Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney buys rights to Indiana Jones

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    kiwijase said:

I've been trying to think of an actor who could fill Fords shoes as Indy. The closest I've come is Nathan Fillion, or possibly, Josh Brolin. Anyone else have somebody they'd like to see don the Fedora?

Again I say: Somebody you've never freaking heard of! If you've eaten in ten Manhattan restaurants, you've been served by at least one actor capable of carrying a major motion picture.

Spread the jobs around *and* save money!

Make stars, don't hire them!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

I've been trying to think of an actor who could fill Fords shoes as Indy. The closest I've come is Nathan Fillion, or possibly, Josh Brolin. Anyone else have somebody they'd like to see don the Fedora?

Again I say: Somebody you've never freaking heard of! If you've eaten in ten Manhattan restaurants, you've been served by at least one actor capable of carrying a major motion picture.

To start a franchise like Chris Helmsworth & Thor, okay. To continue a franchise, I don't know. I'd rather see someone like a Henry Cavill who had some type of resume & not pulled out of the woodwork.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

To start a franchise like Chris Helmsworth & Thor, okay. To continue a franchise, I don't know. I'd rather see someone like a Henry Cavill who had some type of resume & not pulled out of the woodwork.

M
    I thought you'd rather see nobody at all! ;)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

M
    No, I'd rather see Ford. Don't you follow the threads?!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

M

M
    Septuagenarian Harrison Ford?

He'll need an eyepatch!

youtube.com/watch?v=AQRbrFHu55E
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm pretty much over Harrison Ford. He's nearly 72 now and after the hypocrisy he's displayed over his "save the planet" schtick, well, let's put Indy to bed. After all, "it's not the age, honey it's the mileage."

Anyone see him trying to make us think about the pain the Earth feels when trees in a rainforest are cut down? From a celebrity who owns seven airplanes and one time flew a helicopter to get a cheeseburger no less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXAKVR6dp8

Try to stomach this until the 1:44 mark ~ at least the guy in this shoddy guerrilla interview tried to get Ford on the record as to whether Shia ruined Indy 4 or not. Ford could immediately regain my respect (as if he cares) if he'd go on the record contradicting George Lucas's claim that he had always intended Greedo to shoot first.

I have to agree with Harry Knowles of AICN when he said "Indiana Jones could be a character very much like James Bond. Think about it, when Sean Connery (first) left Bond, it was five pictures into that franchise, and the movies continued after the role was recast."

I'm also convinced it should be an unknown.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I'm pretty much over Harrison Ford. He's nearly 72 now and after the hypocrisy he's displayed over his "save the planet" schtick, well, let's put Indy to bed. After all, "it's not the age, honey it's the mileage."

Anyone see him trying to make us think about the pain the Earth feels when trees in a rainforest are cut down? From a celebrity who owns seven airplanes and one time flew a helicopter to get a cheeseburger no less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXAKVR6dp8

Try to stomach this until the 1:44 mark ~ at least the guy in this shoddy guerrilla interview tried to get Ford on the record as to whether Shia ruined Indy 4 or not. Ford could immediately regain my respect (as if he cares) if he'd go on the record contradicting George Lucas's claim that he had always intended Greedo to shoot first.

I have to agree with Harry Knowles of AICN when he said "Indiana Jones could be a character very much like James Bond. Think about it, when Sean Connery (first) left Bond, it was five pictures into that franchise, and the movies continued after the role was recast."

I'm also convinced it should be an unknown.

If I was 'over' every celebrity that I didn't agree with his/her political views, I'd be watching & listening to virtually nothing mainstream.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was the source material for Indiana Jones. There was no other medium (ie books, movies, shows, etc.) to reference. That's why I separate characters like Han & Indy from characters like Bond, Batman, & Superman. You can say Connery & the movies portrayed Bond differently then from the novels. You cannot say that about Ford with the Indiana Jones (or Han) character.

I'm against an unknown, because as many people who have said OHMSS was a really good Bond movie, I never hear "and that Lazenby guy was great." If they're going to reboot/relaunch/NOW! the franchise, I think its better to stick with someone who has been in movies, but hasn't broken through yet. Bale, Maguire, Cavill, Jackman all were acting in movies before their big break as an iconic character. I wouldn't want a well-known star, but he should have some type of a resume.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

M

M

He'll need an eyepatch!

If he can still play the role despite that age, sure. Shouldn't Indy get 1 final adventure?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

M

M

He'll need an eyepatch!

If he can still play the role despite that age, sure. Shouldn't Indy get 1 final adventure?

M
    He did.

A movie so bad that even Cate Blanchett and Karen Allen couldn't save it.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

M

M

He'll need an eyepatch!

M
    He did.

A movie so bad that even Cate Blanchett and Karen Allen couldn't save it.
    Not quite yet. We need one with Sallah, Willie Scott, & an adult Short Round. Mutt will have to be too busy returning to school to appear in the 5th one :(

M
  • Options

at least the guy in this shoddy guerrilla interview tried to get Ford on the record as to whether Shia ruined Indy 4 or not.

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg ruined Indy 4.

I'm not even gonna lay any blame on the scriptwriter for once, because he was just fleshing out Lucas' story. Like Mr. LaBeouf, he was in a "Garbage-In, Garbage Out" situation.

I don't know if Lucas and Spielberg were indulging Ford's vanity, or if this was an embarrassing attempt for all of them to recapture a golden moment of their collective youth... I hope they had a lot of fun making it, because I sure didn't have fun watching it.*

*Except for seeing Karen Allen again. She was the only reason I paid to see it. Recapturing a few golden moments of my own...
  • Options
    Holy crap.

This thread has made me think about a film that would feature the further adventures of Mutt Jones and an adult Short Round.

This happened. I had that thought.

You peope will all burn for this.

>:P
  • Options

Holy crap.

This thread has made me think about a film that would feature the further adventures of Mutt Jones and an adult Short Round.

You peope will all burn for this.

>:P

My inferno was dictated long before this seed was planted.

"Cover yo heart, Daddio!"

M
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Matt said:

M

Depends on the story I suppose...

Gosh. I kind of like that idea. They could start by visiting an elderly Indy in a retirement home or a bungalow in Beliz with a live-in assistant (or older Karen Allen) and he tells them about an important archeological find that got away and he has to radio instructions to them throughout the film, always having the right answer to the riddle, until the final one, when Mutt goes by his hunch which is opposite Indy's answer, and this time Mutt's right, but only because Short Round was there... or something along those lines.

Yes. I had that thought...

• Options
    edited December 2013

Matt said:

M

Depends on the story I suppose...

Gosh. I kind of like that idea. They could start by visiting an elderly Indy in a retirement home or a bungalow in Beliz with a live-in assistant (or older Karen Allen) and he tells them about an important archeological find that got away and he has to radio instructions to them throughout the film, always having the right answer to the riddle, until the final one, when Mutt goes by his hunch which is opposite Indy's answer, and this time Mutt's right, but only because Short Round was there... or something along those lines.

Yes. I had that thought...

If that's even considered a possible idea...I'm voting a new Indy actor. That's like expecting a great steak dinner & getting steak flavored tofu, shaped like a steak.

Mutt to the Indy franchise is what the kid did to Superman Returns.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

All those great-grandkids had to come from somewhere!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

All those great-grandkids had to come from somewhere!
    Strangely, they're missing from the DVD set.

On the series, I could stomach the kids. The movies not so much.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Strangely, they're missing from the DVD set.

I know. Made me sad.

It's nice someone went to the trouble to put them all on YouTube.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Matt said:

If that's even considered a possible idea...I'm voting a new Indy actor. That's like expecting a great steak dinner & getting steak flavored tofu, shaped like a steak.

M

Now if we're talking about replacing Shia as Mutt, I'm onboard however they decide to proceed ~ LOL
  • Options
    Now it appears that Shia has gotten himself into yet another fine mess...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/17/shia-labeoufs-even-stole-his-apology-for-stealing-dan-clowes-work/

Maybe an Indy reboot IS in our future, sans Mutt
  • Options
  • Options
    Honestly, I think the best way for Disney to handle Indiana Jones is a complete reboot.

Keep the series set in the 1930s, which is the most pulpy of eras.

As fond as I am of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (Li'l Indy aside), the character is at his best when he's tangling with Nazis.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    kiwijase said:

I know Fillion already wants to play that Uncharted guy. Close enough, eh?
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

kiwijase said:

I know Fillion already wants to play that Uncharted guy. Close enough, eh?
    Been watching Mad Men season six recently. How about John Hamm?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    random73 said:
    never mind THEM - Disney should read our thread. Gosh darn it!

• Options

random73 said:
    never mind THEM - Disney should read our thread. Gosh darn it!
    Well, my posts, anyway.
  • Options
    All of these Lucasfilm acquisitions by Disney can only mean one thing....

A Howard the Duck reboot!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71h3Mo3Lbro
    Disney + Marvel + Lucasfilm = no more Mr. Nice Duck 2015

Even Josh Whedon is pitching the idea - cheekily :)
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/5-geektastic-things-saturn-awards-195531717.html
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Maybe we have nothing to fear about a possible Shia return?