Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Alan Moore's Supreme... any plans for new collections?

With Alan Moore's final Supreme script made into an actual comic book at last as a way to kick off the new issues from Erik Larsen, has anyone heard if Image has any plans to re-collect the complete Moore Supreme? There were the 2 books from Checker about 5-10 years ago which are alright, but the printing was pretty sub-par so many issues look really grainy. Inconsistent art aside, this was a really great run, some of the best Superman stories ever told without actually using Superman, and all kinds of the sorts of Valentines to Comics of Yesteryear that people loved when Moore was writing 1963, and it really deserves to be collected in a better (or at least more legible) format.

Comments

• I wish they would.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hear, hear-- I have heard excellent things about that run, and I have never read a bit of it. Here's hoping it gets a better reprint soon.
  • The day Image does that is the day I start lobbying, hard, to revive the "Book of the Month" episodes. Rarely have I so hotly anticipated the (increasingly erratic) release of a monthly comic, especially one from a non-Big Two publisher, as I did Moore/Sprouse/Veitch's Supreme in the late '90s. I'd love to find out if the other Geeks might share my enthusiasm for the material, but first, of course, a.) I'd have to cajole them into taking the time to read it, and b.) Image would have to put the stuff back into print.

Speaking of which, would Image even be legally able to reprint the original run? The Liefeld/Image schism happened after only a few issues had seen print, and most of the run was published under Liefeld's own Maximum/Awesome banner. Liefeld himself may have made peace with Image, but the Moore Supreme rights may be a little harder to bring back to the fold, especially if Checker still has some claim to them.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've not gotten this far in my Supreme reading yet....
    you only think I'm half joking.....
    Please Image reprint this soon.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Speaking of which, would Image even be legally able to reprint the original run? The Liefeld/Image schism happened after only a few issues had seen print, and most of the run was published under Liefeld's own Maximum/Awesome banner. Liefeld himself may have made peace with Image, but the Moore Supreme rights may be a little harder to bring back to the fold, especially if Checker still has some claim to them.
    Well, with the book back at Image and the end of that run being completed so as to make way for the new one, I'd have to think that the groundwork has been laid even if no official decisions have been made. And I think the Checker editions are out of print, anyway, so I don't know how much interest they'd have even if they did have a legal leg to stand on in terms of blocking Image. But I figure Liefeld's got a pretty devoted fanbase, and Moore obviously does, so I bet there'd be enough interest to get this back into print should Image and Rob and whomever else (but probably excluding Alan himself, I bet) would be want this to happen.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The day Image does that is the day I start lobbying, hard, to revive the "Book of the Month" episodes.
    @Adam_Murdough Does your emphasis on the "hard" mean that you ARE actually lobbying for the return of the "Book of the Month"? Just not "hard" enough yet? Let's hope you get a reason to push it harder..... [-O<

And after having, just recently, discovered Supreme (with issue #63), I'd also love to go back and read some more of Moore's take on it.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    It's a fantastic run, with some superb art by Rick Veitch as he lovingly recreates art from all the different eras, and artists of Superman's history.
  • I need to pull out my issues and re-read this now. I jumped on late (I had a hard time believing Supreme by Alan Moore would be any different than Spawn/W.I.L.D.Cats - boy, was I wrong), but once I did, it was at the top of the pile whenever it came out, even with some of the artists who were on that - Veitch and Sprouse being obvious exceptions.
    I love this run.

chris
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'd read it, and I've only read a few Supreme stories before.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I have been slowly,and cheaply,collecting every issue of Supreme. Really besides the Moore run it is a 90s era pissed off Superman that kills. Nothing special but I doubt I have paid more than 50 cents an issue for any issue.