raimi saw it was a sinking ship anyway. Why not fire a cannonball into its own hull?

M

That's sort of how I felt from the start of the film.

After taking the time to establish that Jameson's son is an astronaut, he's returned from space, and he's involved with Mary Jane, Raimi's choice to introduce the alien lifeform that becomes Venom is...

... to have it randomly land a few feet away from Peter and Mary Jane while they're in a park? That just totally screams "I don't give a f***" to me.