Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

52! - 52 finished

Comments

• Options
    jkkeller914jkkeller914 Posts: 58

Nightshade had only made a single appearance during the 60's in a three-part series in Showcase by Denny O'Neil and Berni Wrightson (covers by Kubert).

You sure about that? I thought Nightshade was a Charlton Comics character, admittedly from the 60's. DC didn't debut her until Crisis on Infinite Earths after acquiring the rights to the Charlton heroes (Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Peacemaker, et al..)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Nightshade had only made a single appearance during the 60's in a three-part series in Showcase by Denny O'Neil and Berni Wrightson (covers by Kubert).

You sure about that? I thought Nightshade was a Charlton Comics character, admittedly from the 60's. DC didn't debut her until Crisis on Infinite Earths after acquiring the rights to the Charlton heroes (Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Peacemaker, et al..)
    D'oh!

You are, in fact, correct.

I was confusing her with her Shadowpact teammate, Nightmaster.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    So I've finished Omac now and have also polished off Villains United.

Omac was ok, not great, but I would assume it really sets up the start of Infinite Crisis. It tied up a lot of loose ends from the Sacrifice trade which was nice.

I really enjoyed Villains United though. Much like Day of Vengeance this book introduced me to a load of new characters. Catman, the 'heroic villain' of the book was an interesting character, I'm assuming he was reinvented for this story? I enjoyed his interaction with Deadshot, was there any spin off books with these two? There was a perfect end for that. But maybe their story just continues in Infinite Crisis.

Quite enjoyed the Ragdoll and Parademon relationship too, this brought a few laughs along the way.

All in all I would have been quite happy to continue reading a story with these quys in.

In other news I see there is a $0.99 sale on all 52 book this week. Perfect opportunity for me to pick up the Four Horseman and Black Adam aftermath books on the cheap!

Now onto INFINITE CRISIS! Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Well just read the first two issues. A lot to take in.

One thing these issues have done, is make me want to go back and read the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. Which I've never read.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    As Shadowpact follows Day of Vengeance, Secret Six follows Villains United and Checkmate follows OMAC Project.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    luke52 said:

Well just read the first two issues. A lot to take in.

One thing these issues have done, is make me want to go back and read the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. Which I've never read.

Yeah, read CoIE and then read IC again. Things will make even more sense.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    I agree with @Mr_Cosmic‌ it will make a lot more sense. And the OH SNAP moments will payoff that much more in Infinite Crisis.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Marathon said:

As Shadowpact follows Day of Vengeance, Secret Six follows Villains United and Checkmate follows OMAC Project.

Those were 3 great books. Shadowpact, Secret Six, and Checkmate were incredibly awesome (well Checkmate was up to when Rucka left. the last story was pretty bad).
  • Options
    Now that I look I've realised Secret Six is the Simone/Calafiore book I've heard so much good about. Think this may be next on the hit list for me to pick up.

Also just listened to Infinite Crisis 1 episode from them guys. Great listening as usual. Great to hear Jamie's no nonsense wit in full swing. Makes me sad and happy all at once.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2014
    @luke52‌, I know it probably doesn't help now, but if you are interested...
    Also, if anyone else wants to get in on this series for not a lot of $$$
    Cheers!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

@luke52‌, I know it probably doesn't help now, but if you are interested...
    Also, if anyone else wants to get in on this series for not a lot of $$$
    Cheers!

Thanks @fredzilla‌ I'll probably pick up the two follow up books here. Black Adam and The Four Horsemen mini's.

• Options
    Infinite Crisis... Quite a story. I'm so happy to have been able to listen along with the geeks for each issue. There was so much going on it was quite a lot to take in.
    I will for sure want to go back and read the original crisis, which I hope will give some more of the plot points that added oomph.

Some of my highlights were the superboy fight going into the Flash's carrying off Superboy Prime into the Speed Force. Great visuals.
    I really liked the way the story got the big three to their lowest points before they kicked into their usual heroic ways.
    Liked the throw back in the last issue with The Joker from the second issue too.

Think i will really need to read it again after reading Crisis on Infinite Earths to get the full Infinite Crisis experience though.

Next up will be the Infinite Crisis Companion, which will add something to all of the minis.
  • Options
    So I got through the companion and JLA: World without Justice League. JLA was ok and the Rann-Thanagar War special has made me want to go on to get the Holy War trades. Is it worth getting?

I've had a bit of time to let Infinite Crisis sink in now and while I did enjoy the epic scale of it all I think I prefered Identity Crisis more. I liked the more personal, character driven story compared to the worldwide, universe impacting story.

Anyway, now onto what got this whole read-a-thon going... 52!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I enjoyed Holy War. If you've read and enjoyed Starlin's work in the past you should like this too.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I enjoyed Holy War. If you've read and enjoyed Starlin's work in the past you should like this too.

Thanks, looks like another book to add to the list.
  • Options
    So just got through the first five weeks of 52. I'm loving it so far.

This is my sorta comics. A lot going on, but in some very different storylines. Crazy seeing what happened to Firestorm and Cyborg merging together! And you just know Buddy Baker and Adam Strange trapped on a perfect tropical island world with a naked Starfire is gonna cause some problems! (I guess these two groups come off the back of the Holy War story do they?)
    The Question and Montoya story has me asking... Well questions.
    And Black Adam is gonna be a good one, killing these villains in such brutal ways, all in the name of justice!?!?

I can see 52 being the cause of some late nights' reading!
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    If you get around to it, I would say the only "required reading" when it comes to the big lantern related events taking place around this time, you should try "Sinestro Corps War". Blackest Night is great and all, but you really need to pick and choose what you read there. Alot of the tie-ins were rubbish.

So if you're on the fence at all about Lantern stuff and if you're not sure if you want to get involved with it, try "Sinestro Corps War". If you don't like that, you're not going to like any of it.
  • Options
    I've read Blackest Night and did really enjoy it. But didn't get any of the tie ins. Sinestro Corps Wars came before Blackest Day right?

I keep meaning to get round to picking up Brightest Day too, just haven't got round to it yet. I've heard Swamp Thing has a part to play in this somehow and I'm a big Swampy fan.

I would like to also check out the Rebirth storyline that's been mentioned on this thread.

My 'to read' list just get longer and longer :)
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Sinestro Corps did come before Blackest Night.

Brightest Day was pretty good (at least the Firestorm, Aquaman and Deadman bits) though Swamp thing wasn't involved until the very tail end.

Rebirth is good, as it explains how Hal went from GL to Parallax and from Parallax to Spectre and back to GL.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    luke52 said:

I've read Blackest Night and did really enjoy it. But didn't get any of the tie ins. Sinestro Corps Wars came before Blackest Day right?

I keep meaning to get round to picking up Brightest Day too, just haven't got round to it yet. I've heard Swamp Thing has a part to play in this somehow and I'm a big Swampy fan.

I would like to also check out the Rebirth storyline that's been mentioned on this thread.

I will agree with @CageNarleigh‌ that there is not much Swamp Thing in Brightest Day. In my opinion, being a Swamp Thing fan is not reason enough to read that series. (Which had its moments. . . but was no 52!)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    The fun thing about this thread is that it reminds me of how exciting DC was during this period, and hwo they really seemed to be firing on all cylanders.

The sad thing abotu this thread is that I am not reading anyting in the DC Universe proper anymore simply because I don't care about the new versions of the characters and the house art style.

Wake me up when DC gets a new Editor in Chief.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

D'oh!

Ah! That makes more sense! I was going to say, Nightshade had a lengthy run in the excellent John Ostrander Suicide Squad, and a lot of the evolution that happened to her in that run made her the character that appeared in Shadowpact. In the Charlton days, her powers were more sci-fi in nature, but Ostrander added an element of mysticism to it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    David_D said:

luke52 said:

I will agree with @CageNarleigh‌ that there is not much Swamp Thing in Brightest Day. In my opinion, being a Swamp Thing fan is not reason enough to read that series. (Which had its moments. . . but was no 52!)
    Generation Lost is the one to read; it was better than brightest day and deals with our boy Max Lord.
  • Options
    The last couple weeks I've been crazy busy with things so haven't had much of a chance to post here, or even read as much as I'd've liked.

But I am now half way through 52. And I'm loving it so far.

Particularly enjoying the Animal Man/Adam Strange/Starfire story, as well as the Montoya/Question storyline at the moment.

With half left I'm excited to see where the story goes next!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Paul said:

D'oh!

Ah! That makes more sense! I was going to say, Nightshade had a lengthy run in the excellent John Ostrander Suicide Squad, and a lot of the evolution that happened to her in that run made her the character that appeared in Shadowpact. In the Charlton days, her powers were more sci-fi in nature, but Ostrander added an element of mysticism to it.
    Someone really ought to do a Suicide Squad podcast...
  • Options
    I don't know how you guys could have read this as a weekly. I finish one issue and need to read the next immediately. I'm getting through volume 4 real quick... Even tho my reading time is well down with the World Cup going on too!
  • Options
    52 issues done!

All in all i really enjoyed the series.

I must admit, and I'd be interested to hear what everyone thought, after the Black Adam rampage and World War III (which wasn't great), the last couple issues were a little disappointing. They felt a little too rushed for me and tried to cram in too much, whilst also leaving a few plot points hanging. I know this was always going to happen, so as to lead into the Aftermath minis, but it just didn't all tie up as nicely as I was hoping/expecting.
    As mentioned above I really didn't like WWIII, I think few of you mentioned before that it wasn't required reading and I actually thought it lessened what was a really strong storyline with Black Adam.

That being said and those minor negatives aside it was a really great story and journey I'm still loving. The Question/Montoya storyline was as heartbreaking as it was enthralling. The genius villains on Oolong Island added some great comedic value. And then the Animal Man, Adam Strange, Starfire and Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Supernova added some really cool cosmic elements.

This series really did have it all. I now have a few Aftermath minis to read and I'll be calling this eye opening journey to an end. Up next, courtesy of @Marathon‌ I'll be reading the Crime Bible Aftermath. After that The Four Horseman, then Black Adam. I may also get the Booster Gold trade if I can get it cheap somewhere. But that will be it my journey will be at an end.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    What??? Your ending before countdown?!?... Actually that's a good call.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Yes, that is a good call. I liked the concept of Countdown however it just didn't do it for me at all.
  • Options
    Yeah, I haven't heard much good about Countdown. Thought it best to stop at the top.

But who knows, I may decide to go on to it sometime in the future.