Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

batman

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    That's only since about post-Crisis. Yes, there area bunch of clunkers in the mix. I'll steer you right, though. LOL

Glad you enjoyed YO & (so far) The Cult. My favorite Batman stories that I've listed all have defining moments to the character. They're the stories I'd immediately point to as why he's my favorite comic book character.

M
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm gonna have to dig out my issues of The Cult and re-read them. Had my favorite version of Jason Todd as Robin...you'll never doubt his coolness again. :)
  • Def dig it out again finshed 2nd part and its just wicked love they way he keeps seeing things and the way he sees/feels due to the drugs. Also the way he robs the couple in tje psrk for their food hahaha looking forward to psrts 3
  • Whats year 2 like worth a read

Whats year 2 like worth a read

I'd say add a lot of other storylines onto your list first. It felt more like a way to get Todd McFarlane some Batman work.

M
  • Oh ok haha not great then what about hush? I got suggested yr 2 snd hush that's all
    edited January 2014

Oh ok haha not great then what about hush? I got suggested yr 2 snd hush that's all

Hush is a complicated answer. Its a lot of flash with minor substance. There were interesting moments (the best Batman/Superman fight ever), touched on almost every keynote character, some elaborate sets (a revolver-type garage holder for the Batmobiles), but by the end it fizzles. There is a minor reveal that huge for character & the story, that seems completely crowbarred in.

My list of the best Batman stories in my original post, was missing the Killing Joke. It's not missing this one. I should've moved The Cult before Venom, & Death in the Family & Knightfall are tied for a spot. That means my Top Ten list has 1 spot open & Hush isn't it.*

Of course, be sure to keep in mind these are completely subjective to me. The Zero Year, Court of Owls, & Death IN the Family didn't sound interesting to me. They were to you. I'm not sure how many on my list you've read, let alone enjoyed. Hopefully, there's been more great reads then clunkers.

M

* I'd have to reread them, but #10 might be Batman/Predator, Speeding Bullets, or Batman: Son of the Demon.
  • I wont rush to read it then. Im sure I hesrd son of the demon is a good read so may look out for that.
    I just git part 4 left of the cult and its such a good story but real messed up haha I have now realised batman stories are crazy haha
    I think the best Batman stories have defining moments into his character:

Year One: the beginning
    Venom: 'no short cuts'
    Tower of Babel: ''master tactician'
    The Cult: 'being broken'
    Death in the Family: 'first soldier down'
    Knightfall: 'being broken...differently'
    Dark Knight Returns: 'why Bruce Wayne is the mask'
    Under the Hood: 'failures of the past'
    Lonely Place of Dying: 'healing'

M
  • Finished the cult and loved it def ny fav so fsr was not expecting bat man and robin to be driving a monster truck haha
    Now onto the killing joke
  • The tower of babel is that to do with jla and 4 parts or do I have the wrong thing

The tower of babel is that to do with jla and 4 parts or do I have the wrong thing

That is the story in JLA. Try to read the trade. There's a JLA: Secret Origins issue that's a compendium to the story. Its an important backstory to read AFTER the story.

M
  • Oh right think I just have the 4 not the origion issue.
    I have finished the killing joke and I thought it was ok not my fav though. It was real good for first hslf then the last half nothing really happened batman beat up joker and laughed at his joke haha also I didnt like the bat car.
    So now im on death in tbe family
  • Once you get past the classics and would like to check out some more other Batman comics I would recommend:

The early Legends of the Dark Knight books were set after Batman Year One. I really enjoyed some of these -

Shaman by Denny O'Neil - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=1989

Gothic by Grant Morrison - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2573

Prey by Doug Moench - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2574

Venom by Denny O'Neil - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2575

Blades by James Robinson - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2579

The Destroyer is a 3 part story that ran in Batman, LODK and Detective Comics, it was written by Alan Grant and Denny O'Neil. The architecture in the 1989 Batman film inspired the story. http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2373

Shane McCarthy wrote a cool Riddler story in Legends of the Dark Knight called "Riddle Me That' - http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=559

Christos Gage also wrote some good LODK issues - http://comicbookdb.com/creator_title.php?ID=366&cID=219&pID=1

Paul Dini's run on Detective Comics was pretty solid. A lot of good one and done issues that, at times put the Detective back in Detective Comics.
    List: http://comicbookdb.com/creator_title.php?ID=55&cID=2885&pID=1
    He also did a single Batman issue at the time: http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=160855

Besides these, I didn't see The Long Halloween, Dark Victory or Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale listed. The Long Halloween is excellent, while the others are pretty good too. If you are a Batman fan, I would check them out. I would also throw in Batman: Ego by Darwyn Cooke.

I can't speak to the current Batbooks. The only one I am currently reading is Batman Teamup (formerly Batman & Robin).

How about this though, there is a story I have been dying to track down but don't know the issue or title. From what I hear, Batman gets injected with a poison and he only has hours to live. A little girl has been kidnapped and he makes it his last dying act to save her. Does anyone have any idea about that one?

• Cheers jason i will def look into them im really into batman right this min
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Oh right think I just have the 4 not the origion issue.
    I have finished the killing joke and I thought it was ok not my fav though. It was real good for first hslf then the last half nothing really happened batman beat up joker and laughed at his joke haha also I didnt like the bat car.

look at those last couple of panels again. Bats does more than just beat him up. It is called The Killing Joke after all...
    random73 said:

look at those last couple of panels again. Bats does more than just beat him up. It is called The Killing Joke after all...
    There's theories, but if Babs' fate carried over, then Morrison's claim can't be correct.

M
  • So what did I miss haha I will have to go back and read last bit again

So what did I miss haha I will have to go back and read last bit again

It's that Batman snapped his neck & killed him. Hence "the killing joke."

M
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

M
    Spoiler alert :)

Matt said:

M
    Spoiler alert :)

I didn't so who...

M
    Matt said:

random73 said:

There's theories, but if Babs' fate carried over, then Morrison's claim can't be correct.

M
    I think Moore totally intended that last scene to be a death. We always pick and choose what parts of a story we want to latch on to and what parts we want to ignore. This is one of those times i seperate comic stories from each other like i seperate movie continuity from book continuity. Alan Moore's stuff, for me, is frequently its own thing apart from the rest of the DCU (whether it was intended that way or not). face it the dude kind of does what he wants. So they carry over Babs being wheelchair boud and of course we see the Joker again right away. but i still don't think that matters to the reading of that particular tale. its a "what if" for me. actually all comics are kind of "what ifs" for me because if we tried to shove all the continuity into a reasonable timeline it would be chaos. we take what we like and ignore the rest. or at least i do.

these characters have become such icons that their fictional history doesn't matter in a strictly linear sense of cause to affect. time is more of a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...that sentence got away from me. a bit.
    edited February 2014
    let the work speak for itself, i guess.

random73 said:

let the work speak for itself, i guess.

Then technically, it could've been Batman's death. Or both, they were both yucking it up.

M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited February 2014
    KIlling Joke was the first Alan Mordru story I really disliked.

I'm not saying it wasn't well done, just that it was thoroughly unpleasant.

Vile, even.
    Not based on that center image, i don't think. You can argue things lots of different ways i suppose but i think if you're trying to take the material on its own terms you only have one honest outcome.
    random73 said:

Not based on that center image, i don't think. You can argue things lots of different ways i suppose but i think if you're trying to take the material on its own terms you only have one honest outcome.

To be honest, up until I saw Morrison's comment about a year ago, I've always read the image as Batman placing his hand on Joker's shoulder because he was laughing so hard. If there would've been a thud or crack or snap sound or even an image to indicate Joker was laying lifeless on the ground, I'd agree.

M
    ...pool of blood didn't do it for you?
    random73 said:

...pool of blood didn't do it for you?

It's been a long time since I've read the story, but weren't they both bleeding from the fight? How would Batman had killed him, based on the center image, that would've pooled that much blood? Puncture wound? Blunt object strike?

M
    So, after reading the Morrison explaination you didn't go back and read killing joke again and go,"oh yeah! How'd i miss that!?". actually there is another scene that makes the argument stronger i think. that moment in the jail when Bats and Joker are talking about the ultimate need for one to kill the other.

imageimage

this is the thesis statement for the whole book, i think.