Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1457 Talkback - Previews

Another month, another PREVIEWS! We go through the February catalog for items shipping to stores starting in April. (1:37:41)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The Transformers book @ShaneKelly and @JamieD were thinking of is ReGeneration One. I picked up the first few issues but decidied to hold off, the series is ending with #100 so I'm waiting for the hardcover collection.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Also @ShaneKelly, if you're looking for good Transformers series to read, I can't recommend MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE highly enough. ROBOTS IN DISGUISE is really good too, but MTMTE is superior.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Thor_El said:

Also @ShaneKelly, if you're looking for good Transformers series to read, I can't recommend MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE highly enough. ROBOTS IN DISGUISE is really good too, but MTMTE is superior.

Seconded. MTMTE broke the mold for TF storytelling. There is a lot of stuff from IDW's run that just doesn't get the accolades that it deserves. I would love to hear the guys thoughts on some of the subject material as it's presented through robotic characters instead of humans/humanoids. So much good discussion and debates to be had throughout IDW's run.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited February 2014
    The Ostrander Spectre is one of the best series DC put out in the 90s. It really is incredible and I never thought this series would get reprinted. This is a great lost gem of the 90s. I've got the issues so I'm passing on the trade, but man it is good comics.

IDW
    If you've not read the Parker novels and like the comics I would recommend trying out the Parker HC.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at the shock coming from a couple of the geeks about the Star Wars news about the movies not necessarily using all that's been written. The powers that be for Star Wars created this Story Group that will help maintain from here on out what is considered canon. It makes sense to me. And remember, nothing is being taken away, as far as what's already been published, from what you can read/re-read in the future, nor the memories you have of what you read in the past.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Never read a lot of Expanded Universe stuff, so the Star Wars decision doesn't really effect me much at all. I liked the Marvel Star Wars comics as a kid and the fact that those weren't "canon" never mattered one bit because I thought they were fun stories (Droid World FTW!). Enjoy what you enjoy and make your own headcanon out of it.

And honestly, if this streamlines things a bit, I'm all for it. One thing that always bugged me about Star Wars is that so much backstory that was considered "important" never even made it into the movies. You know how I knew Darth Vader was a Dark Lord of the Sith? Because of the trading cards and probably the storybook. I don't recall the word Sith ever being uttered once in the original trilogy (maybe the special editions, but even then I don't think so). If it's important to the movie, it should be in the movie!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Never read a lot of Expanded Universe stuff, so the Star Wars decision doesn't really effect me much at all. I liked the Marvel Star Wars comics as a kid and the fact that those weren't "canon" never mattered one bit because I thought they were fun stories (Droid World FTW!). Enjoy what you enjoy and make your own headcanon out of it.

I saw Headcanon open for Queensryche in '91.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Transformers recommendations! I will have to put those on the list.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited February 2014
    David_D said:

I saw Headcanon open for Queensryche in '91.
    before they sold out.....respect

\m/
  • Options
    The Transformers series that you were trying to think of where it picks up where the Marvel series left off is called Transformers: Regeneration One. It is on issue #98 right now and is supposed to end with issue #100.

I know a ton of people who love More Than Meets the Eye. I am the rare case it seems because I love Robots in Disguise more. Both are the two ongoing titles for the IDW version of the Transformers. The art and the story in Robots in Disguise reminds me more of the G1 cartoon that I grew up with. More Than Meets the Eye is different, but for me the story seems to take forever to progress to anything significant. Both titles have been fantastic with the current Dark Cybertron story.

In this month's Previews, the thing that jumped out at me, and it's Transformers related, is the book from IDW called Transformers Legacy. It's a book focused on the original box art of the Transformers toys. It's done by Jim Sorenson who had done a book for Transformers called The Ark that focused on the concept & design art for the G1 Transformers Sunbow cartoon, and he did two books called Field Manuals for G.I. Joe that focused on the concept & design art for the G.I. Joe Sunbow cartoon. I will definitely be getting the Transformers Legacy book and crossing my fingers that they do one for G.I. Joe also.
  • Options

And honestly, if this streamlines things a bit, I'm all for it. One thing that always bugged me about Star Wars is that so much backstory that was considered "important" never even made it into the movies. You know how I knew Darth Vader was a Dark Lord of the Sith? Because of the trading cards and probably the storybook. I don't recall the word Sith ever being uttered once in the original trilogy (maybe the special editions, but even then I don't think so). If it's important to the movie, it should be in the movie!

I am not happy about the decision, but only because I came to love a lot of the expanded universe characters that now might never be used again. I have read all of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics, and own all of them in one form or another (issues, trades, or hardcovers). I own all of the Star Wars novels (outside of the teen and kid ones) which is about 152 or 153 at this point. I have not read them all, but have started to do so for our show.

I think it's great that this is happening to help bring in people to the Star Wars EU stuff fresh and they have come out and said that everything will count now as much as the movies. So the comics and the books will all count as much as the movies going forward. We'll see how long they can really keep to that statement.

I will just view all of the past EU stuff as it's own separate continuity and will enjoy the new stuff as it comes out.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    As usual, a very helpful episode for me as I go through Previews. As for that Steranko artist's edition, well remember what Uncle Sal said (I think specifically referring to Steranko (plus Gil Kane and Neal Adams): when the creators treat you badly, don't take it personally. I won't be ordering it anyway (all of the artist's editions are way too expensive for my budget), but other people can go ahead and buy it if they can afford it. Oh, what were the three picks of the month again? Ah, maybe I can find them listed elsewhere.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    alienal said:

As usual, a very helpful episode for me as I go through Previews. As for that Steranko artist's edition, well remember what Uncle Sal said (I think specifically referring to Steranko (plus Gil Kane and Neal Adams): when the creators treat you badly, don't take it personally. I won't be ordering it anyway (all of the artist's editions are way too expensive for my budget), but other people can go ahead and buy it if they can afford it. Oh, what were the three picks of the month again? Ah, maybe I can find them listed elsewhere.

Amazing Spiderman #1 Flash Annual #3 and Solar Man of the Atom #1
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    This is the first time in almost 10 years I have had 0 DC in my monthly orders/pull lists.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks, Jamie D!