Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Crisis Tapes Talkback - Episode 09: Monitoring the Monitor Part 4

Twenty-five months later, The Crisis Tapes return! Concluding our examination of 1984, the final pre-Crisis year, through the lens of the multiple Monitor cameos planted throughout the DC Comics publishing line during that year. Featured are issues of Batman, DC Comics Presents, Superman, G.I. Combat, Jonah Hex, and The Warlord. (3:06:36)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Hey it's not showing up in the itunes feed. Not trying to be a jerk, but I need my fix and I will stab a geek.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    YES! Not as good as a new Time Bubble imo, but the next best thing!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    It's in a separate feed I think. I had to look for it with my podcatcher on my iPhone
  • Options
    Yes, you need to search for "Crisis Tapes" in your podcast app and it will show up as Comic Geek Speak Presents: The Crisis Tapes
  • Options
    Hmm. My iPhone is having problems downloading it... It appears as though there are two new episodes from yesterday but one has no title... I'll wait a while and try again.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I use the all in one feed so it should have shown up, but it's not a problem I just downloaded from the link.
    Just to let you know someone was going to get juuged (sp? never had to spell that particular slang). I got a pocket knife and it was on the verge.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    For what it's worth, I wish this series as well as future Time Bubbles would just show up on the main webpage list (http://comicgeekspeak.com/episodes.php), like you guys did today with Comics With Or Without Pulp.
  • Options
    Problem fixed. I saw a new version of episode 9 in my podcast feed this morning and it downloaded with ease. Kudos to whoever is working behind the scenes on the tech issues!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    A new episode of the Crisis Tapes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opT_JGssUVk

I can't wait to dig into it.

Thanks Adam !
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Great to see another Crisis episode. I have a question, is there any info on how Crisis sold? I assume it was a big success, but was it the biggest seller of the year?
  • Options
    There are few things in this world that make me happier than the arrival of a new Crisis Tapes or Time Bubble episode, and this was a belter.

I can offer little in the way of insight here, as I've never read a single one of these issues. well, that's not quite true – I've an extremely vague memory of owning the Forgotten Heroes on once upon a time. Suffice to say I feel much more illuminated after Mr @Adam_Murdough's synopses and dissections. Fantastic work. I particularly liked the lengthy letter - fascinating to hear how Crisis was presented in advance.

As to how to proceed from here, I for one am ready for the full Footnotes treatment on this (I've just recently blazed through the incredible Watchmen footnotes, so I'm hungry for more...), but on the other hand I am enjoying the four-year tease for issue #1.

What I would like at some stage, after the series itself and the aftermath, is an episode (or 12) focusing on the thesis... or is that too much to ask?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This came back... holy crap!

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

There are few things in this world that make me happier than the arrival of a new Crisis Tapes or Time Bubble episode, and this was a belter.

I can offer little in the way of insight here, as I've never read a single one of these issues. well, that's not quite true – I've an extremely vague memory of owning the Forgotten Heroes on once upon a time. Suffice to say I feel much more illuminated after Mr @Adam_Murdough's synopses and dissections. Fantastic work. I particularly liked the lengthy letter - fascinating to hear how Crisis was presented in advance.

As to how to proceed from here, I for one am ready for the full Footnotes treatment on this (I've just recently blazed through the incredible Watchmen footnotes, so I'm hungry for more...), but on the other hand I am enjoying the four-year tease for issue #1.

What I would like at some stage, after the series itself and the aftermath, is an episode (or 12) focusing on the thesis... or is that too much to ask?

I would listen to thesis that as a podcast/audiobook, read by Adam himself.
  • Options
    Loved this! Whenever @Adam_Murdough gets to dig in deep, I'm down with that. Listening to back episodes now to get the full Crisis skinny!
  • Options
    My head almost exploed with joy when I saw this was downloaded on my iTunes!! Thank you so much for coming back with this, Murd!! Great show!

You asked for some suggestions, and the only one I thought of might be one you already thought to do. This would be WAY later if you wanted to do it, but after you are done going through the actual Crisis story and the tie-ins, I would love a couple episodes or more talking about the changes that were made to the characters and titles after the event from the way they were before the event. For example, what was the situation with Superman before Crisis and then what was changed about Superman after Crisis.

I know I would find that very interesting and informative. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Murd,

this was awesome! Thank you for returning to the Crisis. I look forward to future installments (of this and the Time Bubble).

chris
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Adam,
    I'm sure you will get to this in the podcast but I was wondering your opinion on something that is seen several times in the DCU and that is the hand holding the Universe, also known I think as the DC Big Bang. Do you believe, like I do, that the hand is supposed to be the hand of the creators (writers, artists, etc)?

Loved this episode. Don't wait 2 years to do the next!

J.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Another great episode!

One thing though @Adam_Murdough - with regard to the Haunted Tank, I can't speak for the Crisis specific episodes, but the Haunted Tank was almost always a Stuart tank. Over the course of the episode, you made reference to it being a Sherman.

Part of the whole Haunted Tank story was that Jeb Stuart, a decendent of JEB Stuart was commanding a Stuart tank (typically, US tanks are named for US Army generals - the Stuart for JEB Stuart and the Sherman for Wm. Tecumseh Sherman). I think that there may have been a story in which they are forced to transfer into a Sherman but it was a touchy thing for the ghostly general to be forced to ride in the namesake of a Yankee general.
  • Options
    derekwilcderekwilc Posts: 11
    Hey, gang. I generally "passively" listen to the podcasts, while cleaning, working outside, and even going to bed. In one of my semi-conscious states, I recall Murd reading from Dick Giordano's meanwhile columns about Crisis itself, in which he introduces the creative team, and even remarks how they will all lose their minds because the concept is so massive (including Dick, himself, as he announced he was inking it).

Anyone recall where in the episode this occurred? I've been clicking through the episode, but can't find it. (It may have been the previous episode, if anyone recalls it.)
  • Options
    derekwilcderekwilc Posts: 11
    Never mind. Found it!!