Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Amazing Spider-Man 2

124»

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    chrisw said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

Raimi's Spidey was missing the wisecracks, which is a feather in ASM's hat. Almost to the minute, the first half of 3 is watchable. Once he street dances, its all down hill....like Wyle E. Coyote with an anvil!

M

Actually its when he dances a second time is when it lost me and the scene with Harry and Mary Jane dancing before didn't help either. Spidey 3 got bogged down by the 3's - 3 villians, 3 dance scenes, 3 plots, and 3 scenes with obnoxious kids. But yeah the movie was on point for the first half or so.

I have still not scene ASM but will in anticipation for the sequel. I guess it helps they went back (should not have left) to the classic looking costume. The action looks good and as long as I get some good action scenes I will be happy. Don't need the whole conspiracy plot.
    The moment when Harry and Mary Jane danced to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" was the moment when I realized Raimi was too far removed from his teenage years to successfully do those films anymore. Even Franco and Dunst couldn't sell characters of that age getting into a song that clearly wouldn't have much relevance to their generation. These were characters that I presume were supposed to be in their early to mid '20s, but they were acting like a bunch of 40 year olds.
    A part of me wants to believe Raimi saw it was a sinking ship anyway. Why not fire a cannonball into its own hull?

M

That's sort of how I felt from the start of the film.

After taking the time to establish that Jameson's son is an astronaut, he's returned from space, and he's involved with Mary Jane, Raimi's choice to introduce the alien lifeform that becomes Venom is...

... to have it randomly land a few feet away from Peter and Mary Jane while they're in a park? That just totally screams "I don't give a f***" to me.
    I agree. Plus, knowing #SweetAnne Hathaway was casted as Black Cat, then using her to further a love-triangle & have Parker acting more immature and close to crossing lines makes more sense then crowbarring Gwen Stacey into the movie.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

Raimi's Spidey was missing the wisecracks, which is a feather in ASM's hat. Almost to the minute, the first half of 3 is watchable. Once he street dances, its all down hill....like Wyle E. Coyote with an anvil!

M

Actually its when he dances a second time is when it lost me and the scene with Harry and Mary Jane dancing before didn't help either. Spidey 3 got bogged down by the 3's - 3 villians, 3 dance scenes, 3 plots, and 3 scenes with obnoxious kids. But yeah the movie was on point for the first half or so.

I have still not scene ASM but will in anticipation for the sequel. I guess it helps they went back (should not have left) to the classic looking costume. The action looks good and as long as I get some good action scenes I will be happy. Don't need the whole conspiracy plot.
    The moment when Harry and Mary Jane danced to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" was the moment when I realized Raimi was too far removed from his teenage years to successfully do those films anymore. Even Franco and Dunst couldn't sell characters of that age getting into a song that clearly wouldn't have much relevance to their generation. These were characters that I presume were supposed to be in their early to mid '20s, but they were acting like a bunch of 40 year olds.
    A part of me wants to believe Raimi saw it was a sinking ship anyway. Why not fire a cannonball into its own hull?

M

That's sort of how I felt from the start of the film.

After taking the time to establish that Jameson's son is an astronaut, he's returned from space, and he's involved with Mary Jane, Raimi's choice to introduce the alien lifeform that becomes Venom is...

... to have it randomly land a few feet away from Peter and Mary Jane while they're in a park? That just totally screams "I don't give a f***" to me.
    I agree. Plus, knowing #SweetAnne Hathaway was casted as Black Cat, then using her to further a love-triangle & have Parker acting more immature and close to crossing lines makes more sense then crowbarring Gwen Stacey into the movie.

M
    Yeah, that was another thing - surely Raimi knew how important the Staceys were to the franchise, yet he casts two prominent actors in the roles and then does nothing with them. I didn't even feel like they were properly set up to be effective in the next film. I'm amazed he was even considering directing a fourth installment after doing such a slapdash job on the third.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    A couple of new clips I saw this morning on Bleeding Cool. I really like the first one.

http://youtu.be/QrjwqQS9KcA

http://youtu.be/7k-dntIiuac

I hope they fix the sound for Spidey in the second clip. I understand that he's talking through a mask, but it's kinda Tom Hardy/Bane mumbly. Maybe that was how it was for the first film, but I just don't remember. It sounds bad now.
  • Options
    This is a "spoiler" about the mid credits scene for ASM2.... here. Uh really? I understand the terms of the deal and all, but doesn't this seem kind of confusing, giving people hope that will never come to pass?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

This is a "spoiler" about the mid credits scene for ASM2.... here. Uh really? I understand the terms of the deal and all, but doesn't this seem kind of confusing, giving people hope that will never come to pass?

Sort of an odd choice...

• Options

Which movie is this designed to help?

M
  • Options
    I'm calling it right now, Felicia Hardy is underused & miscasted.

That, and I'm betting Emma Stones' ASM3 role will be more cameo/Old Ben Kenobi.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Which movie is this designed to help?

M
    Yes. What exactly is the point? Not wanting fans of comic book movies to be disappointed that there's no end credits scene?
  • Options
    Watched the movie today and I was really disappointed. Didnt think it was very good at all and fell apart under too many plot points.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Watched it at the weekend. I enjoyed it, but it felt very bity to me. Wasn't a very coherent story but rather jumped around a lot.

I much prefer Andrew Garfield in the role to Tobey Maguire and think he delivered a great, funny performance again.

Emma Stone again, a great performance. I forget his name the guy play Harry Osbourne was really good too.

All in all I felt this was more a set up for third movie then solid stand alone.

Good, but not great.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    That seems to be the general conscensus. Garfield and Stone are fantastic but the rest of the movie is kind of Meh. That is a shame.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If you missed the X-Men Easter Egg FOX placed at the end of Sony's Amazing Spider-Man 2 end credits? Not to worry. Watch it from IGN...

http://youtu.be/LumZrhi3HDY
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I loved it, (I'm really starting to question if my perception of movies and shows are completely off base or not when compared to everyone here)

I thought it played out great as a comic book to movie. Garfield is head and shoulders ahead of Tobey Macguire as far as Peter Parker goes. The guy that plays Harry always creeps me out a little bit, and I guess my biggest turn off to the movie was his illness seemed really rushed. I'm glad the big fight scene ended how it was suppose to.

The only thing I didn't get was why someone in the theater started cutting up onions during the last Rhino fight scene.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

I loved it, (I'm really starting to question if my perception of movies and shows are completely off base or not when compared to everyone here)

I thought it played out great as a comic book to movie. Garfield is head and shoulders ahead of Tobey Macguire as far as Peter Parker goes. The guy that plays Harry always creeps me out a little bit, and I guess my biggest turn off to the movie was his illness seemed really rushed. I'm glad the big fight scene ended how it was suppose to.

The only thing I didn't get was why someone in the theater started cutting up onions during the last Rhino fight scene.

Has Garfield's portrayal improved since ASM? I just couldn't buy him in the role as I did Tobey Maguire.

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Matt said:

Krescan said:

Has Garfield's portrayal improved since ASM? I just couldn't buy him in the role as I did Tobey Maguire.

M
    I liked him in the first one, it seemed like the funny lines are more genuine from Garfield than from Maguire.

Plus he was never in Spider-Man 3 so he's got that going for him. It has been a while since I saw 1 or 2 so I might need to have a refresher to be completely fair.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I thought Garfield was better in the new film than he was in the previous one. I was lukewarm towards the first film, but thought the new one was much better on all counts, including Garfield's performance.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I liked him in costume more in this film since they went to the more classic looking costume but I'm not on the Garfield-Parker love train. The next movie he needs to age more I'm not buying him as a 30 year-old playing a 19 year-old. I thought they were going to be 2 or 3 years in college in this movie. I was able to buy Toby as younger.

I really hope they do a movie where he is Spider-man for nearly whole movie. Day in the life of Spider-man. No major threat to the city scenarios. He does Spider-man very well.

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

I

I really hope they do a movie where he is Spider-man for nearly whole movie. Day in the life of Spider-man. No major threat to the city scenarios. He does Spider-man very well.

That would never happen. How could you market it? This is the spider-man movie where nothing significant is going to happen and the stakes are super-low? I love stories like that but I can't imagine a studio exec thinking that's going to sell tickets.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I

That would never happen. How could you market it? This is the spider-man movie where nothing significant is going to happen and the stakes are super-low? I love stories like that but I can't imagine a studio exec thinking that's going to sell tickets.
    I was just thinking this morning, and I know this will never happen because he'll always be considered a top-tier character, but after five films I think Spider-Man would be better served on television. Something on cable, with a bigger budget, and a shorter season, so they can tell different stories and build up the drama in a way they simply can't with the expectations of an event film.

Spider-Man has always been one of the most soap opera like comics, but when each movie ends up being "supervillain plots to destroy New York", you lose all that. The films are feeling very similar to me at this point.

The structure of the current reboot, especially this recent one, feels like a season of television crammed into a two hour film, resulting in films that feel not quite big enough to be blockbusters, but not quite small enough to feel more personal. I've enjoyed them, but I never feel the same buzz about them that I do with Marvel's own films, or even the X-Men films.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It was almost assuredly too busy - enough plot points for like 4 movies here, and as a result they all suffered - but I still enjoyed most of it. Marvel does their own films better, but it was still a fun night out at the movies and I can see myself rewatching this down the road.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited May 2014
    I like the TV show idea. What worked best with Spider-man 2 was the moments of Parker luck. The pizza gig, washing his uniform (which the new movie lifted, and his rent issues.

So I think I used the wrong words "day in the life" but a storyline where there is action but not the huge explosions. Or Spider-detective or uses more of his science background like he and Gwen did to solve the web-shooter issue.

It's was too loud and I am old. Get off my lawn!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I liked him in costume more in this film since they went to the more classic looking costume but I'm not on the Garfield-Parker love train. The next movie he needs to age more I'm not buying him as a 30 year-old playing a 19 year-old. I thought they were going to be 2 or 3 years in college in this movie. I was able to buy Toby as younger.

It would probably be more then their budget, but perhaps the offerings from Netflix could do something like that.
  • Options
    miakittymiakitty Posts: 16
    azrael said:

bamfbamf said:

that looks like Orville Redenbacher right behind them lol. Caption? Orville Redenbacher:He's watching you kiss.

Orville Redenbacher go make some popcorn!