Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Anybody other than Harrison Ford you would want to see play Indiana Jones?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Joseph Gordon Levitt!
    ;;) :D ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2013
    random73 said:

In a movie, non-Young Indiana Jones capacity? No.

M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Since Ford pretty much stopped emoting they can just use the wax figure at Madame Tussauds. Stop motion done right is still nice to watch.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited December 2013
    Absolutely!

Preferably someone I haven't already seen in a dozen other roles.

There are so many great actors out there, Hollywood's casting conservatism bores the crap out of me.

Find someone as exciting and surprising as Viggo Mortensen was in LOTR, or Daniel Craig was in the Bond films.

MAKE a star, don't HIRE one.
  • Options
    Unless of course, Will Smith is available.

You can never go wrong with Will Smith!

;)
  • Options
    I, for one, certainly hope they continue with the wonder and glory of Mutt Williams Jones, allowing us to see the continued cinematic genius that is Sam the Beef (Shia LaBeouf)...

... is what I would say if I were insane.
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Really? I don't know what Disney plans to do with the property but I would expect some sort of Star Trek level reboot. You're telling me you want Harrison Ford or nothing. Am I tracking that right?
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Really? I don't know what Disney plans to do with the property but I would expect some sort of Star Trek level reboot. You're telling me you want Harrison Ford or nothing. Am I tracking that right?
    Well, yeah. It's Matt!

Matt likes things the way Matt likes things!

:D
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Much like with ASM reboot trilogy, I'm sure I'll get around to watching the movies, but I wouldn't be rushing to see it.

Unlike Bond, Batman, or Superman, there's no source material before the movie. So, yeah, I'd rather the role stay Ford's.

I really didn't give a crap about Star Trek before the reboot, so the alternate reality version doesn't bother me.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    This just means Patton Oswalt has to do a new speech.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Well, yeah. It's Matt!

Matt likes things the way Matt likes things!

:D
    To quote Michael Keaton's character in Desperate Measures "I am the Mambo King!"

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Really? I don't know what Disney plans to do with the property but I would expect some sort of Star Trek level reboot.
    In the opening of the movie:

Harrison Ford steals the Ark of the Covenant from the US gov. The plan goes haywire and the Feds are after Indy. Something wacky happens which causes the Ark to react and magical chaos insues knocking Indy and the Feds out.

After the title sequence:

Two eyes open and it is a younger actor as Indy snapping back to reality redoing the close of Raiders as two Gov suits explain to him the gov is keeping the Ark (which has reset time back to its boxing up at the warehouse).

BUT now the Gov offers a new adventure for Indy to help prevent Nazi world domination.

It ties into the past, and allows a good handoff / cameo for Ford

Disney, you can send me a check for this at:

CaptShazam
    Rock of Eternity
    Colorado Springs, Colorado.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    to me this is one case where recasting simply wouldnt be acceptable. Nor do I think any alternate reality / alter the timeline stuff would be appropriate either. plus its not something that you can into the future. the best they could do would be to find another great virtually unknown actor to play a young indiana jones with Ford appearing to set up the flash backs and narate the adventures. kindve like how they did the young indy show... only much better. or just let let the whole thing die with dignity.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    batlaw said:

just let let the whole thing die with dignity.

movie studio execs would think they were hearing pig latin spoken if they heard this.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ford is 71. And don't get me wrong he is an iconic piece of my childhood but we accept different actors as James Bond. There is no difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    random73 said:

Ford is 71. And don't get me wrong he is an iconic piece of my childhood but we accept different actors as James Bond. There is no difference.

Bond was played by Connery AFTER the books were released. Indiana Jones only existed after the Raiders of the Last Ark was made. Ford IS part of the source material. I cannot picture a new Die Hard movie with a new John McCLane cast.

I am sure there will be a time when Ford is replaced as the movie Indy. I won't be rushing to see it. If you're asking my opinion, I would rather not see a replacement anytime soon. He IS Indiana Jones. He IS Han Solo. The fact that there has been no talk about recasting Ford as Han if he doesn't/didn't sign for the new movies shows his importance to his iconic characters.

M
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Bond was played by Connery AFTER the books were released. Indiana Jones only existed after the Raiders of the Last Ark was made. Ford IS part of the source material. I cannot picture a new Die Hard movie with a new John McCLane cast.

I am sure there will be a time when Ford is replaced as the movie Indy. I won't be rushing to see it. If you're asking my opinion, I would rather not see a replacement anytime soon. He IS Indiana Jones. He IS Han Solo. The fact that there has been no talk about recasting Ford as Han if he doesn't/didn't sign for the new movies shows his importance to his iconic characters.

M
    Where lately I am warming up to Matt's strident opinions and outlook, John Maclaine is not the same as Indy as he is based on Nothing Last Forever by Roderick Thorpe. As a Die Hard devotee I hope Willis kills off Maclaine as he does not feel as iconic as Indy. Indy can live on forever like Bond or Sherlock. John Maclaine should die under a pile of rubble before I meet another child or cousin or grandchild. Die Hard has run its course. I could see a revamped Indy.
  • Options
    I am 44 and been a geek for 40 years. I have seen Star Trek become a world wide industry. I have seen The Avengers become a billion dollar product. I have seen comic book conventions leave Holiday Inn basements to shutting down cities. I have watched Doctor Who with my wife and children and seen it sell out a 3-D theatre. I have seen Spiderman on Broadway. I watch a 24 hour cartoon network. I am living beyond the wildest dreams of my 12 year old brain. I can see somebody else as Indiana Jones. I dont think this generation should hold onto a character like that. Let him live on. Crazier things have happened.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    shroud68 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Where lately I am warming up to Matt's strident opinions and outlook, John Maclaine is not the same as Indy as he is based on Nothing Last Forever by Roderick Thorpe. As a Die Hard devotee I hope Willis kills off Maclaine as he does not feel as iconic as Indy. Indy can live on forever like Bond or Sherlock. John Maclaine should die under a pile of rubble before I meet another child or cousin or grandchild. Die Hard has run its course. I could see a revamped Indy.
    True about Die Hard, but in Nothing Last Forever, the lead character is Joe Leland, so that's why I see it as being a Willis' specific character. That's why I see it similar to Indy, as the character is original, much like Indy. Bond and Sherlock were written before any actor portrayed the character and added his own 'angle' to the character.

I have not read the book, so I don't know how much of McClane's wittiness is actually based on Leland's personality. I think if McClane was Leland in the movie(s), I would feel different; I am aware of the ridiculousness of that statement.

I agree with the movies. I just got rid of the first 4 on DVD to upgrade to Blu-ray (Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie). I realized beyone 2 (3 is borderline), I don't really see the point in spending the money. I could watch 1 & 2 over and over, the others, not so much (especially the last one.)

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

shroud68 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Thanks, man.

True about Die Hard, but in Nothing Last Forever, the lead character is Joe Leland, so that's why I see it as being a Willis' specific character. That's why I see it similar to Indy, as the character is original, much like Indy. Bond and Sherlock were written before any actor portrayed the character and added his own 'angle' to the character.

I have not read the book, so I don't know how much of McClane's wittiness is actually based on Leland's personality. I think if McClane was Leland in the movie(s), I would feel different; I am aware of the ridiculousness of that statement.

I agree with the movies. I just got rid of the first 4 on DVD to upgrade to Blu-ray (Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie). I realized beyone 2 (3 is borderline), I don't really see the point in spending the money. I could watch 1 & 2 over and over, the others, not so much (especially the last one.)

M
    Matt said:

shroud68 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Thanks, man.

M
    Die Hard as your favorite Christmas movie? You are welcome in my house any Christmas eve. My sister still asks if we are watching my old VHS copy on the 24th. That's why watching the last one hurt.

Don't read the book or the book 2 is based on. They are very much of their time. Die Hard feels timeless despite the very 80's setting. It holds up beyond it's trappings much like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

Right there with you, my friend!

(I haven't even bothered with the last one.)
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Die Hard feels timeless despite the very 80's setting. It holds up beyond it's trappings much like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It's one of those films where everything worked.

Fantastic script, great characters, great direction, inventive action sequences, perfect amount of leavening humor, said humor comes from character rather than just throwaway puns, Alan Freaking Rickman!, Ode To Joy!, That Guy as the asshole reporter, That Other Guy as the asshole police lieutenant, the guy from the electric company, "shoot the glass", "Come out to the coast, we'll have some laughs.", "Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho.", the conversation with the police dispatcher, Al!, Al's Twinkies!, Hans Gruber's impression of an American.

Perfect. Goddamn. Movie.

Perfect.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    shroud68 said:

I am 44 and been a geek for 40 years. I have seen Star Trek become a world wide industry. I have seen The Avengers become a billion dollar product. I have seen comic book conventions leave Holiday Inn basements to shutting down cities. I have watched Doctor Who with my wife and children and seen it sell out a 3-D theatre. I have seen Spiderman on Broadway. I watch a 24 hour cartoon network. I am living beyond the wildest dreams of my 12 year old brain. I can see somebody else as Indiana Jones. I dont think this generation should hold onto a character like that. Let him live on. Crazier things have happened.

Could. Not. Agree. More.

Frankly, I am growing weary of Hollywood not being able to leave well enough alone. If they want to carry on, please for Pete's sake, reboot with a new lead actor and for the love of God not Shia LaBeouf. (I fully agree with @EarthGBilly)

Furthermore, how long before they reboot Back to The Future, Six Million Dollar Man, MacGyver, or Gremlins? Have they simply run out of new and clever ideas? Must they milk every single licensed property for all it's worth? Not to detract from the clever Sherlock BBC series mind you....
  • Options

Must they milk every single licensed property for all it's worth?

Yes.

They must.

That's how licensing works.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Right there with you, my friend!

(I haven't even bothered with the last one.)
    Don't.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2013
    WetRats said:

Must they milk every single licensed property for all it's worth?

That's how licensing works.
    What I mean to say is that I prefer it when they don't strip-mine the intellectual property as in churning out too much material, too fast, in too short of a time frame and thereby reducing its interest and charm. Such as what has happened lately with Green Hornet or the Six Million Dollar Man. Boom does it, Dynamite does too, and IDW often do it as well.

Furthermore, Disney is already planning to put out a new Star Wars motion picture every year, and they intend to do solo character films, a tv series, and much, much more in addition to all of the Dark Horse series'. Not to mention DH has been doing a decent series based on the first draft of the Star Wars script. What will be different about the swashbuckling archeologist tales?

I understand wanting to make a buck and strike while it's hot - we all know that Disney / Lucas are simply cashing in. (As for me, Lucas hasn't impressed me since he insisted that Han shot first. Even the Marvel Comic adaptation knew better. ) But is Indiana Jones that hot anymore? I don't think Disney will squander or mishandle the Lucasfilm produced properties anywhere near what Wildstorm did to the Thundercats property a decade ago, however, in case anyone may have forgotten, Shia LaBeouf portrayed Louis Stevens in the Disney show "Even Stevens" back in the day, and he starred in the last film, so it is VERY likely we can expect him to be the main protagonist in a new "Indiana Jones" franchise.

And of course, the "suck" of Disney and Star Wars goes way back:

http://youtu.be/GKSp1dVTrYk?t=2m34s
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Hasnt Shia LaBeouf sworn off big mainstream Hollywood projects? I was actually ok with him spinning off as Indy Jr. other than the timeline wouldnt have had much to offer and a couple other factors. regardless, that was before he seemingly went nutso too like every other actor.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Matt said:

M

Two of my alltime favorite Christmas movies are Die Hard and Lethal Weapon 1. It's a close rivalry and in any given year I can change my mind. The last 2/3 years Lethal Weapon has been in the lead. They are both so great.