Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1460 Talkback - Top 5 JSA Members

The Geeks go for the gold in this episode, as they list and discuss their favorite characters, vintage and recent, who have served as members of the world's first superhero team: the Justice Society of America! (1:35:03)

Listen here. Keep 'em flying!

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    Nice! Was a huge JSA fan growing up. Always loved the JLA issues in the 70s where they'd visit Earth-2 and was in heaven when DC let them take over All-Star Comics, circa 1976 or so. Still have most of that initial run in my collection.

My top 5:

* Star-Spangled Kid
    * Dr. Fate
    * Flash
    * Wildcat
    * Power Girl :-)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2014
    You're killing me with this one. You could ask me this question multiple times a day and each time I would probably give you a diffrent answer.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    Listened to the 1st half hour or so. You guys touched briefly on the Seven Soldiers of Victory. How do they fit into DC Continuity? I never really understood their place. I remember them for the first time reading Justice League #102 and never really got it (although I instantly became a fan of the Star-Spangled kid because of it). It seemed like they were misplaced in time or something and both the JLA and JSA perceived them as outsiders. Anyone able to enlighten this poor dumb schmuck?
  • Options
    I guess my favorites of the original JSA would be...

Dr Fate
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Spectre
    Hourman
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The time during the late 90's and 2000's is becoming one of my favorites in DC history. The explosion of legacy characters and the embracing of history just made the DCU a fun place to explore.

I really appreciated Murd's short talk on the history of Captain Marvel. Those Fawcett stories aren't any more or less whimsical or goofy than anything else published at the time. The few issues of Captain Marvel Adventures I have contain stories that are down right Morrisonesque. It's only the 20 year gap in publishing that has caused the character to become mired in the perception that he's for kids.
    As for Johns' use of Cap in the JSA, I'm not much of a fan. I don't like the super-billy take on the character.

As for a top 5, the first three are easy
    1a. Green Lantern, Allen Scott - The Brians
    1b. Wildcat, Ted Grant - The Heart
    1c. The Flash, Jay Garrick - The Soul

The other pieces are interchangeable.
    I really liked Kendra as Hawkgirl. Hector Hall as Doctor Fate was interesting, and I loved the slight changes to the costume. Using Hippolyta as Wonder Woman at the beginning of the JSA run. Making sense of Hawkman!
    I also need to mention beautiful old school designs like Dr. Mid-Nite & Hourman.

I also need to mention my favorite Elseworld story, Liberty Files. Not only is it a great story, but the redesigns for Hourman (The Clock), Dr. Mid-Nite (The Owl), Mr. Terrific, Batman (The Bat), Superman are just fantastic.
  • Options
    I've been on a steady overdose of CGS podcasts the last couple of months after stumbling upon them on iTunes, and I have to say this was one of the more enjoyable episodes for me. Well done.

Can't remember who said it, but Ioved the description of Wildcat's powers as "using nothing more than his own two fists and buckets of grit."

And, finally, nice touch with Lionel Richie at the end, gentlemen.

• Options
    So looking forward to hearing this episode. I always like to put my top 5 lists before listening so that I am not swayed by anyone listed by all of you. Much like Greg, I love the JSA and if you asked me today and tomorrow, you would probably get a different list each day.

1) Sand/Sandman
    2) Starman (Jack Knight...a brief stint on the team, but awesome nonetheless)
    3) Dr. Fate
    4) Dr. Midnite (I loved the modern day origin story. I have it in trade and it was amazing)
    5) Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

Runners up: Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Atom Smasher, Star Girl, The Spectre, Hourman
  • Options
    Mr. Terrific
    Stargirl
    Powergirl
    Hourman
    Dr. Midnite
  • Options
    Dang! I forgot all about Johnny Thunder! Now I'll have to reconsider my top five...
  • Options
    Red Tornado (Ma Hunkle)
    Black Canary
    Wildcat
    Doctor Fate
    Stargirl
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Doctor Fate
    The Specter
    Dr. Mid-Nite
    Hawkman
    Captain Marvel
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Really had to give this one some thought... such a deep roster between the various incarnations, so many great characters to choose from. In no real order, my picks are:

Flash (Jay)
    Wildcat
    Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
    Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)
    Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

Honorable mentions:
    Starman (Ted... Jack's involvement with the JSA was so limited I don't think of him as really being a member)
    Hourman (the "intelligent machine colony from the 853rd century)
    Cyclone
    Green Lantern (Alan)
    Black Canary (the original, Dinah Drake)
    Power Girl
    Robin (Earth 2)
    Huntress (Helena Wayne, Earth 2)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just wanted to add that the show sounds great. I know some people are quick to post about things they don't like but the positives need to be acknowledged too. @JamieD and the other Geeks are doing a faaaaaantastic job.
  • Options
    5. Dr. midnight
    4. Flash
    3. Liberty Belle
    2. Cyclone
    1. Powergirl
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I just wanted to add that the show sounds great. I know some people are quick to post about things they don't like but the positives need to be acknowledged too. @JamieD and the other Geeks are doing a faaaaaantastic job.

Thanks, I am really trying to make sure we sound good and its nice to hear we are succeeding

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Flash
    Doctor Fate
    Powergirl
    Captain Marvel
    Green Lantern
  • Options
    I love these Top 5 episodes! Keep 'em coming!

Wildcat
    Captain Marvel
    Flash
    Stargirl
    Powergirl
  • Options
    Glad to see Power Girl getting a little more love from the listeners than the hosts!
  • Options
    Bonobil said:

I love these Top 5 episodes! Keep 'em coming!l

Can't wait for the CGS "Top 5 Members of the Fantastic Four" podcast!

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited February 2014

Can't wait for the CGS "Top 5 Members of the Fantastic Four" podcast!

Ben
    Black Panther
    She Hulk
    Spiderman

honorable mention: Ghost Rider
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited February 2014
    Stargirl
    Captain Marvel
    Hawkman (specifically Johns' return to glory for Carter Hall)
    Hawkgirl (Kendra)
    Jessie Quick/Liberty Belle

Honorable Mention: Jay Garrick
  • Options
    jpb13jpb13 Posts: 4
    Love the top 5 JSA, a title that deserves more love as well as the classic All Star Squadron & even the Young All Stars.

Top 5 in no particular order
    Hawkman (with hawk mask, not the yellow face,
    Mask)
    Power Girl
    Hourman (the robot)
    Doctor Midnight (the classic)
    Black Adam (loved that dynamic)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Power Girl
    Star Girl
    Hawkgirl
    Huntress
    Jessie Quick/Liberty Belle

Top 5 JSA (ladies only version)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was happy to hear the love for the 90s JSA books, both the 8 issue mini-series and the sadly short-lived ongoing (just 10 issues long... the greater comics buying public doesn't know from good!). The ongoing is a particular favorite of mine thanks to the gorgeous artwork of the late Mike Parobeck, a guy whose work I've never felt has been appreciated the way it should be. I'd love to own one of his JSA pages some day... definitely a comics holy grail for me.
  • Options

I was happy to hear the love for the 90s JSA books, both the 8 issue mini-series and the sadly short-lived ongoing (just 10 issues long... the greater comics buying public doesn't know from good!). The ongoing is a particular favorite of mine thanks to the gorgeous artwork of the late Mike Parobeck, a guy whose work I've never felt has been appreciated the way it should be. I'd love to own one of his JSA pages some day... definitely a comics holy grail for me.

Parobeck was a terrific artist. It’s a pity he died so young. And it’s a shame that series didn’t last longer. It was a ton of fun.
  • Options
    Okay, finally had a chance to listen to the episode. Before I give my list, I should say that while The Super Friends/Justice League of America was my first super-team, the JSA will always be my favorite. As a 5-year-old, I got a copy of the Famous First Edition: Flash Comics #1—one of the treasury-size reprint books DC put out in the mid-’70s. A few months later I got All-Star Comics #59—the second issue of the relaunched JSA series. And the following year I got the book that sealed the deal, DC Special #29 (“The Untold Origin of the Justice Society”). So it’s no wonder that most of my list features the Golden Age originals.

#5) Power Girl — My favorite of the Super Squad characters introduced in the All-Star ’70s relaunch, PG is one non-original to make the list. Like everyone else on this list, my initial attraction to the character was the visual. I love her design: the short hair, the simple white with the blue and red accents, the low-slung belt, the cape over one shoulder, and, yes, the “window”—a very distinctive look. That was the hook, but the sinker was her attitude. I always enjoyed her interactions with Wildcat and Huntress in particular.

#4) Wildcat — Again, I love the costume. And as @JamieD mentioned, I love his rough-and-tumble, down to earth nature. And unlike a lot of the Golden Age heroes, his early stories are actually pretty good. One of my favorite convention sketches is a color marker sketch of Wildcat done by his co-creator Irwin Hasen.

#3) Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson) — This one is almost entirely down to the costume design—and for the record, I loath the half-mask. Worst. Idea. Ever. It took away everything about Dr. Fate that made him cool. If you go back and read the Golden Age stories (and I have), please just stop reading when you get to where the mask is changed (which occurs far too soon)—those stories are terrible. The earliest stories though, while a bit rough, have a weird Lovecraftian vibe, where he’s fighting evil wizards and mad scientists and ancient underwater races—cool stuff. And Howard Sherman’s art on those stories really fits the mood.
    Dr. Fate also holds a special place with me because he’s what got me going to the comic shop regularly after a few years of being mostly out of comics. A promotional poster for the DeMatteis/MacManus series from the late ’80s drew me in like a moth to a flame.

#2) Hawkman (Carter Hall) — Reincarnated Egyptians, ancient weapons of history, and a super-cool costume—what more do you need? I’ve loved Hawkman since I read his origin in that treasury when I was 5. I mean, I like the sci-fi Hawkman too, but I prefer the original. Plus, his Golden Age strips featured some of best artists All-American (and later DC) had to offer—Dennis Neville, Sheldon Moldoff (even if he was blatantly swiping Alex Raymond), and especially a young Joe Kubert.

#1) Sandman (Wesley Dodds) — The pulpiest of the JSA heroes, and the coolest looking outside of Hawkman. It intrigued me that he would leave poems with his victims as his calling card. I got a book when I was fairly young that featured nothing but Golden Age covers, and one of the Adventure Comics covers featuring Sandman was included. It was one of my favorite covers in the book. Something about it made me want to know more about him. And those Golden Age stories were pretty decent, and the artwork was well above average, particularly Creig Flessel’s stuff. The Sandman Mystery Theater series is one of my all-time faves, which doesn’t hurt.

The cover I was talking about:
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited February 2014
    Most of my JSA interest comes from buying Justice League of America Volume 1 #55 and borrowing #56 from my cousin. I was so crestfallen that I had missed #56 after a few months had passed, so when I saw my cousin had it, I was so excited! I loved the 2nd part of the story much more than the first so whoever was on #56's cover are the JSAers I've picked.
    1. Hourman: Oh, yeah, it's stupid to take a pill that only lasts 1 hour, but hey that costume is AWESOME. The hood, the hour glass necklace, etc.
    2. Wildcat: I was only 11 years old, so when I first saw this character I thought that Batman had lost his cape! But then I liked his simple origin and the fact that he was a boxing champ, relying on his skills and as someone above mentioned, "his grit."
    3. Mr. Terrific: "Fair Play" I thought it was so usual to have a character wearing a uniform with a slogan on it. So golden age style!
    4. Hawkman: Personally, I like the yellow-face mask. It's what separates him from the Earth-1 Hawkman. I like Hawkgirl also, but she's not on the cover.
    5. Johnny Thunder and T-Bolt: Yeah, he played a large part of the story in JLA #55 and I liked how he helped defeat the orbs that kicked the other superheroes butts....
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/21/13877_20051129231705_large.jpg
  • Options
    Shane, I was so happy to hear you put Sand/Sandman in your top 5. I thought I was the only person who liked him enough to have him in their top 5 members. I loved that covert ops looking costume he wore near the beginning of the late 90s JSA series. His sand powers were cool. I liked that he became chair of the JSA. And then I really enjoyed that he was passed down the ability to have premonition dreams. Just a great character...and I kinda like what they have done with the Sandmen in the Earth 2 book, but I would like to see more of them.

Great show, guys. I always love the top 5 lists.
  • Options
    The JSA is probably my favorite team of all time. Trying to narrow down my favorite five is almost like trying to pick my five favorite kids. (It's a good thing in real life I only have three kids.) However, just to play along at home, I think my picks would be... (In no order)

Flash - Jay is the heart of the team in my opinion. You have to have Flash on the team, or it isn't even a JSA.

Star Girl - She brought an innocence to the team that I loved. Watching her grow into her role was one of the things I liked most about the team in recent years.

Red Tornado - Here's where I may get some nay sayers. It's not Ma Huckle, but the CURRENT Red Tornado from Earth-2, Lois Lane. (Spoilers. Sorry if you didn't know) I think this is a very fun idea full of potential and I can't wait to see how they flesh this one out. I loved this idea from the first second.

Dr. Fate - As many have said, this character is visually awesome. I've loved every version of this costume (including the current one) and I think the character is great as well.

Superman (Kal-L) - For all the reasons that Murd described. He Is everything a hero should be. He is a leader because the others respect him so much. He's a hero because it's right and he can be. He is the first!

If you want to see my list of honorable mentions, just look at the membership roster on Wikipedia. :).
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    1. Green Lantern - Alan Scott
    2. Power Girl
    3. Hawkman (Golden Age)
    4. Dr. Midnight
    5. Sandman